The online racing simulator
Quote from Squelch :His overtaking ability has been called into question when the pressure is on. We haven't had too many opportunities to test that, but what about Spa last year? Button had gotten ahead, and Vettle tried an overtake into the bus stop chicane, lost it under braking and speared into the side of Button ending his race.

A fair point, but I wonder if the wobbly front wing made his attempt more prone to failure? Sure, he leaves pulling out late and tends to jerk the steering wheel to move alongside which isn't going to keep a car balanced, but if the aero balance is changing suddenly at the same time it isn't going to help.
Quote from tristancliffe : Sure, he leaves pulling out late and tends to jerk

One should never tempt fate by pulling out late.
That might be the simple difference between Hamilton and Vettel this year. Vettel gets on pole and then pulls away supremely, but Hamilton is under pressure (from himself it has to be said) and pulls off impatient moves.

Reverse the qualifying positions and the opinions on the driver's racecraft might be a little different. Vettel has not always covered himself in glory when trying to overtake. We need to see him fight through from the back row like we know Alonso, Webber et al can.
The proof will come when we get to Silverstone, and the Renault powered toys are taken away. I think we'll see a completely different story.
Quote from Squelch :The proof will come when we get to Silverstone, and the Renault powered toys are taken away. I think we'll see a completely different story.

I don't think that will be the case tbh, i think the gap will be closer but it's the design of the whole car, the redbull seems to mould into the track and be quite a flexible car if that makes sense whereas the McLaren is very stiff and streamlined. We'll see, will be interesting anyway.
Quote from Juzaa :I am not a native speaker so I cannot but think literally unless I sense sarcasm. I know that Button couldn't have seen Hamilton. So what? We were talking about someone being more guilty than the other right?
Button moved straight to the outside he didn't stay in the middle. Hamilton didn't see that Button was going to drive like everyone does? Hamilton being faster than Button doesn't mean anything unless he got frustrated and that caused the collision which I don't think happened.

Nobody's fault is quite unbelievable since if they both drove perfectly why did they crash then? For the record I don't believe any one should be punished, I believe it was a racing accident but still, there was someone who caused the collision, who was more to blame if you look hard enough. Is every mistake worth a penalty - no and in fact had this happened to someone else no one would be interested. Hamilton having now a total of 4 collisions in 2 races. Can't be just because of other's right? He needs to take his time with overtaking and not push in every time there's a slim chance of succeeding and a great one to crash. This was just an unfortunate accident with Button but you can't deny Hamilton has problems right now and that he needs to rethink his driving. He makes too many mistakes and with driving like what we've seen in last 2 races he'll never win the championship again.

"I don't agree that it was more Hamilton's fault than Button's. Jenson clearly knew Lewis was there after he was slow exiting the final chicane - his head tilts twice as he is watching Lewis hard in his mirrors. The incident is 50-50 blame in my view at best." quoted from Martin Brundle.

Anyway, agreed that Lewis really need to calm down, and to get out of the mentality that Vettel can pull out in front but I can't because Red Bull is better in qualifying, so I need to drive agreesively to try to win in the race.

In Monaco Lewis was on the backfoot because the team made a strategic error. But in Canada he'd got only himself to blame (rather than trying to blame the car for not being fast enough) for the position he had put himself in.

It was not necessarily "mistakes", but rather perhaps a wrong approach to how he races.
Quote from Squelch :The proof will come when we get to Silverstone, and the Renault powered toys are taken away. I think we'll see a completely different story.

I think the story will follow a similar script to what we have now. Almost all the teams are using cold-blown diffusers. Red Bull's one is arguably the most refined, but I don't think it would make a huge difference.

As for Vettel's overtaking ability, it is certainly questionable, but I don't think he'll fall flat on his face entirely. The Vettel we have seen so far this season is not the impatient hot-head we saw in 2009 or 2010. Even in 2010 he made a good showing at Silverstone, fighting through the field after being caught out by the safety car and rejoining the race from the rear of the grid. The only blight in his battle through the field was his final pass against Sutil. This year, he had to make a critical pass against Button and Massa on an outlap, which he did, followed by a further pass against Rosberg. He had tyre advantage, but on a circuit where it's typically very hard to pass, he did well.

All in all, I think Vettel will be just fine, even if he has a bad race and has to weave through the field.
Quote from JCTK :"I don't agree that it was more Hamilton's fault than Button's. Jenson clearly knew Lewis was there after he was slow exiting the final chicane - his head tilts twice as he is watching Lewis hard in his mirrors. The incident is 50-50 blame in my view at best." quoted from Martin Brundle.

It seems that we'll never completely agree on the situation but I see your point. I see the situation more as Hamilton pushing in somewhere Button was already going because of bad judgement of the situation.

Quote from JCTK : In Monaco Lewis was on the backfoot because the team made a strategic error. But in Canada he'd got only himself to blame (rather than trying to blame the car for not being fast enough) for the position he had put himself in.

It was not necessarily "mistakes", but rather perhaps a wrong approach to how he races.

That is a good point, especially about his approach to the race. I'll keep that in mind.
I'd like to remind you though that in Monaco it wasn't really the team's fault Hamilton failed in the qualifying. He made a mistake and had to cut a corner. That's not Mclaren's fault right? It was also just pure bad luck that the red flags came just as Hamilton had begun his first hotlap. Without red flags Hamilton could've driven few laps and would've gotten a good time. It wasn't something the team should have anticipated. Saving tires was very important as we saw in the race so I just don't feel it was in any way Mclaren's fault.
Quote from Juzaa :It seems that we'll never completely agree on the situation but I see your point. I see the situation more as Hamilton pushing in somewhere Button was already going because of bad judgement of the situation.

That is a good point, especially about his approach to the race. I'll keep that in mind.
I'd like to remind you though that in Monaco it wasn't really the team's fault Hamilton failed in the qualifying. He made a mistake and had to cut a corner. That's not Mclaren's fault right? It was also just pure bad luck that the red flags came just as Hamilton had begun his first hotlap. Without red flags Hamilton could've driven few laps and would've gotten a good time. It wasn't something the team should have anticipated. Saving tires was very important as we saw in the race so I just don't feel it was in any way Mclaren's fault.

For the Monaco one, he lost ONE (or two) position for the penalty of cutting the chicane. That's from 7th to 9th, and the track was for whatever reason not as quick as before, as no one was able to improve their time after the red flag.

And that was no bad luck about the red flag, it was Monaco for god sakes and red flags would be likely, and I can't believe how everyone in the team basically overlooked that fact. It was something the team, and actually Lewis himself too, should have anticipated.

But no point arguing about Monaco after the Canadian GP now...
Quote from Juzaa :It seems that we'll never completely agree on the situation but I see your point. I see the situation more as Hamilton pushing in somewhere Button was already going because of bad judgement of the situation.

He was sent out too late, he wasn't able to warm hes tryes quick enough and pretty much everyone that set a time after Perez's crash had the same problem(Webber, Rosberg, Hamilton and Massa) there was only enough time for one out lap and a time which isn't enough to get the tyres up to temperature, to make it worse most of those people where waiting at the end of the pit lane for a couple of minutes waiting for the green light.

The fact he cut the chicane wouldn't of mattered as as he still would of been around 1 second slower with cold tyres(which he also used softs).
Quote from Mustafur :He was sent out too late, he wasn't able to warm hes tryes quick enough and pretty much everyone that set a time after Perez's crash had the same problem(Webber, Rosberg, Hamilton and Massa) there was only enough time for one out lap and a time which isn't enough to get the tyres up to temperature, to make it worse most of those people where waiting at the end of the pit lane for a couple of minutes waiting for the green light.

The fact he cut the chicane wouldn't of mattered as as he still would of been around 1 second slower with cold tyres(which he also used softs).

1 second slower would've meant that he was fifth which is quite a bit more in front than 9th. The way I see it is that the team lost only 2 or 3 places and Hamilton lost the rest.

He was sent late because they wanted to use only one set of tires to give him better tires in race. There's also the most traction in the end of the qualifying so without the red flag his strategy would've been perfect. With them it wasn't. Nobody anticipated the red flag. With 10 cars driving max 4 laps pushing it's extremely rare there's a red flag and the odds that the red flag came just as Hamilton had started his hotlap is even more slim. It's quite easy to say afterwards what would've been the best strategy but try to think the odds of something happening instead of looking what happened.
I know it was bad luck, but I was just stating the reason he was slow.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG