The online racing simulator
Quote from Furiously-Fast :That is really sad, and I am not even a Massa fan myself. I hope he recovers soon!

After 2 of those sort of accidents, does anyone think open wheelers should have roofs?

Go back to bed.
I dont get the spring, it was standing still in the air.
Maybe it was hanging on something?
Maybe somebody throwd it?
Quote from niall09 :Go back to bed.

A closed cockpit open wheel might actually look pretty cool (like closed cockpit prototypes). But I disagree that it should be standardized
Quote from aroX123 :I dont get the spring, it was standing still in the air.
Maybe it was hanging on something?
Maybe somebody throwd it?

No, it came from the Brawn.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :That is really sad, and I am not even a Massa fan myself. I hope he recovers soon!

What does being a fan of him has to do with that?
Quote from 5haz :Wheels have fallen off cars under normal race conditions due to not being tourqued on properly, as we all know loose wheels are no fun.

Good point but apart from wheels (which are now tethered), can you think of a single incident?
Quote from zeugnimod :What does being a fan of him has to do with that?

Well you don't like Hamilton right? So you'd like to see him making mistakes and crashing I'm sure. He's saying that even tho hes not a fan of Massa, he is feeling bad as IF he WAS a fan of him. So it DOES matter.
Quote from garph :

No, it came from the Brawn.

Yea, but he was miles ahaed how could it still be in the air? Laws of physics failed?
Quote from anttt69 :Good point but apart from wheels (which are now tethered), can you think of a single incident?

what about covered wheels ?

oh yeah, it would be an lmp1

edit: 500th post !
Quote from aroX123 :Yea, but he was miles ahaed how could it still be in the air? Laws of physics failed?

it is a spring, and if you remember the cartoons, springs can bounce... the spring fell of the BrawnGP with about 180kph... with such a speed it can keep on bouncing for a while.
Quote from aroX123 :Yea, but he was miles ahaed how could it still be in the air? Laws of physics failed?

There is video of it, it's already been explained.

Quote from TFalke55 :it is a spring, and if you remember the cartoons, springs can bounce... the spring fell of the BrawnGP with about 180kph... with such a speed it can keep on bouncing for a while.

Wasn't a maleable spring like you see on cartoons. They don't even exist that way, or atleast in Industrial Mechanics I haven't seen springs that loose.

I saw the video that shows the spring pulling out of Barrica's car just once, and don't remember if there was any car in that part that could carry with contact or wind the spring to make it fly again. And remember, the spring pulled out in the start of that "uphill" (edit: I GUESS!), and Massa got hit in the middle of it.
Quote from garph :There is video of it, it's already been explained.

I want to see that video..

Donno where the Brawn was at that moment.. but I think it's highly unlikely the spring was still 'bouncing around' at the moment it hit Massa....
Quote from Sponge :I want to see that video..

Donno where the Brawn was at that moment.. but I think it's highly unlikely the spring was still 'bouncing around' at the moment it hit Massa....

Why not? it can be caught by the updraft and stay suspend for quite a distance given it's inital speed.

It's useless to speculate imo, just wait for official annoucements.
Quote from Reik :Wha? His visor was closed. And I'm pretty sure he didn't hit his steeringwheel. I mean, his HANS didn't break, or did it?

The HANS did its job perfectly. HANS is not only their to minimize the drivers head movement but to decelerate the drivers head movement. All you have to do is compare his head movements to Mika's crash in Adelaide 95.

All the damage done to Massa was striking that object, he probably smacked his face off the front of the helmet with all the energy going through it.

Such a shocking accident to happen only 6 days after Surtees was tragically killed by a stray wheel. Hopefully Massa makes a full recovery and doesn't suffer any long term effects. Mixed stories all over the web, hard to judge what sort of condition he is in

Makes me wander if single seaters should be fitted with ignition kills on heavy impacts. When Surtees hit the barriers, had he not lost a wheel god knows where his car would have gone next. Massa's car was obviously going no where but again his car was bouncing on the rev limiter whilst burried in the tyres.
I've just stumbled across an image of Massa post-accident.
It looks asthough the crash helmet as almost melted in some way. It gave me a sickening feeling when I watched it on TV. All too familiar to the late Henry.

I strongly recommend you only click on the image if you don't find such images offensive.

http://images.gazzetta.it/Her ... /25/0KNCBYRA--300x145.jpg
Quote from MR_B :I've just stumbled across an image of Massa post-accident.
It looks asthough the crash helmet as almost melted in some way. It gave me a sickening feeling when I watched it on TV. All too familiar to the late Henry.

I strongly recommend you only click on the image if you don't find such images offensive.

that image has been posted several times, along with the video.
Quote from MR_B :I've just stumbled across an image of Massa post-accident.

not to be mean.. but that pic was posted at least 2-3 pages ago
Quote from BlueFlame :Well you don't like Hamilton right? So you'd like to see him making mistakes and crashing I'm sure.

WTF

Because I don't like someone I want him to crash? I'm not that sick. :thumbsdow
Quote from zeugnimod :Because I don't like someone I want him to crash? I'm not that sick. :thumbsdow

okay, lets put a twist on that...

instead of "big ass flying into the wall crash"... how about "rear-end some other racer and be forced to pit for new tires, a new wing, etc"

i know i've wanted alonso to lose badly for a while myself...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG