The online racing simulator
Quote from The Moose :I thought these forums had become a crappy place to hang out.... then i joined iRacing and it was clear to me that the community here isn't so bad after all

It is the i in iRacing that gives it away.
Any team interested in helping organize a large race event, please contact me.

We need more cooperation on the forums =) This would be a small start.
Quote from mcintyrej :

Every time I come on here, I notice one thing. You're all dicks!

Ciao!

I wonder you do not say same on LFS. And anyway, what you are then?

Just asking, because I bet you are blind as you can not see the other side
Next to the Skrillex hate forum on Cochella. This is my fave by far. Even though i don't play LFS anymore. Not as funny, but close.
Oh and it turns out no shops sell the G27, you have to buy it online, so I won't be seeing you all on track any time soon.
Yea I agree with you Jack, but no forum threads of the world will manage to change that state of mind I'm affraid.

Used to be good fun racing against you anyway - remember TBO Challenge at Westhill 3 years ago?

Quote from The Moose :I thought these forums had become a crappy place to hang out.... then i joined iRacing and it was clear to me that the community here isn't so bad after all

I agree. This is true to forums in general though

I do my best to keep it clean and nice
Quote from Cornys :

I do my best to keep it clean and nice

if only everyone tried or atleast if folks dropped the childish bias for their friens/**** buddys then sparta syndrome wouldn't be needed and peace on here is closer ( though it will come by default, you can only bail out a sinking ship for so long. )
Kids with keyboards
So you say that the forum lacks friendship and at the same time you call everyone dicks?
sad
Oh stop complaining, the forum aint that bad. Now that S14 is banned, the amount of hateful comments have decreased subsantaully. Suck it up, be a man, and walk it off. And to the person who made this thread. How the hell are managing to communicate with the outside world? Grow some!
#39 - 5haz
A lot of this forum's problems are issues endemic to the wider internet.

The biggest problem is that a lot of members confuse copy and pasting skills with wit, they think posting an overused 'meme' as a response is somehow a work of hilarious genius. A lot of this thoroughly stupid behavior gets passed off and justified as 'trolling' and a lot of members like to self style themselves as master trolls, when in fact their behavior involves no wit or cunning at all. Merely repeating well worn phrases and pictures is not clever, animals can be trained to repeat tricks on cue and this kind of behavior requires no more brain power.

A second problem lies with a lot of members having an over inflated sense of self importance and entitlement. One thing that really irks me is when a member creates a perfectly reasonable opening post in the off topic section, which is often followed by replies in which some other forum users feel the need to tell us all how much they don't care about the subject. These people don't seem to realise that the forum doesn't revolve around them, and that they have no right to try and stifle discussion just because they have no interest in it.

The final problem is that a lot of members feel that being cynical, apathetic and sarcastic about everything is also somehow the work of a sharp wit, even at times when this kind of behavior is completely unwarranted. Like anything else in life though, if you use these attitudes too often they become worn out and lose their hilarity. Genuinely funny people know when to be cruel and acerbic and when to be sincere and kind.

So...

TL,DR: Most of this forum's problems are the result of members attempts to be clever, cynical, sharp and funny. The majority ultimately fail and come across as retarded animals making repeated (copied) noises. Somehow standards have lowered to the point where many consider this to be hilariously funny. Couple this with an over sized sense of self importance and worth of one's own thoughts and you have exactly the kind of dickish behavior found here.

I believe it happens because the internet makes it so easy to broadcast our every inner thought that we've become too lazy to communicate intelligently and sincerely for too long.
I would like to mention that this whatsoever multimod server called has got some truly retarded admins in it.. Banning random people not even mentioning the reason just because of past problems that one of the admin has had with 'dat person.
42d Multimod - perfect example for current lfs community status.. That server should have it's multimod addition removed by the developers and it should be handed out to someone else.. for example, nopi drift server or even a different server that has got trusted administrators that don't f around ? :/
been on 42d multimod and its nice place the few times we were there.
Quote from mcintyrej :You're all dicks!

9/10 times if someone thinks EVERYONE on a forum is a dick. It turns out that they, are in fact. The dick.

HTH
Quote :The biggest problem is that a lot of members confuse copy and pasting skills with wit, they think posting an overused 'meme' as a response is somehow a work of hilarious genius. A lot of this thoroughly stupid behavior gets passed off and justified as 'trolling' and a lot of members like to self style themselves as master trolls, when in fact their behavior involves no wit or cunning at all.

This.
Quote from Rhama :Right on topic. Precisely the stereotypical answer that help build what described in the first post...

Hopeless distressing people, i would beat my kids if they acted like that. They would not do it twice, sure enough.

You sure are one violent lad...hugs*
Quote from 5haz :A lot of this forum's problems are issues endemic to the wider internet.

The biggest problem is that a lot of members confuse copy and pasting skills with wit, they think posting an overused 'meme' as a response is somehow a work of hilarious genius. A lot of this thoroughly stupid behavior gets passed off and justified as 'trolling' and a lot of members like to self style themselves as master trolls, when in fact their behavior involves no wit or cunning at all. Merely repeating well worn phrases and pictures is not clever, animals can be trained to repeat tricks on cue and this kind of behavior requires no more brain power.

A second problem lies with a lot of members having an over inflated sense of self importance and entitlement. One thing that really irks me is when a member creates a perfectly reasonable opening post in the off topic section, which is often followed by replies in which some other forum users feel the need to tell us all how much they don't care about the subject. These people don't seem to realise that the forum doesn't revolve around them, and that they have no right to try and stifle discussion just because they have no interest in it.

The final problem is that a lot of members feel that being cynical, apathetic and sarcastic about everything is also somehow the work of a sharp wit, even at times when this kind of behavior is completely unwarranted. Like anything else in life though, if you use these attitudes too often they become worn out and lose their hilarity. Genuinely funny people know when to be cruel and acerbic and when to be sincere and kind.

So...

TL,DR: Most of this forum's problems are the result of members attempts to be clever, cynical, sharp and funny. The majority ultimately fail and come across as retarded animals making repeated (copied) noises. Somehow standards have lowered to the point where many consider this to be hilariously funny. Couple this with an over sized sense of self importance and worth of one's own thoughts and you have exactly the kind of dickish behavior found here.

I believe it happens because the internet makes it so easy to broadcast our every inner thought that we've become too lazy to communicate intelligently and sincerely for too long.

Nice piece of analysis sir

Anyway, the stuff described by OP kinda reminds me of this old joke:

Quote :How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Quote from USRacer :Oh stop complaining, the forum aint that bad. Now that S14 is banned, the amount of hateful comments have decreased subsantaully. Suck it up, be a man, and walk it off. And to the person who made this thread. How the hell are managing to communicate with the outside world? Grow some!

we should swap you for Jay, at least he has humor.
In general... he is right. You guys just troll the new guy in until he leaves
Quote from mcintyrej :Hello friends,

I start playing LFS seriously again (not likely) "..I won't be coming back for good.."
Every time I come on here, I notice one thing. You're all dicks!
"..lacks in any sort of human compassion.."
"..sort of friendly atmosphere.."
"..as no one will read.."

Ciao!

Forum 101 of being a absolute dick, Call everyone a absolute dick.

"..I won't be coming back for good.." - Nobody on this forum really cares when anyone leaves like you did, If it's a death causing you to be away that's different, But you're just one of those people that happen every now and then that pop off with a rant that can only address a small part of the community yet you threw everyone under the bus, Congratulations, everyone hates you.

"..lacks in any sort of human compassion.." - There are RIP threads in off topic where some people can show a bit of emotion, Other than this, This is a racing simulator forum, This isn't us constantly holding your hand through a tough time in life giving you a shoulder to cry on, Most people just race to win and comment on events in races. I personally like how people don't try to smother me in a gooy life story every time I hit off-topic.

"..sort of friendly atmosphere.." - Once again, You've thrown everyone under the bus, Most people here are very friendly, But now that you've called everyone a dick, I'd be surprised if even the nicest people here want to help you. This is a racing forum, People here want two things, Racing, And winning, Some people have a passion for it, This makes teams have grudge matches when something doesn't go there way, And makes people go up against some very quick drivers (Like when I floored franky in WE1 with a XRT. :P) With racing you get competition, Unless you're friends with the guy you're door to door with, And talk out any mistakes you made to intentionally or unintentionally hurt his car/race (Not talking about automatic sorry messages) Then you've just made him/her have a reason to dislike you.

"..as no one will read.." - You're exactly right, This thread has happened about 50+ times before, In general the forum really doesn't give a crap when you toss some very nice racers/people under a bus where only 5-10% of people should be. If anything I thank the trolls for being so hard on the new members in a way, It causes them to not rage-out so much when they get crashed.
Quote from TehPaws3D :
"..sort of friendly atmosphere.." - Once again, You've thrown everyone under the bus, Most people here are very friendly, But now that you've called everyone a dick, I'd be surprised if even the nicest people here want to help you.

Just a thought, the ones who get offended are the ones who know they were dicks and its a wink in their general direction.
The so called "nicest people" wont take it personal because they know it is not directed at them because, well because they are not dicks and never where, by any standards
Quote from 5haz :Forum psychoanalysis by wannabe Freud and Jung by their powers combined

Fully agree with you here.
It's nothing personal. It's just the feckin internet.

Sarcasm happens in real life. So it's expected that it will be seen in forums. People also argue in real life. Does this make them dicks? Not one bit. Sometimes people also disagree with each other. I'd much rather argue with someone knowing that they are being themselves instead of begin some fake persona that wouldn't last 5 seconds in the real world.
Bose and I swap words sometimes but we both know it's nothing personal. If it were personal, the "names and schtick" would have a lot more bite. When the game is updated, the forum will start to talk about LFS more often until the community are bored.
Quote from 5haz :A lot of this forum's problems are issues endemic to the wider internet.

So...

Textbook characteristics of kids. That includes adults with mental age of teenager.

The state of this forum community
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG