The online racing simulator
NASCAR The Game 2011
(238 posts, started )
I will agree that it does look a little arcadish, but I think they feel that this is required in order to make it acceptable to the general audiance of game players.

Smoke needs a little heavyer to make it realistic.

I think that game trailers are designed to make who ever is playing look awesome... I've never seen the game character die in a game play trailer or anything like that, and I've never figured out why.
The physics seemede odd to me, but I guess it was played with keyboard?
Also, when hit other cars, wouldn't it natually cause the nascar to spin / slide / look like it tok a hit? Here it seems it's just a matter of plowing you through the field without beeing caution.
For reference guys, a NASCAR Car is a Stock Car, not a NASCAR lol . Common mistake

That aside, I do beleive that the crash physics could use a little work.
I just wrote it more simple, I know they are stock cars. Different names ,same thing.. .aye?
#130 - Uke
Quote from DevilDare :Yes, quite.

1) Graphics. - Yes, they do matter. Albeit it doesnt make a game good, it certainly does help it on its way to being one.

2) HUD. Really? Do I need to comment on this? Looks like something from childrens TV.

3) Cartoonish/Arcadeish. Drafting points. Passing points. Rivals? Freaking wind trails when slipstreaming? I mean come on....

4) Damage. OK. Damage actually looks good from what we have seen.

5) Smoke. Yeah, again, a minor detail. But having been fed some amazing smoke effects even from games that have nothing to do with racing, you would expect something more.

6) AI. Now this is what confuses me. All this talk of great AI and stuff, but so far from the videos I have seen the player just seems to dive past them without a struggle most of the time.

Yes I know a lot of features are yet to be showcased and so on. But judging from the videos/screenshots released, it is more than fair to compare it to Shift or similar games.

(Notice: All the things I have listed are also in Shift. I know. Dont bother stating that. Thats the whole reason for my comparison)

Some people like arcadish gameplay. And I love NFS, well shift was bad tho.
Quote from DevilDare :2) HUD. Really? Do I need to comment on this? Looks like something from childrens TV.

3) Cartoonish/Arcadeish. Drafting points. Passing points. Rivals? Freaking wind trails when slipstreaming? I mean come on....

I hate to break it to you, but many gamers need to do more than just drive in order to have fun. They need more going on. If you're not that big into racing lines, lap times, etc, you need something to give you the kick and make it fun. While clearly not for the sim racing purist, I think you can turn them all of if you don't want them.

Quote from DevilDare :6) AI. Now this is what confuses me. All this talk of great AI and stuff, but so far from the videos I have seen the player just seems to dive past them without a struggle most of the time.

Two things here:
* The AI are likely set at an easy difficulty in the videos
* There have been recurring issues with the AI speed. They've been faster in the past than they are now, I have bugs to get their speed back (presumably related to them not coping with the changes and improvements to the vehicle physics). That said, since the restrictor plate tracks are so simple to drive (brick throttle and steer where required), they are already really tough to catch up there, particularly when they start drafting one another.
Quote from z-ro 8 :LFS is a European based sim, so no you won't get NASCAR related stuff here.
Try rFactor, NR2003 or iRacing.
Asking for American stock car racing here is pointless.
The devs are smarter than That.

Yes,Europeans are stupid and we dont know anything about it ..u know what is F1?
Quote from z-ro 8 :LFS is a European based sim, so no you won't get NASCAR related stuff here.

LFS has a oval track and will (any when) even get a second oval with rockingham. Scawen said Eric is working (ROFL) on S3 content. So MAYBE LFS will get a proper car for these ovals
I'll be number 4 for an autographed copy Bob

On a serious note I think that this may actually surpass NR2003 in terms of realism. If you can answer this is it going to have a physics set for gamepad users which makes it really easy and then one for wheel users which turns all the crap off and makes it into a full on sim (ala NR2003) Would be nice for it to be quite challenging. Most games now a days seem dumbed down for the masses. I enjoyed super car challenge. Zonda in rain = FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *Crash*. Oh and that note is their weather? Nascar in rain with crashes would = win.
We wanted to add rain but because the real series never runs in the rain, we are not including it.

The only difference for gampad players is that there is a steering aid forced on. All the aids available in the menus are toggleable, and available for both wheel and gamepad. The only aids forced on (for all controller types) are auto-clutch, throttle cut on upshift, and throttle blip on downshift. Hopefully these too will become toggleable with future titles although more work is needed on the transmission model first, and a decision on how to handle stalling.
Quote from sjava :Yes,Europeans are stupid and we dont know anything about it ..u know what is F1?

lol, I my self have never heard of it

F1 is as popular in America as NASCAR is in Europe. It's just a large contrast in style that's hard to gap.

F1 could bost popularity in America by racing on the Daytona oval track... American's would come to watch that

Entirely different disipline of racing, and I'm not saying that one or another is better, but I will say as a fan it is hard to adjust.

LFS will never support a non-wide open oval track. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Sorry that was propbably well off topic.
Quote from Bob Smith :We wanted to add rain but because the real series never runs in the rain, we are not including it.

The only difference for gampad players is that there is a steering aid forced on. All the aids available in the menus are toggleable, and available for both wheel and gamepad. The only aids forced on (for all controller types) are auto-clutch, throttle cut on upshift, and throttle blip on downshift. Hopefully these too will become toggleable with future titles although more work is needed on the transmission model first, and a decision on how to handle stalling.

thanks for the info. btw if you crash and say lose a wheel can you try to carry on? Just for the lol of it rather than it taking control from you.
Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but NASCAR does have provisions to carry on in Road courses with wet weather. They are permitted to fit a windshield wiper and such a la Montreal a few years ago. Wouldn't that be enough reason to add rain?
Dustin - is that for the sprint cup though, or one of the other tiers?

Luke - control doesn't get taken from you no matter how damaged your wheels are or what state your tyres are in.
Quote from Bob Smith :Dustin - is that for the sprint cup though, or one of the other tiers?

Its for Nationwide Series. I haven't followed the game much, but when looking on VirtualR for other things, i stumbled acorss a article on it and confirmed drivers. And with Danica being one, im assuming Nationwide Series is in the game.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :And with Danica being one, im assuming Nationwide Series is in the game.

You assume incorrectly. Not all the drivers from the sprint cup will be featured in the game, so drivers from other series were brought in to make up the numbers.

NTG2011 covers the sprint cup only.
Quote from Bob Smith :We wanted to add rain but because the real series never runs in the rain, we are not including it.

Ahem.

Montreal!

EDIT: Cup series ran at Suzuka in 1997 in the rain, 2001 All-Star race segment in rain. There!
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Ahem.

Montreal!

Different series, doesn't count.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :EDIT: Cup series ran at Suzuka in 1997 in the rain

Good spot, but that event was not during the race season, which is what this game is covering.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :, 2001 All-Star race segment in rain. There!

It would seem rain started just as the race did, they found the cars couldn't cope, and the race was stopped as soon as the rain got heavy (still during the first lap!). Close, but not quite wet racing.
It was Nationwide that ran in the rain, but the Cup cars also have the ability to run in rain on road courses as well. Some sessions at Watkins Glen have been ran in the rain as well. It should happen more though!
Quote from Bob Smith :
It would seem rain started just as the race did, they found the cars couldn't cope, and the race was stopped as soon as the rain got heavy (still during the first lap!). Close, but not quite wet racing.

Nope, they ran at speed IIRC
Also, Pocono 1991, Bristol 1990, both ran in rain. Texas Busch 2002

1989, N Carolina, started on a damp track/ran at race speeds :P That WAS racing
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Nope, they ran at speed IIRC

Yes, either into the walls or other cars. Hence the red flag. See: 1 2

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Texas Busch 2002

Once again, wrong series, although I admire your perseverance.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Also, Pocono 1991, Bristol 1990, both ran in rain.
1989, N Carolina, started on a damp track/ran at race speeds :P That WAS racing

I'm losing interest know so won't spend the time researching those, but I'll just say, I'm not sure how relevant some on track precipitation two decades is to a modern game. In any case, you're not getting rain, like it or lump it.
Psst Bob is Weather going to be DLC? xD Or will we see it in Nascar before we do in LFS?
Quote from AstroBoy :Or will we see it in Nascar before we do in LFS?

Now there's a question.
Damn you for giving an reply that only makes more questions that answers.. damn you
Yeah, the Sprint Cup Series is currently not going to run in the rain on any kind of course due to the COT. The old car they deemed capable, but this new one (and after the disterous race in the Nationwide Series in Monteral) they are not even making rain racing an option in the Sprint Cup. I need to find a link to that tiny piece of old news for you guys.

Nope can't find it, but I know that the VP or DoC has came out and said that rain tires will not be made to be placed on Sprint Cup cars.

NASCAR The Game 2011
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG