The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Options... Display... Show position list : [yes]

I stand corrected then. Clearly I'm way too out of touch

In that case, has to be alphabetical. And not just because I'm an OCD freak and want everything in a recognisable order. Probably.
Quote from Scawen :... The previous question was really just to ask if there was some reason to need to know the true order of the internal connection list.

I can´t imagine a reason for that. Alphabetical (sorted by nicknames, not usernames) is all we need.

But the host should realy stay on top... Some people maybe want to have a chat when the server is sorted too...
Just a quick note that the patch will not be out this evening, there are still a few important updates to be done.

I'm still hopeful for tomorrow, though. Quite important to get these updates tested if I can just finish those last few things.
Quote from Scawen :
- Alphabetic sorting of the connections list - are there any problems this could cause? Does it need a sort option or should it always be sorted?

If I am right, the "lag bars" in the lower left are currently in the same order as the connections list. This can be used to tell who is lagging without actually having to cycle through the players by position matching between the two.

If you change connections list order, please change the "lag bar" order as well so we can still tell who is lagging in this way.
Quote from pik_d :If I am right, the "lag bars" in the lower left are currently in the same order as the connections list. This can be used to tell who is lagging without actually having to cycle through the players by position matching between the two.

If you change connections list order, please change the "lag bar" order as well so we can still tell who is lagging in this way.

Good point. I automatically assumed they were joined at the hip, but if they are not then yes they obviously need to match
Quote from pik_d :If I am right, the "lag bars" in the lower left are currently in the same order as the connections list. This can be used to tell who is lagging without actually having to cycle through the players by position matching between the two.

Use the shift F8 for that i adds the ping of the player beside his name (show names view)
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Use the shift F8 for that i adds the ping of the player beside his name (show names view)

no, he is right, they need to be still linked together. The third bar keeps dropping out causing the others to go through the roof? You know immediately it is the third person on the connection list. It's amazing how many players don't even know what it is, on our servers we had somebody thinking it was a graphic equaliser because they were playing MP3s in the background...:doh:
Quote from SmegFirk :no, he is right, they need to be still linked together. The third bar keeps dropping out causing the others to go through the roof? You know immediately it is the third person on the connection list. It's amazing how many players don't even know what it is, on our servers we had somebody thinking it was a graphic equaliser because they were playing MP3s in the background...:doh:

TBH the lag bar is not really self explanatory. I thought it was some kind of equalizer at first too Even if you know it's a lag bar, it still isn't quite clear how it works. To read it you need to read the manual.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Use the shift F8 for that i adds the ping of the player beside his name (show names view)

"without actually having to cycle through the players"

I use this when racing, so that I can figure out who it is without having to spec other drivers.
great patch

no problems on my end.
Quote from geeman1 :TBH the lag bar is not really self explanatory. I thought it was some kind of equalizer at first too Even if you know it's a lag bar, it still isn't quite clear how it works. To read it you need to read the manual.

Funny how to understand how something works you have to read the manual first.. :P
Quote from Scawen :Just a quick note that the patch will not be out this evening, there are still a few important updates to be done.

I'm still hopeful for tomorrow, though. Quite important to get these updates tested if I can just finish those last few things.

look forward to it
Quote from senn :Funny how to understand how something works you have to read the manual first.. :P

Yeah
I was just saying that you can't expect new players or even older players to know how it works. Anyway it has nothing to do with the test patch, so I'll just leave it at that.
Well I don´t know if it is a bug - and if, if it is known... But I bought a new 23´´ widescreen today and I am running it at 1920x1080.

However, while racing I often check my tire temperatures - but I only realize the colour - not the shown temperatures. But using this resolution I am not able to see the colours because the temperatures are shown at the tire surface showing the temperature in colours... (see screenshot)

Do I have to live with that issue, or might that become fixed?
Attached images
lfs_00000076.jpg
Quote from Scawen :Press SHIFT+M to turn mirrors off and on and watch the cars - you will see that with mirrors on, the level of detail is too high on distant cars.

strangely enough the effect seems to reverse itself when using multiple monitors?
maybe the multi monitor lod calculation uses the single monitor fov instead of the combined fov?
Quote from Crady :Well I don´t know if it is a bug - and if, if it is known... But I bought a new 23´´ widescreen today and I am running it at 1920x1080.

However, while racing I often check my tire temperatures - but I only realize the colour - not the shown temperatures. But using this resolution I am not able to see the colours because the temperatures are shown at the tire surface showing the temperature in colours... (see screenshot)

Do I have to live with that issue, or might that become fixed?

It's a widescreen thing. I noticed the same thing when I first got my 22" wide.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=840239#post840239
Ah, ok... anyway, it is hard to get a non widescreen TFT todays... so perhaps it would be possible to change the button size at widescreen resolutions...
Hmm, anyone else getting random crashes while racing online? Only happens in Z17. Using LX6 on Autocross
Quote from Scawen :If I am wrong about this, and a mouse user does want to see the mouse, please let me know.

I don't want to see the mouse!
And besides, when I want to press something or to use the mouse on the screen I just press N.

Quote from Mille Sabords :Regarding mouse cursor:

The current implementation is perfect for me.
When driving with mouse, cockpit view, I set steering wheel + hands to show.
Outside cockpit / custom views the virtual steering gauge does the job.
Pressing "N" to get the connection list does turn the cursor on, that allows me to click on the setup send / receive or "T" for team races.
It would somehow alter immersion to get a cursor flying around the screen in my opinion.

I do not see a need to click on a car in the minimap with the connection list turned off, you would obviously want to know which driver you are spectating.

Any other opinion regarding this cursor display?

Exactly my thoughts, mate.
Regarding having the mouse visible, when I need to use the mouse I use it in wheel/xy mode (yes I know I'm a rare breed) rather than mouse mode so I can have better control over throttle/brake.
I find having the mouse visible useful so I can have an idea of my throttle/brake input while paying attention to the road.
I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but thought it was worth a mention

Exactly my thoughts as well
Quote from Shotglass :strangely enough the effect seems to reverse itself when using multiple monitors?
maybe the multi monitor lod calculation uses the single monitor fov instead of the combined fov?

Yes. Probably with mirrors on it used the mirror fov to set the lod. I guess with mirrors off it would have used the fov of the last segment of screen to calculate the lod.

So it was all wrong but now it is worked out sensibly in my version.

Quote from KanseiDneova :Hmm, anyone else getting random crashes while racing online? Only happens in Z17. Using LX6 on Autocross

I guess that is the same crash that was reported before, that can happen any time a car gets in a position where LFS cannot find a track side camera to view the car. Often happened at BL car park. If you got the crash address or offset we could be sure.
As soon as i hit the barrier, the game crashes. Happened twice for now and both on Blackwood Car Park.
What what, are you doing tests on the barrier bug now Scawen?
Quote from The Very End :What what, are you doing tests on the barrier bug now Scawen?

No, I guess it's the same old Z16 / Z17 crash - it happens whenever there is no camera for the car's current position.

That is what I assume if no crash address or offset is provided.
Regarding big Connection lists

An option or static change to very big connection lists would be to create a multi page list. That's a point no one mentioned yet as far as I see. Surely there only would be max 2 or 3 pages.
To step through the pages there could be a new button or simple press the button more then one time.
I don't think this would lead to misunderstandings because the page number at the bottom is intuitive from many other applications and the web. This system could be programmed to be really dynamic:

- Use multi page or not
- use same key or another
- number of entries per page

If you are planning to change the list keep those points in mind:

- Order players outside the box before players in the box + spectators (important for admins I guess)
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z17 (online compatible)
(332 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG