The online racing simulator
Old S1 revitalised
(279 posts, started )
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Is there anyway I can get my clutch pedal to work? In the options, LFS recognizes my G25 and I can see a clutch axi's, but I can't seem to enable/configure it.

Is it even possible?

it works for me too, but it isn't really needed. I think you can turn off Autoblip in upshifts and downshifts in the Driver options (or is it control options?)
For me clutch works fine, it just didn't move any bar when I pressed the clutch in options, but in-game works.
Quote from nesrulz :But well, this is the positive side of "A blast from the past"...

This serves to make people see what the changes since then (from 2005.) so far been done with the tires and a full physics.

In translation - we will be rewarded for waiting. Hopefully...

very true,i couldnt have said it better myself
Quote from Flame CZE :God, this is hilarious Can you tell me how to do it?

Sure, in fact I'll probably do a tutorial for both glitches...
Launch Glitch:
1. This step should be easier in South City Long Reverse, park at the end of the straight.

2. Place a start arrow in front of the wall

3. Use TV view to check your car's surroundings. When the view automatically changes to a chase view the car starts to skid - this is normal and the audio can be very loud so it's best to mute it

4. The car will go through the road, this is normal.

5. When the car emerges, the nose will raise

6. After 200mph, the car will flip (this is the fastest I got :razz

7. The car will start to bounce everywhere, try steering the car to steer the car's bounce

Floating car glitch:
1. This should be easier with South City Long Forward. Park at the end of the motorway like this and place a start arrow in front of the tyre wall

2. Again, use TV view. When the view automatically turns into a chase view you will start to float BUT traction is very low so it is very hard to control the car! Once again, there will be very loud skid/screeching sounds so mute the audio!

3. To prevent spinning out, stay in 2nd gear and keep below 10mph

4. If you go too fast you will spin out!

5. If you want to land, choose either of the 2 end roads.

6. With some careful control, you will land succesfully. Try not to miss the road!
The 2nd video was awesome too!

WOuld have been hilarious if the car would have dropped down on the road and started bouncing around, while screaming "OMG ZOOM INCOMING CARPLANE!"

Waste of S3 development time.
Quote from BlackbirdCaD :Waste of S3 development time.

+ waste of time posting about the waste of S3 development time. Don't moaners have anything else to do other than just going on about S3, S3, S3?

I like S1, but I had no idea the FXO could actually understeer with torque love it even more now!
Quote from BlackbirdCaD :Waste of S3 development time.

Yeah, 30 minutes of S3 development is such a huge deal</sarcasm>
Well, I believe that Scawen can change IP adress and remove code that was taking care of the credits thing in much less time than that(I´m amateur developer myself so I asume that it was done in 10 minutes or less depending on game engine)
Programming the updates was very easy and quick... although in one of the test versions I still managed to do a bug in the credits removal, because I missed something, thinking it was even simpler than it was.

The master server thing and the unlocking were copied over from the most recent version of LFS. The updated functions were made to work with a few adjustments.

What did take a couple of hours was - searching backup CDs to find the right source code and making various changes to get it to compile. Unfortunately there wasn't a complete backup all in one piece and ready to go - it was kind of spread around a bit. At one point I needed the vehicle files so I could compile a dedicated server version. For some reason they were even harder to find and eventually I found them on a floppy disk.

So I learned a lesson about backups - make complete and clean backups of critical versions, with all source code and data in one place, ready to be compiled and run at any time. Though I guess there is a more complete version in one of my off-site backups, because I do try to make sure that we don't go back too far even if my house burns down.
Floppy disk....lol. I cant bealive you stilll have them ))
Quote from Scawen :At one point I needed the vehicle files so I could compile a dedicated server version. For some reason they were even harder to find and eventually I found them on a floppy disk.

Wow, old school!!
Yes, that disc was from December 2003 when I still used floppies.

Luckily my old computer has a floppy drive.
You are lucky the floppy still worked. I dont have very good experience with floppy lasting long time.
Agreed. Most of my floppies don't work anymore.
Yeah, I just use them to look at the sun when there is an eclipse
"Mmm" S1 portable floppy edition

Back to the credits thing though, I really miss that,I really felt it helped with the learning curve, they way it shaped the servers and grouped the community as it developed.
The birth of servers where you have to earn credits via insim, has filled that void mostly, but I do miss My LFS Credits.
That that credit system could be used for many different things.

But how could this be done without affecting players ability to use the car they want?
Maybe this credit system could be used as game mode?
All cars locked. Earn credits in races to unlock *RPG mode*
call cars unlocked no credits earned for wins *Normal mode*

I dunno, just some random thoughts.
Sorry to go off topic a little, but I do miss the LFS Credit system.
And if I can be honest, you should never have removed it.

Please be gentle.
:hidesbehi

*older thread* that maybe this discussion about credit should continue on.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 4251&highlight=credit
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :But how could this be done without affecting players ability to use the car they want?
Maybe this credit system could be used as game mode?
All cars locked. Earn credits in races to unlock *RPG mode*
call cars unlocked no credits earned for wins *Normal mode*

Love that idea

I wasn't around S1 times to see the credits-stuff in use. Could you join a server with, say all cars enabled - but you didn't have enough credits to drive (unlock?) all of them? Or was there a restriction against connecting to a server where it had cars that you haven't earned credits yet?

Now, if such a system was brought in again - could the servers be separated so that anyone could join to servers whilst on *Normal mode*, but only people who have earned the credits could join the *RPG mode/Elite mode*?

I think it was suggested already to make passing the "Training" compulsory before joining MP - but it might put off a lot of people.

What if there was a host check to only allow people with enough credits (as above) or those who have passed training to connect?

Would that help to tidy up the public racing servers - to bring old folk but not forcing a compulsory credit/training check on the new ones?
You could join servers that had any car, but only use what you had credits for. I remember going online in S1 ages ago, trying to persuade people to try S2 xD.
Bad teacher
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Didn't you do maths in School? S1+S2=2S3

I think you didn't do maths either.
1S + 2S = 3S
S = variable
1 and 2 are integers (constant)
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Floppy disk....lol. I cant bealive you stilll have them ))

I still have a floppy version of Win 95 rev A. All 14 or so floppies. I may even have a game or two from my Tandy...

Heh - old times. Good times.
Its actually called a diskette (3.5 inch)... Floppy is much older (5.25 inch and bigger).
Tape drive or gtfo
Punched cards > tape drives.
Quote from Afterburn :I still have a floppy version of Win 95 rev A. All 14 or so floppies. I may even have a game or two from my Tandy...

Heh - old times. Good times.

I remember those times when I brought from my friend 10 or 10+ floppy version of some games and 1 or more had error. I was so made and it was happening quite often. We had to later pack every game in zip/rar. Funny times but the games were much more enjoyable, all the time new ideas and they lasted for ages. Not those 4 hour crap nowdays.

I remember also 8 inch one. We had these in school when I did not have my first computer yet.

Quote from cargame.nl :Its actually called a diskette (3.5 inch)... Floppy is much older (5.25 inch and bigger).

3.5 inch have been callled floppy as well but people started using more diskette. That`s why...
-
(DEVIL 007) DELETED by DEVIL 007 : double post

Old S1 revitalised
(279 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG