The online racing simulator
What are you Reading...?
(155 posts, started )
Nice thread
I've read a lot before, but now I do it from time to time.
Nevertheless I'm reading now this book and I advise it for all who are interested in science, biology, genetics. But may be it's rather out-of-date and known to everyone in Europe and USA so don't swear at me - for me it was a revelation (hope i use proper word). And I read this in translate on my native language (It was translated at beginning of 90').

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dowkins

Ichabot-

I stole a copy of that book from a bookstore years ago when I was young and crazy and rebellious. Guess you could say I was living upto the title rather well, eh?

The things we do!
I just started reading Contagious by Scott Sigler, its not really what I expected, I expect more of a zombie book, but its a bit x-files like, early days yet, but it seems an ok romp.

My GCSE English teacher gave me this to read once. She musta been ****ing mental!
i am reading this for my PSL in english

Its quite a good book, even though i don't read much and i can't really judge
Biff And Chip and The Magic Key
Quote from Intrepid :

My GCSE English teacher gave me this to read once. She musta been ****ing mental!

I keep meaning to read his non Sci-Fi stuff, I really like his style of writing as Ian M Banks, (as well as his particular take on the Sci-Fi genre). I've got a copy of "Dead Air" sitting on a shelf waiting to be read, must read it.
Quote from 91mason91 :Biff And Chip and The Magic Key

Loved them when I was younger, I've read a few again and they're hilarious now
Quote from gezmoor :I keep meaning to read his non Sci-Fi stuff, I really like his style of writing as Ian M Banks, (as well as his particular take on the Sci-Fi genre). I've got a copy of "Dead Air" sitting on a shelf waiting to be read, must read it.

The Wasp Factory is ****ing mental! lol
It's took a while as i have been fairly busy, but i have now finished reading the autobiography of ww1 veteran harry patch that i mentioned earlier in the thread, which was very good, and made me laugh at some points and brought tears to my eyes in other parts, just imagining being in those trenches at ypres at such a young age, i cannot imagine being so scared, and being in charge of a lewis gun, meaning that if captured you would more than likely be the first to be shot by the opposition, such a heart rending story of a regular young lad from somerset who was literally called up and sent to war and had a gun shoved into his hand.

A very interesting man IMO, and the the generations of today have a lot to be thankful for due to the bravery and sacrifices made by of all those young men over 90 years ago.

RIP.
Quote from gezmoor :I keep meaning to read his non Sci-Fi stuff, I really like his style of writing as Ian M Banks, (as well as his particular take on the Sci-Fi genre). I've got a copy of "Dead Air" sitting on a shelf waiting to be read, must read it.

His non Sci-Fi is writen in a different style and as such is an easier read......well a lot easier than the Wasp Factory thats for sure.
Quote :You should also check out The Fatal Shore.

Thanks DWB. Be interesting to place The Fatal Shore and Eleanor Dark's book side by side for comparison. It seems that her novel's been kind of lost (she wrote The Timeless Land in the 40's, actually the first book in a trilogy) but it was once a very well known work and very highly regarded.

Robert Hughes is of course great reading also. I'd read Shock of the New and Nothing if not Critical a while back... standard art student fare.

I'm going to start reading The Life of Senna again, I'm just about to start reading it then I get another F1 book
It's a real tough book to read.. some of the things encountered are very shocking.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auschw ... qid=1252067541&sr=1-3

Never did and never will understand Sci-fi stories. They can't affect you because they're not based on a reality. You need books with hard facts and shocking statistics for it to be a good read. There's nothing better than to see your tears hit the pages of the book, I doubt sci-fi books can do this. Not even a dying Owl would bother to cry reading a sci-fi book.
Windows Internals 4th edition, Free with research kernel kit...

Just found My Struggle by AH... idk if ill read it all tho...
Quote from BlueFlame : Never did and never will understand Sci-fi stories. They can't affect you because they're not based on a reality. You need books with hard facts and shocking statistics for it to be a good read. There's nothing better than to see your tears hit the pages of the book, I doubt sci-fi books can do this. Not even a dying Owl would bother to cry reading a sci-fi book.

This is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet.
Yep... for sure in the top ten...

Irvine Welsh - Filth

German title is "Drecksau" which means swine.

What are you Reading...?
(155 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG