The online racing simulator
We Need More Grip
(93 posts, started )
funny you should mention it

the raceabout has become quite driveable in the last versions. tried it yesterday, in fern black, the most turn heavy track and was pleasantly surprised!

just be more gentle with the controls.
I've just been trying the RAC and yes it's quite twitchy! But when you hit a corner just right it's a joy. It really carves through the turn when it takes a set. Takes a lot of practice to get it right. You also have to be careful to downshift either at low revs or in a very straight line with autoclutch. It likes to grab the rear end a bit on turn-in, kinda like the FBM but more severe.

It's also a drift machine. But drifting with a 270 deg wheel is kinda tough for me. :\
In the RAC you will need a good setup. It's on the same line as the LX cars, they are horrible to controll with standard setup, but pretty driveable with a well made one.
Sim's a sim, there are things in the game that most people dont adjust but is done in real circuit cars like mine.

e.g. air pressure vs dynamic camber, though this game runs on one roll center and not 100% accurate it's light years away from other games. How many people here adjusted their air pressure??? Thought so.

I think that a person that drives his own car around the track appreciates this game more as they look at other means to adjust the handling.
There are a few things missing, caster adjustment, more range of semis RE55s 888's etc and racing tires for other cars, coilovers so the shock never bottoms out(which should add bump steer if not adjusted correctly) and lastly there shouldn't be a middle roll center but two independent roll centers front and rear and the variation on strut types should give another dimension has to own dynamic movement differentiates from the front to rear.

Also I think they should put more tire noises, tires make 9 distinct noises.
To the topic at hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknKy2BJOVQ

I cant say Im an experienced driver... since the most driving/hooning Ive done is with a Subaru Legacy and a mk2 Golf on gravel. However, what Ive gathered is that you do have to correct your steering input depending on how the car is behaving. You COULD hold the same steering lock during the whole corner (or try to do it the same way every time) but then you COULD also drive into a ditch.
I do know that cars get sideways a lot when racing (even go-karts)

> > But i noticed that moment you start getting a wee-bit sideways, it'll just keep getting more sideways.... o.O and if i try to turn a wee bit back the other way, like not even get my steering to point 0, it'll go the other direction... kinda odd...
Most likely cause of that is rotation momentum. It starts turning so it takes more to stop it. Also you can't feel the car rotating physically so there is a hidden surprise to what is going on.
I have had cars (and a truck) sideways in about every road condition. LFS is a little bit off in some areas but it is damn close.
The rear end of a car does come back faster in real life than in LFS. The cars in LFS react more like they are on dirt than pavement (bit more sluggish to react). The tires do not regain grip very fast in LFS, not sure how to explain this one.

If you get a car a little sideways in real life, it does not take much to bring it back and often you don't have to go near wheel center position to correct the problem. (much like LFS)

If you get the car REALLY sideways then you have to react much faster and turn the wheel almost (if not all the way) to opposite lock position. (very scary on ice in a tight roundabout). (much like LFS)

It is easier to react to a real car than it is to react to a simulator where the only thing you can feel is the feedback in the wheel or the car pitch on your monitor.
Quote from skstibi :...

It is easier to react to a real car than it is to react to a simulator where the only thing you can feel is the feedback in the wheel or the car pitch on your monitor.

And sim wheels rotate much slower than real ones.
Quote from Keling :And sim wheels rotate much slower than real ones.

Not the FREX wheel if you have 2000$ to spend on a wheel :P. The G25 is kinda ok too in terms of speed...
Carey: I'm wondering what kind of shit driver you are if you can't correct a car mid corner in NKPro. I'm quite possibly within the 10 shittiest LFS drivers, and even I can at a race pace. Many times even.

I'm also pretty sure (from experience) that you can correct a car if you've entered a corner incorrectly. It's called using a brain and varying your application of Throttle or brake, and changing your steering.

Maybe that's difficult for you, but most normal people can do it quite easily. Maybe about 50,000 or 60,000 LFS drivers can do it. Maybe you're the one or 2 odd balls out because your brain got replaced with pudding or Jello as a child.

I know Frex. But this wheel costs more than a real car ...
#88 - JJ72
Heheheheh true!

I can pay a month of rent by the price of their shifters!
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from skstibi :I have had cars (and a truck) sideways in about every road condition. LFS is a little bit off in some areas but it is damn close.
The rear end of a car does come back faster in real life than in LFS. The cars in LFS react more like they are on dirt than pavement (bit more sluggish to react). The tires do not regain grip very fast in LFS, not sure how to explain this one.

If you get a car a little sideways in real life, it does not take much to bring it back and often you don't have to go near wheel center position to correct the problem. (much like LFS)

If you get the car REALLY sideways then you have to react much faster and turn the wheel almost (if not all the way) to opposite lock position. (very scary on ice in a tight roundabout). (much like LFS)

That depends on the type of tire and it's hot air pressure, it's a lot more complex than what you said and all tires have different characteristics and chassis geometry.
Saying that racing simulators will never be the real thing.
LFS defenatly needs more grip
Quote from Willem-racer :LFS defenatly needs more grip

Good job at reading the rest of the thread and providing real world examples/evidence of why LFS needs more grip to correctly simulate real-world conditions.

I wish everyone came to threads as well prepared with facts, evidence and real world experience as you do. It'd make this world so much better!
Quote from bubbles :That depends on the type of tire and it's hot air pressure, it's a lot more complex than what you said and all tires have different characteristics and chassis geometry.
Saying that racing simulators will never be the real thing.

I tried to keep it simple but you are correct.
Michelin LTX tires are hard compound and take years to wear out and still have lots of grip. (my favorites)
Take some BFG's and they are normally gooey and wear out in about a year or two not to mention that they don't grip as well. They leave some nice dark black marks though

LFS is actually VERY close to some real tires that I have used in the past.

We Need More Grip
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG