The online racing simulator
I might of missed this but the Limited setup system is bugging me,
does this mean all the setups i have will not be abal to use when this update comes? would i still be abal to drop or rase, stiff or losen the car, change the gearing as short or as long as i want. Basically Still do everthing that we can do now?
If not then i just can't see this working, Because Racers, Drifters and the Drags need completely different setups
LFS will not be the same if Limiting the setups.
Quote from Mr_0ddball :
LFS will not be the same if Limiting the setups.

No, it'll be even MORE of a simulator.
But would we still be abal to set the car up like we can now?
Set up restrictions have been discussed many times over the years, I'm certain Scawen has taken on board those discussions (he says as much in the first post) and will implement a system that fits and works well with LFS keeping in mind LFS intended audience and the current LFS community. Although as always you will not be able to keep everyone happy

More info at following post by Scawen:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1316239#post1316239

Snip from post...

Quote from Scawen :unlimited setups - we will not take away that ability. The idea is that it will be a host option. Maybe the default will be limited setups and the option will be "Allow extreme setups" or maybe the other way round.

Anyway the important thing is there will be hosts you can join with limited setups. For most road cars that would be very limited (like : tyre pressure and toe). For LRF cars there would be some extra adjustments (like damping and anti-roll bars). Racing cars would allow a lot more adjustments. Other hosts would allow extreme setups. Possibly the extreme setups could one day go further than they do now.

Quote from p.maishaupt :....For me, I have to say waiting has a limit and I will have some fun with other simulations (iRacing and so on)...

Do you think you're the only one? Do you think all of us have been playing LFS with non stop since 2001? Of course if you just sit there waiting for new patches you get bored. There is nothing wrong playing other sims
LFS is not like a girlfriend, you can leave her for X time and come back again whenever you want. I think we all do it
At first I was a little disappointed that Scawen was going to allow non-limited setups at all in the next patch, but I suppose he has to consider the drifters etc.. I just hope the racing community embrace the limited setup option properly and all racing hosts use it
Quote from Scawen :AI driver improvements

Just recently we discovered that the AI were driving around too slowly because they were underestimating the available grip. But because available grip depends on tyre load in a non-linear way, it turns out that some of the programming for the AI drivers needs a little reorganising. Many community members like to drive with AI in single player mode, so it is important for them to drive at a good speed.

I must say what i think about AI:

Ofcourse if you are pro then AI is too slow, but it's not biggest problem with AI. My opinion is that AI drivers are too general, they almost never make mistakes and so they never get to overtake another AI. Also when player tries to overtake them they usually don't change their lines at all, they drive like you are not there so too many times they end up hitting you.
Quote from jasonmatthews :At first I was a little disappointed that Scawen was going to allow non-limited setups at all in the next patch, but I suppose he has to consider the drifters etc.. I just hope the racing community embrace the limited setup option properly and all racing hosts use it

Agree.
I think it will be fun when people are using almost identically setups, then it's purely a matter of skills involved. Sure, a good setup doesn't make you fast, but it helps a lot.
Quote from jasonmatthews :At first I was a little disappointed that Scawen was going to allow non-limited setups at all in the next patch, but I suppose he has to consider the drifters etc.. I just hope the racing community embrace the limited setup option properly and all racing hosts use it

I can assure you that I will gleefully force limited setups on all NDR servers and within all NDR events.

Well, unless we start hosting destructo derbies.

Agreed! Though if SR members use that option, thats about 2/3 of the active community already!
sounds like it might be worth seting up my g25 again
How limited is limited?

I know a lot of road cars that allow a few degrees of camber adjustment. Surely we should be allowed that.
Actually, some of the cars I've worked with had camber, toe, and even caster settings. I don't think you can adjust them to such an insane degree like in LFS, nor can you adjust them accurately unless you had alignment equipment present, so I guess it does make sense to limit them/make them non-adjustable.
I think a lot of people are expecting a bit too much out of limited setups. If someone is fast as hell, a limited setup won't stop him being fast. Think of it this way, at the moment nearly everyone who is racing is using "exploit" setups with locked diffs and so on, so everyone is more or less on the same level already regarding setups. All that limited setups will do is simply make the pace of the racing lower. This is my theory on the subject atleast.

Personally I don't really care about the limiting as long as it stays optional. Setupping a car in LFS has been always one of the most fun features ever since the beginning of the sim and I hope it will never be taken away.

Regarding the extreme setup option, it would be nice to see the S1 separate handbrake adjustment back. Now I have to set the braking power way above 1200 Nm to get the handbrake to lock on demand, but that makes the primary brakes way too sensitive. A separate adjustment would remedy that problem.
Quote from Matrixi :Regarding the extreme setup option, it would be nice to see the S1 separate handbrake adjustment back.

Completely agree on this one, would be very useful for drifters.
Quote from Ziploc :How limited is limited?

Scawen said there might be a a few different "levels" of limits for the different car categories, the first of which would be toe and tyre pressure, like most normal road cars. He said something like "the same setup changes you can achieve without changing car parts".
Nice stuff Scawen, I've only been banging on about limited setup options for the last 4 years!!!!!.

Could this patch be the patch that brings me back to LFS?, who knows......
i know nobody really gives a darn, but il ask my dad how much you can change suspension, cause has been the best mechannic in a few different dealers for the past 22 years.
Hello
Thanks for a great job. but when can you get so we can get wet race, it would have been really fun.
Quote from logitekg25 :i know nobody really gives a darn, but il ask my dad how much you can change suspension, cause has been the best mechannic in a few different dealers for the past 22 years.

The answer is - it depends on the car, but on most production cars you have no adjustment other than toe and tyre pressures without buying new things.
theres my answer from somebody who actually deals with cars, no need for my dad

but i thought he has menitioned a few times being able to ajust caster camber stuff like that a little
Sorry if this has been already answered but;

What will happen to future WR's?

I mean how will the WR's be dealt with, with this new setup system?

Unlimited? Limited? Both?
Hotlaps will probably be with unlimited setups.
Quote from danowat :Could this patch be the patch that brings me back to LFS?, who knows......

And more important, who cares.....
Quote from nikka :And more important, who cares.....

Obviously you care enough to post that ya tool
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG