The online racing simulator
LFS installer package test
(213 posts, closed, started )
Hello all,

We've finally decided LFS should come packaged in a setup utility because of growing user-permission related problems in modern versions of Windows. Basically we don't want you to install LFS in Program Files as that will lead to problems.

I've prepared an installer but before we put it online for the public to download we thought we'd give it one final test on the test patch forum, just to make sure it works well on every computer configuration.

FILE UPDATED AGAIN
Please visit this post later in the thread for a test download : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1310220#post1310220

For this test, do not overwrite your existing LFS folder. This setup file just contains the Z25 you already have so it's best you keep that one intact. The installer does install some file associations though which you might like (for spr, mpr, set and lyt files).
The installer will also add an uninstaller, which can be found in the LFS folder, Start Menu or Windows' Add/Remove Programs feature.

Points to watch
-no unexpected problems?
-does everything look ok?
-did it install what it said it would?
-do the installed shortcuts and associations work?
Ill check rigth away DL'ing now
Downloading,expect some feedback soon
will try it out but please for the love of god make it not do too much without asking permission first (eg file associations start menu shortcuts etc)
also id appreciate it if the usual zipped version remained at least as an optional method of installing lfs
#5 - hda
I waited till I installed so I could give proper feedback

Everything went ok during the install and the file associations/shortcuts are fine as well. Personally I would like the default folder to be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Live for Speed".

Probably the only thing that matters about my specs is the OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
(UAC disabled)
Everything went well on my system.
Vista Business 64,the installer created everything it said and now i see those 4 files associated with LFS.
Quote from Victor :
Points to watch
-no unexpected problems?
-does everything look ok?
-did it install what it said it would?
-do the installed shortcuts and associations work?

- No unexpected problems at all.
- Looks fine, didn't spot any errors.
- Installed to correct folder, with correct folder structure. Everything, including user's own files (i.e. anything that didn't come with the package) and the root LFS folder were cleanly removed.
- All shortcuts and file associations worked, and were correctly removed.

Only thing I would suggest is changing the default installation path. Preferably:
- Users\Public or Users\<current user> for Vista and W7.
- Standard Program Files folder for XP-likes and below as there's no UAC nonsense to deal with.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :- No unexpected problems at all.
- Looks fine, didn't spot any errors.
- Installed to correct folder, with correct folder structure. Everything, including user's own files (i.e. anything that didn't come with the package) and the root LFS folder were cleanly removed.
- All shortcuts and file associations worked, and were correctly removed.

Only thing I would suggest is changing the default installation path. Preferably:
- Users\Public or Users\<current user> for Vista and W7.
- Standard Program Files folder for XP-likes and below as there's no UAC nonsense to deal with.

I am curious though, do you know if many people are used to using their Users folder? (because I'm not (and I'm not the only one))
Install Great, all shortcuts and associations work
Uninstalled without problems aswell
-Windows 7 32bit

I never use the 'users' folders.. Games, music etc all stored on the other HDD (saves reinstalling them after OS change/update)
I think its better to be stored in like "C:\Games" saves hastle over different folders on each OS etc..
"- Users\Public or Users\<current user> for Vista and W7."

Is not a good path!!
Just under program files or a separate folder on the disk. Not somewhere within the userprofiles. user-profiles are not intended to install software in!
Quote from Victor :I am curious though, do you know if many people are used to using their Users folder? (because I'm not (and I'm not the only one))

Im not using that either
Works fine on Windows 7. Big thanks for no-shortcuts option! I hate when my start menu is bloated.

Shortcuts work, associations work, everything looks good, except default NSIS logo. No problems at all. Great work

P.S.: Installing into Users folder is much more logical than Program Files (x86).

P.P.S.: I personally created \Games\ folder and gave mine user full access to it with permission inherition. This way is best IMO.
Quote from Victor :I am curious though, do you know if many people are used to using their Users folder? (because I'm not)

It's a fair point, I see why you'd say that and you're right, personally I don't install anything under users\myprofile. That said, all 3rd party applications I install under users\public, it's my new Program Files in effect. In fact, I know World of Warcraft's installer suggests that it's installed under Public. I would say that users\public is far more intuitive than c:\games, last time I used that path was under pure DOS I don't think it's a great idea to install stuff outside of Program Files, users\public or users\myprofile.
Works fine in Windows Server 2008 SP2 64 Bit and Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.

I don't like the "C:\Games\Live For Speed" as default though...
Uninstalling doesn't remove the Games folder, just the lfs one...

It should be program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Live for Speed" like the others said.

Also, the manual shortcut has no icon?

All the same, nice to see LFS finally having an installer!
Quote from Victor :I am curious though, do you know if many people are used to using their Users folder? (because I'm not (and I'm not the only one))

I agree, i dont use those windows default folders at all, actually i have never really used any folders on C except for the desktop
And in Win7 the first thing i did was sending the library feature to hell... just nonsense if you ask me, because it is not capable of dealing with a real amount of data. Like 20 svn repositories with 40k files and 5GB each. I guess those default data management suggestions are for home users who have a few hundred pictures, not a couple TBs of version controlled data and backups etc.

Im still waiting for the 'Windows for power users and developers' edition...
-
(zeromussov) DELETED by zeromussov : already above
Quote from hda :I waited till I installed so I could give proper feedback

Everything went ok during the install and the file associations/shortcuts are fine as well. Personally I would like that the default folder for LFS would be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Live for Speed".

Probably the only thing that matters about my specs is the OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

+1

It's a new millennium, and a new century, and we are nearing the end of the first decade there of. How about entering into the spirit of things and set about getting it right for this new upcoming version?

Surely LFS is mature enough to start behaving in a mature fashion?

I'd appreciate that more than any new car, track or physics.
Quote from DanielC :It should be program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Live for Speed" like the others said.

No it should not unless LFS will store all it's data (configs, setups, etc) in %APPDATA% which would be very hard to use. UAC is there for reason you know.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It's a fair point, I see why you'd say that and you're right, personally I don't install anything under users\myprofile. That said, all 3rd party applications I install under users\public, it's my new Program Files in effect. In fact, I know World of Warcraft's installer suggests that it's installed under Public. I would say that users\public is far more intuitive than c:\games, last time I used that path was under pure DOS I don't think it's a great idea to install stuff outside of Program Files, users\public or users\myprofile.

haha, yeah I think that's part of 'the problem'. I grew up with DOS, so it's what i know And I think many people think the same. Windows never really made clear (to me) how it should be used in the area of structuring.

Anyway, my Users/Public folder is quite empty except for the default subfolders Windows creates (video, music, etc) so I'll not go for that one. But I see many apps in Users/<user>/AppData/Local . Hmm, I guess that location would make an LFS install user specific? Would be good for those who share their computers...
I can add a LFS/data folder shortcut in the Start Menu folder so it's easy to spot for people who wonder where their LFS folder is.
Windows 7 64bit here installed no problems what so ever.

Although i run an Administrative account so its not likely to cause me problems anyway...

I agree that im used to apps being installed in the program files x86 folder, but then again on almost everything i install i change that path to a completely different hard driver / folder so i can keep the windows drive relatively clean.... that being said no matter where the actual app is installed.. like victor im used to things being in APPDATA or mydocs for the savegames / user files / configs etc..
Quote from Shadowww :No it should not

It's not a problem for anything else, I don't see why it should be for LFS...

UAC is usually more of a pain in the arse that it's worth anyway.

It's the first thing that gets desactivated on my PC's ...
Quote from MudPuppy :It's a new millennium, and a new century, and we are nearing the end of the first decade there of. How about entering into the spirit of things and set about getting it right for this new upcoming version?

Surely LFS is mature enough to start behaving in a mature fashion?

Thanks for the suggestion but you forgot to explain the problem.
Quote from Victor :
But I see many apps in Users/<user>/AppData/Local . Hmm, I guess that location would make an LFS install user specific? Would be good for those who share their computers...

NOW you're getting it!
My AppData folder is hidden by default, it doesn't appear to be a user selectable install location to me.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the suggestion but you forgot to explain the problem.

Love them or hate them MS has made it's best shot at moving forward, and not before it was long overdue in my view. They got styles they'd like devs to follow, they can tell you more than I could about that.

But I say why not give it a shot at doing it right? Could it really hurt so bad? Answer, no, but it could be uncomfortable settling in at first.

So, a little adjustment pain now is going to be worth so much smooth later.

Never thought I'd ever hear myself say it, but MS is at last starting to make a bit of sense here and there. (lord, did saying that feel strange:tilt
Quote from NotAnIllusion :My AppData folder is hidden by default, it doesn't appear to be a user selectable install location to me.

that's true it's hidden by default (i always unhide my files), but then we're back at square one. If we shouldn't use the Users\ folder, and not the Program Files folder, that leaves C:\Games
This thread is closed

(213 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG