The online racing simulator
£100k to insure a £350 Fiat Punto...
(72 posts, started )
As said in the article, the insurers have said it must be a glitch with there quote systems, so I don't see the big deal?

I know insurance is high for us young drivers, but I thought it would be quite obvious that a quote of £100k for a little Punto is down to some sort of error?
yeah but what about

Quote :Provident offered £26,474 and Sabre £20,068. Ben tried another website site and the cheapest quote fell - to £10,598. Ben said: "The figures are almost laughable. My car will just have to collect dust.

It's not just Aviva. Unluckily for him, he lives in a high car crime area. But since they are working it out with him, he'll probably get something cheap.
Most probably the decimal point in the wrong place. Comparison sites are good for a general idea, but a quick phone around never hurts anyone, rather than going to a red top I'd have just phoned a couple of brokers and see what they could do for me. The quote I was given by Go Compare for my van was lowered by £200 by the broker when I got on the phone, just because the computer didn't know if I had a turbo or not.
I've never had a cheaper quote over the phone. Infact alot of the time, if I go to say, Axa directly it's £xxxx.

But if I go through a Broker and it's underwritten by Axa, it's £xxx.

Insurance is a genuine pisstake. Young people are the driving force (literally) of this country and they're getting shafted. They're the least well off people who depend on their cars the most, use your ****ing brains you selfish, ****ish insurance companies.
Never had insurance, never will. I'm too epic for that.
It's not about the price of the car being insured but if you crash with your Punto into .. Lets say... A speedtrap camera.. Who is paying for that damage?

I also could say a Mercedes Benz of 100K pounds but it maybe has a few scratches in case of a collision with a Punto

But you get my point? It's not about the car but the damage you could cause with it.

If you hit someone on a bicycle with it, it will also cost a lot of money. Hospital costs, revalidation in specialized clinics, that person can maybe never work anymore in his/her life.

Thats where insurance is for. Not for a shitty 350 pound car.

Having no car insurance therefore is a crime in this country.
Here insurance coverage for any harm causes to your self or another person in an accident is included in the yearly car registration fee..

If you want insurance for property damage you go through a private insurance company.
#9 - PoVo
Quote from cargame.nl :It's not about the price of the car being insured but if you crash with your Punto into .. Lets say... A speedtrap camera.. Who is paying for that damage?

I also could say a Mercedes Benz of 100K pounds but it maybe has a few scratches in case of a collision with a Punto

But you get my point? It's not about the car but the damage you could cause with it.

If you hit someone on a bicycle with it, it will also cost a lot of money. Hospital costs, revalidation in specialized clinics, that person can maybe never work anymore in his/her life.

Thats where insurance is for. Not for a shitty 350 pound car.

Having no car insurance therefore is a crime in this country.

If that is so, then why should the elderly be able to pay barely anything?
Because younger people tend to search for limits, drive a lot more (more adventurous) and are very inexperienced in general.

Pure risk analysis.
#11 - mr_x
Quote from cargame.nl :Because younger people tend to search for limits, drive a lot more (more adventurous) and are very inexperienced in general.

Pure risk analysis.

Actually that's not quite true from my experience.

Many times I've joined a motorway behind an elderly person and they join a carriageway with 56mph lorries going down it at under 30mph.

I quite often find that young people are more sensible - join at the right speed, then maybe they go too fast, but they're nothing on middle-aged Audi and BMW (increasingly VW too) drivers who just drive like dickheads.

Just last week I nearly had an Audi driver in the back of me as he tailgated me - I was doing 75mph overtaking and there was a wagon pulling out infront of me to overtake another - I hit the brakes, not hard, he wasn't paying attention and must have been so close to the back of my car, yet gave me a massive flash of lights and horn.

And it's not the first time that's happened!

My point is, young drivers get hit incredibly hard and extremely unfairly for insurance, I'm 23 now with 6 years claim free and point free driving experience, yet my insurance was still £700 at last renewal on a 1.6l Focus. If the above person hit the back of my car I bet his insurance renewal would still be a lot cheaper than £700 at next renewal.
Yeah I dont understand how some elderly people are still allowed to drive.

Yesterday while walking home I saw an old lady, about in her 80s I would say. Trouble walking, has to use a cane, all shaky, literally took her 5mins to get in the car....

I mean come on now.

And yes, they are a pain in the butt on the road. Its like a moving lamp post, you have to keep avoiding them so you dont have a shunt...
Quote from mr_x :Actually that's not quite true from my experience.

Many times I've joined a motorway behind an elderly person and they join a carriageway with 56mph lorries going down it at under 30mph.

I quite often find that young people are more sensible - join at the right speed, then maybe they go too fast, but they're nothing on middle-aged Audi and BMW (increasingly VW too) drivers who just drive like dickheads.

Just last week I nearly had an Audi driver in the back of me as he tailgated me - I was doing 75mph overtaking and there was a wagon pulling out infront of me to overtake another - I hit the brakes, not hard, he wasn't paying attention and must have been so close to the back of my car, yet gave me a massive flash of lights and horn.

And it's not the first time that's happened!

My point is, young drivers get hit incredibly hard and extremely unfairly for insurance, I'm 23 now with 6 years claim free and point free driving experience, yet my insurance was still £700 at last renewal on a 1.6l Focus. If the above person hit the back of my car I bet his insurance renewal would still be a lot cheaper than £700 at next renewal.

But the facts show that the elderly drivers, and the "dickhead" BMW/AUDI drivers do not have as many accidents as young drivers do.

Anecdotal evidence is meaningless, tbh, and if it weren't I'm sure we all could probably come up with far more stories of young drivers driving badly than of any other 10 year age group.
My 1983 Truimph Acclaim 1.3 HL (High Line, bitches!) costs me £860 a year Third Party Fire & Theft. 6k annual miles and one named driver with one conviction. I am the legal owner of the car and the policy holder. So far the costs for this car + insurance are £1660.

My mate has a 1.2 03 plate Corsa SXi. His mom is the legal owner and also the insurance policy holder. His insurance is TPFT, limited to 2k annual miles (which he did in about 3 weeks...) and used to cost him £1400. Since he lid about his moms claim (2 years ago, most companies ask for declaration of claims within 3(?) years) they have just voided his insurance. His cheapest quote now is £2500. So his motoring, plus 2k for the car, has cost him nearly 4 grand.

If kids stop creaming over saxos and corsas there wouldnt be a problem! I'm happy with my "grandad ride" as it is effectively known but is saved me a fistful of dolla (besides oil and some stonechip paint...)
Quote from mr_x :but they're nothing on middle-aged Audi and BMW (increasingly VW too) drivers who just drive like dickheads.

Agreed, when I show up in your mirror you have to get out of the way, pronto!

blue flag!!
Quote from cargame.nl :Agreed, when I show up in your mirror you have to get out of the way, pronto!

blue flag!!

Get use to it :eclipsee_
#18 - pipa
While elderly people may be annoying on the road, they mostly have lighter accidents. Maybe a bump here or there, but you certainly wouldn't see them rolling their car through a ditch while on fire.
Most accidents are because of old ladies but the reason that statistically they are not at risk is because they either drive off or don't even notice.

Quote from mr_x :I was doing 75mph overtaking

You were speeding, not only were you breaking the law, your insurance would be void. Good work genius.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Most accidents are because of old ladies but the reason that statistically they are not at risk is because they either drive off or don't even notice.

So very true. Had a runin with an old lady a couple of days ago.

Quote from twitter :Nearly wrote off Vanessa. Stupid old bat pulled out on me, came inches from T-Boning her, blasted my horn, lights on and she never noticed me. If you can't see a light up van on a clear day with perfect vision down the road, that stops 12 inchs from you, you don't belong on the road.

Quote from pipa :While elderly people may be annoying on the road, they mostly have lighter accidents. Maybe a bump here or there, but you certainly wouldn't see them rolling their car through a ditch while on fire.

depends where you live, ive had a bumper knocked off by an o.a.p but that car was worth about 400 $ tops and the new bumper cost em 25 quid to replace where as her micras lights, bumper, fog's etc cost quite a packet more.

i didnt claim but she did though at 60-odd years old her insurance wouldn't go as high as mine ( she was fully comp )

but haven said that i have gotten some serious joke qoutes ( 3500 for a 1.3 civic, but as secodn named driver on a skyline, im paying 690 per year... )
#22 - mr_x
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You were speeding, not only were you breaking the law, your insurance would be void. Good work genius.

That I was, more because he was right up my arse and I was watching where he was and a lot more-so the road ahead as far as I could in case I needed to brake more than anything - I don't speed normally because; 1. I can't afford the petrol doing it and 2. I can't afford the points on my license!

I'm sure you've been there/done that before.

After today it's Nottingham's taxi drivers I have a thing against now! Had 2 nearly plough into the side of me as they reached a give way junction.
#23 - Jakg
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You were speeding, not only were you breaking the law, your insurance would be void. Good work genius.

Except it wouldnt be, at all.
Quote from mr_x :That I was, more because he was right up my arse and I was watching where he was and a lot more-so the road ahead as far as I could in case I needed to brake more than anything - I don't speed normally because; 1. I can't afford the petrol doing it and 2. I can't afford the points on my license!

I'm sure you've been there/done that before.

After today it's Nottingham's taxi drivers I have a thing against now! Had 2 nearly plough into the side of me as they reached a give way junction.

That is why I'm glad I did defensive driving, if someone is right up my back bumper I will hold speed. When you speed up they will follow you and slowing down just turns them into bigger dicks.

But yes, when I was a youth I'd regularly stray the speed limit, but a close call stopped me from doing that instantly.

Quote from Jakg :Except it wouldnt be, at all.

If your insurer felt the like it, they are well within their rights to cancel the policy for anyway who caused a crash by breaking the law. It happens to a lot of people. It is even in your contract with your broker, but I'm sure you've read that cover to cover, right?
#25 - Jakg
Quote from P5YcHoM4N : It is even in your contract with your broker, but I'm sure you've read that cover to cover, right?

Actually, I have... it's always nice to know the weird, wonderful and unenforceable restrictions they impose (although I have to admit this and my phone contract are probably the only wordy T&C's i've ever properly read...)

Your insurers cannot stop covering you because your speeding - no matter what it says in your policy documents. Even if the police said you driving without due care etc, insurance is to cover *accidents* so they would still have to pay.

Same situation for if your a drunk driver, if your hit by a drunk driver, or if your cars MOT expires (although only if the car was "roadworthy") - the insurers can use the T&C's to get out of fully-comp obligations, but they cannot get out of their third party obligations. In fact many insurers (including Elephant...) will even try to sell you cover to things they exclude in the T&C's which they actually can't exclude by law.

(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG