The online racing simulator

that makes me wonder what kind of deviants im attracting to my server
maybe theyre using the demo or s1 ?
Its entirely possible. To be honest, without a network capture of some kind, or some form of debugging mode from Scawen, I dont think we'd know
Quote from ATM :Everything work great, but admin password doesn´t seem to work, I put it instead of normal password if I connect locally, but I don´t have rights..

EDIT: Deticated server

Probably too many // infront of the admin=password in the config.

Make sure its only ONE / eg:

/admin=password

instead of

//admin=password
ok i can get my server running, but how do i change the name of the server? help!
You'll find the name of the server, amongst other things, in the config file. By default its the setup.cfg file, unless you've told it to use a different one.

The directive you want to edit is the "/host" one.
im having issues logging in as a host on the server... meaning im running my server, i connect to it. Then for example i want to restart the server. I have a admin password, but what do i type to login to an admin on the server and what are the basic commands ingame to type in to restart everything, etc etc... Thankz
To use the admin you simply put the admin password in the password box when joining your server.

There is a list somewhere for the admin commands. Do a search on the forum (i would but im on my lunch break )
yea that worked great, now all my buddies can admin the server. DOPE. how do you add custom objects to maps, like extra cones and such ? if there a setting you have to edit on the server, or place the changes ?
Take 2 at typing this;

Either place a pre-made lyt file in x:\Path\To\LFS\Dedicated\data\layout (which will be autoloaded each time you change map), or login as an administrator and press Shift + U and place in the usual way. You have the option to save here also.

With regards to your friends being admins, the /admin directive sets the administrator password. Make that different from the game password, dont tell them and restart the server. Voila.
AutoX
Are there any way to automatically launch a AutoX-layout when the server changes track?

I have made i bunch of Anti-cheat-layouts for the RallyCross stages and would like to have these autoloaded whenever someone changes the tracks.

- I really do hate that cheat/shortcut in FE-Green

/regards, JH
Yup, if you pop the lyt files into the data\layout folder, the server should automatically load them. If I remember correctly, if there are multiple lyt files for the track, it loads the first one it finds (although I could be wrong - its been some time since I've done this).

Remember that you need to keep the track "name" as the file name prefix though. i.e. BL1_<your name>.lyt, otherwise it wont load them.
Bummer. I saw that in your earlier post but it doesn't seem to work. Well, i must be doing something wrong. They are called FE6R_FIX.lyt and FE6_FIX.lyt - but nothing happens..

EDIT> Well, it works now - maybe you have to load them once via the /autoX -command? I dunno, but i'm happy - THX!
when i try to connect to MY server, i get a Clientconnect: connection faild

what do i need to do?

200th post im getting there
Quote from anbiddulph :what do i need to do?

Provide more information, "my server" doesn't really say if you're running the server on a local or remote machine, if you're trying to connect locally or thru the master server, etc.
Hey filur, excellent guide. Cheers.

Here are some additions for the linux / screen part:

1) Better use switches -d -m by default, to immediately detach from the terminal. Very useful for startup scripts.

E.g.

screen -d -m -S "$NAME" wineconsole --backend=curses LFS.exe /cfg=$CFG

2) A mini guide for screen for anyone not familiar with it:

While in screen:
(edit --- this was wrong previously, + some more stuff added)
CTRL-A D : Detach from terminal
CTRL-A C : Create a new "window" in this screen session
CTRL-A N : Next window
CTRL-A P : Previous window

Some useful command lines:
screen -ls : View current screen's.
screen -r : Resume a detached screen
screen -r <number> : Resume a detached screen with PID <number>, in case of multiple screens running (say, multiple LFS dedicated servers)
Quote from filur :Provide more information, "my server" doesn't really say if you're running the server on a local or remote machine, if you're trying to connect locally or thru the master server, etc.

im running on internet not local on my computer, ive done evrything i was told to
Quote from avellis :Hey filur, excellent guide.

It's not like I'm in it for the fame and glory, but that was his first post in the topic :P

Quote from anbiddulph :im running on internet not local on my computer, ive done evrything i was told to

Ok, lets go back to the beginning;
* Whats the OS? Windows (which version)? Linux (if so, which distro?)?
* Do you have any firewall on, or in front of the machine at all?
If you can provide us with as much information as possible, such as where the server is, what OS its on, any software / services / daemons running on the machine, etc. etc. We may beable to help.
Quote from the_angry_angel :It's not like I'm in it for the fame and glory, but that was his first post in the topic :P

Ok, lets go back to the beginning;
* Whats the OS? Windows (which version)? Linux (if so, which distro?)?
* Do you have any firewall on, or in front of the machine at all?
If you can provide us with as much information as possible, such as where the server is, what OS its on, any software / services / daemons running on the machine, etc. etc. We may beable to help.

er,i run on XP and i have no firewall on.
i have forwarded all the neceserry ports

oh yeah,when you are in network connection settiongs do you have the TCP/IP on or off and since its clientconect, what about the client for microsoft networks?

does it matter if you use a wireless connection on a laptop by any chance?
Quote from the_angry_angel :It's not like I'm in it for the fame and glory, but that was his first post in the topic :P

oooops. lol, sorry for that Hope you're not angry with me.
Hm... I had to ask this in this post as it is somehow related and these peeps are great, hehe.

For a LFS server... Does the computer/server/thing need a video card? Or maybe like a very cheap one and work normally anyways for the people that will access it through the internet?
#47 - Jakg
Quote from Knight_Atack :For a LFS server... Does the computer/server/thing need a video card? Or maybe like a very cheap one and work normally anyways for the people that will access it through the internet?

nope, an onboard one will work fine with the dedi or client hosting
Quote from avellis :oooops. lol, sorry for that Hope you're not angry with me.

Hehe, don't worry about it I hope it didn't sound as mean it may have been I just meant it as a friendly dig

Quote from Knight_Atack :For a LFS server... Does the computer/server/thing need a video card? Or maybe like a very cheap one and work normally anyways for the people that will access it through the internet?

As Jakg says, you don't need anything. I even run a test server occasionally on a headless box (i.e. no video output at all); If you run it in invisible mode that is, its usually fine for machines that like.

Quote from anbiddulph :oh yeah,when you are in network connection settiongs do you have the TCP/IP on or off and since its clientconect, what about the client for microsoft networks?

You shouldnt have to touch the network connection settings at that low a level, whatever. Turning off TCP/IP will cause your network connection to stop working since most common connections use TCP these days.

What I'm just trying to get is a picture of your network infrastructure. I think its like this?

* Internet * <--> * Router * < --> * Your Server PC? *

Out of interest, who provides your internet connection?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Hehe, don't worry about it I hope it didn't sound as mean it may have been I just meant it as a friendly dig

As Jakg says, you don't need anything. I even run a test server occasionally on a headless box (i.e. no video output at all); If you run it in invisible mode that is, its usually fine for machines that like.

You shouldnt have to touch the network connection settings at that low a level, whatever. Turning off TCP/IP will cause your network connection to stop working since most common connections use TCP these days.

What I'm just trying to get is a picture of your network infrastructure. I think its like this?

* Internet * <--> * Router * < --> * Your Server PC? *

Out of interest, who provides your internet connection?

internet= 1mb

router= belkin
server pc= acer aspire laptop 1.5ghz 512ram

out of interest= my dad
Quote from Quint999 :Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded. Make sure that your X server is running
if youve any good pointers to get wine / lfs running i'd very much appreciate it, thanks

My guess would be - change /dedicated=nogfx to /dedicated=invisible, which i'd guess would stop LFS from trying to create a window.

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG