The online racing simulator
BP oil catastrophe - horrifying pictures
(171 posts, started )
Im just curious have they actually figured out how to stop the leak yet?
I'm really not familiar with chemistry around oil and stuff, so forgive for a stupid question maybe, but will this retrieved oil be usable now that it's been in the water? How much will they retrieve actually, this thing is gushing for a month (or two?) now.. i mean, how much money are we talking about here..
Wait... it was STILL leaking!!!! /sarcasm

In all seriousness, glad it is finally stopped and yes people who were not directly-effected will likely forget about it soon. Most of them will be the same idiots who made wild claims how BP should be boycotted and left to drain. Hopefully (although unlikely) man-kind as a whole will walk away with more care towards our planet.
THEY DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They finally put a stop to it
And it only took them 4 moths!

Rejoice!
Quote from DevilDare :And it only took them 4 moths!

Rejoice!

And this is the part that still worries me. It took the modern world with all the technology available four months to fix this.
Early days yet lads.

Rejoice!

It was less than 3 months. Not saying that makes things much better, but things happen.

Rejoice!

Wow just 4 moths? I thought they used some giant concrete things? Not some fluttery butterfly looking things :P
It's actually pretty hard to place a cap on an oil-well that's 18 inches in diameter and a mile underwater. Of course this is only temporary, we'll see how the relief well pans out.
Lets make sure they're safe this time. Just because one oil rig blows up due to lax safety standards dosen't mean all oil rigs are guarenteed to do the same, but at the same time oil exploration can never be 100% safe. If you want to be able to use your computer or keep up your current lifestyle until alternative energy sources are fully developed then there has to be oil rigs, sorry.

Of course now the general public are under the impression that even well managed oil wells are ticking time bombs, cue a 3 month guilt trip over using oil and after that everybody will be back to their ignorant selves again until the next media scare story comes along.
You didn't get what i was trying to say i guess. I tried to say that this seems like a huge natural disaster to me, not like they describe it in the article above. But we are so quick with making things look smaller than they are...

So it's like we spill one drop of oil into a large olympic swimming pool. Isn't that quite a lot, considered the fact we did it before, and considered the fact we'll do it again... and well, we only have one swimming pool right, with no option to put in "new" water once the old water is all dirty and toxic?

It's not that bad, right...
Considering all the lies and focus on ' Financial implications ' rather than actual implications then this story has oddly enough escaped the mainstream news ( Propoganda services )

"...we have dolphins that are hemorrhaging. People who work near it are hemorrhaging internally. And that’s what dispersants are supposed to do...

"Coughing up blood is among horrors that eyewitnesses are reporting in south Louisiana where BP medics diagnose the sudden widespread, burning, itching skin, lesions and marks as "scabies" or staph and government health focus on "stress" and mental condition of millions of people poisoned with what scientists report is 11 times more lethal than crude oil toxins now in Gulf and coastal water and air. Americans are still encouraged to eat Gulf seafood."

http://www.examiner.com/x-1043 ... ewitnesses-horror-stories

Hey, but if your good then BP will give you money....... and that will fix all problems :huepfenic
Sure hope that none of you ' Good old boys ' are eating anything from the area. And if your living there then ..... :tit:
Oceanographic satellite data now shows that as of July 28, the Loop Current in the Gulf of Mexico has stalled as a consequence of the BP oil spill disaster. This according to Dr. Gianluigi Zangari, an Italian theoretical physicist, and major complex and chaotic systems analyst at the Frascati National Laboratories in Italy.

Although at first glance the Loop Current appears confined within the Gulf, scientists define it as an “element of an extremely complex, open system”: as all other “elements” of the so-called “Earth System”, are not separable from the others.
These various “elements” of the Earth System (i.e., atmosphere, landmasses and so forth) are so strongly correlated to one another that at some point, they become indivisible.
Why is this important to all life on the planet? The Gulf Stream is a strong interlinked component of the Earth's global network of ocean conveyor currents, which drive the planet's weather systems.

While pundits are certain to trivialize the ramifications of this event, “the real worry” says Zangari, “is that that there is no historical precedent for the sudden replacement of a natural system, with a dysfunctional man-made system. That is, except for the atomic bomb blasts and contamination as a result of nuclear waste and nuclear plant accidents, such as the April 1986, Chernobyl disaster
http://www.examiner.com/x-8199 ... alls-from-BP-Oil-Disaster
These are the consequences of a major oil spill I'm afraid, all oil dispersant is toxic to some extent and all crude oil contains volatile material which causes harm in various quantities depending on the quality of the oil. Before you lynch me I'm not defending the way that this has been aparrently covered up. Its either this or the oil slick is very slowly cleared by nature, which would be unacceptable, but spraying toxic dispersant on the area is just as if not more unacceptable, so sadly the powers that be have decided to lie because telling the locals that "we're going to spray toxic chemicals all over your area" is never going to go down particularly well. This lose-lose situation was pretty much guarenteed ever since the well first blew out.

I would however like to see more sources, also an explanation of how methane released when solvent is added to an oil/dispersant mix can magically ignite itself and also using The Day After Tomorrow as a reference detracts a little from the article's credibility.
I have nothing to add about the spill itself. I think it's appalling it took so long to deal with and that it's still going on all this time later. I don't understand what's causing the hold up, other than typical boardroom politics.

The only potentially good thing that could come out of this is more people eager to move to alternative fuel sources. Electric cars are coming, and for that industry I guess this couldn't have happened at a better time.
it's not the only oil spill going right now (or in recent weeks), either.

enbridge has(/had) a leak in michigan on some pipeline, and they're dogging the cleanup (enbridge has developed a bad rapport in recent years).

and there's a leak in china which they're estimating is the size of the exxon valdez spill, which is what they said about the bp spill before the majority of said oil never made it to the surface.
Everything's fine - Here's a vid showing that there are no problems with seafood in the area.

Its on TV, it MUST be true.

Please continue sleeping.

http://www.thisjustinneworlean ... TpmQFlvjoHEE5T98L1wuRcGzK

BP, Coast Guard ignored order to stop using dispersants: report

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0731/bp-coast-guard-dispersants/

Pelosi Blocks Oil Spill Investigation
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=38284

Obama to make $85 million from BP disaster

http://69.84.25.250/blogger/po ... ion-from-BP-disaster.aspx

Experts: Health Hazards in Gulf Warrant Evacuations

http://www.truth-out.org/toxic ... g-widespread-illness61604
Just a quick update - seeing as all the oil has according to BP & the US Govt magicly vanished or been removed by pixies or whatever the brain-dead choose to believe.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=20543

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) report from Wednesday claims that 33 percent of BP’s oil in the Gulf has been either burned, skimmed, dispersed, or directly recovered by cleanup operations. NOAA goes on to claim that another 25 percent has evaporated into the atmosphere or dissolved in the water, and another 16 percent has been naturally dispersed. Of the remaining 26 percent, NOAA claims that amount is either washed ashore, been collected from beaches, is buried along the coasts, or is still on or just below the surface.

University of South Florida chemical oceanographer David Hollander says these estimates are “ludicrous.” Of the NOAA report, Hollander says, “It’s almost comical.”

Other scientists also immediately expressed their doubts of the validity of the NOAA report, whiletoxicologists expect to be busy tracking the effects of BP’s toxic dispersants “for years.”

Giant plumes of BP’s sub-surface dispersed oil are floating around the Gulf of Mexico, as confirmed recently by researchers from the University of South Florida.

It was also recently revealed that the worst dead zone in 25 years has been recorded in Gulf of Mexico waters. Of course it’s likely a given that this is due to BP’s liberal use of dispersants.
“To judge from most media coverage, the beaches are open, the fishing restrictions being lifted and the Gulf resorts open for business in a healthy, safe environment,” environmental activist Jerry Cope wrote recently, “We, along with Pierre LeBlanc, spent the last few weeks along the Gulf coast from Louisiana to Florida, and the reality is distinctly different. The coastal communities of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida have been inundated by the oil and toxic dispersant Corexit 9500, and the entire region is contaminated. The once pristine white beaches that have been subject to intense cleaning operations now contain the oil/dispersant contamination to an unknown depth. The economic impacts potentially exceed even the devastation of a major hurricane like Katrina, the adverse impacts on health and welfare of human populations are increasing every minute of every day and the long-term effects are potentially life threatening.”

Cope continued:

“In May, Mother Nature Network blogger Karl Burkart received a tip from an anonymous fisherman-turned-BP contractor in the form of a distressed text message, describing a near-apocalyptic sight near the location of the sunken Deepwater Horizon — fish, dolphins, rays, squid, whales, and thousands of birds – “as far as the eye can see,” dead and dying. According to his statement, which was later confirmed by another report from an individual working in the Gulf, whale carcasses were being shipped to a highly guarded location where they were processed for disposal.”
The fact that BP continues to lie about this incident hardly surprises me at all.
I love this Racer guy, he always comes up with some conspiracy theories

BP oil catastrophe - horrifying pictures
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG