The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
L
Meh, I only find it fun at faster tracks like Mosport and WGlen Classic Boot. The slower tracks just bring out all the flaws.

The car I had fun with was the Solstice at Infineon Cup last night. Just used baseline set, was a blast. Sad that a car on the OTM drives better than pretty much any car on the NTM.
Quote from PMD9409 :The car I had fun with was the Solstice at Infineon Cup last night. Just used baseline set, was a blast. Sad that a car on the OTM drives better than pretty much any car on the NTM.

That's why everyone should honor this car :P It's the only thing which keeps me driving iRacing now & then - oh and the Mustang. Once they change to NTM with no significant changes i guess I'm out.
Yeah I get really bummed about it myself. I understand why Scawen goes so quiet about his model when I see how broken the iR one is. Sure the feel is coming along, but what is outside that feel? Proper slip angles? No. Proper temperature behavior? Certainly not consistent. Features like flat spots, dirt on tire affecting grip, racing line affecting grip, and tire deformation is well, out of the question for a very long time.

They should have taken a proper approach to this and used a brush model. From 2004 to 2008 certainly that should have been thought about, instead of using the plug and chug system from NR2003. Instead they wait until release to start thinking about a full blown theoretical model.

The sad part is, I honestly don't feel like it is only the tire model that is the problem. Some times the suspension just feels awkward. Notice how "heavy" the Solstice feels, yet notice how "light" or unbelievably twitchy some are? Is it their suspension? Is it some form of inertia problem? Are they even simulating a virtual world? Apparently the temperature for example cannot be changed, there are no movable objects, our collisions/crashes and rolls are completely unrealistic, and lets not even start with what happens when airborne.

Also, one last thing that I guess falls into the tire category. I have raced nearly every sim that Dave Kaemmer has been a part of. They always call him some form of legend for his physics work. Now before NR4-NR2003, the physics were nothing exciting. Yeye I know GPL is GPL, but the hype is mainly because it is a classic, not necessarily because it is accurate. NR4 started a big change in physics for him, and finally leading into spreadsheet heaven of NR2003. Drove it from release date all the way until I set foot on LFS (GTR1 and 2 wouldn't play on my PC at the time but when I did try it, I wasn't that impressed). NR2003 had symptoms of the "I'm on an oval and in the corner I start to spin, so I'm going to turn left to save it" or the "I'm going to press the throttle and the brake to save my car". Funny how then those same attributes can follow into a sim upon release and also nearly 10 years later on a completely different, now theoretical, model.

So what is he a legend of exactly? Being around the game for a while?

Must be a late night rant for me, off to bed now.
Quote from PMD9409 :Meh, I only find it fun at faster tracks like Mosport and WGlen Classic Boot. The slower tracks just bring out all the flaws.

The car I had fun with was the Solstice at Infineon Cup last night. Just used baseline set, was a blast. Sad that a car on the OTM drives better than pretty much any car on the NTM.

Yeah I agree. and the Mustang too. I love that car.
Leader of the Playboy MX5 Cup currently:
Quote :I just did a CJ Wilson Racing test session with our whole team. At the end of the session, we were ordered to not put much iRacing testing time in as the car is unbelievably unrealistic. We all agreed that a lack of lateral grip is the cause, and the car WASHES out on HIGH camber turns!! Makes no sense

To expand on that:
Quote from Elliott Skeer :
Quote from Richard Avery :
Quote from Elliott Skeer :I just did a CJ Wilson Racing test session with our whole team. At the end of the session, we were ordered to not put much iRacing testing time in as the car is unbelievably unrealistic. We all agreed that a lack of lateral grip is the cause, and the car WASHES out on HIGH camber turns!! Makes no sense

It assumes that spending too much time driving iRacing will some how be detrimental to real life performance. It might teach a couple of bad habits but you'd hardly get in a real car and try and do what you did in iRacing, no doubt you would try and test the boundries of what you did in iRacing.

Uhhh that is exactly what I am saying. 3 of the drivers have never been to Mazda Raceway before, so the idea is to not have them learn what is needed for a fast iLap, because it is much different then a fast real lap...

lol
And what did iR fanbois said?
It's clearly a ploy to keep the driver's from being too ballsy on Lap 1 and wrecking all the cars.

I imagine it's either that or they completely ignored it.
Quote from Sobis :And what did iR fanbois said?

"Show me a sim that doesn't have flaws". That's what they basically say. Dollar for fun/physics, iRacing is the worst deal in sim racing IMO. They've been around for five years? Update every 13 weeks and this is what they have. LOL. I'll cut my losses at around $500 and walk out the door. It's pretty pathetic how these cars drive and how much money iRacing charges. Call me SUCKER!
Just if anyone wants to watch V8s vs Cadilacs 30mins Watkins. Torque Freak Racing.

http://glaciertv.com/
Quote from Sobis :And what did iR fanbois said?

One of them was completely convinced that real life racers actually have an agenda to only bash iRacing. They do not want iRacing to be advanced in any way, and if those real life drivers were there to help iRacing in forms of testing cars (like alpha/beta), then they would purposely give false information to ruin the car.

To think he said this over and over in multiple posts, he was serious, the dude isn't a troller. Some others say "So what? Nothing is perfect". The point isn't about perfection, it is about being realistic, right now iR has some glaring flaws that pulls it away from being realistic.

@Joe: Boothy told me there was a huge wreck on L1T1? Not the norm for the TFR guys.
It's like they just can't accept that iRacing isn't the best/be-all-end-all of simulation.

Interms of Oval racing, I think it probably is, but to me it's like they gave more effort on the oval side of the game than the road. NTM on oval cars compared to road cars feels like a totally different game. An alternate 'reality' if you will.

It's funny because the Skip nor the MX5 handles so shit but there's always one guy saying. "OH NO THEY HANDLE LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE I SAW THEM AT LIME ROCK ONE TIME" or "MY FRIEND DROVE THEM HE SAID THEY WERE JUST LIKE THAT."
Quote from PMD9409 :

@Joe: Boothy told me there was a huge wreck on L1T1? Not the norm for the TFR guys.

Sad to say yes. Managed a very good qual for my standards, on P3. Round T1, Fred (polesitter) lost it and we piled in. Kinda sucked
Quote from jrd.racer :Just if anyone wants to watch V8s vs Cadilacs 30mins Watkins. Torque Freak Racing.

http://glaciertv.com/

Actually after they updated the torque curve for the V8 it is actually not too bad. The car used to spin out at second or even third gear whenever you go above 6000 rpm. But now it's actually kinda drivable. I softened the rear ARB and the rear damping, and it's actually not too bad. At least I could do some consistent laps, although I am still very cautious at corner exit. It still takes a bit of bravery to go full throttle when the car is not completely straight.

But now the rear is (kinda) sticking, another flaw of the V8 is showing up. The lack of front end grip. It understeers, a lot. Maybe it's my setup, but I honestly doubt it.

I don't know enough about car dynamics to complain about a specific issue, but the biggest problems I have with iRacing are that the cars aren't very predictable, most of them are horrible under braking, and the snap oversteer at low speed.

Usually with most sims, (LFS and pCARS for example) after a dozen or two laps I would be confident enough to actually push the car to the limit (well i try to at least) and do a few fast laps, but in iRacing even after a whole afternoon of practice laps, I still don't feel confident enough to push the car at all. I always feel like I am tip-toeing around the corners, and it's not a very satisfying feeling.

The funny thing is the only car I like in iRacing at the moment, is the Mustang. You can push it under brakes and at corner exit, which most of the cars can't do.
The best bit about the V8SC is that staff member Ian Berwick confirmed he had accidentally increased the rev limiter to 7700 instead of 7500, because he was testing stuff back in November... :rolleyes: So much for the official V8 online series if they can't even meet basic technical specifications!
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Actually after they updated the torque curve for the V8 it is actually not too bad. The car used to spin out at second or even third gear whenever you go above 6000 rpm. But now it's actually kinda drivable. I softened the rear ARB and the rear damping, and it's actually not too bad. At least I could do some consistent laps, although I am still very cautious at corner exit. It still takes a bit of bravery to go full throttle when the car is not completely straight.

But now the rear is (kinda) sticking, another flaw of the V8 is showing up. The lack of front end grip. It understeers, a lot. Maybe it's my setup, but I honestly doubt it.

I don't know enough about car dynamics to complain about a specific issue, but the biggest problems I have with iRacing are that the cars aren't very predictable, most of them are horrible under braking, and the snap oversteer at low speed.

Usually with most sims, (LFS and pCARS for example) after a dozen or two laps I would be confident enough to actually push the car to the limit (well i try to at least) and do a few fast laps, but in iRacing even after a whole afternoon of practice laps, I still don't feel confident enough to push the car at all. I always feel like I am tip-toeing around the corners, and it's not a very satisfying feeling.

The funny thing is the only car I like in iRacing at the moment, is the Mustang. You can push it under brakes and at corner exit, which most of the cars can't do.

You wern't in the race were you? Didn't notice any Aussies.
I defs agree the oval side is completly different to road side.
Though the guys running at Dega seem to be on a different level. Im running the HOF setup and these guys are flying around the track on there own :O WTF AM I MISSING?
Whats the trick?
Quote from AstroBoy :I defs agree the oval side is completly different to road side.
Though the guys running at Dega seem to be on a different level. Im running the HOF setup and these guys are flying around the track on there own :O WTF AM I MISSING?
Whats the trick?

Almost everything on the oval is setup, if you're a decent driver and you get a DWC class setup, you win race after race. Dega is even more setup, but everything in the oval forums on iRacing is super serious and secretive.
I think it's safe to say any of us here on LFS could easily compete in the oval DWC it's just all about knowing the right people, or being able to master making oval setups.
Anyone catch the release notes for today? Pretty much every car got an update and Twin Ring got a very small one. Release notes were posted about 2 hours ago, so it must have been right as the service went down.
Quote from PMD9409 :Anyone catch the release notes for today? Pretty much every car got an update and Twin Ring got a very small one. Release notes were posted about 2 hours ago, so it must have been right as the service went down.

No idea, every time I check the maintenance page the time keeps getting knocked back :?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG