The online racing simulator
LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )

Poll : Should LFS be sold on Steam

Closed since :
No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
¿Why?

LFS has a pretty good digital delivery system, online piracy control, update system, and a cloud-like system for skins (Now I think it would be nice to have an online space for setups and game settings :nod

Getting into Steam means a lot of visibility, it's true, but at the cost of a percentage of the sale profit.

¿You want achievements or somethig? LOL
YES. End of discussion
Quote from logitekg25 :well it would bring alot of amatures and kids looking to just crash into all servers. there will be the bored kids wrecking demo, then the rich ones wrecking s2 servers, or trying to race good without knowing how to even slip a clutch (which is a reality soon here with almost everyone driving an automatic)

sry for late reply on this but.. you really think people would purchase S2 off steam just to come along and crash? i think not, and if its accidental noob driving your talking about.. what where you when you first started?
Quote from xtraction :sry for late reply on this but.. you really think people would purchase S2 off steam just to come along and crash? i think not, and if its accidental noob driving your talking about.. what where you when you first started?

offline for the first year.

EDIT: but i just realized my response honestly doesnt work, cause that was my specific rare case. so what about the demo crashers, unless there will be no demo on steam? Perhaps there will be the people who want to race, but think they are the stig immediately and crash every t1 they can get at, but not on purpose. this will happen alot more then currently if we put it on steam..
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :
You don't find sim racers from communities like steam.

What exactly have you based this statement on? there are over 1200 games already on Steam, 211 of those in the Simulation category AND there is more than 30,000,000 active users, that is more than the population of most countries, to suggest that this many people can be classified as one community is ridiculous.

Steam is a virtual store with all kinds of games just like your local game shop, it is not the underage night club you seem to think it is.

Each game just like every where else has it's own community and it attracts a certain type of gamer.
Quote from logitekg25 :offline for the first year.

EDIT: but i just realized my response honestly doesnt work, cause that was my specific rare case. so what about the demo crashers, unless there will be no demo on steam? Perhaps there will be the people who want to race, but think they are the stig immediately and crash every t1 they can get at, but not on purpose. this will happen alot more then currently if we put it on steam..

Demo is always a crash fest regardless of where the people found the game.
i have good experiences on most demo servers. you just have to be a little more aware of the less skilled.
Right, so far the majority of the no voters have supplied this thread with holed logic and trolling. How exactly will Steam bring an immature crowed?
i don't know how many kids that worked on but it sounds real creepy. like steal your clean underwear creepy.
Holy **** guys stop bickering. You're like a married couple.

Quote from FPVaaron :Right, so far the majority of the no voters have supplied this thread with holed logic and trolling. How exactly will Steam bring an immature crowed?

It won't. LFS isn't going to appeal to people who enjoy easier, casual racing games. I'm sure that's the case, whether on Steam or not.

There's also a few who seem to hate the idea of having that option open. Which is just stupid. If you'd prefer not to use Steam, you can't really complain as long as you have alternatives.
Quote from FPVaaron :Obviously you have not realized yet the fact that no one here thinks you are amusing in any way shape or form, you are nothing more than an attention seeking immature troll.

Though, in some way I am thankful that you have come here to display your inability to socialize like a civilized human being, now people can see that people like you exist in LFS regardless where or how it is sold.

don't forget to add that the silly little shit hasn't realised that while he's trying to troll me, the rest of the forum is safe.

Quote from lemming77 :Holy **** guys stop bickering. You're like a married couple.

the guy has been reported for trolling and posting spam. this is not the only thread he has trolled in.
-
(dadge) DELETED by dadge
I've cleaned this whole thread from that AMB garbage and I've moved all other posts related to that to the trashbin, to get this thread on track again.
Quote from Psysim :turned off windows updates

These 4 words alone make your opinion completely useless.
Quote from FPVaaron :Or if you have a PC with more than 256mb of ram.

I have more than 256mb of ram, I just don't see the point in wasting any of it on applications I don't want. And well if people are going to complain about a promise (vws) not made to them, why shouldn't a few people be annoyed if the specification of lfs changes? I don't see how turning off windows updates makes my comments usless? maybe you didn't read my posts, I aim for performance, I can update when I want by turning it off.

tbh, this forum can turn in to a tardfest of flamers and trolls easly, and I think steam would perpetuate the situation, I simply don't think steam users are mature enough as a whole to deal with a bunch of senisitve banna burners, cencorship is already too laid back and this could create a mountain for forum mods to deal with.

E.Reiljans, learn why people turn windows updates off before you make a usless comment, and no, its not because of a cracked copy.

If your gonna sell out, in for a penny in for a pound? Do it properly... or don't do it at all!
Quote from Psysim :E.Reiljans, learn why people turn windows updates off before you make a usless comment, and no, its not because of a cracked copy.

Yeah, totally not, not even at all </sarcasm>
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yeah, totally not, not even at all </sarcasm>

I would like to think you have something to back up your insinuation that I am using a cracked copy of windows! Quite frankly, insinuating such a thing is imo simply pathetic, grow up. Your a prime example of the kind of bannana burning ignorance this forums does not need. Your also commenting on something which your knowllage could only be limited as, well lets see....

On demo...
You don't get 32 cars on track
You don't get some 500 physics objects
You only have a very FPS happy blackwoods....

So to be 100% blunt, your comments are totally void until you have seen the effect the above have on your games performance and fps. Really, do some reasearch and stop being a child!
Attached images
lappy4.jpg
Quote from Victor :I've cleaned this whole thread from that AMB garbage and I've moved all other posts related to that to the trashbin, to get this thread on track again.

By what you are doing, this poll is important then to put lfs on steam or not?
Steam is a good thing, why?

Friends system is good, the best there is.
Community at its best, ofcourse there are kids on it.. But hell, like lfsforum doesnt have kids?.
Joining people from your friends list easier than ever.

So, why not?
No...
Quote from Psysim :Your also commenting on something which your knowllage could only be limited as, well lets see....

On demo...
You don't get 32 cars on track
You don't get some 500 physics objects
You only have a very FPS happy blackwoods....

So to be 100% blunt, your comments are totally void until you have seen the effect the above have on your games performance and fps. Really, do some reasearch and stop being a child!

So, should I assume that if I get 400+ fps on BL1 full-grid, then I'll get <1 fps on (any S2 track name here) full grid?

Oh. Right.
And on that bomb shell...

I think you just confirmed you petty stupidity!

From 400 fps on black woods demo could be 200 fps on southcity with 32 cars and a layout. Like I said, you wouldn't know until you have tried it....

A full grid can be a nightmare, 32 cars all in the same place.... what an FPS leach! drawing 32 cars is a little differen to what? 15 is it on demo? I notice the fps drop at a race start.
I know I am very new to this game(well, only been playing regularly a few months), so perhaps in the eyes of established members my opinion may be worthless, but I would strongly approve of this game being sold on Steam.

I will quickly address a couple of points that seem to stem from ignorance of the Steam client, which I have used from the day Half Life 2 was released.

1: Steam Client. Everyone screaming that Steam will hog your resources is just wrong. Steam uses exactly 50Mb of RAM on my machine, and 0%CPU, unless your using Steam store or built in browser. I already use LFS.exe though Steam anyway so I can use the overlay, and notice no performance difference than using the game stand alone. Stop using your pentium III's guys and get with the times. Lets see, unlimited downloads, instant updates and patches, no keeping track of CD-keys, one log in for all games, friends list that works in game with text and voice chat, net browser available in game. Lots of benefits to having it, and no sensible arguments against it.

2: Community. As a long term user of Steam I find it insulting that you think I must be a crasher just because I use Steam client. I belong to community where the average age is over 30, and we don't grief or cause trouble, and when it happens on one of our servers we deal with it fast. LFS crashing issues is down to the the server providers full stop. If as a community your all to lazy to admin your servers, then thats your fault and Steam or no Steam nothing will change unless you want it to. Take a leaf out of Redlines book, clean racing every night, and would be the same if Steam players were on, just by a couple of guys putting some effort in, it doesn't take much.

3: Visibilty. As I play my game though Steam, its icon come up in my friends list, and I have no end of people asking me what it is, because they have never even heard of it. There is likely a large possible audience for this sim there, if only it was looked for. And if they don't stick around, then there is no loss and you back to where you are now, if they do stay, then more racing for us to get every night.
Quote from Psysim :And on that bomb shell...

I think you just confirmed you petty stupidity!

From 400 fps on black woods demo could be 200 fps on southcity with 32 cars and a layout. Like I said, you wouldn't know until you have tried it....

A full grid can be a nightmare, 32 cars all in the same place.... what an FPS leach! drawing 32 cars is a little differen to what? 15 is it on demo? I notice the fps drop at a race start.

Lol, he's right and you're just an idiot. No way in hell would he drop 200 fps, what a stupid comment.. he would lose like 40 at most.. 15 or 32 cars really makes no god damn difference to me. The tracks also make **** all difference, south city is maybe a little more demanding.. that is if you're using a PC from bargin bin in oxfam.

on topic: Haters gonna hate. Steam is great, I notice NO difference in performance when its running or not, and wtf makes you all think that the kids that play CSS are gonna come and play LFS? All of the people I've met via steam from the FPS community's are great anyway. Half of the people bashing steam seem to really have no opinion in the matter anyway, since they're using a PC from the 1950s. who the hell has 256MB ram these days ffs.

/rantover.
Quote from rpmmatt : Stop using your pentium III's guys and get with the times.

That would be an assumption, and a very wrong one at that, if you read, its not about what the pc has, its about not wasting what the pc has, its like turning a light off in a room your not using. As you have said, you can and are using lfs with steam, congrats, hope your happy! I don't feel the rest of us should be FORCED to use it when its obviously avalible as an extra. I can see some advantages to it.... if your into that kind of thing, but if your like me, not into msn, xfire, steam and all the other extras, its just a thorn in your side.

So lets say the poll should of been 'Keep Steam optional' or 'Make steam compulsary'... havin said that, I would still vote with 'optional' rather than compulsary. So lfs works with steam features like overlay, problem solved, steam not required!
in terms of performance hit. if it wasn't for the icon in the task bar, you wouldn't even know it was running.

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG