The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I'm running a private set from Jason Burstein. It's perfect. Let me know when your gonna race and we'll jump in a vent server together.
Quote from racer hero :I'm running a private set from Jason Burstein. It's perfect. Let me know when your gonna race and we'll jump in a vent server together.

Probably won't be until the end of the week. I'll let ya know though
Quote from anttt69 :I wish they would give us something like overheating brake discs or sort that throttle position problem out. Pretty paint jobs aren't going to improve the racing. Any rumors on the next build?

I've heard the devs speak of dynamic brake physics (fade/overheating) in the 'town hall' meeting they held many months back. Yes. They actually held a live chat and let people ask questions. Pretty neat.

My understanding from talking with one of the top iRacing drivers the other night is they need a better aero model and tire physics model....and what sim doesn't need better tire model right? lol. The cars with street tires don't seem to be as effected. But the higher level cars with slicks suffer. The oval cars go from cold grip, to just right and then bam the grip just falls off. Supposedly this is from the aero and current tire physics combined...or so some say. I don't know for sure, but I do know the grip can just fall off at certain points. But the tire tweaks they did on the Star Mazda, Indycar and C6.R helped a lot, but I didn't like the C6.R. If feels 'disconnected' like the star used and still does a little. The indycar feels great to me, though i haven't put a lot of time in it yet. Mainly just the past 2 days.

I really can't wait to see if they apply the tire physics 'tweaks' next season and how things will change. I am also waiting to see how LFS does their new tire physics and also finally get to drive that scirrocco. Good stuff coming from all directions in sim racing and hopefully 2010 is going to be a great year for LFS and iRacing!
Tony Gardner is teasing us once again, this time in one of many "bring us this and that car, kthxbai!" threads.

Quote :Re: ***Official PORSCHE support page: iRacing bring us a 911 please***

We have some exciting news that we should publish late next week. Think you will like it! (I know, what a tease.) Rest assured we are always exploring options for content to make the service more fun for more people.

Tony Gardner
iRacing staff

http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... amp;tstart=0&start=94

Why content again? We can't have a proper 24h because once again opening the restrictive system everything is built around proves too hard, but instead of addressing missing features they add content... When will they react to the ever declining active members and get the core up to date instead of adding more and more to it?
Quote from bbman :Why content again? We can't have a proper 24h because once again opening the restrictive system everything is built around proves too hard, but instead of addressing missing features they add content...

You do realise that people who produce new cars and content are not the same guys working on ingame mechanics or researching for ways to improve overall physics. Having more content does not make the sim worse, you can pick and choose what series you want to run.

My guess is, it's an announcement on a new contract which will most likely be for GT-class and be direct competitior to Corvette, which would hopefully get multiclass racing started that has been a long-time request amongst some people. Then again, it's long way from announcement to actual release.

Quote from bbman :When will they react to the ever declining active members and get the core up to date instead of adding more and more to it?

(Last update on 22.12.09)
Quote from bbman :Why content again? We can't have a proper 24h because once again opening the restrictive system everything is built around proves too hard, but instead of addressing missing features they add content... When will they react to the ever declining active members and get the core up to date instead of adding more and more to it?

They may very well be 'announcing' new cars. But they have stated they are focusing most of the their engineer's attention at physics and features for the at least the next several months. Many of the cars they announced 5 months ago are no where near coming out if even started at all. But also keep in mind they will continue to release new tracks as they are ready because the tracks are created by a different group in iRacing then the cars and the physics.
We have enough road cars... more cars will just decrease numbers in the other series. We need something new, karting or dirt racing..
Quote from Crommi :
(Last update on 22.12.09)

What has google to do with it (especially since the numbers seem to be input by the URL)? Does it take more races by one individual into account? Anyway, double the members in at least four times more leagues, you have to see where I'm coming from...

And with all that "there are two teams!!!11" and all that, you could almost make another forum-bingo... What has that second team until recently? Sat on their hands? Or should I ask how many engineers it takes to implement blue flags or camera controls?
The content I have ATM is more than enough for me , been driving the Skippy for a few weeks , Its got more layers to it than an onion
More content = more income, in the short term at least, but spread the members too thin and who knows the outcome?.

I think you can have too much choice sometimes, only time will tell.
Quote from bbman :What has google to do with it (especially since the numbers seem to be input by the URL)? Does it take more races by one individual into account? Anyway, double the members in at least four times more leagues, you have to see where I'm coming from...

Darren Marsh does his "Statmonkey" posts which have all kinds of stats, that graph shows number of active accounts each week, meaning drivers who have raced at least one race. He uses a script to pull out all that data and Google Chart API is used to generate this particular graph.

Rest of the stats can be found here:
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... readID=63978&tstart=0

If you look at the race starts per club, it adds up to ~25000 race starts per week. With 5000 active racers it averages out to ~5 races per driver on weekly basis + time trials, practice sessions and qualifys. Or if you'd prefer it in graph, here's one, you can clearly see when online practise sessions were introduced.
Attached images
sessionEntries.png
Quote from bbman :What has google to do with it (especially since the numbers seem to be input by the URL)? Does it take more races by one individual into account? Anyway, double the members in at least four times more leagues, you have to see where I'm coming from...

And with all that "there are two teams!!!11" and all that, you could almost make another forum-bingo... What has that second team until recently? Sat on their hands? Or should I ask how many engineers it takes to implement blue flags or camera controls?

There are camera controls. There are commands to break away from the built in camera views and do it yourself. And there are blue flags. Depending how your HUD is setup, but they appear in the top left by default.

I think there are probably more then 2 teams. But their "Vehicle Dynamics" engineers work on the physics of the automobiles under the leadership of a iRacing's main physics engineer. The employees that do most the track building work are a separate group. Just like in any business different groups to do different tasks.
Funny to read posts moaning about content... on LFS forum. iRacing has development at speed of light compared to LFS, content, physics etc. being updated few times a year, yet people still complain.

Anyway, still it's not clear which car it will be, if it is a car, and if yes, they are writing about multi class racing on promotions page, so maybe we will have it. And if not, we have Ford Mustang GT and Ford GT, both GT2, on the way anyway, so it will come inevitably.
Quote from JohnPenn :The content I have ATM is more than enough for me , been driving the Skippy for a few weeks , Its got more layers to it than an onion
More content = more income, in the short term at least, but spread the members too thin and who knows the outcome?.

I think you can have too much choice sometimes, only time will tell.

I think you're right.

However, I do love the skippy series. Just when you think you have it nailed you realise there's a lot more to push
Quote from Kid222 :Funny to read posts moaning about content... on LFS forum. iRacing has development at speed of light compared to LFS, content, physics etc. being updated few times a year, yet people still complain.

Anyway, still it's not clear which car it will be, if it is a car, and if yes, they are writing about multi class racing on promotions page, so maybe we will have it. And if not, we have Ford Mustang GT and Ford GT, both GT2, on the way anyway, so it will come inevitably.

Goes to show that in general people are never happy. If I had a Porsche, I would probably wish I could have a Ferrari.
Quote from jbirdaspec :There are camera controls. There are commands to break away from the built in camera views and do it yourself. And there are blue flags. Depending how your HUD is setup, but they appear in the top left by default.

I know that... The point is what did the other "team"members do while the two guys implementing that were at work?

And now with the next build that supposedly focuses on improvements to the already existing content (finally!) there are no new content releases... I'm sorry, I call BS on the whole "two dedicated teams"-thing...
Is there any free demo for iRacing which I can test?

would like to take a look at it
Quote from bbman :I know that... The point is what did the other "team"members do while the two guys implementing that were at work?

And now with the next build that supposedly focuses on improvements to the already existing content (finally!) there are no new content releases... I'm sorry, I call BS on the whole "two dedicated teams"-thing...

Short list of content that has been announced, at least what I can remember from top of my head:

Cars:
Ford Mustang FR500S (Latest status update couple days ago: scan data has been collected)
Ford GT-R
Ford V8 Supercar

Tracks:
Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
Circuit Park Zandvoort
Oulton Park Circuit

You'll get a good idea on the release dates by checking the iRacing World Tour schedule:
(These are special events hosted within the service to mirror real-world events)
Quote :2010 iRacing Special Events schedule:

January 30 – Grand Am – Rolex 24 – Daytona International Speedway road course
February 13 – NASCAR – Daytona 500 – Daytona International Speedway
March 20 – ALMS – Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring –Sebring International Raceway
April 25 – NASCAR – Aaron’s 499 – Talladega Superspeedway
May 29 – IRL – Indy 500 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
June 5 – Grand Am – Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen – Watkins Glen International
June 12 – SK Modified – Coors Light Modified 100 – Stafford Motor Speedway
July 10 – Formula One – British Grand Prix – Silverstone
July 24 – NASCAR – Brickyard 400 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
August 21 – NASCAR –Sharpie 500 – Bristol Motor Speedway
September 11 – V8 Supercars –L&H 500 – Phillip Island
October 2 – ALMS – Petit Le Mans – Road Atlanta
October 16 – Late Model – Whelen Late Model 300 – South Boston Speedway
November 20 – NASCAR – Ford 400 – Miami-Homestead Speedway

Schedule as of 12/21/2009. Specific details to be posted on iRacing.com member site.

Quote from Crommi :July 10 – Formula One – British Grand Prix – Silverstone

what does this mean? oooooh!!!!
Quote from StableX :what does this mean? oooooh!!!!

Keep your pants on, I very much doubt they could afford licencing costs for F1 car. It's probably going to be Dallara Indycar at Silverstone which is close enough.
Quote from bbman :I know that... The point is what did the other "team"members do while the two guys implementing that were at work?

On this entire page they only person using the word 'dedicated' and 'teams' together is you. Go listen to The Opinion Nation radio special episode with Dave Kaemmer and he talks about their process for tackling physics issues/enhancements. It has also been posted in the members forum.
think i might be going to f1 at silverstone so ill post what its running when im there

There are dedicated people for general physics, vehicle dynamics, 3d modeling, textures, sounds, etc. So there aren't two teams but lots of different areas that need their own experts who are not just going to jump and work on something they are not familiar with. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Among other things they've been working on tire modeling, aerodynamics, damage modeling, netcode, setting up servers in Australia, building the hosted racing system, a huge number of website updates, converting their whole database to Oracle etc. Not all progress is immediately apparent to the end user, either.
Quote from brt900 :think i might be going to f1 at silverstone so ill post what its running when im there

I think you've misunderstood what iRacing World Tour is:
Quote :Starting next month iRacers will be able to participate in the iRacing World Tour, a series of same-weekend virtual versions of more than a dozen of the world's top motorsport events. Beginning in January with the Grand-Am Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway's road course, and then continuing with the Daytona 500 in February, the Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring in March, and including the Indianapolis 500 and the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, iRacing has scheduled a total of 14 events ranging from American short-track classics to Formula One and Australian V8 Supercars. The series concludes in November with the running of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series finale at Miami-Homestead Speedway.

Quote from StableX :what does this mean? oooooh!!!!

I'm sure i read/heard that it would be the Lotus. Dont get too excited yet...

..you never know though
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG