The online racing simulator
Old S1 revitalised
(279 posts, started )
I don't remember punch cards but do remember loading games from a 5.25" floppy as the computer didn't have a hard drive. I also remember drawing cars with CAD software on computers specially built for CAD applications. They didn't have a mouse (and for those in the know, it was even before the 'pucks'). All it had was an octagonal D-pad of sort to control where the cursor was on screen. I was admittedly pretty young at that stage, though.

Oh, and for once on topic, thank you all for the great memories of the old-days of LFS. It's been a wonderful ride! I still can't get enough after more than 7 years. Great work guys!

Now for S3... (now giddy with excitement just thinking about it)

Edit: Also, Vacuum tubes FTW. Period. Except Abacus.
Tapes... yes... when I first wrote computer programs we only had tapes.

That is, audio cassette tapes with an audio cassette recorder plugged into the computer.

It was really hard trying to get the program back into memory, rewinding many times and adjusting the volume over and over again to try and get the next block of data into memory.

If you cared about a program you would save it once at normal speed and definitely again at slow speed to increase the chances of loading it again.
My first pc was a Sinclair ZX81 - didn't even have tapes.

Didn't get involved with tapes till I bought an Amstrad with built in tape drive, where you didn't have to play with levels.

Ah, the good old days!
haha tapes....remember these too. Completly forgot untill you mentioned them.
Quote from Scawen :Tapes... yes... when I first wrote computer programs we only had tapes.

That is, audio cassette tapes with an audio cassette recorder plugged into the computer.

It was really hard trying to get the program back into memory, rewinding many times and adjusting the volume over and over again to try and get the next block of data into memory.

If you cared about a program you would save it once at normal speed and definitely again at slow speed to increase the chances of loading it again.

Scawen, admit it... you still code LFS to tapes...
my first computer bought for me was the commodore vic 20 or bbc electron,they;ve come a long way since then
Quote from Scawen :Tapes... yes... when I first wrote computer programs we only had tapes.

So you started programming on a spectrum :detective

heh, Im just waiting for someone to start on about cartridges and uber old mainframes and discs the size of dustbin lids

I think what always stands out for me is efficiency in coding of games, looking back through time, some games on systems like the spectrum and c4 amiga etc, were created in such a way they worked around limitations of hardware/pushed the hardware to its limits and beyond.
I still use audio tapes - maybe out with the times ? My Walkman is a tape player, so meh.
Memories, i love them!
physics in this version just sucks I want s3 :arge:

Attached images
mediumTroll.gif
Nice bait.
Luckily you did not have a bad cluster in the middle!
Quote from Udris1992 :physics in this version just sucks I want s3 :arge:

GTFO of the thread then. Use your common sense if you had any
Quote from Udris1992 :physics in this version just sucks I want s3 :arge:

you say the physics suck ,i say it must be your driving that sucks and your looking for an excuse(please dont take this personal i just cant see where the physics are bad enough to say they suck)
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Floppy disk....lol. I cant bealive you stilll have them ))

Omg its quite crazy that Scawen is pulling through such a large project without proper version control systems insane
Quote from ORION :Omg its quite crazy that Scawen is pulling through such a large project without proper version control systems insane

Maybe thats the cause for the lag of releasing S3, scawen just lost Floppy number 35 out of 80 or something similar.

Don´t punch me, okay, I´m just kidding
Quote from Bansky :Maybe thats the cause for the lag of releasing S3, scawen just lost Floppy number 35 out of 80 or something similar.

Don´t punch me, okay, I´m just kidding

He didn't lose it, it was corrupted from sitting too close to a speaker
I have win 7 ultimate and the lfs s1h7 installer is not working... Installer/windows says:... exe is not supported archive
Quote from HawkkaFIN :I have win 7 ultimate and the lfs s1h7 installer is not working... Installer/windows says:... exe is not supported archive

Try do download it again from another source, the file is probably corrupted.
And if that don't work, you can try right clicking the exe file, choosing "Properties" and go to "Compatability". Enable "Run as administrator" and play around with the settings, i.e Windows XP SP2 emulation.
It works perfect in Win7, you don't have to change compatibilty or anything, just re-download it and if it doesn't work then execute as administrator
try downloading with another browser like mozilla,ive got windows 7 but when tried downloading it wouldnt download full file and it said the same
Woo! Great timing, my decent(ish) PC just died but this version runs great on my old calculator

Old S1 revitalised
(279 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG