The online racing simulator
It's coming along with Latin and Coptic.
...o/t - got to add, having to press enter to exit the credit screenis a pain.

What happened to the simple left-click > close?
Quote from CSU1 :...o/t - got to add, having to press enter to exit the credit screenis a pain.

What happened to the simple left-click > close?

I always left click and it works.
Quote from freddyalek90 :I don't see how on Earth someone could say that the RB4, the FXO and the FZ5 are '80s cars. And the XR could just have an old-fashioned look.

Please, stop complaining about ABS. If you think you don't need it (because of your supernatural skills), just TURN IT OFF.
If you think that's just an advantage for the others that use ABS, and you notice that they can do a lap faster than you, than TURN IT ON AGAIN! (WOW, Genesis quote!)

But please, ppppllleeeeaaase stop moaning!!!

try with some reading comprehension next time
putting a system designed to work as one of a 2009 vw car on cars that are clearly modeled after cars made in the 80s to early 90s doesnt even remotely achieve the standard of realism were used to from lfs
A button to turn ABS on/off from the cockpit (like TC) would make testing much simpler and more fun.

(You could even (!) play with turning it on only for certain corners....?)

I know this probably isn't a feature in any real cars btw. (My car doesn't have a reset button though either... anybody? )
Quote from Neilser :(My car doesn't have a reset button though either... anybody? )

My only server with OK ping doesnt allow it

Thanks for the patch, cant wait for the new physics
Thanks. Great patch
Quote from bavorak :yes but as you can see...for example new wr on S02R by arrowkart is far better than the previous without abs...and believe me, Mysho is very good racer

lol, i didnt get that wr because of abs. i will upload a quicker time without abs, to prove that his lap wasnt anything special

edit : done
Quote from IlGuercio :
Yeah i know,im expecting a river of "It isn't fair to use ABS" posts now...

It isn't fair to use ABS.

sorry
Quote from Shotglass :try with some reading comprehension next time
putting a system designed to work as one of a 2009 vw car on cars that are clearly modeled after cars made in the 80s to early 90s doesnt even remotely achieve the standard of realism were used to from lfs

In the Wikipedia link that ldriver posted, there's your answer.
Quote :The German firms, Bosch and Mercedes-Benz, had been co-developing anti-lock braking technology since the early 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978.

But, as I saw the "citation needed" flag, I searched more.
In the Mercedes Benz W116 (S-Klasse) page, I found this:
Quote :The most notable W116 was the high-performance, limited-production 450 SEL 6.9 which was the first production car to use a completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS), as an option from 1978 on.

That's not me having comprehension problems, it's just you not knowing that a 4-channel ABS in a car that LOOKS '80s (but could be easily from the '90s) could be possible, if that system was introduced in a road car in 1978.
But that's an XRG/XRT related "problem". The other cars that have ABS are all from the '90s.
Quote from arrowkart4 :lol, i didnt get that wr because of abs. i will upload a quicker time without abs, to prove that his lap wasnt anything special

edit : done

The assists debate is probably never going to be solved simply because humans drive cars, and humans aren't perfect. Until we can get a robot to drive a track to the absolute limits of potential and run exactly the same times lap after lap, the fastness of assists is theoretical only except on a case by case basis.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if ABS slowed some people down, while speeding other people up. This is guaranteed.
Does anyone uses the multiscreen option?
I have 3 screens but not all have the same size...is this still usable then?
19"-24"-19" is my configuration
1280x1024 for the 19"s
1920x1200 for the 24"
ofcourse is the 24" my primary monitor.
Quote from Bansky :Belive me when i say, that a skilled driver, with out ABS will still be faster than one with ABS, but not that skilled.

This is caused by the locking <-> unlocking sequence of the ABS, wich does not allow to break as constantly as a skilled driver.

That used to be correct a few years ago, modern ABS systems now brake better than a skilled driver. Well I don't know if the likes of MS have done such tests, but I have seen racing drivers testing ABS cars, and their braking distance is considerably longer than the ABS. ABS has become really advanced nowadays, it can detect individual wheels locking, it can detect different surface types and grip levels and transitions between them, etc. That said, I still believe a skilled driver will prefer to not use ABS.
The Starion had ABS, and that's why it's an option for the XRG/XRT. How much more realism do you want?
ABS in real life
For a start, I dont profess to know much if anything, but all cars I've driven (passenger, 4wd, sports) with ABS seem to 'let go' a little when the ABS kicks in. That is, they deccelerate slower when ABS is active.
I've always found the best technique for maximum braking is to rapidly but smoothly apply the brakes (to give the suspension time to load up and settle) until you get lockup on (hopefully) one of the front wheels, then to back it off slightly until the wheel unlocks then increase pressure again until you feel the edge of traction being reached again.
It sucks your eyes out of their sockets if you get it right in a car endowed with decent sized brakes.

I've always found ABS to be a little disconcerting when driving hard. What with the pedal shudder and the general sense that you're forfeiting a little bit of car control to a computer somewhere under the hood.
But thats just my 2 cents.
Scawen:
"If you don't like cruise servers, set "Cruise" option to "NO" in the list of hosts. One click and all your worries are solved. Now please stop having this silly argument. We get fed up with reported posts about racers attacking cruisers and drifters."

I would like a option for drift servers to!
Easier to collect out Cruising, Drifting and Race servers from the list depending on what you're looking for.

New dashboards looks great, nice work!
Have'nt tested the ABS that much but works great to.

Shortly i'm just thankfull for new patches and keep up the good work!
have to agree

i drove a pontiac transport (98-01 i dont remember the year)

and in winter it was a pure mess to be assisted with abs

it took me 2 week before i remove them and it was way better

it was taking too much time for the abs to unlock wheel (if you "panic brake" in certain case like : missing a stop or trying to avoid a stupid deer crossing the road)

i personally prefer to dose the brake myself but i never locked the wheel on a clean road

its not the same thing to race or daily drive i know but its comparable

if you know your car enough your not going to need abs ... in a race its better to slow down/brake before the corner

personnally i know when the car is about to slide when i brake or turn
you just have to feel it .. but well you dont feel soo much in lfs but you can see the force made on the car with one of those F's command
Quote from libben :Im trying to get my second monitor in play. But it wont. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried with adding one screen to left and right and then start singel player, but the other monitor never pops up, i just sit there with regular screen and FUBAR FOV

I have one dell 24 inch 1900x1200 and one eizo 22 inch 1680x1050. Is it possible to just game with 2?

Is it possible to have overhead view on my second monitor and first screen as regular primary screen? Would be pretty nice, to have a decent view around you when you drive.

Bump! anyone hooked up a second monitor? What am I missing? Just add one right screen in the options, and then what? I messed around with the fov and such, but still no good.
Quote from libben :Bump! anyone hooked up a second monitor? What am I missing? Just add one right screen in the options, and then what? I messed around with the fov and such, but still no good.

I have an nVidia card (I'm on XP). I used the desktop profile manager to make one single-span screen across 2 monitors, then launched LFS. Went to Options>Screen, scrolled down to the bottom and chose the large resolution that covered both monitors. Works a treat

[edit]

Attached images
nv_d_m.gif
nv_d_p.gif
nv_d_sw.gif
Quote from lfs-drift staff :have to agree

i drove a pontiac transport (98-01 i dont remember the year)

it took me 2 week before i remove them and it was way better

it was taking too much time for the abs to unlock wheel (if you "panic brake" in certain case like : missing a stop or trying to avoid a stupid deer crossing the road)

i personally prefer to dose the brake myself but i never locked the wheel on a clean road

its not the same thing to race or daily drive i know but its comparable

if you know your car enough your not going to need abs ... in a race its better to slow down/brake before the corner

personnally i know when the car is about to slide when i brake or turn
you just have to feel it .. but well you dont feel soo much in lfs but you can see the force made on the car with one of those F's command

You will NEVER be able to drive safer without ABS in real life situations, because the way brake systems and ABS works. For example, you can't distribute brake force between right and left wheel without ABS, a (modern) ABS system do. And in an emergency situation your instincts will tell you to STOP! and you will apply full braking power. Some things just can't be practised.

So people claiming they are safer drivers without ABS either got a defective ABS system or a defective brain. Since you were driving an american car (and yourself being canadian, not american) I'm assuming the former is the case.
#173 - Zay
Great work devs!!!
My personnel favourite is the headlights.
Quote from lfs-drift staff :i drove a pontiac transport (98-01 i dont remember the year)

What I mentioned in my post was about newer ABS systems, old ones were definitely not as good as a skilled driver. Also, not all ABSs are equal, if the ABS in a Golf GTI brakes better than most drivers, it doesn't mean the same can be said for a Kia Picanto.

Quote from lfs-drift staff :i personally prefer to dose the brake myself but i never locked the wheel on a clean road

I prefer that too, but always keeping in mind that a good ABS will outbrake me.

Quote from nikka :For example, you can't distribute brake force between right and left wheel without ABS, a (modern) ABS system do.

+1 very important point

Quote from nikka :And in an emergency situation your instincts will tell you to STOP! and you will apply full braking power. Some things just can't be practised.

Strongly disagree there, everything can be trained. You instinct is telling you to stop, not lock the wheels. If you do it a few times, your instinct is to brake at the limit of grip, not putting the pedal to the floor. It's the same as cornering really, your instinct is telling you to turn the wheel enough to make the turn, it's not telling you to turn it all the way to the lock now is it?

I have never locked a wheel more than a split second while panic braking in non ABS equipped cars IRL. And yes sadly I've had more than my share of panic brake situations with all the idiots populating the roads.
About ECU
... if you're okay with ripping the ECU out of the car. Again, road car, not race car. Think of it like taking your two-seater daily driver to an autocross meet. It still has ABS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah about ripping the ECU out...
ABS systems are easy to disable from use...
If you look behind you´r wheel&tire there is one pipe (for brakes but nothing about that)
Then there is usually another wire that comes somewhere near brakedisk
follow that wire and there should be plug somewhere...
just unplug that wire (and all 3 other wires from other tyres) and Voilá No ABS...
only thing it usually does is that there comes text or some symbol light that says ABS failure or something...
(My statement is only for demostration how easy it can be to remove ABS and i dont recommend anyone to do it and also i shall take no response if some one´s car dont like about that job, any system failure or malfunction or expensive repair or other damage made to car)(ok now no-one cant sue me)
T:Kerodal (studying last year as car mechanic)

the new patch is great especially the faster host list loading
Thankyou Scawen
This thread is closed

Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG