The online racing simulator
Quote from PMD9409 :You should still be able to get mods and the sort, and everything should function as normal, however you will just be missing the ability to race online with others.

Thanks, bought it (will spend the money I saved on a few very old drams this weekend)

I think I need to put some eggs under the lead foot, started over 10 races on spa without seeing la source even once until I had to cheat and select invulnerability. Ill keep that setting until I know the track at least.

First verdict: Very nice.
Quote from heson :Thanks, bought it (will spend the money I saved on a few very old drams this weekend)

I think I need to put some eggs under the lead foot, started over 10 races on spa without seeing la source even once until I had to cheat and select invulnerability. Ill keep that setting until I know the track at least.

First verdict: Very nice.

Took me a couple laps to get 'round the end without going off, and several tries at a race to get around. Mostly got pulled into wrecks by the AI, or I'd rear-end someone going much slower than they should have been. The AI still doesn't like driving in a pack, but it isn't as bad as rF1 IIRC in that regard.

I really want to do some more racing...
Quote from heson :
I think I need to put some eggs under the lead foot, started over 10 races on spa without seeing la source

Quote from MAGGOT :Took me a couple laps to get 'round the end without going off, and several tries at a race to get around. Mostly got pulled into wrecks by the AI, or I'd rear-end someone going much slower than they should have been. The AI still doesn't like driving in a pack, but it isn't as bad as rF1 IIRC in that regard.

I really want to do some more racing...

Hehe... I don't have a ton of time to race right now, and I'm kind of in love with the Megane.

But every couple days I fire up Spa and that "winged" F1 booby tra... er, "car", and proceed to see how much adrenaline I can generate. It takes me a few attempts to actually get around the track in one piece, because let's face it - there's no point in being careful

Invariably, my sessions start with me thinking all is under control until around half way through a lap. Then a little extra cocky throttle application sends me just a hair wider than I think I'll go, and I'm thrown into a howling chaotic clothes dryer full of hay bails and wheels torn asunder, terminated only by the rather tranquil protest of the local dairy cows at my disastrous arrival... MOO.
I laughed pretty hard to myself the first time I heard them. Got it a little wrong and slid through the shrubberies into a farmers fence, barrel rolled a few times, collected a hay bail or two before finally coming to a rest facing a cow. After a moment of dead silence following the roar of the accident he spoke to me. "MooOOoooo..."
What kind of times are you guys getting in the F2 at Spa in the rain? I'm running 3:53s in the EVE I think... relatively consistent times over a lap but always a few bobbles here and there in each lap. I know I'm not the fastest but I'm curious to see if I'm even average.

I'm not sure what I'm doing in the dry, but the rain is just too much fun to go back to the boring old sunshine.
New build: http://isiforums.net/f/showthr ... The-first-update-Build-60

Apparantly content coming soon too. Including "GT World Endurance".

Supposed big increase in FPS.

Quote :Update notes below taken from the readme.txt file in the rF2 directory after installation of Build 60.

UPDATE 1 Changelog (Febuary 15, 2012):
======================================
MULTIPLAYER:
----------------------------
Configurable multiplayer race countdown timer ("Race Client Wait" in multiplayer.ini).
Reducing collision work in multiplayer (including completely turning off remote car vs. scene collision for now) in order to prevent slowdowns.
Modifed Dedicated server and mpfile to allow/disallow nicknames.
Fixed in-car chat for extended ASCII characters.

GRAPHICS:
---------------------------
Fixed showroom sun occlusion problem.
Fixed sun occlusion toggle.
Improved HDR debug output.
Moved all HDR processing to GPU.
Now enforcing deformable meshes.
Fixed and improved "visible vehicles" algorithm.
Updates to static meshes now disabled.
Fixed AI brake lights.
Fixed some issues doing HDR/Post on monitor.
Fixed up some postFX problems.
Updated sun occlusion.
Improved post FX integration with HDR.
Dixed bug that could result in cam file having more shadow parameters than the array that holds them.
Fixed problem with using post with HDR.
Fixed up hdr debug output, also improved post-processing.
Tidy up line drawing, also deactivated pre-caching for now as a test.
Fixed up hdr debug output.
Fixed a crash when loading a new profile to an existing track.
Shaders are recompiled if vid driver or HDR changes.
Reverted virtual mirrors back to using options settings rather than video settings.

UI:
Fixed car skin spinner not selecting current selected skin when entering screen.
Fixed path error for loading truetype fonts.
Fixed car spinner gizmo bug where it selection didn't take into account pace cars in the veh list ordering. (so picking a car near the end of spinner would select the wrong car.)
Fixed crash from skin selector gizmo that would happen 1st time you join a online game for a new mod and go to tuning from car selector screen.
Fixed bug where one couldn't select a new UI.
Fixed gear graph text in wide-screen mode with non-wide-screen UI.
Tidy up some loading bar problem.
Fix HUD pit menu selector box.
Added tire volume slider.
Added new options for VSync and FXAA.

•Software sync uses a timer to draw frames based on your refresh rate. In other words, you could compare it with a software VSync.
•GPU sync is a UI element for the PLR's "Flush Previous Frame" setting. This setting is not recommended for SLI.
•Video sync is actually the good old VSync option (notice that the usual VSync checkbox is now missing).
•None means it will behave like the previous build, without VSync enabled.

AI:
Extra code to prevent ramming from behind when attempting to pass.
Generally made AI initiated player crashes less likely.
Made line transitions safer (for example moving from fastest to blocking line).
Fixed exaggerated pitspot slowdown.
Implemented 1st round of VERY basic wet weather tire logic.
Now always simulating a lap once for every car to get fuel, time, and minimum speed for track (to improve AI pit strategy).
Made AI slower at 70% by not only reducing their grip (was already being done) but also cutting a bit of speed off corners on top of that when figuring.
Made AI cars more likely to pass another car in the straight if given the opportunity.

GAMEPLAY:
Fix for timescaled mechanical failures.

CONTROLLER:
Added controller.ini variable "Off-road multiplier" at least until we have proper soft terrain physics modeling.
Changed default for "Keyboard Layout Override" in controller.ini to 1 which seems to work better most of the time.
Added new controller.ini option "Use Keyboard Rates For Analog" which allows gamepad users to intentionally delay the response time of their twitchy inputs.
Added controller.ini variable "Use Hardware Additional Features" to control whether we play G27 LEDs, for example. Actually that's the only example right now.
Added ability to read/write Thrustmaster wheel range (only available on new T500RS series, by the way).
Set default control for 'Display Vehicle Labels' to TAB key.

OTHER OPTIMIZATIONS
Various collision optimizations, including better automatic LODs for trackside collidable objects.
Fixed crash that occurred when no sound devices was enabled on Windows 7 Machine.
Improved and/or fixed OnTop variable in TDF - this is a precise way to physically apply paint stripes on top of the road with a realistic thickness.
Minor SSE optimizations added.
Vertical position of individual mirrors wasn't being transferred from CCH file to PLR file (note that these values are not editable in realtime with the Shift/Ctrl/Alt + Seat position controls).
Fixed dedicated server not updating scoring for plugins.
Fix for "Unknown" name in player file.
Fixed wide characters aborting the results file write.
Mirror toggle control lets you go through all 5 permutations in cockpit now.
Fixed a potential problem alt-tabbing with SL.

FUNCTIONAL ADDITIONS:
Allow nickname and attempt to allow wide char names.
Added a "Steering Wheel" option for "No Arms".
Added user car skin support.

MOD/PACKAGING
Fixed a bug with packaged files which could have allowed tire data to be overridden by external components.
Fixed a minor issue with encrypted mas.
Fixed ttool crash.

Quote from PMD9409 :New build: http://isiforums.net/f/showthr ... The-first-update-Build-60

Apparantly content coming soon too. Including "GT World Endurance".

Supposed big increase in FPS.

Yup, Nissan GTR race car I think.

As for FPS, some people are claiming as much as double the framerates they were getting. Not bad. I'll fire it up tonight and try it myself.... Lookin forward to meetin some more cows!

[EDIT] Anyone gotten skins to work? I can't get anything showing up on my Eve MS7. What should the folder be called for the skin to work?
new build is out with Z370 and GTR

Surprized that for a forum that likes SIM racing this thread hasn't been rolling?!

The Z370 is probably the car I'd vote as the most life like simulation that I've driven. Feels like LFS for the most part but when OVER the limit it's not as ridiculously forgiving, and has some snap. Yet you can still drift the shit out of it after 4 beer...

I get the feeling that the oldschool crowd here is biased because it's another iteration of RF. Don't be fooled though, anyone who loves cars and driving SHOULD give this a shot. I was tempted to post about the dynamic track a few weeks ago because it's already interesting, but I resisted because I'd said quite a lot positive about RF2 already.

But, I can still say that it's worth the dough and more. If (and that's a big IF as far as I can tell) iRacing can make a tire model as believable as RF2 has already then I'd go back, but it's just not there. Graphics? Great, PCars has jawdropping visuals - but unless the physics are at least as good as RF2 then I just don't care because I need to crack a smile when I clip the inside too hard and see it starting to rise, threatening to roll me and/or send me outside violently.

RF2 is the only sim I can safely cut the curbs and bounce away grinning, and get into the throttle early and feel the back end digging out like I'd expect. Also no slippery slides in that circumstance (like LFS) and no random spins if I didn't see-saw right (like iRacing).

Come on guys, wake up, this is good stuff.
The 370Z is poon. Not a big fan of the GTR just yet. Need more tracks to test on IMO.
Quote from PMD9409 :The 370Z is poon. Not a big fan of the GTR just yet. Need more tracks to test on IMO.

Have you tried the Mid Ohio track yet? I thought that was pretty nice.
Well Mid Ohio for me is great in the 370Z, but for the GTR it just seems weird. I don't know maybe I just haven't driven it enough. The track itself is great, just the car seems a bit off.
yeah, just tried the 370 and it has a great feel to it. Love the way you get more grip as you lay down some rubber!
The 370Z is a real joy to drive. IMO one of the best cars in the beta, along with the old F3`s an the rTrainer.
I'm seriously impressed by the FFB and the tire physics, the RF2 beta was the best buy in ages sim-wise.

100% agreement with BallBearingTurbo, this is really excellent stuff and there's much more content to be released in the coming months
Finally I get to see LFS drowning in it's own misery
Can't get enough of the 60's F1's. Feels like GPL has came back!
Quote from Scrabby :Can't get enough of the 60's F1's. Feels like GPL has came back!

This!

Also enjoying F2 at Sepang!
Worth every penny atm!
1) Is there finally a proper overview of servers available?
2) Is there a small dedi server version mode like LFS has?
3) Another badly structured main website. Where is the download section

If I would be a new racer then I lost interest in like 5 seconds.
As it's not released yet, it's only downloadable from the forums. Not really that hard to find IMHO.
Well.. The old version is even hard to find. There is lots of news information about the game/sim on their website but the actual real stuff is hidden on some forum I understand?

Very weird.

Would be good if they take a look how for example Netkar is presenting itself.
It's not weird.

What's the use of promoting a beta as if it was the real deal? The old one is discontinued, the new one isn't out yet. hence the news to keep the hype going, but no adverts for 'try the bugridden unfinished next version here', that's not helping anyone.
I thought (misread) the game cost €10, so I donwloaded everything, just to find it cost €35. For what I've read I could upgrade to lifetime in the future without loosing mone (nice move ISI).

So, is this real simulation? (after driving LFS any other game feels so off, but this has tire flex and those cool things xD).

I've read that the 60s formulas are pure joy to drive, I just want to hear the opinion from LFS users (I think we can judge real feel in physics better than any rF fanboy hehe). And that the GTR are not bad either.

I'll wait for your answers, mainly on dry weather, as I guess the night and wet track surface must be fun even in an arcadish game

I miss the good old F1 Challenge times, that rF1 could not satisfy (well enough) where everybody drove the latest cars/tracks but there are no 1k versions of the same thing...rF2 mod system has solved that I guess, thats what I'm tempted to buy it.
Check two of my comments here, might help.

The physics feel quite good. I believe that the underlying physics engine is much better than rF1, and is on par with current simulations. Obviously being beta it is still lacking a few features, however it is definitely a potential candidate for being fantastic. The feel and how the tires behave is already really good. The change in enviroment is something remarkable.

Mod support should be quite good. Some of the tracks that are WIP are looking quite good as well.
Quote from PMD9409 :Check two of my comments here, might help.

The physics feel quite good. I believe that the underlying physics engine is much better than rF1, and is on par with current simulations. Obviously being beta it is still lacking a few features, however it is definitely a potential candidate for being fantastic. The feel and how the tires behave is already really good. The change in enviroment is something remarkable.

Mod support should be quite good. Some of the tracks that are WIP are looking quite good as well.

Agreed^

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG