The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Quote from Skytrill :I was on dx9 but to answer your question there are two shortcuts on your desktop when you install the game; a normal C.A.R.S. and a C.A.R.S.DX11.

thx. I'll check for differences in detail and fps.

Quote from Jshort :If you have a fanatec wheel don't bother unless you don't mind driving with 100 degrees of rotation. Absolutely useless for fanatec users. That's all I can review.

^ did you go through and turn all the deadzones all the way down?

I was running between 400-720 degrees depending on the car. I have a fanatec 911 turbo S w/ clubsport pedals.
Quote from Kegetys :Well I put out the 10e to try it out and I have to say I'm quite disapointed with the physics. It simply goes into the "doesn't feel right" category, I cant say what's exactly wrong with it but it doesn't deliver the sensation of control and feel that you can immediately get with any sim (LFS, NetKar Pro, RFactor, RBR, GPL, etc)... With those sims, even with their different physics engines it still feels "right" and within minutes I can pick up driving with a new car (or a new sim), start to feel where the limit of grip is and so on but it's just not happening here.

Does it perhaps do that annoying thing that all gmotorish sims seem to do with the default FFB settings: transfers the loss of grip in the rear to the steering wheel?

If so, then it's worth transferring over settings from a gmotor mod with proper FFB (like Power & Glory has) since the .xml file that contains the settings for the shift2 engine have the exact same variable names as the settings in the .PLR of GTR2.
Possible steering lag/steering linearity fix.
Quote :I finally got the steering 1:1 with no lag with my G27.

Use same logitech profile setting as iRacing 900 degrees, 107,0,0

In CARS choose steering lock to 900 and sensitivity to 50. The sensitivity the key. 50 is a 1:1 ratio. And you can also get rid of the exaggerated head movement by setting "World Movement" to 100.

Make those changes and it makes a marked improvement.

Also loving the transmission model with slipped clutches, botched shifts and stalls. What a difference.

Quote from PMD9409 :Quote it here. I'm broke so can't buy any part of it yet.

Lol, supposedly iR 'deals with bad drivers'. I just mentioned the three or four iR wrecking vids that got posted in the iR thread.

And the quote, here ya go

Quote from heymoa :Rating System

+1 for an iRacing type system.

The benefits outweigh the frustrations from time to time. After skim reading this thread it seems that most of the negatives regarding the iRacing system is from people that have given it a go, felt its a bit daunting and given up. But I can tell you it is worth it. I race the Mustang and the V8 most of the time and the number of great close races I have had with people over the last couple of years far exceeds the number of times the system has frustrated me. Those times are some of the best sim experiences I have had and they wouldn't have happened if the people I was racing with could bump me off or pass me with 2 wheels on the grass without penalty.

If C.A.R.S wants to be a serious online sim then iRacing is the benchmark. The 1x’s I can live with as there is a fine line between running wide and cutting a corner. In the current system you know that everyone is on the same page. The only area I would possibly tinker with is the 4x. I think there needs to be 2 levels of car to car contact, trading paint (2x) and contact causing damage or spin (4x).

I think its easy to focus too much on the SR in iRacing, the iRating system is where iRacing excels. The iRating system is simple and it works very well. You will also be surprised how your SR goes up when you forget about it and focus on increasing your iRating by trying to race competitively.

So, the benifits outweight the frustrations of somebody in the DWC series (for instance) deliberately wrecking in qualifying, or having a lag spike and getting a 4x when you aren't near somebody?
#82 - J.B.
like chuck norris at night
Quote from Kegetys :
So they expect you to put in 25000e to support a project that might later turn into something completely opposite to what you want because others voted so?

I interpret it as you should expect to get your soda ads trackside and selectable for stickers and hold in game events like "Slurm weekend timetrial, win a trip to the slurmfactory". You will also get to vote (in hopes that the famous 1974 Slurm #33 lemans car gets made before other stuff)

From this:
http://www.wmdportal.com/proje ... perks-announced/#more-231
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Lol, supposedly iR 'deals with bad drivers'. I just mentioned the three or four iR wrecking vids that got posted in the iR thread.

And the quote, here ya go

So, the benifits outweight the frustrations of somebody in the DWC series (for instance) deliberately wrecking in qualifying, or having a lag spike and getting a 4x when you aren't near somebody?

To be completely honest, that's why I haven't purchased this yet. The last thing I want to do is fight against iR drivers about how to build a system for racing. They come over from iRacing, and want to recreate iRacing. The CARS pdf showed they wanted a system where you start in karts and work your way up. This can be seen as an iRacing system of "career mode". However the iRating isn't needed, and the SR certainly isn't needed. If they want to "restrict" us and potentially want to lose customer support, then go ahead and do the rating system.

This sim probably won't be like rF/LFS/GTR2/NKP etc when it comes to online play, but more of iR. That's what is going to throw me off the most. I'd rather be able to just jump into stuff like LFS, and if I want to do a league race, I can just find a league and sign up for it. I'm not sure what they are saying on the "inside", but from reading the pdf they seem to be going to the iRacing direction, even charging a small fee to run leagues (1 euro).

Why replicate a rival, when you could be creative and grab a bigger crowd.
Quote :Interesting development, Ian Bell was asked how the multi player servers were going to be deployed and his response was, "We plan to release a dedicated server exe a la GTR2" Nice one.

I guess I will swallow what I said.
new build comes out tomorrow
Quote :A quote from Ian Bell, posted on the CARS forum.

"But the most important parts like tyre physics are home grown. The low level suspension model is ISI's. We have access to all the source so can do what we want with it. I think we even have the physx source which is rare.

We also have a complete home grown engine basically complete but it won't feel any better and uses the same tyre physics.

The tyre physics are based on a brush model BTW, the same type I believe iRacing have changed to recently."

That certainly doesn't look like a brush model.
Quote from PMD9409 :To be completely honest, that's why I haven't purchased this yet. The last thing I want to do is fight against iR drivers about how to build a system for racing. They come over from iRacing, and want to recreate iRacing. The CARS pdf showed they wanted a system where you start in karts and work your way up. This can be seen as an iRacing system of "career mode". However the iRating isn't needed, and the SR certainly isn't needed. If they want to "restrict" us and potentially want to lose customer support, then go ahead and do the rating system.

This sim probably won't be like rF/LFS/GTR2/NKP etc when it comes to online play, but more of iR. That's what is going to throw me off the most. I'd rather be able to just jump into stuff like LFS, and if I want to do a league race, I can just find a league and sign up for it. I'm not sure what they are saying on the "inside", but from reading the pdf they seem to be going to the iRacing direction, even charging a small fee to run leagues (1 euro).

Why replicate a rival, when you could be creative and grab a bigger crowd.

Odd, but after I posted that quote, quite a lot of people said 'we need to do something different'

I'm gonna assume iR would send a lawyer after anyone seeming to copy their systems. I was on a V8 message board over the Bathurst weekend and people were (wrongly) saying iR is petitioning the Aussie gov't to take Codies ToCA series (marketed as V8 Supercar) series off the shelves.

That was a totally BS post, but it shows the power of misinformation.
DLing.

Got into a discussin with a few people about my legal point and modding, quite entertaining and informative.

Question for any lawyers or people who can reach them. Simply recreating a car with a fake name isn't enough to get around a licensing issue (So Eric couldn't model an RS Cosworth and call it a FXO GT) is it?
iRacing forum seems to think this will rival LFS. That's news to me.
What's the test track like? Looks huge Might go for team member status tonight That way if I don't make much return on investment, i'll have a full game for roughly the price i'm willing to pay and will have atleast some input into it's development.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :
I'm gonna assume iR would send a lawyer after anyone seeming to copy their systems.

You are joking aren't you? Hundreds of driving games have similar systems. You'd have trouble copy writing/getting a patent on that idea.
Quote from anttt69 :You are joking aren't you? Hundreds of driving games have similar systems. You'd have trouble copy writing/getting a patent on that idea.

Not copied the whole thing, just a "career mode".

New build racing against AI.
still some work to do on the AI then
#97 - Vain
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Question for any lawyers or people who can reach them. Simply recreating a car with a fake name isn't enough to get around a licensing issue (So Eric couldn't model an RS Cosworth and call it a FXO GT) is it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I recently studied german patent and copyright law for my own purposes. Since no one else said anything about this yet I'll give a quick answer.

According to german copyright law (which is identical to pretty much the rest of the world due to international copyright agreements):
You can sell your edit without the original artist's consent only when your own changes to the object are more defining to the object than the original item you edited.

E.g.: If your car model only looks the way it does because it was based on a Ford you have to ask for Ford's consent. If your model looks the way it does despite being based on a Ford you don't. So no, changing the name is most definitely not sufficient.

(Yes, I realize that this means quite a lot of LFS's cars inflict on existing copyrights. But since they do so only partially (Eric did add his own ideas) a lawsuit wouldn't be very productive and thus not worth the effort.)

I hope this helps.

Vain
Quote from anttt69 :You are joking aren't you? Hundreds of driving games have similar systems. You'd have trouble copy writing/getting a patent on that idea.

No, I meant copying the iR/SR idea (which people on the MP forum want to apparently)

Vain, that helps a lot, thank you
Hell, just saw this today. Looks very promising, I'm definitely intrigued and hopefully I can get some time away from the girlfriend soon to give this a shot. I'm willing to part with 10 euros to see what's what.

Plus.. Cadwell? Yum! That's worth it right there.
It says in their Project-Specific Perks that below a senior membership (100euro) you can't get access to exclusive tracks. I hope these announced tracks are not seen as exclusive but I wouldn't be surprised if some would be.

Also, junior members can only download a single build every month. For team members and up it's weekly build. I wonder what would happen if a junior member hold himself from downloading the new update and would wait a week or two for a more interesting version.. would he be able to have the newest weekly build?

anyway.. the more I play this the more I'm eager for more LFS updates!

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG