The online racing simulator
£100k to insure a £350 Fiat Punto...
(72 posts, started )
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Amber means prepare to stop, what if I'm not prepared to stop?

Amber is only really there as a cushion to allow traffic still in the turning lane to get out of the intersection but the traffic light systems mostly have a few seconds where all lights are on red before any lights go green anyway, so going through on an amber isn't really a big deal.
Quote from Jakg :Quinn wont cover damage done due to the sonic booms of aircraft...

This inspired me to read the small print (I'm with Quinn too).

Apparently we're not covered if we use the car to hunt for treasure. No bullshitting, this is actually one of the stated conditions.
I can insure a Nissan GT-R under my name for 1.4k full coverage and im 20(living in a reasonably crappy area), which kind of proves how fail your system is.
#57 - PoVo
Quote from PoVo :"Vauxhall Astro" - direct quote DailyMail.

If the age is as accurate as the car model, then my god....

I know, that is why I don't like using the Mail, the reporters are all a bunch of cut and paste idiots. Half way down the page they start using Corsa again, but a lot of their articles have just been direct cut and paste from places like Facebook.
Quote from Jakg :Quinn wont cover damage done due to the sonic booms of aircraft...

you're not supposed to break the sound barrier over land in the states, i'm surprised it doesn't apply over there too...
hi guys here it costs ~100 gbp/year to insure a 300 hp bmw
bye
#61 - Jakg
Quote from bunder9999 :you're not supposed to break the sound barrier over land in the states, i'm surprised it doesn't apply over there too...

I think you can, but only in certain areas with ATC permisson, however I certainly doubt it'd be allowed at a height which would shatter glass - I would imagine this was more of a "what if there was a war" term...
Quote from E.Reiljans :hi guys here it costs ~100 gbp/year to insure a 300 hp bmw
bye

Yeah, but there is a catch. You have to live in Latvia for it to happen, so I think most people would choose to pay high insurance.

Quote from bunder9999 :you're not supposed to break the sound barrier over land in the states, i'm surprised it doesn't apply over there too...

It does apply here, you can only break the sound barrier offshore. Or over very exact bits of land, mostly islands. When Concorde was flying the flight path went over Guernsey, they'd break the sound barrier over the island. The sound the sonic boom made was fantastic. But lets be honest, there is no way it'd damage your vehicle from that altitude. It is just a silly clause trumped up as a "just in case" measure.

Well that's kind of stupid because an aircraft sonic boom probably wouldn't damage your car, unless the aircraft is 10ft off the ground, or you are parked behind one on a runway.. lol
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Amber means prepare to stop, what if I'm not prepared to stop?

IIRC the highway code says you should be preparing for lights to change while you approach :P but my point was not with someone going through as it goes Amber, i know you have to at times but when its been Amber for 5 seconds and 3 cars have already gone through and you still steam through, that's when I have a problem with it.
Quote from Leifde :but when its been Amber for 5 seconds and 3 cars have already gone through and you still steam through, that's when I have a problem with it.

the red light cameras that we use in canada will mail you a ticket for that... despite the name.
Also from the Daily Mail:

Quote :Girl, 15, who shoved seven-month-old baby into path of bus is sent on anger management course

Last updated at 9:39 PM on 3rd April 2011

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

A girl tearaway has been sent on an anger management course after she shoved a seven-month-old baby into a bus lane.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new ... course.html#ixzz1IVPtzm4O

Quote :She was ordered to pay £20 to the baby to compensate the injuries he suffered

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new ... course.html#ixzz1IVQGqV9r

LOL.
I know I shouldn't laugh, but ROFL!

What the fudge would a Baby do with £20?!

:chairfall
I work for an insurance company and 2009-2010 we made a loss on motor insurance despite the costs steadily going up to balance out the loss ratios. I used to quote on average a first time young male driver £1800 during the beginning of that year, it's increased now pretty quickly to around £3500, by all means the risk of all drivers hasn't changed much, infact it hasn't really changed at all.

Here's a brief breakdown from what I remember, I get staff updates on my internal mail so it mainly comes from memory!

- Everything has suffered inflation in the UK due to the economic shift and increased taxes; this has effected the premiums directly, as well as claims because what insurance pays out on has effectively been suffered by inflation too.

- Comparison websites, as much as we like to use them have caused insurance ironically to rise. An insurer has to pay to be on the comparison website to start off with, and then a further amount of commission if that customer goes with a quotation originally done on the comparison websites.

They have also formed a massively unrealistic competitive market for insurance, meaning insurers are now having to push every pound down to get to the top, effectively not making money on the customer unless they renew the following year as they wouldn't have to pay comparison websites for this.

- E-commerce insurance policies and the fact that no matter how fraudulent an policy is; in the event of a claim they cannot refuse to pay out on third-party damages, they can only attempt to gain these back afterwards via the vast expensive legal system, mainly resulting in further loss.

- Fraudulent whiplash claims where in a car, normally with 5 people in, slams the brakes on unexpectedly resulting in the driver behind to go into them. More often than not, this means all 5 people get thousands in fraudulent whiplash claims, the legal costs are paid for by the insurer too.

- Rising car crime in areas, mainly city areas.

- Rising amount of uninsured drivers. It's quite easy to get caught if a car is completely uninsured, it's mainly more risky drivers driving a car in a less risky drivers name. For example son/daughter driving parents car when they aren't insured on it. They are more likely to have an accident, and if they do despite them not technically being insured, the insurer of the car still has to pay out on third-party damages and attempt to recover them later. Of course on the flipside, increasing premiums are causing more people to resort to this to actually get on the road.

- Whiplash cannot be proved true or false, and due to 'no win no fee' accident compensation companies this massively encourages people to claim no matter the outcome as a result of an accident, you'd be stupid not to...right?

- Generally worst weather than previous recent years, and more pressure to get to work and make the money means more people are on the road during times they should take it more carefully.

Add these together and then try and make some profit.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Yeah, but there is a catch. You have to live in Latvia for it to happen, so I think most people would choose to pay high insurance.

eastern europe is alot nice then the uk to be fair.

plenty of old fiats and ladas for daily driving then keep your 3.8 or better bmw for the weekend
that's odd.. haven't seen more than 5 ladas per year, last 10 years
Quote from theirishnoob :plenty of old fiats and ladas for daily driving then keep your 3.8 or better bmw for the weekend

..and all of that at age of just 18 (providing your rich daddy bought you a car).

£100k to insure a £350 Fiat Punto...
(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG