The online racing simulator
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :What? Providing everything is in check, they will be fine. Just done take them through a carwash.

If i was looking for a first car again, i would definetely choose an MX5 over a ZR. A ZR/25 is a nice enough first car, and they handle ok, but an MX5 would knock spots of it, and they handle very well.

Get an MX5!

Unless you wanna dog on regular occasions with a lady freind. Then you would need the ZR...

It's a soft top though, all soft tops leak. Unless I try to find a hard top for it. Only downside to an MX5 is that it's a hairdressers car. Would be nice to have the best handling car made though.

We'll have to see what happens. If I get this new job I've applied for, I should be on £800 a month, so should be able to get a nice first car.

Quote from Bawbag :Silly? Don't be so ignorant, 1.2 with 70bhp is pretty damn good, the only better ones are the corsa 1.2s which do 75 and 80bhp.

For a first car, a damn 1.0 corsa is fast enough, nevermind MX5's, BMW's and ZR's.

Sam, you know a student with an M3, then later you say that MX5's are for people who's mummys and daddys buy them everything...? Ever thought that was the case with Mr M3?

Uhm, no his Mum and Dad didn't pay for it... He's 23 and bought it with his student loan lol.
Quote from jegorchangai :How about a Jeep grand cherokee 5.2 V8 as my first car? I can buy one for 1750 euro's and everything works.
Only disadvantage is how much petrol the thing consumes :P, but I can't see any more disadvantages. It makes a sick noise, its fast, its REALLY comfortable.

Anyone have any advice or a reality check?

You come over to England and try to insure that car for an affordable price for a 17yr old and tell us how you get on.
Quote from sam93 :It's a soft top though, all soft tops leak.

How can I make this any clearer? THEY DO NOT LEAK.

Quote from sam93 :Only downside to an MX5 is that it's a hairdressers car.

Erm... can't argue with that.

Quote from sam93 :Would be nice to have the best handling car made though.

One of them at least.

Quote from sam93 :Uhm, no his Mum and Dad didn't pay for it... He's 23 and bought it with his student loan lol.

And that kids, is how the credit crunch began...
Quote from sam93 :Uhm, no his Mum and Dad didn't pay for it... He's 23 and bought it with his student loan lol.

The student loan comes in two bits - tuition fees (£3k per year ish paid directly to the Uni) and the bit which is meant to pay for your accommodation (mine is set to be £3,300-something per year), all of which you have to pay back. If you spend the accommodation one on an M3, where the hell do you actually live?
Quote from Jakg :The student loan comes in two bits - tuition fees (£3k per year ish paid directly to the Uni) and the bit which is meant to pay for your accommodation (mine is set to be £3,300-something per year), all of which you have to pay back. If you spend the accommodation one on an M3, where the hell do you actually live?

I might have remembered it wrong, I know he is using some of it for his 205 turbo... I think he might have saved some money up, used some of his student loan to buy it.
Quote from Jakg :If you spend the accommodation one on an M3, where the hell do you actually live?

I've heard that the ZR's are meant to crumple like a bitch in a crash :S

Are they pretty safe?
Crumpling != Being bad in a crash.
Quote from Jakg :Crumpling != Being bad in a crash.

No shit Shirlock.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of the same thing.

What ever car I get, it will be staying for a year and then going... Pass Plus and 1yr NCB at 18 should bring my premium down enough.
Quote from sam93 :No shit Shirlock.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of the same thing.

What ever car I get, it will be staying for a year and then going... Pass Plus and 1yr NCB at 18 should bring my premium down enough.

You're not gonna get much help if you ask menial questions and bite peoples heads of when they give the obvious answer you were asking for...
Quote from BlueFlame :You're not gonna get much help if you ask menial questions and bite peoples heads of when they give the obvious answer you were asking for...

I know what crumple means though. I just wanted to know if anyone else heard if they are like sardine cans.
Hmm... :S
Quote from BlueFlame :You're not gonna get much help if you ask menial questions and bite peoples heads of when they give the obvious answer you were asking for...

Quote from sam93 :I've heard that the ZR's are meant to crumple like a bitch in a crash :S

Are they pretty safe?

Wtf, would you preffer that the car had no crumple zones? If so and the car was made completely out of unbreakable materials, sure the car would still hold it's shape, but it wouldn't do any good for you in a body bag!
Obviously I don't want the car to stay solid in a crash. I meant that I've heard from someone that if you're in a crash in one, they crumple badly compared to other cars.
Quote from sam93 :Hmm, £1700 a yr. Still wouldn't get one. For a soft top, you really need a garage as they all bloody leak.

just out of interest how much would the insurance company quote you for a 1.5 diesel kia rio.

I imagine it will be around the £1200 mark. I ain't saying get one. I'm just interested in seeing how much they would rip you off to insure a Kia Rio.
Crumply cars are good, so long as the driver and passenger 'safety cell' part stays intact, as more crumpling means more force of any impact being absorbed by the car, which is obviously good for anyone in the car.
Lol, 1.6 impreza is £1700 a year to insure. But aren't they fwd the 1.6?
Quote from sam93 :Lol, 1.6 impreza is £1700 a year to insure. But aren't they fwd the 1.6?

Yes. Any car enthusiast worth their salt will look at your rear drums and lack of rear diff and laugh at you for trying to impersonate the proper 2.5 4WD version. I love doing it to all the boy racers around here, it's so much fun to see their faces drop
Quote from Jakg :You notice the ride much much less when your actually driving the car and in control.

I hadn't thought about that... and I suppose that is true
Quote from Luke.S :just out of interest how much would the insurance company quote you for a 1.5 diesel kia rio.

I imagine it will be around the £1200 mark. I ain't saying get one. I'm just interested in seeing how much they would rip you off to insure a Kia Rio.

Just done a quote for myself on that car (2005 model) and I got a quote back for £1952 (monthly) or £1807 (outright)

Amended the quote to say I had my licence 1 year with 1 year no claim, it's now quoted £1135/£91.12pm (monthly) or £1,051 (outright)

I'm glad I'm waiting a year with my mums car before I purchase my own... darn rip off >_<
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Yes. Any car enthusiast worth their salt will look at your rear drums and lack of rear diff and laugh at you for trying to impersonate the proper 2.5 4WD version. I love doing it to all the boy racers around here, it's so much fun to see their faces drop

I wouldn't get one anyway. If you can't afford the STI or WRX, you shouldn't own one lol.
Quote from sam93 :Lol, 1.6 impreza is £1700 a year to insure. But aren't they fwd the 1.6?

The Lancer is a saloon, the Evo is the fast one. The Impreza is just a mediocre saloon unless you get the hot 4WD 2 / 2.5L ones.

OT - Car insurance due next month. £1,300...!

EDIT - More depressingly, as of 32 minutes ago, due THIS month
Evo's just rule over Impreza's lol. I went in a friends Ralliart, hard as hell ride, but you can put up with it as it's bloody quick lol.
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG