The online racing simulator
LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
Quote from MaKaKaZo :
Please consider the possibility of keeping the self extracting version (or just a normal zip file) as a secondary download option for us who like to manage our folders "manually"

I prefer too the self extracting version, it is easy to me (we are of the MS-DOS generation ), but if you think don't has sense. What it is the advantage? So if you are thinking to unnistall... How many times you has unnistalled LFS?

What I don't like is having data in 2 or 3 different folders, so 2 weeks ago I have installed W7 and don't need to reinstall LFS
Quote from Ripley :It's not so different than what we're used to.
File associations aside, the installer just unzips itself in the folder you provide.

The benefit is that it creates a parent folder, so that the average newbie doesn't mix up files.

Edit: well, I right-clicked on it just to try, and it created some weird temp $$$ folders (XP with 7-zip)...I guess game doesn't like that folder structure...

it extracts the folder structure the installer uses to install LFS. That structure does contain all the files and folders of LFS, but you'd have to move them from the weird temp folder back into the 'root' folder. Then you can delete the other temporary folders. So it's not really straight forward extracting, but it can be done.

We may keep a 7zip available for download btw for those die hards amongst you But it won't be on the regular downloads page.
-
(Ripley) DELETED by Ripley
Quote from Victor :
...The (main) tests :
-When the language selection box opens, is the right default language pre-selected for you?
-When selecting that language, does the text in the rest of the installer look good?...

- Yes
- Yes

Quote from Victor :it extracts the folder structure the installer uses to install LFS. That structure does contain all the files and folders of LFS, but you'd have to move them from the weird temp folder back into the 'root' folder. Then you can delete the other temporary folders. So it's not really straight forward extracting, but it can be done...

Yes I see, but at this point just running the installer is less "complicated".
Quote :
Originally Posted by Victor
...The (main) tests :
-When the language selection box opens, is the right default language pre-selected for you?
-When selecting that language, does the text in the rest of the installer look good?...

-Yes
-No (the last thing with "If you got allready an account" just in german)
the sentence dont show up completly.
The Hungarian text seems buggy. Attached picture.
Anyway the language selecting was correct, text looks fine.
Attached images
prob.JPG
It works ok with spanish.
It also change to the language selected
Quote from balee :The Hungarian text seems buggy. Attached picture.
Anyway the language selecting was correct, text looks fine.

hmmmmm sorry but I can't see what's buggy Please can you elaborate?
Quote from Whiskey :It works ok with spanish.
It also change to the language selected

It works in Spanish but the translation is a bit off. It needs to be edited a little using more formal speech and there are some expressions that should be changed and mistakes to be corrected.
Quote from Heiko1 :-Yes
[/I]

Thanks, that's fixed in my version now.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :It works in Spanish but the translation is a bit off. It needs to be edited a little using more formal speech and there are some expressions that should be changed and mistakes to be corrected.

could you please give some examples as feedback for the translator?
#161 - msk
Quote from Heiko1 :

Same problem in Polish version. One word is missing I think(or maybe more). Pic.
i've uploaded a new test version in that same post.
Quote from Victor :hmmmmm sorry but I can't see what's buggy Please can you elaborate?

God... it's not buggy. I just didn't noticed the sentence continues correctly after the dots. Sorry fot that!
Quote from Victor :could you please give some examples as feedback for the translator?

First screen:

"Este asistente te guiará a través de la instalación del Live for Speed.

Haz clic en Siguiente para continuar."

change to:

"Este asistente le guiará a través de la instalación de Live for Speed.

Haga clic en Siguiente para continuar."

This way it's more formal and in accordance with the rest of the text in the installer.

License agreement screen:

All the license agreement text inside the white frame is in informal speech and it should use formal speech as the rest of the instaler. This is the most important part. Also, it should use starting punctuation characters.

"Bienvenido a Live for Speed!

Para utilizar este programa, debes aceptar el siguiente texto :

- El Live for Speed está en continuo desarrollo. Podrán ser añadidas, modificadas o quitada algunas características en cualquier momento. Podrían ser añadidas algunas características que pueden estar incompletas, aunque funcionales, para mejorar la variedad y el contenido del simulador.

- Este programa no viene con ningún tipo de garantía.

- Instalar y utilizar este programa es bajo tu responsabilidad. Los desarrolladores de Live for Speed no tienen ningún tipo de responsabilidad de los daños personales o causados a tu ordenador que éste pueda causar durante su utilización.

- El contenido de la DEMO lo puede utilizar cualquiera, es totalmente gratis. El contenido BLOQUEADO es solo para usuarios con la correspondiente licencia. No debes intentar acceder al contenido bloqueado, o ayudar a otras personas a hacerlo, de ninguna otra manera que no sea adquiriendo una licencia y utilizando la ventana del juego destinada a desbloquearlo.

Gracias."

change to:

"¡Bienvenido a Live for Speed!

Para utilizar este programa, debe aceptar el siguiente texto:

- Live for Speed está en continuo desarrollo. Podrán ser añadidas, modificadas o eliminadas algunas características en cualquier momento. Podrían ser añadidas algunas características que pueden estar incompletas, aunque funcionales, para mejorar la variedad y el contenido del simulador.

- Este programa no viene con ningún tipo de garantía.

- Instalar y utilizar este programa es bajo su propia responsabilidad. Los desarrolladores de Live for Speed no tienen ningún tipo de responsabilidad de los daños personales o a su ordenador que éste pueda causar durante su utilización.

- El contenido de la DEMO lo puede utilizar cualquiera, es totalmente gratuito. El contenido BLOQUEADO es sólo para usuarios con la correspondiente licencia. No debe intentar acceder al contenido bloqueado, o ayudar a otras personas a hacerlo, de ninguna otra manera que no sea adquiriendo una licencia y utilizando la ventana del juego destinada a desbloquearlo.

Gracias."

Shortcuts and file associations screen:

"asociación de ficheros"
"Selecciona que ... quieres crear :"

change to:

"asociaciones de ficheros" (in three places)
"Seleccione qué ... desea crear:" (in three places)

Final screen:

"Haz clic aquí para crear una cuenta LFS si no tienes ninguna"

change to:

"Haga clic aquí para crear una cuenta LFS si no tiene ninguna"

I'll say that overall the translation is good, but some things make a product look more serious. It's important to use formal speech for this kind of translation, and even more important to not mix formal with informal. The rest of the fixes proposed are minor things. There are some sentences in the license agreement text that could be changed to sound better in formal speech, but I didn't want to go that far. I hope the translator is not offended by these suggestions.
I like the change Makakazo proposes
install/uninstall went perfect on good old XP machine.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :As I said before, the installer changes nothing for those who prefer a zip. Right-click and extract to.. works exactly the same way as before.

Not with WinRAR it seems.
Quote from arco :Not with WinRAR it seems.

Why would you use WinRAR when there is a better and free alternative? e.g. 7zip
WinRAR is free, and seems pretty good to me.
Quote from Shadowww :Why would you use WinRAR when there is a better and free alternative? e.g. 7zip

I'll admit it's been a few years since I've last tried it, and back then I didn't like its GUI very much. So I stuck with WinRAR.
Quote from arco :Not with WinRAR it seems.

Hm, right you are. Thought it would have, since 7z does

Quote from boothy :WinRAR is free, and seems pretty good to me.

If you break licence agreement by using the unlicensed trial after the 40 day evaluation period, yes
Quote from boothy :WinRAR is free, and seems pretty good to me.

It just depends on the type of data you are compressing. 7z is providing one of the best compressions out there, but in some situations, rar is better, too (iirc for TGA images). The MAJOR advantage of 7z is the fact that it is completely open source!
Windows 7 Ultimate 64b, Regional Settings as Finnish(Finland) (also for non unicode programs) but I'm using English as windows language.

The installer had english by default, I could choose Suomi from the list however.

Instead of 'Seuraavaan' I would've used 'alla olevaan' and
Instead of 'koneeltasi' -> 'tietokoneeltasi' maybe...

But I hear those are translations already in NSIS.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :
Shortcuts and file associations screen:

"Selecciona que ... quieres crear :"

change to:

"Seleccione qué ... desea crear:" (in three places)

I'm not sure that "Seleccione qué..." is correct, to me correct it is without accent "Seleccione que...". "Qué" is for answer or exclamations (I'm not sure is if an exception)
theres several issues with the german translation mostly that its all over the place randomly switching between "du" and "sie" and often not capitalising it
i can run it again read everything properly and elaborate if youd like

Quote from Victor :We may keep a 7zip available for download btw for those die hards amongst you But it won't be on the regular downloads page.

wohoo and could you make it .zip again fro the hardcoreness of it all?
This thread is closed

LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG