The online racing simulator
What are you Reading...?
(155 posts, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet.

Explain what is dumb about my post? Yes nothing, because it's based on fact, unlike Sci-fi stories.
Sci-Fi stories are awesome, period!. It takes a great brain to come up with such stories.
Quote from Blas89 :Sci-Fi stories are awesome, period!. It takes a great brain to come up with such stories.

All it takes is someone tripping on drugs. Anything not based on reality, is a pure imagination. In a sci-fi scenario you can question ANYTHING about the book, because what basis the book is written on isn't real. You can question why people do not fly, why people do not just spontaneously combust when they say fap. It's not real therefore, you can just take drugs, think up your own story, and you need not by a book at all.
LoL drugs, haha, ok mister Big grin
Top 5 !
Quote from BlueFlame :Explain what is dumb about my post? Yes nothing, because it's based on fact, unlike Sci-fi stories.

That statement in itself proves how ignorant you are of the genre in question. Shrug
I know its a kids book really but i will be reading this just as soon as it arrives, i vaguely remember reading bits of it at school and after random googling of the bits of it that i could remember i found it again, as soon as i read the title i thought, oh yeah, thats the book lol.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co ... ells/ghost-messengers.htm
Quote from BlueFlame :All it takes is someone tripping on drugs. Anything not based on reality, is a pure imagination. In a sci-fi scenario you can question ANYTHING about the book, because what basis the book is written on isn't real. You can question why people do not fly, why people do not just spontaneously combust when they say fap. It's not real therefore, you can just take drugs, think up your own story, and you need not by a book at all.

What a load of BS, I know I should not feed the obvious halfwitted troll but my god....honestly what a croak of shite.

The best thing about books is to invoke the imagination of the reader and transport them to another world, be that an incompetent wizard lost on the streets of Ankh-Morpork, or a soldier stuck behind the enemy lines in 1960 Vietnam it doesn't matter.

Sci-Fi is no more, or no less a worthy genre than fiction, to just disregard one on such flimy reasons make you as open as a locked door.
Kurt Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan Thumbs up

Great honest read, very raw at times. Raises a couple of issues again with Mclaren......and more to the point Ron Dennis.
"How jazz can change your life"....unfortunately, it doesn't change my driving skills...

And this one too...
Most stuff I read is sci-fi. I've usually thought that the genre has probably more to say about modern society than other genres. You only have to look at a book light Neuromancer or Snow Crash to see that one of the jobs of sci-fi is to shape culture- ie, that without this kind of literature we wouldn't be talking to each other right now in the way that we are. This is just one example.

Granted, I don't think I've ever shed a tear while reading a sci-fi book, but the ideas contained therein have had profound effects on me from time to time. And the best works always relate back or have something to say about the world that we're living in now.

PS, the world doesn't work without imagination. Thumbs up
Fiction full stop is pointless. Why do people have to read a book about fiction? It's words that aren't linked to reality, therefore you can demand anything from that book because it's not based on reality, you can demand that the people should fly because it's not earth, and that all cars are blue because that's the only colour people can look at before their eyes bust.

Fiction is an Author righting about lies and people believe them enough to be able to imagine it, if something isn't real, how can you imagine it? It's not a book based on hard fact. Fiction, because it's not real means that each reader, reads the book differently, which means nobodies opinion on the book can ever be the same, because they imagined things differently. What really gets my back up, is when people argue about fictional stories about what was correct and incorrect. It's fiction, so anyone can be right about the book when they've never read it.
Quote from BlueFlame :Fiction full stop is pointless. Why do people have to read a book about fiction? It's words that aren't linked to reality, therefore you can demand anything from that book because it's not based on reality, you can demand that the people should fly because it's not earth, and that all cars are blue because that's the only colour people can look at before their eyes bust.

Fiction is an Author righting about lies and people believe them enough to be able to imagine it, if something isn't real, how can you imagine it? It's not a book based on hard fact. Fiction, because it's not real means that each reader, reads the book differently, which means nobodies opinion on the book can ever be the same, because they imagined things differently. What really gets my back up, is when people argue about fictional stories about what was correct and incorrect. It's fiction, so anyone can be right about the book when they've never read it.

I think you have totally misunderstood the whole concept of story telling.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I think you have totally misunderstood the whole concept of story telling.

I want a story based on fact, based on real lives, and real life stories. There's so many unbelievable things that have happened to individual humans, you don't need to look to Mordor to find an unknown-world.
Quote :Fiction full stop is pointless. Why do people have to read a book about fiction?

I think you've got a pretty strange idea about what's going on (or not) in someone's head when they read a book. Even the most factual account of an event is necessarily going to have an element of fiction in it, by virtue of the fact that once transcribed via the medium of words, it's not the actual event anymore, it's something very different- it's a facsimile, a distortion. Likewise a video tape of an event is a totally different thing from the event itself- and you (sitting on your couch) will experience it in a different way than the people experiencing said event on tape. You're actually having an altogether different experience, totally new in fact. What you're actually doing is engaging with a fiction which is acting as a proxy for a real event.

Quote :Fiction, because it's not real means that each reader, reads the book differently, which means nobodies opinion on the book can ever be the same, because they imagined things differently.

Again, very strange.

You aren't going tell me that everyone reading a factual account of something is going to come away with the exact same thoughts on the event as the next person? I mean... there are 100 people in a room, and something happens... each one of those people will have a slightly different take on what just went down. That's within the first few seconds of an event occurring, experienced by people right there. Now take a book, an historical book about the holocaust, say. Can you really say you know what it was like to witness those events from reading a book? You weren't there. You don't know. You only have an idea of what it was like, however powerful or deeply felt that idea may be. Once again your experience of that event, is going to be a world away from the experience of the person who actually went through it.

You're getting a distortion, a fiction.
Quote from BlueFlame :I want a story based on fact, based on real lives, and real life stories. There's so many unbelievable things that have happened to individual humans, you don't need to look to Mordor to find an unknown-world.

Then read an autobiography that's fine, but to say fiction is not based on facts is showing your ignorance on the whole subject of books and story telling. Sure the named character is not totally true, but the event, locations and attitudes will be based on real life and events.

For example take the Ian Rankin books in the Inspector Rebus series. Sure these cases aren't real, but based on real cases and Psych profiles of criminals, the attitude from the coppers is based on cops stories and such. The streets of Edinburgh in the council estates are based on the real life counter parts and gives the reader an alternative view of Edinburgh that the Scottish Tourist board wants gloss over.

Through the works of fiction, many eyes have been opened to the horrors of war, poverty, racism, health and other issues political and ethical. Just because they don't happen to fully be based on facts and figures does not make them any less worthy.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :but to say fiction is not based on facts is showing your ignorance on the whole subject of books and story telling. Sure the named character is not totally true, but the event, locations and attitudes will be based on real life and events.

So you're saying Star-trek was based on real life? Oh ok, I did not know this.
from Wiki-

"Star Trek: The Original Series addressed issues of the 1960s,[3] just as later spin-offs have reflected issues of their respective decades. Issues depicted in the various series include war and peace, the value of personal loyalty, authoritarianism, imperialism, class warfare, economics, racism, religion, human rights, sexism and feminism, and the role of technology.[4] Roddenberry stated: "[By creating] a new world with new rules, I could make statements about sex, religion, Vietnam, politics, and intercontinental missiles. Indeed, we did make them on Star Trek: we were sending messages and fortunately they all got by the network."

Nod
Quote from BlueFlame :So you're saying Star-trek was based on real life? Oh ok, I did not know this.

Star trek is Sci Fi a sub genre of Fiction granted, but not purely Fiction. Stuff like Rebus is Fiction, helps if you understand somethiing before slaming it Shrug
Quote from Electrik Kar :Even the most factual account of an event is necessarily going to have an element of fiction in it, by virtue of the fact that once transcribed via the medium of words, it's not the actual event anymore, it's something very different- it's a facsimile, a distortion.

I think it is what are you talking about.
Statements are images of a world, not a world itself.

Title below runs: "This is not a pipe"

Even science is a kind of "fictional" story about reality. You have a different ways to describe what's going on around us and fictional literature is one of this ways.
Or as Picasso said - "Art is the lie that tells the truth" Smile

What are you Reading...?
(155 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG