The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Good point

I think the best lap I can manage is a 2.11.mid around VIR Full. Ur crazy fast moose, 2.09.xxx bah.

Shares setups please
My Skippy set for everywhere is

Pressures: 23 front, 22 rear
Spring perch 10
ARB 7

That's one thing i love about this car..less time tweaking, more time driving

Dave, you out there? any chance of a V8 set for Silverstone?
Cheers Moose, seems that ive finally pick up VIR.

I ment to say i was doing mid 2:12.xx but now on mid 11's

I think I can push a 10 if I can just carry the speed and get the line right

EDIT: Just had a brilliant race, managed a low 2.11.036 or something and predicted is about a second off that, so I think I could break the 2.09.xx's just need more laps on it

But isn't the track changing soon?
Track changes at 0:00 monday night/tuesday morning.
I renewed my sub yesterday to give it another try. I still cannot work out how to enter a race though
I mean, i see the red links for sessions and all, but it all seems too random, how do i know what races i'm allowed/supposed to enter?
I'm sure it's all very easy and that i sound silly, but it's so different from the way you go about things in LFS, it has just quite litterally confused the hell out of me... I'm sure i must be the only guy who has had an iRacing sub for a total of over 6 months and never once raced online with it
Quote from GFresh :I still cannot work out how to enter a race though..........

Just click on the red 'RACE' button, select ' iRacing Solstice challenge' (as that's all your eligible to drive if you haven't raced yet) from the drop down menu on the top left.
Then click select sessions. Any sessions you can run are highlighted in red.

Qualy and Races sessions remain greyed out until 30 mins before the sessions start (I think it's 30 mins anyway)

You can race any sessions in the cars you're eligible for, which as a rookie with less than a 4.0 safety rating is only the Solstice on road and and Legends on Oval. Soon as you have a 3.0 SR you can race the Spec Racer.
Ok thanks.
So, say i qualified for a race tonight, do i have to do the race tonight? or tomorrow? how long do i get?
I have looked through the FAQ and the User Guide, but this information is just not spelled out anywhere...
You can race when you are in the mood for racing
No need to race the same day OR three day after...
Ok, thats pretty cool, and explains a lot. Thanks
Just to clarify, each new weeks schedule starts at midnight on Tuesday (Monday night, Tuesday morning)

You can qualy when you like and as many times as you like (SR is counted in qual) then you have till the following week to race as many times as you like.

Just take the first races you do pretty easy, concentrate on just getting clean races,get your SR up and get out of those shitty Solstice's asap.
Thanks for that Moose

I just boldly went where everyone else but me has been before, and ventured online with iRacing for the first time, although it was only a time trial. I want to get used to the way the cars feel first, as they are so different from LFS, but in a good way.
Dammit, i can see this thing tearing me away from my beloved LFS! :eek:
Heh, yeah

About that book, surely there is something similar for free on the tinterwebs somewhere? Not talking piracy here, just thinking like a very dedicated fans blog or something...
I'm sad to see that the Jetta isn't looking popular according to a few recent posts. Are the Jetta races sparsely populated? I'm kind of building up my SR in order to buy the Jetta, because I really fancy some FWD action.
From iRacing forums - new blog post:

On to some of the highlights of the things we are working on…..

Tires, yeah, instead of me regurgitating the same stuff I always say Mr. Kaemmer himself is going to write an entire blog post on what he is working on. After being tied to a chair and forced to watch me trying to solve quadratic equations on the whiteboard he finally broke and said he would do it.

Grant is back working on his new transmission model. He made my eyes glaze over yesterday by telling me he had just added in the mass of a hand into his model in trying to determine the velocity needed to get the dog tooth gears to engage. There is still quite a bit of work to be done on this, most importantly that there are aids available that make this new model usable by all of our customers.

One of the most complained about “features” in the sim is that a damaged car is just as fast as an undamaged car. We just figured what fun would it be if you lost the front wing on your IndyCar and it actually required you to slow down? Okay, seriously, we are working on improving the damage model.

I read a hotly debated thread yesterday on what exactly we are doing with the very general statement of “we are working on night racing”. (On a side note, if you ever want to see an engineer melt down describe a project they are working on in the most general description possible and say it’s a piece of cake to complete.) To elevate the suspense we are working on turning Richmond into a track that can be run at night. This may seem like a trivial task but we are modeling a light source from each light at the track. This will be over 100 lights. Kevin Combs will be doing a blog post specifically on this topic in the near future.

This project is just the first step in the long term project of finally getting back to work on improving our graphics engine. Now that Shawn is finally done working on the HoF project he is being set loose on all kinds of goodies to make the product sexier.

Fixed setup racing for hosted and official racing is also being worked on again. This is pretty self explanatory really. The real debate for this feature is what official series to make fixed setup. We have not had serious discussions about this internally yet but my first thought on this is that to start maybe D and under series are fixed setup? What do you guys think we should do for fixed setup series while trying not to add any redundant series?

I am pretty sure I have mentioned this in one of my previous blogs but we have started the process of transitioning to a third party sound engine called FMod. The feature set for this product should allow us to add some cool effects into the model and hopefully increase performance in general. At this time the goal is to have the old system in place as well so if there are any problems for a particular user you can continue to use the old sound engine.

We have heard quite a bit of feedback from our league operators that having more control over a hosted session would make their lives easier and we have listened. We have begun the process of trying to get back into hosted racing the extended admin functionality that we had in our previous products at Papyrus. As we have said many times before just because we did it at Papyrus does not mean we can copy and paste the code into iRacing so I don’t know the exact feature set we will have yet.

Tony “loose lips” Gardner has made a few posts recently about a few cars we are working on. We plan on trying to get the Tour Modified out in June around the same time that Thompson Speedway will be finished up. We also plan on trying to get the Mustang done in June or early July for when Mid Ohio is released.

On the topic of cars we have received a ton of feedback on our aero model and we have started to look at trying to model the draft effects on aerodynamic side force on the car. We think this will improve the side by side oval racing and being able to pass cars a little easier on the outside.

One of the larger projects that we will be working on is being able to find your friends on the service. We hope to be able to allow members to see if their friends are already in a running race, qual or TT, and can allow them to join an open practice and possibly a hosted session with them. We also are going to try and allow you to join an actual race they are competing in to watch it as a spectator.

I got to see some of the videos the other day that are going into the driving school and I must say I came away incredibly impressed with what they have accomplished. It’s going to be a seriously comprehensive training package that I believe everyone from novice to experienced sim racers will find useful. I am really looking forward to that getting launched.

And lastly, the cheerful backbone of our community, the iRacing forums, will be getting an overhaul. I have told Scott that if we don’t see a serious increase of positive thoughts and discussion in the forums you will be stuck with this same outdated piece of software that you have now. So let this be your warning!

Seriously though, we are incredibly excited to get these projects we are working on out to you guys as soon as possible. I think they encompass many of the things you have been asking for and yet only scratch the surface on what we want to accomplish. I hope everyone has a great summer (or winter for you guys down under) and now I am off to try and get this damn song out of my head!
I bought the Jetta but have only really done time trials with it while in that class. I can't find any races because I'm online so late at night and it was almost exclusively during the week.
Thanks BBT some tasty little tit bits in there. I'm liking the sound of Spectator mode & the Improved sound engine .
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I'm sad to see that the Jetta isn't looking popular according to a few recent posts. Are the Jetta races sparsely populated? I'm kind of building up my SR in order to buy the Jetta, because I really fancy some FWD action.

The Jetta is my main car at the moment mate, such good fun. You will usually get a fairly populated race in the evening UK time, it runs Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Monday. Plus there is the Shark Racing Jetta Club that runs on Tuesday evenings from 20:00 BST; it usually has a good mix of drivers and often races on some of the lesser used circuit variations. http://www.sharkracing.co.uk
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
Anyone here running the Mazdas this season? I bought it last night and am amazed how much better it is now compared to when I tried it a few seasons ago.

Mazda@Brands is a combo made in heaven...
Quote from The Moose :Anyone here running the Mazdas this season? I bought it last night and am amazed how much better it is now compared to when I tried it a few seasons ago.

Mazda@Brands is a combo made in heaven...

Yeah the tyre model for the Mazda had a serious update for this season, which has turned it into the car I always expected it to feel like. Smooth driving is rewarded, but sideways moments and slides are savable and happen in a predictable fashion.

I'd love to drive more cars this season, but I think I'm going to have to stick with the V8, and probably the radical as it's now class B and good fun too. I don't have the time for any more.
Yup, coming back this season and having a decent choice of series to run has made thing more tricky there's just not enough time in the week (or money in the bank ) to race all the ones I want to.

I've decided to skip the V8's. I'm just not getting on with it.. It's a constant fight with the car.. i cant be arsed with that for a full season. I've always been more of a SS guy anyway, so I'll stick to the Skippy and Mazda this season, and move on to the Lotus,Indycar or Williams F1 next season.

I might go back to the V8 in a build or two when it's had the inevitable physics tweaks. I'll probably race it on England Club night's though.
I really liked my partial season in the Mazda. I wouldn't mind coming back to them on the off days for the prototype challenge I guess. I can't handle the Vettes at Laguna Seca without some setup help.
£ vs $ = Fail
(you can try my laguna setups $1 each)
Won my debut Prototype split last night by over 40 seconds. I'm hoping next time it won't be split so we have more drivers to contend with.
Hehe, ok im now a CLASS C 3.52.

I thinking of grabbing the Mazda now, would like to hear opinions on what to do next :P
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG