The online racing simulator
BP oil catastrophe - horrifying pictures
(171 posts, started )
Just a sample of some scary pictures a photographer took of sea birds in the gulf of Mexico.

You can find them HERE

I really hope they can help them although it already seems to be too late.
don't count on it

birds clean themselves with their mouths so all the birds who do get oil on them try and clean it off and end up ingesting it :/
This is probably an advertising campaign they'd like to forget.

Thats f***in messed up!

Poor birds.

Edit: I noticed the "bringing oil to american shores" logo on bp site too, some time ago. Thats weird.
indeed it sucks to see so many birds who will have to die.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :That's almost entirely correct....

http://politicalhumor.about.co ... il-to-american-shores.htm

quote from their site: "This image has been making the rounds, purporting to be an ironic BP ad from 1999. It turns out it's fake. The folks at Despair.com originally created it as a T-shirt, but it's still funny."

^^edit: Just pointing it out in case if anyone don't bother to read the text below the picture.

Quote from hazaky :
I noticed the "bringing oil to american shores" logo on bp site too, some time ago

11 years ago? great memory, although this logo with that slogan has never been on their site
That is so sad
All that perfectly good oil gone to waste, while we're running low as it is. Depressing, indeed
I am not defending anyone, and not saying things could or could not be handled better. Honestly it's been quite some time since this started and all attempts thus far have failed? That is pretty crazy.

But to pretend that this stuff doesn't happen, and doesn't effect our blue and green little planet would be a lie. This isn't even the largest oil spill in history, according to wiki. Which was shocking to me. And yes those are horrifying pictures, but imagine all the fish and other animals, as well. It is a giant mess, but there it comes with the territory. Same with other sources of "power" that we have.

Even 'clean' energy of converting falling water into electricity has is disasters. Nuclear power plants have their own disasters and waste products, just as oil is using a non-renewable resource, that took millions? of years to be 'made'. Energy is not free, no matter where it comes from. Including these wind farms, hydrogen driven cars, solar energy. Everything has a price and long term effects that we may not know about now, and may not until a century or more after they become the main source of energy... But nothing is free.

I guess, we have to accept it for what it is, but it would surely be a lot better if instead of pointing fingers at everyone, we would instead hold hands and fix the damn problem. People blame the US, then turn and blame BP, then turn and blame the equipment manufacturers. Then you have the scientists and field experts saying that it might be leaking faster than BP claimed - well then so be it, use your expertise to come up with a valid gameplan on stopping the thing.

Sure politics, and money and other things are involved on a level I won't try to understand, and certainly won't pretend to understand. But standing around with fingers pointing elsewhere isn't solving anything. I do hope this get cleaned up with as minimal environmental disaster as possible. But to pretend things aren't effected is a lie, we effect things even when things are going well. Even if the ocean wasn't turning black we would be effecting the environment.

Am I a complete 'green' person, hell no. I won't try to claim I am. But I do _try_ to keep it in mind from time to time.

*Some of what I said was speculation on my part, although it all came from hear say at the very minimum.
Ever wondered what millions of tiny dead fish would look like? BP helpfully provides the answer:

Whilst not belittling the scale of the potential (and growing) disaster with BP in the Gulf of Mexico, apparently more oil is spilt every year in the Niger delta by American oil companies.

Something which the US administration, media, etc don't seem to find so interesting, which makes their finger-pointing at BP rather hypocritical.

None of which changes the fact that I really hope the leak is capped pretty damn soon. As already said, we're running out of the damn stuff. Some suggest that the depths and efforts oil companies are having to put into their drilling suggests that peak oil may be approaching faster than anticipated. Oil companies are putting huge resources into extracting from seriously deepwater oil fields that are relatively minuscule. So even aside from the environmental concerns, we don't want to be pissing it into the sea.
Poor birds.
it came to mind :hide:

first picture is the worst
Yeah, and it was a very good idea to build a pipeline with something that is really difficult to get rid out of the water through the ocean. Seriously.
Why an Oil-pipeline through the god damn ocean?
Okay, maybe it's needed. But there are other ways to send that Oil over the planet.

And there should've been an emergency-plan for such a "worst-case scenario" already since they started building that pipeline.
Because they could've thought, that something like this could ever happen. But they didn't and now they are spending million dollars for attempts to fill that f***ing hole in that god damn pipeline without even having any good plan how to repair it.
And while spending those million dollars, they even waste that much Oil while its getting less and more expensive already. Oh and they are killing many, many Animals and they also are poisoning the ocean and with that all those beaches etc.

Okay, maybe they can repair that pipeline. But imagine the shitload of work to get rid all of that oil that already is in the ocean.

Well done BP!

/MarkAsLongestTextEverWrittenByMyself
#20 - 5haz
Quote from TheBlackBullet :Yeah, and it was a very good idea to build a pipeline with something that is really difficult to get rid out of the water through the ocean. Seriously.
Why an Oil-pipeline through the god damn ocean?

Because thats where the oil is, or rather where a combination of rock characteristics and structures such a faults, folds or unconformities combine to trap it, often under great pressure.

Quote from TheBlackBullet :Okay, maybe it's needed. But there are other ways to send that Oil over the planet.

These include buying oil from OPEC countries, most of whom aren't exactly best buddies with the West and can grab us by the bollocks through crippling embargoes and price hikes, as we saw in 1973. Then there is always the option of mining tar sands in Canada or Venezuela, which is like sandpaper and requires you to replace all your processing equipment every five minutes.

Quote from TheBlackBullet :And there should've been an emergency-plan for such a "worst-case scenario" already since they started building that pipeline.
Because they could've thought, that something like this could ever happen. But they didn't and now they are spending million dollars for attempts to fill that f***ing hole in that god damn pipeline without even having any good plan how to repair it.
And while spending those million dollars, they even waste that much Oil while its getting less and more expensive already. Oh and they are killing many, many Animals and they also are poisoning the ocean and with that all those beaches etc.

Okay, maybe they can repair that pipeline. But imagine the shitload of work to get rid all of that oil that already is in the ocean.

Well done BP!

/MarkAsLongestTextEverWrittenByMyself

As for this, yes there should've been an emergency plan, but bear in mind this is the deepest a well has ever blown out before, 5,000ft down, and there is very little experience of dealing with gushers that deep.

After this is sealed there will no doubt be a lot of scratching of heads, drawing of plans and the perfecting of methods, and of course the filing of lawsuits.

But lets not be so quick to point the finger of blame, especially at greedy businessmen. This accident was probrably caused by a faliure to maintain hydrostatic pressure in the drilling well, causing oil and gas out of solution to move up the well rather like shaking a bottle of champers and letting the cork go. And then of course the gas found a source of ignition.

However, there is a history of previous incidents and equipment faliures some of which aparrently went unreported, so its looking likely that some heads will deservedly roll for this.

I really wish people would stop talking in the tone as if this is some kind of big corporate conspiracy though, this is an accident probrably caused through serious negligence, not with malicious intent. Not that that makes it any better though.
people seem to be making fun of BP about the spill and stuff, but what people seem to forget is that when BP had some mergers back in 2000, they adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum"... if that's the case, then why are they still drilling for oil?
They are now thinking about stopping the leak with nuke.
That's the price you pay for lives.

Tards.
More birds die every day from flying into plate glass windows in the USA than will die from this oil spill. It helps to have some sense of perspective. Whilst it is indeed a terrible tragedy, it's the fish we should be more worried about but everyone automatically goes for the birds because they are accessible I suppose

I just hope after it is all stopped they don't decide the best thing to do is to pressure wash the beaches, rocks etc, as that does even more damage to the environment. Leaving oil spill damage to fix itself, which it does, is far more effective and wildlife returns to the affected areas a lot quicker than if the affected areas are just made sterile by a big pressure washer.

Here is a good read http://frontpagemag.com/2010/0 ... ers-and-double-standards/

(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG