The online racing simulator
Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
LFS isn't dead. But the community is. This thread is testament to the communities decline.

Mod developers have gone. Event organisers have lost interest. Most of the great racers have gone. It's all very sad. Those left hope it will rebound, but it's all in the developers hands. They need to spark interest again and build it up again. Key to this is changing the philosophy to Release Early, Release Often. This is how it was in the early days and what was responsible for LFS's rapid rise in popularity.
Quote from zeugnimod :The Brazilian is back!!!

Yeah, it's that time of the year again. :munching_
I can see a pattern from his posts in the forum and I guess this is what he does in his vacations. But don't worry, he'll probably be gone in a month.
So long as this thread is alive then LFS is not dead.
Quote from JPeace :Now you said that, there will be a massive argument and the thread will be closed.

Apocalispe is comming!

Massive argument? You're a bit late for that one.
Quote from JPeace :You wait, that was childs play compared for the mahusive one coming, i sense it in the wind...

Yeah, like as if anyone has anything new to say?
the reason I see the future not so bright is the lack of an option to design tracks, or to have users submit tracks to the dev team. If there will ever be an update; just 1 new track will not satisfy the marority of users. Compared to other race sims. so, devs, please open up the ability for a track plug-in!
Quote from bosbrandje :the reason I see the future not so bright is the lack of an option to design tracks, or to have users submit tracks to the dev team. If there will ever be an update; just 1 new track will not satisfy the marority of users. Compared to other race sims. so, devs, please open up the ability for a track plug-in!

The FAQ explains why that is not yet an option, but that it will most likely be possible in future.
http://www.lfs.net/?page=faq&id=8

I think their position is reasonable, although I guess that depends on when development might be considered 'mostly finished'.
Quote from PMD9409 : BBT and I have both mentioned the spreadsheet model instead of emperical,

Just to point out that the spreadsheet approach is the emperical one (it's based on emperical data i.e. actual measured data collected from the cars and the tires that the cars run with), so in some ways that's a great thing. The data they've collected is invaluble. What's even better, is that Kaemmer can develop his new physical model around that data, making it match as close as possible. So it certainly wasn't a waste getting it, and it's been put to good use in the interim with existing methods.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Just to point out that the spreadsheet approach is the emperical one (it's based on emperical data i.e. actual measured data collected from the cars and the tires that the cars run with), so in some ways that's a great thing. The data they've collected is invaluble. What's even better, is that Kaemmer can develop his new physical model around that data, making it match as close as possible. So it certainly wasn't a waste getting it, and it's been put to good use in the interim with existing methods.

Yeah I worded that completely wrong, you understand what I was meaning by it though.

The data is extremely useful, I'm not going to say no to that at all. But its taken quite a while for them to finally introduce Kaemmer's physical model, one that I thought would have came much sooner with the resources they had. For an emperical model it seems to be the best it can be, but it still doesn't "feel" like a real car should. And like I said before, who knows if it is even the tires that are creating this problem, for all we know it could be something else physically wrong (I'm no genius at this stuff so I am not even going to guess ).
Quote from Intrepid :I doubt S3 will be £12. Inflation will push it nearer £20. Giving a price for a future not-in-existence product is a massive mistake because of inflationary pressures.

inflation rate of 66%? maybe you should move somwhere other than dreamland
Quote from Michalxo :I've never seen a patch or something similar since I am here

You joined in august 2008 and I think there was at least two patches since you joined LFS. The current version is Z28. The last patch was Nov 25th, 2009 18:55.
This forum is unfortunately cluttered with inane posts, making it incredibly difficult to find and read the interesting contributions.

The number of interesting contributions has always fluctuated according to (un)released content, but the spam ratio has been increasing in the past years.

Is there a way to reduce spam and locate easily the nice posts in here? I think it depends on us all... optimistic or pessimistic thought?
Quote from Mille Sabords :
Is there a way to reduce spam and locate easily the nice posts in here? I think it depends on us all... optimistic or pessimistic thought?

I know it was mostly retorical

However...

I think it is very optimistic to believe the feel of this forum will ever return to how it felt in the early years 2003-2006.
with the influx of so many new users finding this forum after S2A release it has diluted the interesting threads here like value squash, and "spam" has become ubiquitous.

Especially in the last couple of years it seems it has become accepted and acceptable to most, to just put up with it, but you're right it is up to us, up to us to use the report button if its needed, and make clear to those who spam repeatedly, that it is not welcome (although this course of action normally starts a 10 post argument that throws threads even more off topic)

With or without the spam there are still great threads with some gems of posts to be found from educated and knowledgeable people, i agree though it would be much less fuss without the static.

LFS dying? maybe, maybe not, but this forum is showing signs of illness.
SD.
Quote from Shotglass :inflation rate of 66%? maybe you should move somwhere other than dreamland

As an object of your wrath, he belongs in Canada...
LFS is not dead, the community is alive... here on forum at least! LFS became a thread racing game! Who will post more?
Quote from Speed Soro :LFS is not dead, the community is alive... here on forum at least! LFS became a thread racing game! Who will post more?

I understand you dont like the development speed,i dont like it either, but i try hard to not post nonsense about it, it just dont helps..
And maybe its dead for u, fine but its not dead for ppl who still play everyday.
Quote from PMD9409 : Maybe I think they should focus on physics instead of content. Maybe you think the complete opposite.

Ahah!
Quote from Shotglass :inflation rate of 66%? maybe you should move somwhere other than dreamland

lol eerrmm... we've just printed 200bn. Add in fractional reserve banking and .5% interest rates and you get very high inflation...

Remember the £12 price tag was set many years ago. By the time S3 is released £12 will be a drastically too lower price.
Quote from migf1 :They brought fresh air to the scene but for an outrageous price. You see something hypocritical in the above phrase? If so, you should look up in the dictionary what "hypocrisy" means.

Being and staying fresh is one thing. Charging more than all the competition altogether for it, is another. And you trying to downplay my right to have my own judgment about when and where I'll spend my money is pretty pathetic.

You don't have to agree with my opinion, but you ought to at least respect it (keep your fancy targeted "adjectives" for your friends or even better for yourself).

It's pretty simple concept to understand - iRacing is a breath of fresh air because it can afford to be . If it didn't charge the amount it does it simply wouldn't exist!

For Live For Speed to continue to stay afloat rather than charging a subscription fee like iRacing they have to subsidise the project by doing deals with other companies like VW, Intel, Rockingham etc... Someone is still paying the price!

In some circumstances it works for the LFS customer because we get new tracks and new cars but their current pricing model (probably) doesn't generate the rate of income that iRacing does for their development team. And because of that iRacing has a much faster development curve because they can re-invest in the simulation which benefits everyone!

I am simply making an observation of the situation, and if you don't want to buy iRacing then fine, but you act as if iRacing charging more than the competition is somehow 'offensive'. It's complete nonsense. These guys are not your slaves. To get on your high horse because a company that produces an absolutely fantastic product has the audacity to actually charge for it is hilarious.

I would like to add - LFS IS a great simulation and still one of the best out there. The devs have made it very clear that it's a personal project, which is fine, I respect that. I wish they would charge MORE for their product though
Quote from Intrepid :
For Live For Speed to continue to stay afloat rather than charging a subscription fee like iRacing they have to subsidise the project by doing deals with other companies like VW, Intel, Rockingham etc... Someone is still paying the price!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that LFS neither pays for or is paid by any of those endeavors.
Quote from Ales_M :I understand you dont like the development speed,i dont like it either, but i try hard to not post nonsense about it, it just dont helps..
And maybe its dead for u, fine but its not dead for ppl who still play everyday.

blablabla... fanboys have no more arguments, in fact they never had, but after almost 3 years of waiting, they should try to invent something new. But I no more worry about LFS for a long time. I just come here to see if people has left or if they are still around the tumb watching the corpse, like ancient watchdogs.

Ok don't worry, I'll leave you in peace, no more joke for some months. But I'll be back when the book cover closes to assure that you won't be burried inside the Scavier's endless story LOL
so, if you still enjoy something you're automatically a fanboy? wow, this forum is something else.
how can you come to a forum to see who is not there? i would say you still come to this forum to see if there is any updates. i don't think LFS is a "dead corpse" after all, you can still use LFS in it's current state. the dead are just dead. or zombies, which i have issues with.

i think i'm one of the lucky ones. the people i started racing with are still here (more or less) and i can still have those epic battles i used to have from way back in S1 days. some of those guys are in the same team as me. we all have very similar interests and play the same games.
these games range from golf, snooker, poker, darts, combat sims (vegas1 and 2. Arma1 and 2, rainbow six3 and so on), flight sims and strategy games. the trick is to not play the thing to death. for that, the only person to blame for that is the user.

i've found that it's usually the people who play ONLY LFS that tend to fade away and end up trashing a once popular product. it's when the patches are released they change their tune to "omg, i love you for this update". to me, that's a fanboy.
Quote from Intrepid :lol eerrmm... we've just printed 200bn. Add in fractional reserve banking and .5% interest rates and you get very high inflation...

4% is a very high inflation rate
66% is a ridiculous inflation rate
illepall
Quote from Shotglass :4% is a very high inflation rate
66% is a ridiculous inflation rate
illepall

So you think S3 will come out next year?
4% over 13 years is ~66%, and S2 price was set 5 years ago already...
This thread is closed

Is LFS Dying?
(289 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG