The online racing simulator
The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
I agree with ben and dawesdust here. I have recently signed up for iracing again for a year after 2 years out, and I can honestly say it does absolutely nothing for me. I had a great deal, something like £45 for a year, and feel ripped off already

There is zero support for teams, completely unfriendly atmostphere, shit, absolutely shit racing and it feels like a chore to play it, rather than fun.

1. Why can they not let us have a simple system like lfs where we can see from our own websites who is online and where? Why don't they do it? Beats the hell out of me....

2. The racing is shit, because like you said, it is either people who are so scared of losing SR they move over as soon as you approach them, or are so mad that they take you off, costing you 10 races worth of clean racing. IMHO a great idea, implemented terribly. The effect that the SR system has on the racing experience is devastating to my experience of the sim, which brings me to my next point.

3. Damage/collision model - Do they have one? You touch a car, 4X SR hit, then your car miraculously cannot turn, not matter how small the hit, or where it hit you, wtf, seriously, I am paying a shed load of money for this piece of shit!

4. Brakes/physics - Why the hell does any car, no matter what, spin out if you brake without having some accelerator on? Do real cars do that? ARGHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, I have ranted a million times about the problems with iracing, and I think LFS is a million times better product aswell as value, but....

We need an update badly. The present z30 is perfect for what we have been crying out for, some much needed content. It will keep us busy for a few months at least. 1 month out of Scawens time I think is perfectly acceptable considering the delays with the VW, S3 and the physics patch. Let's just hope we don't get too many requests for this patch and he gets on with the real patch...
So... Will send naked pics for team admission.
You just summed up my point, thank you. Go shave your vagina.

Quote from jasonmatthews :I agree with ben and dawesdust here. I have recently signed up for iracing again for a year after 2 years out, and I can honestly say it does absolutely nothing for me. I had a great deal, something like £45 for a year, and feel ripped off already

There is zero support for teams, completely unfriendly atmostphere, shit, absolutely shit racing and it feels like a chore to play it, rather than fun.

1. Why can they not let us have a simple system like lfs where we can see from our own websites who is online and where? Why don't they do it? Beats the hell out of me....

2. The racing is shit, because like you said, it is either people who are so scared of losing SR they move over as soon as you approach them, or are so mad that they take you off, costing you 10 races worth of clean racing. IMHO a great idea, implemented terribly. The effect that the SR system has on the racing experience is devastating to my experience of the sim, which brings me to my next point.

3. Damage/collision model - Do they have one? You touch a car, 4X SR hit, then your car miraculously cannot turn, not matter how small the hit, or where it hit you, wtf, seriously, I am paying a shed load of money for this piece of shit!

4. Brakes/physics - Why the hell does any car, no matter what, spin out if you brake without having some accelerator on? Do real cars do that? ARGHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, I have ranted a million times about the problems with iracing, and I think LFS is a million times better product aswell as value, but....

We need an update badly. The present z30 is perfect for what we have been crying out for, some much needed content. It will keep us busy for a few months at least. 1 month out of Scawens time I think is perfectly acceptable considering the delays with the VW, S3 and the physics patch. Let's just hope we don't get too many requests for this patch and he gets on with the real patch...

Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I think you are really showing your lack of awareness of what is happening within LFS Community.

Do you think it's unfair to perceive this update as being the LFS Cruise Patch?

Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :... That coupled with a skewed perception of what LFS should be in your head, and what in reality it actually is.

I'm not going to argue with this, but if you are going to blame my attitude on a misunderstanding of what LFS is, are you going to go on to argue that it isn't mostly "cruise" servers and that this patch isn't mostly pandering to those people?

I know you've always been busy in leagues, I've never been able to do that because I can't guarantee I'll be around at regular times. Leagues are useless to me - I need good casual racing, which I used to get from LFS and I've never seen from any other multiplayer sim.
Yeah but Kev, the point of this patch is to help us normal racers aswell. We need content, Scawen has provided it with the minimum of effort, it is now up to the community to provide layouts and servers with these new combos.
Kev, think of the fun of the Kyoto Double!

Speaking of which, has someone made it yet?
I think iirc (the story) Victor asked for some changes to the cameras etc to help with LFS record, which then spawned the other changes to the drawn objects for moving the camera more freely, which allowed open layouts, then barriers are needed to block certain areas, so barrier fixes followed. Racers are able to utilise the changes, so are cruisers. I really don't think Scawen sat down and said, "okay how to make this better for cruising now?"

I think you should blame the Victor not the cruise.
I spent 2 hours racing on the NDR Z30 server yesterday, and it reminded me why LFS is the only "game" I still play regularly :

Plug in wheel, plug in self butchered shifter, start up the game, join a server and just race. No need for monthly paying, works with all input devices, runs on this outdated machine ->
And poeple in general are nice and not too serious (" 'av rolled")

btw, crash detection works a lot better now, in all situations (car-car, car-barrier, car-tires etc) I remember the scattered tires on FE being mischievous suspension breakers, now they do next to nothin to the car.
Quote from aaltomar : it's essentially peanuts.

Yes, if you don't want any of the content, right?

Quote from DeKo :Are you living in an alternate universe? Someone on minimum wage can't spare $4 per month?

Anyway, your point is mute. People who want to play LFS, or rFactor, spend £200 on a wheel, then £600 ish on a PC. It's hardly cheap either, is it?

So people don't need a 200£ wheel and a 600£ ish PC for iRacing?

Who has a mute point again?

Besides, you're not getting a wheel or a PC JUST for LFS, you ALREADY had a PC, and probably already a wheel. THEN you buy LFS and it's there for ever. 4$ a month? Well when I looked about signing up, it was a hell of a lot more than that. more like 30$.

For 4$ a month I am guessing you get almost no content? Just a car and a track?

The fact LFS and iRacing get compared so often makes it a no brainer for me. LFS is cheaper. By along way, some 200£ at least.

And if LFS and iRacing get compared? Well it obviously means they are in the same region of difficulty/simulation as each other and I'd rather pay 24£ for life, rather than 24$ for the rest of my life (if I want to continue playing it) and then you essentially force yourself to make use of something you're still paying for. I mean, maybe I'm just a bit jewish, but if you are paying for something , you should use it. You wouldn't insure a car and just leave it on the drive right? But people who pay for iracing month after month may not even play it for more than twice a month. The fact you are defending iRacing on the LIVE FOR SPEED forum spells it out as to which YOU think is the better game.
Quote from BlueFlame :... 4$ a month? Well when I looked about signing up, it was a hell of a lot more than that. more like 30$.

For 4$ a month I am guessing you get almost no content? Just a car and a track?

Just setting record straight before misinformation is spread.
Month by month: $12 per month
3 Month Sub: $30 ($10 per month)
Yearly sub: $99 ($8.25 per month)
2 Yearly sub: $179 ($7.45 per month)

Plus there's other savings:
1 season participation credit in two car classes: (2 races per week, 8/12 weeks) earns you up to $8 per season
4 seasons x $8.00 = $32.00 credit per year
e: yes you will have to buy some content to particpate in this scheme.

Occasionally you can get special 1 year sub for $75.00 ($25 off)

$75.00 - $32.00(credit) = $43.00 yearly price / 12 = $3.60 per month

So yes $4.00 per month if you shop smart.

Content is extra - basic content includes 6 cars, 8 tracks +1 more now
NOT 1 car and 1 track.

Sure it is more expensive. But I spent over $2500 on hardware to play just LFS alone. So not much difference to me. FWIW it's "moot point" not "mute point" hehe
Not sure where people were getting 4$ a month from then, I knew it was more than that.

At least I'm more aware of it's pricings now, it's just stupid to pay monthly for a game, only to have to pay for extra content aswell.
In GB English (and Can English) it does. USA it doesn't. Although I find it kinda silly to write it "Dollar 15" instead of "15 Dollar".
Quote from BlueFlame :3 days to get 550$? Doing what? Professional football? Coming home with 165$ a day? And your what? Under 20? That's what living in the best economic country (Norway) of the world lets you have. Of course it's nothing to you, what about everyone else? Where in their countries earning 80£ a day is considered being well off indeed.

Iracing is a waste of money. FACT. Just like WOW. Yes monthly sub is fine, but paying for any extra content is too much willingly parting with your money. You may aswell feed your paper notes through a straw in a donkeys ass. It would probably stick with you in your mind for alot longer than 10mins after doing it.

I was a teacher! But yeah, well, got about 200-400$ for it. But still, my point is still valid. Pick up some coins on the street every day, and you can afford iRacing if you're lucky. I bought EVERYTHING, that is NOT needed. So really, $550 isnt much. You make it sound like you gotta sell your car to afford it. Just save money, and dont spend it on something else. Try to cut your budget, and you can afford it easily.
Quote from BlueFlame :Not sure where people were getting 4$ a month from then, I knew it was more than that.

At least I'm more aware of it's pricings now, it's just stupid to pay monthly for a game, only to have to pay for extra content aswell.

Well no, because clearly the require quite a large revenue (I've no idea about their profit margins, or what each track/car actually costs them), and think about how offputting that first month would be if it cost $50. It would be a headache to make it work, I reckon.

As much as it is not at all for me, iRacing's structure is really quite fair. The people that want a track are the ones that pay for the track. So the people that only really want to do oval racing are not forced to pay for all the other tracks that they do not want to use.

You don't have to like it, you definitely don't have to subscribe for a year, or even try it, but it's not stupid.
Quote from jasonmatthews :
4. Brakes/physics - Why the hell does any car, no matter what, spin out if you brake without having some accelerator on? Do real cars do that?

I rarely do that even when trail braking. You have to be quite carefull with the brakes in iRacing as it's very sensitive on weight transfer. If you're mid corner and your brake balance is towards the rear then you will most likely spin if you apply too much braking. Slow in, fast out, brake heavy when going straight and ease the brakes as you turn in (be carefull here too so that you don't lift to abruptly). I also very rarely apply any throttle until the apex. Of course if I screw up I may tap the throttle / brakes here and there to settle the car. To be fast you really need be presice on corner entry i.e. your lines have to be 'perfect'.

I do agree on the SR side. It makes playing the sim more like a job. And for me I do get extra anxious about racing and either being too slow or running into someone else. I'm no Huttu

But I do appreciate the simulation side, iRacing is a bit more immersive than LFS which age is showing these days. Partly because of sound, partly because of graphics, partly because of 'real' cars and partly because of accurate and more lively and varied track surface, the cars feels very much more alive than the LFS counterparts.

I do have hopes for LFS, but to me the progress has been too slow. And while I surely can't demand or expect the LFS devs to work in a certain manner, being sometimes (very rarely) impulsive, I do think taking 6 months sabattical from LFS to fix/renovate/move a house is not thinking about your customers (we are pretty low on the priority list). When at the same time I put in the 'work' of trying to be interested in LFS and follow the forums frequently to get a snippet of information. The long wait isn't any easier even when Scawen says "do something else in the meanwhile" when the promise is that they will deliver, you just don't have any indication whether its measured in weeks on in years. You're still interested and crave for information.

So essentially you may put a lot of your time in following LFS but this time is not rewarded. At least in iRacing they treat you as a valued customer, not you individually but the community as a whole. They do try to improve and provide additional content frequently. Of course they run a bigger organization but hell, it gets the job done.

I was the biggest fan of LFS in the early days. Even promoted the first beta in Racesimcentral GPL forums and tried to get people interested. LFS was something really exceptional even on that early stage. I loved how 'analogue' LFS felt. You bumbed into another car and 'bump' felt real. You could really feel the weight transfer and the updates kept coming frequently. I don't know how the devs feel about LFS these days. Maybe they had higher expectations on success? They don't seem very enthusiastic about it anymore, it feels like LFS is on lower priority for them too. That's what it feels like.
Quote from sinbad :.

You don't have to like it, you definitely don't have to subscribe for a year, or even try it, but it's not stupid.

I'm talking as a consumer, not as a business model.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :In GB English (and Can English) it does. USA it doesn't. Although I find it kinda silly to write it "Dollar 15" instead of "15 Dollar".

It most certainly does in the USA.
Serious? I've always found it to be "'dem 'mericans" that write it "15$" instead of $15.

Maybe I'm just insane.. or have been sleeping too logn
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Serious? I've always found it to be "'dem 'mericans" that write it "15$" instead of $15.

Maybe I'm just insane.. or have been sleeping too logn

It's those bloody Europeans confusing things again, they write 100e etc.
Stupid Euro-fags

Anyways.. still looking for a team. very slow.. but I know how to not wreck people!
Join the paws mobile, We also dislike silly Europeans that do it backwards.

1+ to member count?

The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG