The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
It might be because it wouldn't be as accurate (just a guess) as to what the driver is actually doing. Replays might be stored as reactive data, whereas LFS replicates inputs and generates an identical physical result to make a replay. That's why LFS's replay viewing is so limited and why there was no proper replay controls built into it from the get-go. Also why there's such a big difference in replay size between the sims.

iRacing probably just figures that instead of hodgepodging the inputs on the replay, might as well just not show them at all. I guess they could choose to store them, but that's more overhead whilst recording and also a much larger file size which is already rather large for long races with a big field. Also even more bandwidth sending everyone else's inputs to your client in realtime.

Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :
I don't know what it is

Perhaps it's due to:
Better (mostly) physics?
More enjoyable sound?
Vastly superior graphics?
Incredible tracks & track surfaces?
Beautifully detailed cars?
Visible, consistent development?
Developers that invite and care about community feedback?

Quote :One question tho. I was driving the MX5 and the Legend Ford, and I had a lot of trouble with the braking. The brakes lock very easily. Is there anywhere I can change the brake force?

As stated, you can change the brake force curve in the options, but if you're unplugging a G25 and replugging in every time you race, make sure you depress all the pedals down once you're in the car, just before you leave the pits. This ensures proper calibration; otherwise you may get the infamous "touch the brake a tiny bit and lock up" phenomenon happening.
Both sims brakes are perfectly fine imo. The only thing that drives me crazy about how you can brake in iR isn't exactly brakes related. The fact that you can set your brakes to 45-55% and use throttle and brake under braking is just laughable.
Quote from UncleBenny :What's wrong with the brakes in iRacing? After switching from LFS to iRacing, the brakes in LFS were one of the things I hated the most about it.

I seem to lock up pretty much every car's brakes pretty much constantly. I've adjusted the pedal sensitivity and tried to alter my driving style but it's infuriating.
I still think that's better than LFS were everyone sets up the brake strength so low that it is physically impossible to lock them up. I did lock them up a lot in iRacing at first too but its just because I was so used to LFS where I'd just slam the brakes to the floor in every braking zone.
I lock up with what I think is pretty realistic frequency in LFS—two to three times per hourlong stint—at least in the GTRs. Enough to occasionally cause early blowouts due to flatspotting. In iR it's almost every goddamn turn.
Take the brick off your foot, or use 5% throttle.
Hmm, not sure what's going on there DWB, I cant remember the last time I locked the brakes in iRacing

I set my brake curve separately for each car and it's fine. I am using the Nixim mod in my pedals though, so i have to give it some serious force to get near to locking up really.
Nixim mod made a huge difference for me in iRacing as well.
A load cell made a world of difference as well. It's so much easier to modulate pressure than it is distance. A day or two on the load cell and I was going in deeper than I ever had, with incredibly predictable lock-up.
Quote from titanLS :A load cell made a world of difference as well. It's so much easier to modulate pressure than it is distance. A day or two on the load cell and I was going in deeper than I ever had, with incredibly predictable lock-up.

I am definitely getting that then. I just find braking VERY difficult in iRacing. I pretty much locks up every corner

by the way, how much are you guys paying for a month?
Another alternative brake mode (if you have a soldering iron handy) is to wire a POT of similar value to the brake POT in parallel and walla you have a knob to adjust max brake pressure. Cheap maybe even free if u have electronic parts laying about and simple solution.

I've done this and generally have it set so that it knocks off the last 5% of brake pressure. That way it will still will lock the wheels (if you don't trail brake or are too aggressive) but will be easier to modulate.

As a quick an dirty temporary solution I've also (G25) just stuck a section of 19mm retic riser under the brake pedal (calibrate it first without it in) this does pretty much the same but doesn't last too long lol
Something that amazes me. In LFS I'm usually racing UK/US servers at 300mS ping 'cause I'm in the southern hemishpere. The lag in LFS is pretty noticable at that level. Playable, but you can't race close or risk killing someone. Cars are warping about, even when going in a straight line, generally pretty awful to play. I accepted this because I was playing people 1/2 a world away and thought this is as good as it gets, just stay safe and race with lots of room.
Sure it's fine if I use an Aussie server, but that's pretty rare to find, pretty much restricted to playing with what's available in LFS, (US/UK/Europe)

Now I have had iRacing for 2 months, (bought all road content now) I can race on US servers still with the same 300mS ping and not notice any warping or any problems racing close. AND I MEAN DAMN CLOSE. I can race up on someones bumper right into corners, side by side everywhere, it's just freaking me out how it's even possible to race this close with 1/3sec difference, the gap between the cars is like inches. I do realise there are AUS servers, but usually they are not in use, this is always on iRacing US servers - it's blowing my mind.

Occasionally I notice someone blink but you can tell it's their end and not any fault of iRacing. Never believed it was possible to race so close with 300mS ping. I swear it's like using 50mS on LFS.

So add better net code to that list?
Quote from JasonJ :So add better net code to that list?

Indeed.

I see people moaning about iRacings netcode, but it's by far the best I've come across. I'm more than happy racing very close to 300ms ping guys. As close as I'd race someone on a LAN.

I've also only ever suffered 3 phantom 4x hits in my entire time at iRacing, and they were all in the same race
Quote from The Moose :Indeed.

I see people moaning about iRacings netcode, but it's by far the best I've come across. I'm more than happy racing very close to 300ms ping guys. As close as I'd race someone on a LAN.

I've also only ever suffered 3 phantom 4x hits in my entire time at iRacing, and they were all in the same race

Actually the first time I tried I had just that. What an awesome first impression.

Top that with a few downsides like price, the content you buy but don't get to use, the price, graphics (seriously, they're not good. I wouldn't complain about it since it's a simulator and it's supposed to be good mainly in other areas but someone had the cheek to mention that.)... Quite simply had there been a demo / trial I could have tried in advance I wouldn't have bought this piece of shit. I'm not saying lfs is in anyway superior (although in my opinion it's by far a better package and the physics don't seem to be so outdated as some of you claim - then again what do I know, I suck at physics.), I'm only saying iRacing shouldn't be worth any money in anyone's opinion.

It's only my opinion that iRacing is the biggest ripoff ever and it's not even a good simulator and a rubbish game and I hate it and I feel cheated by you lot all saying it's awesome which it ****ing isn't.
Quote from hyntty : iRacing is the biggest ripoff ever and it's not even a good simulator and a rubbish game and I hate it and I feel cheated by you lot all saying it's awesome which it ****ing isn't.

Thanks for the laugh.
lol xD
Quote from hyntty :
It's only my opinion that iRacing is the biggest ripoff ever and it's not even a good simulator and a rubbish game and I hate it and I feel cheated by you lot all saying it's awesome which it ****ing isn't.

Like everything in life, not everything is liked by everyone. I'm not sure why you feel cheated though. You could easily have got the sim for a month, tried it and seen what you think, then purchased content as you get used to it and like it more.

Sad you don't like it but to say it's not good is ridiculous.
Stang @ Silverstone International. Pure sex.
Strange. I find that track boring as hell. I prefer the likes of Infineon, Road Atlanta, Laguna, you know, some elevation changes, blind crests etc.
Silverstone still has no 2010-spec track in iR?
Are you going to pay them to scan a half built track?
Quote from JasonJ :Strange. I find that track boring as hell. I prefer the likes of Infineon, Road Atlanta, Laguna, you know, some elevation changes, blind crests etc.

I hate Road Atlanta but I agree on the others. Silverstone is a good track but, I just couldn't get my act together and go real fast. I only managed a 1:33.6 as my fastest. Miraculously I'm still leading the championship. I don't have Spa or New Hampshire so I'll be dropping down the order over the next two weeks.
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Silverstone still has no 2010-spec track in iR?

track still isn't complete, same as lime rock, until the track side objects have all been completed it's not worth them going back, the only reason daytona is getting a rescan this year is because everything's finished
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Stang @ Silverstone International. Pure sex.

+1, had 2 super exciting races there in top 5, this track doesn't get any better.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG