The online racing simulator
NASCAR The Game 2011
(238 posts, started )
From what I have understood, NASCAR sells the official lic. to make a NASCAR video game every year following 2010 since this was the year that EA's 10 year lic. ran out on them. GT5 out bid this apparently this year and therefor the 2011 NASCAR officialy lic. game is GT5. The 2012 NASCAR game will be interesting to see since it will likely be the first NASCAR only game not done by EA in quite some time.

I've not heard anything as far as any other offical 2011 game other than GT, but I've heard a rumor or 2 about ESPN... NASCAR 2k11 lol
Quote from Bob Smith :I too put the same concern to him and he came up with some good reasons.

* A real driver is used to all the physical forces acting on them and, consciously or not, these are influencing how they drive. This is why it can be harder for a real driver to transition to sims than vice versa, as they are losing sensory inputs instead rather than gaining them.
* NASCAR are big on entertainment, one aspect being lots of cameras mounted on cars. You can compare what the driver is doing with the wheel and pedals compared to driving in the sim. In fact he has been quite critical of iRacing in places, which has surprised me.
* He's chatted with drivers too and can compare the techniques he's using at a track with what they do. He's also worked out the general setup of a car from watching it go round the track and confirmed this with the teams. Clearly his attention to detail is excellent.
* On the assumption that iRacing has got some aspects right, he can compare how adjusting something in that sim affects the car in a different way to our sim, and we can think about why and if we want to do anything about it.

We have tuned to the tyre slip to get the car to yaw in a way that matches telemetry data, and then he mentions the same figure for tyre slip, is very encouraging. He's honest too, if I ask a question he doesn't know, he'll outright admit so. This gives me confidence to trust what he's saying. Plus he really likes my new force feedback system which cheers me greatly, although I suppose thanks should go to Todd Wasson for conveniently explaining how it all works on this forum some time ago.

Richard is a great person to talk to when it comes to car physics in a sim. He's super honest and trustworthy when asking him questions (and tips for setups :razz.

Good choice.
This is turning out quite interesting. I would only hope the game would be released for PC
Quote from Cornys :GT5 out bid this apparently this year and therefor the 2011 NASCAR officialy lic. game is GT5.

Incorrect. After EA's performance, NASCAR are no longer doing exclusive licences. GT5 has a licence for the sprint cup car, as has iRacing. Only Eutechnyx has a licence for the whole series, the drivers, the tracks, etc. There's no outbidding going on.

Quote from Cornys :The 2012 NASCAR game will be interesting to see since it will likely be the first NASCAR only game not done by EA in quite some time.

You only need to wait until February for that. Eutechnyx have the licence for a few years so you'll very likely be seeing more NASCAR titles from us in the future too.

Quote from The Very End :This is turning out quite interesting. I would only hope the game would be released for PC

If enough people keep asking for a PC release, it might improve the chances of the next title being release on PC too.
You saying from "us", then I am wondering, is this something you are working on? You might have told that on a earlier point but I have not done my homework and search sorry
Yes, I am the vehicle dynamics programmer at Eutechnyx, so the physics of the sprint cup car in NTG2011 is largely down to me, although I'm not doing much of the fine tuning on the track specific default setups (that's very time consuming and I've plenty of other things to be doing).

I've also helped tie the car tuning interface into the real physics (so it works as well as being pretty), and worked on the low level AI (that is, how the AI drives the cars). We have a dedicated AI programmer for the high level AI (that being where the AI wants to go, which is way more involved than you would have thought).
isnt this made by people who made ferrari challenge on ps3? that was such an awful game i cant describe how much i wanted to smash my ps3 up when i played it
Yes, it's the same company and the development team shares many of the same people that worked on Ferrari (and Supercars).

Hopefully whatever you thought was awful in Ferrari will be absent or improved in this game.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, it's the same company and the development team shares many of the same people that worked on Ferrari (and Supercars).

Hopefully whatever you thought was awful in Ferrari will be absent or improved in this game.

it wasnt the game overall it was just i personally think unplayable with a gamepad because of the way the cars moved around under braking and accelerating was as if it was a full on sim made for wheel users
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, I am the vehicle dynamics programmer at Eutechnyx, so the physics of the sprint cup car in NTG2011 is largely down to me, although I'm not doing much of the fine tuning on the track specific default setups (that's very time consuming and I've plenty of other things to be doing).

I've also helped tie the car tuning interface into the real physics (so it works as well as being pretty), and worked on the low level AI (that is, how the AI drives the cars). We have a dedicated AI programmer for the high level AI (that being where the AI wants to go, which is way more involved than you would have thought).

So then I am allowed to ask you a open question?
How do you try to get this game behaving? Will it be a SIM, or a pick-up fun arcade game?
Oh and btw, either of the cathergories I would love

And, then I know who I can whine to if the physics is ass
I actually thought FC was a pretty decent little game, sure it had some issues, but it was far from awful.
Quote from Bob Smith :Incorrect. After EA's performance, NASCAR are no longer doing exclusive licences. GT5 has a licence for the sprint cup car, as has iRacing. Only Eutechnyx has a licence for the whole series, the drivers, the tracks, etc. There's no outbidding going on.

You only need to wait until February for that. Eutechnyx have the licence for a few years so you'll very likely be seeing more NASCAR titles from us in the future too.

Guess I've been out of the loop as far as NASCAR Game Lic. goes, but I knew as of last year that was where it stood. I'll probably look into buying the new one if it comes out on PS2. (What's the chances of that happening?)
OMG Bob said US. You've suddenly got me looking forward to it. Now aslong as the Online side is up to scratch and you can run a full grid i am so down for this game like a fat man at krispy kream xD
Quote from trebor901 :because of the way the cars moved around under braking and accelerating was as if it was a full on sim made for wheel users

Yes, Ferrari Challenge (and Supercars, which shared the same engine) were sims in nature, although not to the detail I've achieved with NTG2011. Look at it this way; the Ferrari engine was the state of the vehicle physics when I joined the company... what do you think I've been doing the past 3 years?

Quote from The Very End :So then I am allowed to ask you a open question?
How do you try to get this game behaving? Will it be a SIM, or a pick-up fun arcade game?

Answered above really, but this is really quite a sim orientated game, with stuff layered on top to appeal to the casual racer. There are assists you can turn on which clearly absent on the real sprint cup cars, but with the exception of the steering assists (pretty essential for driving with a pad), they are assists that exist on real cars.

Quote from Cornys :What's the chances of that happening?

PS2? Not a chance. We're pushing hard just to get the framerates we want on PS3. For Wii, the game is obviously cut down. IIRC, when the Wii team first got the game running with all 43 cars, they were obviously very pleased (memory in particular is really tight), but no amount of optimisation will get you from 4 fps up to 30. You've just got to remove things compared to the big consoles. Of course, gamers expect this, but importantly you'll still find all 43 cars in game on Wii.

Quote from AstroBoy :OMG Bob said US. You've suddenly got me looking forward to it.

Excellent. This will be the first title out with my name on it and my vehicle physics, so I'm obviously hoping it blows the company's past titles out of the water and puts our name on the map a bit more.

Quote from AstroBoy :Now aslong as the Online side is up to scratch

We've developed an entirely new online multiplayer physics system for dealing with remote cars and their interactions. At the very least, it should be a good improvement over Ferrari/Supercars.

Quote from AstroBoy :you can run a full grid

Single player, yes (43 car races). Multiplayer, no. Not certain what limit we're going with but the upload bandwidth of typical users Internet connections has to be considered for a P2P network. I think the console manufacturers give a limit to the upload developers can use on a system, and things like voice comms eat into that. I believe the new multiplayer system uses less bandwidth than before, so there is more potential in the system.

You can find a lot on questions and answers over on the Eutechnyx forums. I can't talk as frankly there as I show as staff so all responses have to be very considered for company image and so forth, and I can't go into much detail on this forum either because there's still the NDA in my contract.
-
Writing A Novel (Cornys) DELETED by Cornys
Yeah, I was afraid so.. oh well, I might go out and buy a PS3 some day

One quick question, will all of the tracks be there?

I know that a few of the games that had 43 cars and were pushing it to get there and had to remove a few of the tracks to get there for what ever reason (NASCAR Sim Racing to name one (Pocono)).
Everything from the 2010 season is included upon release. There will be a pack you can download after release that will have 2011 content (including Kentucky). Source: Some developer video posted a few posts above.

I'll most likely buy this game just to support it (I've never done that in my life so be thankful ), as I see you guys are working hard to achieve a proper NASCAR game for consoles (which hasn't happened in over 5 years).
I want an autographed one Bob
Already seen that one, Bob. It's looking quite amazing
#122 - Uke
AND It's not coming out for PC It's NOT coming out for PC. It's NOT coming out for PC. It's not coming out for PC :grumpy:
I love how everyone cries at how bad NFS titles are, but seem to adore this, when really at the moment it looks much worse than "Shift" or similar titles in just about everyway. Obviously cant commentate on physics, but I doubt it will be much "realistic" than that of Shift or such.
Quote from DevilDare :I love how everyone cries at how bad NFS titles are, but seem to adore this, when really at the moment it looks much worse than "Shift" or similar titles in just about everyway. Obviously cant commentate on physics, but I doubt it will be much "realistic" than that of Shift or such.

And what are you basing this off? Looking at the graphics? Cause if thats all then thats terrible thing to base the game off. GRAPHICS DONT MAKE A GAME!!!!! Minecraft LFS Plants vs Zombies ect. They dont have all super realistic graphics but they are great to play.

Your sir are a idiot for comparing it to NFS period.
Yes, quite.

1) Graphics. - Yes, they do matter. Albeit it doesnt make a game good, it certainly does help it on its way to being one.

2) HUD. Really? Do I need to comment on this? Looks like something from childrens TV.

3) Cartoonish/Arcadeish. Drafting points. Passing points. Rivals? Freaking wind trails when slipstreaming? I mean come on....

4) Damage. OK. Damage actually looks good from what we have seen.

5) Smoke. Yeah, again, a minor detail. But having been fed some amazing smoke effects even from games that have nothing to do with racing, you would expect something more.

6) AI. Now this is what confuses me. All this talk of great AI and stuff, but so far from the videos I have seen the player just seems to dive past them without a struggle most of the time.

Yes I know a lot of features are yet to be showcased and so on. But judging from the videos/screenshots released, it is more than fair to compare it to Shift or similar games.

(Notice: All the things I have listed are also in Shift. I know. Dont bother stating that. Thats the whole reason for my comparison)

NASCAR The Game 2011
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG