The online racing simulator
We Need More Grip
(93 posts, started )
We Need More Grip
There's not enough grip!!!
Especially RAC
Ever heard about understeer?
You may find the next patch a disappointment then.
Quote from IlGuercio :Ever heard about understeer?

Yeah i've heard about it but in Colin McRae DiRT is just enough grip
Quote from Juusom95 :There's not enough grip!!!
I drove BL1 With XRT and I came to the chicane about 100 Kmh and the front tires turned but the car didn't turn almost at all!

You are doing something wrong. Some people have actually reseached this and LFS might actually have too much grip as it is.
Quote from Juusom95 :Yeah i've heard about it but in Colin McRae DiRT is just enough grip

But... that's a rally game, how can you have more grip on gravel in an arcade game, than on tarmac in a racing sim? Check your set up and driving.
#8 - Woz
Quote from Juusom95 :There's not enough grip!!!
Especially RAC

You are being too heavy with you foot on the loud pedal!!!

Quote from Juusom95 :Yeah i've heard about it but in Colin McRae DiRT is just enough grip

LFS is a sim NOT a game. Try Richard Burns Rally and it will show you that Dirt is not too far removed from Mario Carts

To sum up... LFS has too much grip in the tyres. There are issues on how it breaks grip in some situations BUT on the whole it is not that far off.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
LFS probably has the most accurate representation of grip there is TBH, although as already mentioned, the way you lose grip very suddenly sometimes is a little odd, but on the whole if anything, LFS has too much grip in comparison to real life, although the feeling of speed is a hard thing to achieve on a computer simulation, you cant expect a car to turn into a tight corner at 70+ mph and expect it to hold, because it just wont in a realistic situation, simple as.

And the source of this info?? Myself, having driven a lot of vehicles on a lot of different surfaces in all manner of weather conditions, so i know it's about right, if a little strange with the sudden grip loss sometimes.
LFS has too much grip when the tyres are cold and not enough when they're hot. In the middle range it's not too bad. I'm looking forward to seeing this fixed soon enough.

+1 We Need Less Grip.
Quote from carey :What research would that be, playing nK-pro?

Nope. Looking at datalogging of various cars on race tracks, and performance claims for same.

See how much g the XFG BL1 world record holder pulls. Then compare it to a similar sized, massed, tyred car. You will see that LFS has too much grip.

Out of range it does drop - if you let your tyres cool to ambient or get them to 150° they do seem to lose too much grip, but in the temperature range we care about they have too much.
Quote from tristancliffe : See how much g the XFG BL1 world record holder pulls. Then compare it to a similar sized, massed, tyred car. You will see that LFS has too much grip.

Or maybe G meter shows wrong data?
Quote from iFastLT :Or maybe G meter shows wrong data?

No, the tyres in LFS are simply to grippy. Especially the road tyres.
#14 - Woz
Quote from carey :I don’t agree completely about Richard Burns Rally, as the earlier McRae games where pretty good, but DIRT was a piece of crap just created to cater for arcade racers (along with GRID that used the same engine).

RBR is thought of as one of the BEST loose surface simulations. There is nothing really better even in todays sim world for loose surfaces so believe what you want. RBR does get a bit iffy on tarmac though.

For info...The early McRae games used the standard central pivot system that has made most codemasters race titles games and not sims. Its just they used better grip levels than todays titles which cater for people with a 2 second attention span.

Quote from iFastLT :Or maybe G meter shows wrong data?

Or it could just be that your perception of how much grip there should be is just wrong!

Too many people bitch and then when you watch a replay they have recorded they are over driving the tyres then try and corner far far too fast on cooked tyres.

In real life you have G force and fear of injury to temper over driving etc. In sim racing all this is removed which leads to many newer people having poor perception of speed.

In your car in real life get maintain a steady 60mph then drive with one eye closed. This will narrow your field of view and remove depth perception. Everything will look quiet slow now (Good simulation of what you see through the screen in a sim)
You ARE ALL on drugs or something, LFS grip= FAIL=Soap Tires .....enought grip ...lol You do a turn and it slides 6 miles. I agree with more grip
Quote from JRU RACER :You ARE ALL on drugs or something, LFS grip= FAIL=Soap Tires .....enought grip ...lol You do a turn and it slides 6 miles. I agree with more grip

Man stop playing with mouse. Of course you get overheating tyres than. Your not driving properly if you slide 6 miles. Ever tried braking for a turn? Overheating tyres in LFS should have more grip while cold tyres should have less, that´s right. But tyres in LFS have too much grip, especially road tyres. Slicks aren´t much better. But I think you can expect that the tyres in the upcoming patch will have less grip.
Perhaps, if you find yourself on a race track with road tyres one day, you'll appreciate that LFS prepared you for having less grip than you'd expect, even though it is still too much.
All of you who think there's too little grip either have crap setups or lack smoothness, simple as that. You can't expect the vehicle to move in the direction the front wheels point at the very instant you move them there, in fact if you do it in an instant it'll take much longer.

Just gave the XFG on Westhill a go. With smooth inputs I was able to achieve 1.11g at ~38°C (front tyres) and 1.28g on ~50°C using the hard track setup. Sudden and violent steering reduced that to around 0.86g max.

I found (personally) that the grip in DiRT was way way way over exaggerated. You could stop on a dime in the gravel and the cars had grip in the dirt like they were on tarmac or rail-raod tracks :/

I had to download a physics mod for DiRT (realistic car Handling mod) to reduce the grip by about 35% before it started to behave somewhat vaugely like a real car would in the dirt.
Sorry for hijaking this thread, but the one that said LFS is a sim and not a game.. I disagree. Even if it tries to simulate the real life racing it's still a game. I would say it's somewhere between a simulator and a game, but denying it's a game just isn't right, in my eyes.

And lol at the drug reply
I wonder how many who complain about too low grip have ever exceeded all available traction on approach to a corner in real life, gravel or bitchemen I've come close on bitchemen but have had several big moments and written off a car or two on gravel. And I can tell you that when you exceed your traction budget by an appreciable margin it does feel like soap!

Having said that LFS does need attention at lower speeds.
#21 - Woz
Quote from The Very End :Sorry for hijaking this thread, but the one that said LFS is a sim and not a game.. I disagree. Even if it tries to simulate the real life racing it's still a game. I would say it's somewhere between a simulator and a game, but denying it's a game just isn't right, in my eyes.

And lol at the drug reply

It's a good point, I guess the point I was trying to make is that the goal/ideal of LFS is simulation while something like Dirt is an out and out game.

This means in Dirt things like ease of play matter because that is what sell games. Control via d-pad or keyboard matters more than supporting a G25.

In LFS things that go against sim get removed in the end. No options to turn off damage or stop tyre and clutch heat/wear. The old "perfect" keyboard system and credits to unlock stuff was gutted.

Hence why I call LFS a sim not game

BTW: Not bashing games for being games. I have been a gamer since the Commodore PET and love racing games, Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 probably took as much of my life from me as LFS lol
Fair points, but as I mentioned in a other topic I hope they don't go all-out and removing every kind of thing that is seen on as unrealistic. Some things are matter of choise, which only affects you and not the ones that strives for the realism, removing that personal choise is a thing you should be carefull with. Too much limitation, even if it's a simulator might remove the entertaining for a lot of people.

I think it's as you say, some games are meant to be instant-fun entertaining, and most people can master it with a week drive. However, with LFS you need more than a week to master it, and some never masters it.

Might just say LFS is a Simulator game, which tries and strives for giving the most realistic and responsive driving feel out there, while other games focusing on entertaining LFS focuses on perfection and details.
#23 - Woz
Quote from The Very End :.....

I know what you mean. Its one reason (apart from cost) that I didn't join iRacing. It is just too anal with its set race start times etc

Things like CTRA show that people want game like structures even in a sim. It controlled access to content and its ratings system acted like a big highscore table. Was most popular thing in LFS while it was active
It's only a problem of weight I think, cars have so much grip at high speeds, but not enought at slower ones. It has to be more reactive at reduced speeds.
Use brakes + set setup, drive smoothly and u will have enough grip... Yes u can have low grip if u have absolutely wrong cambers + shocks + antirolls + springs + wings + flatten tire...

If u still need more grip u can play NFS with hand brake u can brake on few metres at 250km/h

We Need More Grip
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG