The online racing simulator
Quote from Seb66 :So what you're saying is.. it's never two moves unless the driver on the outside gets taken out?

@mythdat and Pipa

No, I'm saying it's never two moves unless it's two moves.
Quote from Intrepid :Lining up to take the corner is still a 'defensive' move. He wants to maximise the corner to defend his position.

Strictly by the rule book Schumiacher was in the wrong, not that I personally would have done him for it.

With that logic. When is a straight a straight and when is a corner a corner. Some straights in Monza could also be corners, which means he can defend as much as he like?

Going back to the racing line is fine and when hamilton was next to him at that point he left room. Next time they will do a hotline and ask the viewers who is allowed to pass and who not, but i doubt that would please you either.
The one move rule is self explanatory. A move is any deviation from your normal approach to a corner. Do this and you are not allowed to undo it (completely, using space given is okay, but you should not move right back across or attempt to impede the attacking car by making a second move in the other direction). The only grey area is when is a straight a straight?

For me the section leading to ascari is certainly a straight. Imho any section where the car's momentum doesn't require you to use all of the road (i.e you can easily stay on one side or the other) makes that section a straight.
Quote from sinbad :The one move rule is self explanatory. A move is any deviation from your normal approach to a corner. Do this and you are not allowed to undo it (completely, using space given is okay, but you should not move right back across or attempt to impede the attacking car by making a second move in the other direction). The only grey area is when is a straight a straight?

For me the section leading to ascari is certainly a straight. Imho any section where the car's momentum doesn't require you to use all of the road (i.e you can easily stay on one side or the other) makes that section a straight.

for me, a straight is defined by whether you have to turn the steering wheel to stay within the track boundaries.
Quote from dadge :for me, a straight is defined by whether you have to turn the steering wheel to stay within the track boundaries.

Fair enough. Couple of examples then. T1 at Nurburgring gp. Is the kink a corner, effectively allowing a move before and after it?

Suzuka back straight, before 130r.

The point is slightly moot anyway. MSC moved off the racing line after that kink, how else would he be able to move back onto it as they braked.
Quote from sinbad :A move is any deviation from your normal approach to a corner.

Exactly - hence moving across to block then back to take your normal line is only one move. The move across to block is the deviation, the move back is just resuming the normal approach.
Quote from mythdat :Exactly - hence moving across to block then back to take your normal line is only one move. The move across to block is the deviation, the move back is just resuming the normal approach.

No. That's just not correct.

The move back the other way is the second move. Why do you think this is even an issue if you're allowed to move back over?
Quote from sinbad :Fair enough. Couple of examples then. T1 at Nurburgring gp. Is the kink a corner, effectively allowing a move before and after it?

Suzuka back straight, before 130r.

The point is slightly moot anyway. MSC moved off the racing line after that kink, how else would he be able to move back onto it as they braked.

watch the track guide in the bbc qually programme. that kink was discussed.
Quote from sinbad :No. That's just not correct.

The move back the other way is the second move. Why do you think this is even an issue if you're allowed to move back over?

because Hamilton was punished for less.
Quote from sinbad :No. That's just not correct.

It's an issue because people don't understand the rules. It's an issue because people these days aren't used to drivers defending their position properly - the prevailing attitude is just "oh sod it, just let them go, I'll lose too much time" and putting up a half-assed defence. The only thing Schumacher did that was vaguely questionable in terms of the rules was edging Hamilton onto the grass into Curva Grande - and that was only questionable.
Quote from mythdat :It's an issue because people don't understand the rules. It's an issue because people these days aren't used to drivers defending their position properly - the prevailing attitude is just "oh sod it, just let them go, I'll lose too much time" and putting up a half-assed defence. The only thing Schumacher did that was vaguely questionable in terms of the rules was edging Hamilton onto the grass into Curva Grande - and that was only questionable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;list=PL5EDC6304332A44A8

Even itv hoped it was simple enough for people to understand.

1:55

I don't think Brundle falls into your group of people that don't understand, do you?
Hands up who else thought Alonso pushing Vettel onto the grass on the outside of Curva Grande was worse than anything Schumacher did in this race (but neither were worth penalising).
Quote from sinbad :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;list=PL5EDC6304332A44A8

Even itv hoped it was simple enough for people to understand.

1:55

I don't think Brundle falls into your group of people that don't understand, do you?

He clearly says "an unwritten rule between drivers". Meaning it's not an actual rule.

Quote from amp88 :Hands up who else thought Alonso pushing Vettel onto the grass on the outside of Curva Grande was worse than anything Schumacher did in this race (but neither were worth penalising).

Yup, absolutely.
Quote from amp88 :Hands up who else thought Alonso pushing Vettel onto the grass on the outside of Curva Grande was worse than anything Schumacher did in this race (but neither were worth penalising).

No worries, Alonso was involved, therefore its not worth discussing.

+1

Far worse than Liuzi passengering into the field in T1 aswell. The fact that multiple cars where crashed out does not instantly make losing control on the grass a crime.

If Vettel lost it and went into the wall then Alonso would have been punished even though the move was the same. (ok maybe not, it's a Ferrari @ Monza)
Yeah okay.
So Brawn didn't feel the need to warn Michael that his actions were potentially being looked by race officials in order for him to make sure he "leaves room", because it's not an actual rule.
Quote from Seb66 :So what you're saying is.. it's never two moves unless the driver on the outside gets taken out?

@mythdat and Pipa

Yep, clearly...

If even Brawn was warning MS I think it's safe to say he was on or over the 'line' of what's acceptable.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yep, clearly...

If even Brawn was warning MS I think it's safe to say he was on or over the 'line' of what's acceptable.

and that's the problem. because hamilton was punished for less, everything else after that is going to look bad. there's a lot worse going on through the pack in all races. the only reason this is a bigger issue is because of the drivers who were involved.
that's my opinion though. i thought it was a great race. it could have been boring (it usually is at monza).
Quote from BlueFlame :If even Brawn was warning MS I think it's safe to say he was on or over the 'line' of what's acceptable.

So if somebody warns me not to break the speedlimit, does that mean i have broken the speedlimit already?

You make no sense mate.
Quote from pipa :So if somebody warns me not to break the speedlimit, does that mean i have broken the speedlimit already?

You make no sense mate.

Yea, because if you haven't broken the speedlimit and somebody PERSONALLY warns you not to, they obviously BELIEVE you are going to speed. In regards to road sign warnings, they are indirect and not personally intended towards anyone, but if someone PERSONALLY warns you about something, chances are you are pushing it...
Tbh if he broke any limit I didn't see it, the only time you could argue it happened was where there was technically a corner and all he did was go to the racing line which he is entitled to do so technically he was in the right.

But stuff like this is only really possible at monza because some of the straights have kinks that can technically be called corners.

Micheal probably already knew this from experience that's why he defended in such a way.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yea, because if you haven't broken the speedlimit and somebody PERSONALLY warns you not to, they obviously BELIEVE you are going to speed. In regards to road sign warnings, they are indirect and not personally intended towards anyone, but if someone PERSONALLY warns you about something, chances are you are pushing it...

exactly. so, no line has been crossed. the limits were pushed, but not broke.
driving at 40mph in a 40 zone could be considered pushing it. after all, you're only 1mph away from breaking the limit...
Quote from dadge :exactly. so, no line has been crossed. the limits were pushed, but not broke.
driving at 40mph in a 40 zone could be considered pushing it. after all, you're only 1mph away from breaking the limit...

Not in UK when they give 10%.. :P
Quote from BlueFlame :Not in UK when they give 10%.. :P

So 44 is the new limit. My point still stands. :-P
Quote from BlueFlame :Not in UK when they give 10%.. :P

The old recommended guideline was 10% + 2mph (so 46mph in a 40, which probably means an indicated 50), but that was changed several years ago, and now local authorities are free to use their own guidelines - some counties use a zero-tolerance policy, whilst others use 2%, others use the old guideline etc.

So your argument is invalid
The speed limit is a limit, not a target.

Depending on the road and the conditions, travelling at teh limit could be unsafe.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG