The online racing simulator
The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
The Cruise Patch
I was thinking the other day that I might get another wheel and start racing online again, then the patch to provide better cruise servers on LFS comes out. I haven't looked but I'm assuming you can place Burger Kings using the autocross editor now.

So what sim should I get if I want to do racing these days, is there only iRacing?
NetKar Pro
Actually, most of the "new" open config tracks are awesome. You should join the NDR Z30 server, some pretty damn good races in the evenings there.
Racing Legends.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Actually, most of the "new" open config tracks are awesome. You should join the NDR Z30 server, some pretty damn good races in the evenings there.

I agree, though it's just fashion wave which brings lots of shit driving and will disappear as fast, as cloud of radiation from Fukushima above USA. Also nKp is more dead than dead horse in a pile of dead horses, at least online it's very bad. So... yeah, iRacing.
or rFactor if you're into Megane Trophy @ Toban/Silverstone Short or Mills, because those are pretty much the only thing online there
NkPro got the best physics though, and its getting bigger But yeah, iRacing is the ultimate sim. And iRacing 2.0 is getting out this summer (with new tyre physics).
Interesting to see you joining the growing torrent of lfs bashers Kev, is it really the sim that dictates if you or I race, drift or cruise?

I find it amusing that some of these hardcore Iracing players have probably spent so much on their beloved sim that they could have started a real racing career in ministocks or some other entry level motorsport.

Of course some are probably just too fat & unfit to do this and others I am sure would be banned after being too aggressive for the real world.

SD.
uhh wouldn't really agree with that. Would barely buy a set of tyres for said ministock for the price of iRacing.
#10 - DeKo
iRacing, basically. NKPs netcode is too terrible to race online, and rFactor is pish.

Dave, iRacing is basically cheap, $12 every 3 months, and around $50 in content for a 12 week season, which you don't have to pay again the next season. Not exactly dear. If you bought all of the content it runs to maybe $500. If you can do a full racing season for $500, I want to find it.
I have bought everything at iR, and purchased two seperate years. I've spent about $550. I am already racing in the cheapest racing class in scandiavia. It costs $550 to SIGN UP for ONE race.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I was thinking the other day that I might get another wheel and start racing online again, then the patch to provide better cruise servers on LFS comes out. I haven't looked but I'm assuming you can place Burger Kings using the autocross editor now.

So what sim should I get if I want to do racing these days, is there only iRacing?

If only you at least bothered having a quick look at the server list, you would have realised that thanks to new open configurations, this new patch somehow managed to bring back some active single class public racing around, at least for a few days so far. With no point/class system or gimmicks of this sort, no sir. Only pure racing, to a certain degree very close to the "good old days" praided by so many ancient members - ages I unfortunately didn't have the chance to know myself.

I've personally seen several drivers coming back to activity just to check the new combos, after they disappeared from LFS' servers for months, if not for years. I've also seen several drivers with very strong millages pretending they've had the best fun they've ever had on LFS thanks to this patch.

I know that bashing the devs on their way of development is so much mainstream nowadays, but you I'm affraid you took a bad timing there. The new configurations seem to have a big impact on the racing community. The real question is will the interrest within the community last, or is it just a few days interrest boost before we get back to the old marasm. But by rejecting everything without even trying to look aware of the current situation, I'm affraid your opinion won't sound very credible.

But anyway, to answer your question. You have iRacing, if you don't mind paying fortunes for a racing simulator. You have netKar pro, if you don't mind having a go on a very "rough diamant" with so many fixes needed and no real community behind. You have rFactor if you don't mind bearing thousands of unrealistic mods and sometimes arcade-ish feeling. LFS still looks like a decent compromise out of this list. But your choice overall.
Spent pretty much the entire weekend on the NDR Z30 server and had a great time. Some of the new configs are instant classics (and will hopefully be coded into the next full release as legit tracks).

The standard of driving is the same as it ever was, when aliens and n00bs mix, but overall it was excellent fun. Hope it keeps up for a while.
Quote from SparkyDave :
I find it amusing that some of these hardcore Iracing players have probably spent so much on their beloved sim that they could have started a real racing career in ministocks or some other entry level motorsport.

Of course some are probably just too fat & unfit to do this and others I am sure would be banned after being too aggressive for the real world.

Very much agreed.
Quote from BlueFlame :Very much agreed.

Quote from Tomhah :I have bought everything at iR, and purchased two seperate years. I've spent about $550. I am already racing in the cheapest racing class in scandiavia. It costs $550 to SIGN UP for ONE race.

$550 is not a shit really. If you prioritate, its np. I worked 3 days to get over half of that amount, its not that hard..
Quote from SparkyDave :Interesting to see you joining the growing torrent of lfs bashers Kev, is it really the sim that dictates if you or I race, drift or cruise?

SD.

Ouch, common Dave, he didn't really say anything out of line just good old finely crafted Kev sarcasm! At least his tongue in cheek poke at LFS had wit to it unlike most of the drivel around here the last few years
#17 - DeKo
Quote from BlueFlame :Very much agreed.

Can you show me where to get a full season of racing for £400? I really would like to know.
Yes as you can see kev, patch is good I picked up my burger through the Fly-Through
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Yes as you can see kev, patch is good I picked up my burger through the Fly-Through

:eye-poppi

i'm glad i watched through the lag...

that whole windmill section looks awesome, i can't believe it's been hidden away for so long. actual street curbs... brick sidewalks... the unobstructed urban scenery... that would be an awesome track if they finished it.
#20 - th84
Me and my friend are currently having a great time racing grocery buggies around the parking lot at work.
A bit on topic and a bit off.

Is there a sim(ish) game that has the retro muscle cars Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

Physics engine should be a bit above arcade, so you have to use the brakes. Graphics don't need to be too outrageous. Either net racing or goodish AI. And the important part: You can have mixed races and the cars have some differences.

I know that iRacing has the Mustang but I don't want to pay for a game per month...
rF with the HistoriX mod is the closest you'll get, I think.
Quote from DeKo :Can you show me where to get a full season of racing for £400? I really would like to know.

At your local RENT-A-KART.
Quote from Tomhah :$550 is not a shit really. If you prioritate, its np. I worked 3 days to get over half of that amount, its not that hard..

3 days to get 550$? Doing what? Professional football? Coming home with 165$ a day? And your what? Under 20? That's what living in the best economic country (Norway) of the world lets you have. Of course it's nothing to you, what about everyone else? Where in their countries earning 80£ a day is considered being well off indeed.

Iracing is a waste of money. FACT. Just like WOW. Yes monthly sub is fine, but paying for any extra content is too much willingly parting with your money. You may aswell feed your paper notes through a straw in a donkeys ass. It would probably stick with you in your mind for alot longer than 10mins after doing it.
Back to topic and not financial matters, I have Posted that Layout for you Kev (and everyone else of course)
But did you have to ask such as silly question, when you know the answer is LFS

Just go easy on the burgers.

The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG