The online racing simulator
Last Lap Motorsports
(359 posts, started )
Quote from kingcars :Ray, are you not gonna write about your nice roof slide in GT3 cup?

Oh yeah I forgot about your 5th place in the FXR . I will.
Mindaugas "Efexas16" Bartusevičius has left the team.
He left a week ago :P
Although with that said, Ainius and Pauliko were also removed for inactivity, the former being inactive once again after being re-added to the team.
Cleaning out the Lithuanians,eh?
Quote from prOmo_LTU :Cleaning out the Lithuanians,eh?

All of them except for karolis are active for about 1 monththen dissapear for months at a time.
very good team, one day when i buy s2...
We have removed "Abasc" Sico "Knarf" from our team for inactivity.
I think you evaluate the size of your team on the numbers of active members, but I don’t see why the inactive members could be a problem, I mean a team should be like a family and you don’t remove your brother from the family because he didn’t show up for a year. And I think everyone is very happy to see him if he comes back… It is not like it is costing money to keep them on the team list…any way I don’t get it, so could you explain why plz?
I guess it's pretty much up to him if he keeps the inactive members or not :P
Quote from Framaris :I think you evaluate the size of your team on the numbers of active members, but I don’t see why the inactive members could be a problem, I mean a team should be like a family and you don’t remove your brother from the family because he didn’t show up for a year. And I think everyone is very happy to see him if he comes back… It is not like it is costing money to keep them on the team list…any way I don’t get it, so could you explain why plz?

I'll explain. Because we want to grow as much as possible, we need to make sure that the members are here to help with the team's growth by racing, being active with practicing, helping out in organising events, well, pretty much doing something useful in league racing instead of faffing about in public servers and doing nothing in the leagues.
I can tell you that at the end of last year, half (or almost half, 45-50%) of the team's roster were inactive. Only 5 or 6 out of the 20 drivers in our roster were available/willing to race in leagues, and the rest was doing nothing, either they were away from LFS or just doing nothing for the team.
So at the beginning of 2012, we put a rule that drivers who were idle for over 90 days would be removed from the team without warning, and that's how we've been acting so far. We bring in drivers who want to race and be involved in leagues, if they race and are active in the team and interact with their teammates regularly, then they earn their spot in the roster. If they end up joining the team only to go inactive without saying anything, they get kicked. Obvious exception is if they tell us they're going on a long holiday.
Quote from Senninha25 :I'll explain. Because we want to grow as much as possible, we need to make sure that the members are here to help with the team's growth by racing, being active with practicing, helping out in organising events, well, pretty much doing something useful in league racing instead of faffing about in public servers and doing nothing in the leagues.
I can tell you that at the end of last year, half (or almost half, 45-50%) of the team's roster were inactive. Only 5 or 6 out of the 20 drivers in our roster were available/willing to race in leagues, and the rest was doing nothing, either they were away from LFS or just doing nothing for the team.
So at the beginning of 2012, we put a rule that drivers who were idle for over 90 days would be removed from the team without warning, and that's how we've been acting so far. We bring in drivers who want to race and be involved in leagues, if they race and are active in the team and interact with their teammates regularly, then they earn their spot in the roster. If they end up joining the team only to go inactive without saying anything, they get kicked. Obvious exception is if they tell us they're going on a long holiday.

THX Rui, I think I get your point, but still I can not see in what way inactive drivers interfere with your objectives, I mean I use a site like this http://tracker.ice-wolves.de/t ... /Last%20Lap%20Motorsports to see if I need to recruit or not, the only rule we have is that the inactive drivers are not allowed to complain about decisions which have been taken when they were not there. Of course I am not telling you how you should do it, but I've seen many teams doing the same and I always wondered what were the advantages in doing so?
http://7karat.dk/
is a good example of what we don't want happening. we have 2 members who have been inactive for 3 months, but they told us about their scenarios.
Quote from Framaris :THX Rui, I think I get your point, but still I can not see in what way inactive drivers interfere with your objectives, I mean I use a site like this http://tracker.ice-wolves.de/t ... /Last%20Lap%20Motorsports to see if I need to recruit or not, the only rule we have is that the inactive drivers are not allowed to complain about decisions which have been taken when they were not there. Of course I am not telling you how you should do it, but I've seen many teams doing the same and I always wondered what were the advantages in doing so?

Well...we like doing a roster cleanup every now and then

Inactive drivers don't interfere with our objectives at all, but if they didn't tell us that they were going to be inactive and if they won't do anything when we need them, then what use do we have for them?

The main advantage of getting rid of those dead-weights is that when you take out the drivers that aren't doing anything, you spend less time trying to find an active driver in the roster. And that helps specially when you need a replacement driver for an endurance race, for example.

Your rule is actually pretty good, as a sort of punishment for being MIA, I like it. But you're on Ready2Roll and Genuine Racing. So you're part of the top teams imo, and you guys have grown enough to be taken seriously by the main competition, and your many drivers are more than willing to race under your team, so there's no need to apply this kind of rules for you, because your drivers won't go MIA without warning when they're in a top team like yours.

So I guess that the conclusion I take is that this rule is made to make sure that all of our drivers participate a bit more in the team.
Quote from Senninha25 :

So I guess that the conclusion I take is that this rule is made to make sure that all of our drivers participate a bit more in the team.

Ok this bit is what I was looking for here, so it works as a lever to keep ppls active… I think it is dangerous to result in twisting harms to achieve your objectives… stimulating and motivating works better!

In my view there are other ways of keeping ppls motivated, the first is to keep objectives within the capacity of the team, e.g. when you chose a league it should not be too far above what the team can do, too many teams are way too far off pace in major leagues and that tend to kill motivations. So planning is important, like for a race you have to find the pace of the team and work your way up step by step, don’t place the bar too high. I don't say we are an example, but look how we have started, the first years was dedicated to public racing and organizing open amateur series (Dailycious series), to develop relationships between drivers and evaluate each other’s driving abilities, second year we’ve entered a few amateur leagues to see how we would be pace wise and to learn the ins and outs of endurance racing, third year we’ve entered some bigger leagues with the most able part of the team. Small steps (with mixed results and lots of ''learned'' lessons) insured that we have worked our way up without too many deeps…

Another important thing is that drivers need to feel part of the team, they should never feel like an instrument. When I've created R2R I've decided that the owners would be its members, meaning that I am the leader, but I can be democratically demoted if I don’t do my job properly (that keeps the leader on its toes and gives everyone a sentiment of appurtenance ), also every decisions are taken collectively (It is our team so we all work for the good of the team). Initiatives should be encouraged and everyone should be allowed and motivated to contribute in other ways than driving… Many ppls have talents which can be useful to the team, some don’t even know about it… You really feel part of something when you can contribute and your efforts are rewarded!

Communication and maturity, it is not easy to manage ppls coming from different countries, with different mentality and ages, so respect between members is very important, leader should always handle problems internally and maturely before or right when they start. Leader have to show example and be consistent in their actions, you can’t ask drivers to act maturely if the leader act childishly… Ambiance inside the team is key!

As for GenR, I don’t consider us being a top team in any way, I think we make a good challenger at best and that is a very good place to be as we have less pressure. That said we all suffer from the same problems like inactivity and contrarily to what you said, most don’t warn me before, but I accept that real life has priority and I presume they all have a good reason for it…

And to close this non sense of mine, I think it is easy to give the fault to the absent drivers. as I see it, most teams die because of their ''leaders'' making wrong decisions or losing interest… keep that in mind!

Sorry for sharing my 2 cents here....
What nonsense, man? I loved reading that post You make some really interesting points about team motivation, and I'm starting to think that that's probably what's suffering the most in our training method.
When we only did SuperGT, while it was the only main league running and we had no other leagues to do, we did pretty well, carrying the bus into the Main Race a lot of times and with a fairly stable group of drivers too (but there was more luck than anything else). Problem is, I get the feeling that we're rushing too much into signing up to as many leagues as possible, when we should really only be doing one main series league at a time. We're already signed up into GT2 World Series and LFSCART, and the only thing that saves us is the long time gap between the GT2 races, but I still want to see how the drivers share their practice schedule.

About members with gifts? We could really use a skinner and talented video maker at the moment (I'm so jealous that you guys have BiTurbo in your roster), we had Chris Kasch who made skins for half the cars for last year, but they've been replaced since and a really good thing would be having the same skins for every single LFS car, which we don't.

Quote from Framaris :Communication and maturity, it is not easy to manage ppls coming from different countries, with different mentality and ages, so respect between members is very important, leader should always handle problems internally and maturely before or right when they start. Leader have to show example and be consistent in their actions, you can’t ask drivers to act maturely if the leader act childishly… Ambiance inside the team is key!

Exactly. This one is for Ray and Matt to take notice before losing their cool and accidentally committing rep suicide in the many polemic moments that this team goes through. With that said, team environment isn't a problem since we actually get along probably better than other teams.
But one big problem is team communication, specially when preparing for races...how many of our racedays got completely screwed because of the lack of team communication...I'm starting to run out of ideas for trying to solve that part, actually :/

Quote from Framaris :...but I accept that real life has priority and I presume they all have a good reason for it…

This. If members have to go MIA because of school, work, etc., so be it. They shouldn't waste precious studying time on simracing, real life issues always come first before having fun online in my book.

With all of that said, thank you very much for sharing your points and opinions here, now I have a little extra something to work with that might work better with the team
Well Fram, you have not only taught LLM a little something through that post, but a little to me too.

LLM.. i dont think you should remove your inactive members, we have had people inactive from mid 2011, but they are still part of the team if they choose to return.
The only people that get removed for inactivity are people who are not even socially active within the team anymore or don't even send a small message every month or so. Sico was active for about 1 week in the team then dropped off the face of the earth, we knew very little about him, except that he was recommended by Franky.S. The only other thing I know is whenever "SICO" is online he is driving under the name padstar and has no clue who I am, thus I can only conclude that it was some sort of shared account, which we dont allow in our team either. But I did not state this publicly because we did not feel the need to name and shame. I don't see the big deal and why you are getting all worked up about this Fram. We are here to have fun but at the same time be competitive, and if half the team was inactive then there would be a hard time being competitive because we would not know who we could count on to actually show up for a race (or practice for that matter). If any more issues:

http://www.lfsforum.net/private.php?do=newpm&u=366186

I am also personally lacking the free time to hunt down and ensure that every member is practicing. That being said we have an MSN group that we use to communicate and for the most part our main drivers know when things are.
Framaris just pointed it out, that's all. And after all this I'm actually starting to think that we should bring Elon back to the roster, since he actually can be arsed to log into msn
I don't think, anyone should contact YOU. Also I can't see issues here. Fram is always willing to help to everyone, no matter if it's life, administrating, organizing, racing abilities or anything. It's not only your team, which members are inactive. Our team has like 10-15 ppl - great racers, which are inactive. But it's for good. Example: Michael van der Mark is real life racer - currently inactive cuz of that. What we are supposed to do? Kick him from team, because the man is a champion and outstanding everyone? Also if you don't know the guy well, that's another prove to watch the person before joining your team. But I guess you already got the point.

@Rui - communication is one of the most important things in 1 team man! You might not believe but in our team, we know so much for each other, even I'm not sure our parents/gfs know that much! I was not in GenR back in few years, when they joined GTAL - their first big league. But from what I can see in the past topics in our forum, these guys were willing to achieve something! They had aim, they were focused only in 1 thing - growing slowly but surely. Big boost of motivation is teammates after race. When someone did bad, he should be motivated to improve and to clear his mistakes! But you know, in racing - the first person to beat is your teammate, so there MUST be motivation - always.
i only say to you sico because he pm asking to join SR. i didnt know he shared accounts
Quote from krkriv :I don't think, anyone should contact YOU. Also I can't see issues here. Fram is always willing to help to everyone, no matter if it's life, administrating, organizing, racing abilities or anything. It's not only your team, which members are inactive. Our team has like 10-15 ppl - great racers, which are inactive. But it's for good. Example: Michael van der Mark is real life racer - currently inactive cuz of that. What we are supposed to do? Kick him from team, because the man is a champion and outstanding everyone? Also if you don't know the guy well, that's another prove to watch the person before joining your team. But I guess you already got the point.

@Rui - communication is one of the most important things in 1 team man! You might not believe but in our team, we know so much for each other, even I'm not sure our parents/gfs know that much! I was not in GenR back in few years, when they joined GTAL - their first big league. But from what I can see in the past topics in our forum, these guys were willing to achieve something! They had aim, they were focused only in 1 thing - growing slowly but surely. Big boost of motivation is teammates after race. When someone did bad, he should be motivated to improve and to clear his mistakes! But you know, in racing - the first person to beat is your teammate, so there MUST be motivation - always.

To keep it short if someone doesn't care about the team and leaves with no warning, reason, etc and we were not very sure about their dedication then we assume that they have left LFS or did not care about their membership to the team. Most of the current LLM members are dedicated enough that if they should disapear I would be surprised and sit around waiting for their return.

Quote from Franky.S :i only say to you sico because he pm asking to join SR. i didnt know he shared accounts

Don't worry not blaming for anything.
Quote from Bmxtwins :That being said we have an MSN group that we use to communicate and for the most part our main drivers know when things are.

beleive me.. We had msn group and it was just fail. Skype is the way forward, you can do so much more with it. It even stores messages from over a week+.

I think you should always take critisism on the chin, and just pick at bits you like and take them in and use them if it applies. Its helped our team along as we have been going for just over 1 1/2 years, which no one thought it would ever last that long.. Ive even asked fram on a few occasions for advice on team administration etc.

LLM is improving a lot and ive noticed a big change in attitude since ive been away from the PC. I just want to see it on track

Keep it up

Last Lap Motorsports
(359 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG