The online racing simulator
I miss...
  • Famous names from the early years of the game. Somewhere in my mind I have vague, hazy, fond memories from 2003 - 2007 of racing against famous or distinctive liveries of the likes of DSRC, Afri-Cola, and those guys in red with "Plantronics" across the rear bumper whose name I can't remember. Not to mention of course, what I think of as the "classic" big teams that dominated early seasons of MoE.
  • Hard to put a finger on, but I just recall a feeling of community on the track back in the early days. LFS was something different, and great, and most of all it was new to everyone. People were still learning things, finding new ways of having fun, distinctive new teams getting created, new leagues being started every week, etc. There was a camaraderie and enthusiasm on the track that had long gone by the time I gave up waiting on LFS and retired my wheel to the cupboard last year.
  • Active development. When the game was new and relatively basic in many areas, development was quick with significant results. I know it's the law of diminishing returns - the more sophisticated it gets, the more and more work is required to implement the slightest changes to the required standard - but I always felt an anticipation of where LFS would be headed, and what would be added to it.
  • As much as I enjoyed driving in the CTRA, with hindsight I have a certain fondness for the pre-CTRA days. It seems a strange thought now with all the insim programs, points scoring systems, controlled cruise servers etc, that at one time all we had, and all we needed... was just a plain old LFS server.
STCC! That was the bomb, the original TBO STCC server running short track sprint races, no better way to spend every night of the week.

Also, the original Caribbean Cruise with Razvan, Jason and the likes - much better than the new fangled insim with a million different features and confusing commands. It was good when you had to type !cash to see how much money you had!
for some reason i just thought id check up on lfs today to see if there were any developments. sadly, no. so then i came on here and saw this thread. god its been a long time since i last played. sounds like a LOT has changed.

mcintyrej do you remember me from CC?
Quote from th84 :I miss KiDCoDEa.

I miss him too
He was the greatest

I prefer to think he reincarnated as some cool indonesian kid
stuffing about with the Turboholics crew. Sten, Lame Jane, Crazy doc etc...many many good times.
Quote from A M R :for some reason i just thought id check up on lfs today to see if there were any developments. sadly, no. so then i came on here and saw this thread. god its been a long time since i last played. sounds like a LOT has changed.

mcintyrej do you remember me from CC?

I do recognise your name yeah, you were a fellow Cop IIRC?
I miss the times when scawen was posting on the forums.
Quote from robt :stock cup

Found some videos of it, they were kindly made by DrDink iirc. I loved running that series, every race was something different.
I have an extensive archive of all CRC activities.

It's such a shame that as we grew and changed the ways we raced, the simulator we were using did not.

Videos: http://www.livevideo.com/user/ ... 596EF7A&plt=1&p=1

Final standings attached for gAg, 08 champion. Big names in there, even Bob Smith.
Attached images
converseposter4pp.jpg
drpepper.jpg
robgag4.png
Attached files
r6results.pdf - 42.3 KB - 291 views
Lerts. Crispy bike anyone?
Quote from mcintyrej :I do recognise your name yeah, you were a fellow Cop IIRC?

yes i was a cop. probably the best cop there was

is anyone else still playing? what happened to raz and the rest of the crew?
Quote from A M R :yes i was a cop. probably the best cop there was

is anyone else still playing? what happened to raz and the rest of the crew?

No idea, not really been on since it changed from Fern Bay to be honest! It'll never be the same.
Quote from three_jump :Biggie, Orion, Fordman, Bikes, ska69, giannic, tristancliffe, nikimere to name a few.
Most of the old folks that have disappeared over the years.

trust me, most of those guys are still dropping by every now and then

but how could you forget tinyk :P cookies for the rescue!

and what about devil 007 and arrechee, the keyboards gods (who never managerd to keep up with me though... lol just kidding )

and i also miss making something cool with vic, like lfsworld

lfs skins anyone?
Happened to venture in to your ZT gallery again Orion.. many fond memories of endless photoshopping sessions making LFS screenshots look pretty. Thanks for keeping them all online.
Quote from MR_B :Found some videos of it, they were kindly made by DrDink iirc. I loved running that series, every race was something different.
I have an extensive archive of all CRC activities.

It's such a shame that as we grew and changed the ways we raced, the simulator we were using did not.

Videos: http://www.livevideo.com/user/ ... 596EF7A&plt=1&p=1

Final standings attached for gAg, 08 champion. Big names in there, even Bob Smith.

2008 is a bit past my time. 2006 is the season of choice (cause I could have won!)
Nostalgic memories coming back. No one would remember me I was never a competitive racer. I decided just today to check the good ole LFs site to see if S3 ever did get released. It really saddens me to see LFS does not appear to be moving forward. I grew up with this game. Pre S1 drifting the GTT around old blackwood was my favorite. Drags down the back strip....dial up internet lol.

When I logged on to say hello my user CP said I had not logged since feb 2008 It has been forever since I have actually raced, my g25 is collecting dust. Every once in a while I get the urge, but it never feels the same.

I remember some names mentioned in this thread, I was never much of a poster but I lurked a lot. I am sure if S3 ever comes out i will donate my money to the cause and jump back in to see if I can be revived.

For now I have to many real life toys to tune and play with. I hope this game makes a comeback, it truly is a great racing sim.

Rob
Quote from Matrixi :Happened to venture in to your ZT gallery again Orion.. many fond memories of endless photoshopping sessions making LFS screenshots look pretty. Thanks for keeping them all online.

Oh, there was one pic from me I didn't even remember anymore

I miss mostly the way I used to play an hour or so almost every day, TBO on SO1/FE green... I was in my teens back then, so it left me very good memories of a "time when everything was easier and simpler". My friend JetroPag (if someone remembers him as well) was even a bigger fanatic, he had more time to set up the car etc. I just picked his setups

I just came across a version 0.1M on an old backup cd, I should test that one out

Edit: I still can't believe I have one of the oldest join dates in this thread
I miss the good old s1 days, like driving 24h in a row having fun and talking in ts, something we lost a bit when s2 came out. Also i miss Cyber Racing, sracer,misko,prophet,casper,blackman,rumiko,csimpok,scipy,owl,holycow,moby,norbi, biernot,and1.... and all the others. i played with alot of people but you guys are the ones i miss. i remember once in some MoE race we were leading and told casper to slow down and he beated the track wr 5 times in 20 laps after that.lol. i still have contact with most of the old players, they still drive in other games.
Updates! This is the first time in ages I've come onto the forum. I used to race alot in the 0.1a alpha days - I was still in school then. Things were always moving, as has been said there was a respect out on track.

I was never competitive, but put in hours around blackwood and frequented the drift servers from time to time. At the moment I don't have time or the place to play, but I've dusted down my old ACT Labs setup for the day S3 gets released, should it ever come.
I also miss CTRA the most and some of my team mates from 2006/2007. Had lots of fun that times...
Absolutely nothing, come to think of it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :[noobs] - Arseholes every last one of them

Indeed.
Quote from DratsaB :The CRC (Clean Racers Club) was good.

Yeah, CRC was nice to have when you were looking for arseholes and didn't find enough of them in the [noobs] forum.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG