The online racing simulator
Finally updated to the latest version. I have it running smoothly but there is one thing that I can't seem to configure as I want.

I don't want to store any points for now so I have set all the points variables to 0 BUT the Good Lap points won't go away and they are being counted as championship points. What am I missing?
Hello all, esp. EQWorry!

Thank you for this great software!

I have been testing around a bit on a private server and there just came up some questions:

1.) Track Rotation: Is it possible - or will it be possible in future versions - to change mustpit and midracejoin options too? e.g. on very small tracks it is much better to disallow midracejoin, on larger tracks there is no problem with it.

2.) It would be nice to see a kind of list with a comparison of the FREE and the FULL version since I don´t have a webpage I am not interested in some statistical PHP scripts but I have seen some commands on the Airio homepae e.g. that seem not to work in the Free version. So a list of all possible configurations and commands compared between FULL and FREE Version would be nice...

3.) Only for the FULL Version I think it is possible to define ranking and security levels like "beginner", "professional" etc.... Is it possible to define these "Ranks" coloured too? Like a low level security rating in red?
Quote from vicbel :Finally updated to the latest version. I have it running smoothly but there is one thing that I can't seem to configure as I want.

Updating can be tiresome, I know. But unless you need to completely change the structure of the configuration files (which did not happen for some time now and in not planned), it is not as complicated. Changelog now summarizes changes in config files and it is also good idea to get a good file comparing tool such as the PSPad, and compare your current CFG/TCD/SRV files with default files. You'll see all differences, you can copy just the new or changed items, set something and be done with updating in 3 to 5 minutes.

Quote from vicbel :I don't want to store any points for now so I have set all the points variables to 0 BUT the Good Lap points won't go away and they are being counted as championship points. What am I missing?

Use PointsGood=0,0,0.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :Hello all, esp. EQWorry! Thank you for this great software!

Hi and thanks!

Quote from JustForFunRacing :1.) Track Rotation: Is it possible - or will it be possible in future versions - to change mustpit and midracejoin options too? e.g. on very small tracks it is much better to disallow midracejoin, on larger tracks there is no problem with it.

Currently not possible. But I'll put into my TODO list to allow to define any LFS/Airio commands during track rotation.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :2.) It would be nice to see a kind of list with a comparison of the FREE and the FULL version since I don´t have a webpage I am not interested in some statistical PHP scripts but I have seen some commands on the Airio homepae e.g. that seem not to work in the Free version. So a list of all possible configurations and commands compared between FULL and FREE Version would be nice...

The FULL version manual describes some of this, but I'm afraid it is not up-to-date, there have been many changes in the last 4 or 6 months. Also the changelog is good source of information. But you're right, some form of comparison table would be good.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :3.) Only for the FULL Version I think it is possible to define ranking and security levels like "beginner", "professional" etc.... Is it possible to define these "Ranks" coloured too? Like a low level security rating in red?

You're right about the first part and yes about the second part, the ranks/licences/ratings may be defined with colors.
Hi EQWorry!

I discovered a problem:

My personal settings are not saved Neither my settings in shif+i nor any PB, rank or rate...

Any Idea?

Always when I disconnect and reconnect to my server I have to create all my settings again
Hmmm. Are you running a dedicated host? Airio requires that, it handles connection 0 (the host) in a special fashion. It is possible to connect Airio to non-dedicated (graphical) host, but some things would work strangely for that driver and some not at all.

If you're using a dedicated host, then by default drivers' personal options are saved once he reaches at least on one track/car combo required lap time, usually 110 percent of current WR. Only then his record is created and stored in stats, reapplied on next connect.

This is to prevent having lots of people stored that just jumped on your server, did one bad lap and left... If you want to always save everyones' options, set StoreAll in CFG file to true.
Quote :If you're using a dedicated host, then by default drivers' personal options are saved once he reaches at least on one track/car combo required lap time, usually 110 percent of current WR. Only then his record is created and stored in stats, reapplied on next connect.

Yes that was it... I am new to LFS S2 and not that fast... so I turned on the option to save all data

Thank you!
Quote from JustForFunRacing :Yes that was it... I am new to LFS S2 and not that fast... so I turned on the option to save all data Thank you!

Ah, good! You may require slower times for entering stats by using higher value of MaxTime in CFG file. As you have it now, PBs will still start storing only once you get to within 10 percent of WR. That is a reasonable value keeping the stats clear from really bad PBs, still reachable after just a bit of training. The time required for entering stats in certain track/car combo is displayed on lap finishes, if you have improved, but you're still not there . If I'm not mistaken, you can also see the required lap (and approproate split/sector) times using the !target command without parameter.
Airio 2.2.8 is released, bringing again (hopefully) some features you may find useful both as admins/bosses and as drivers/users.
          After some discussion we've come with Franky500 to an arrangement that should offer much faster Airio update option on the 500servers. Now's the time to test it, I'll be forwarding the update the way we agreed on, let's see how it goes.
          Nice one

But there are some Questions / Problems for me:

- The FAQ / Rules / Info in different languages have to be written in ONE line separated with a ++ this makes it complicated to keep a good overview
          - is it possible to localize the Welcome text too? Once a driver is known Airio should know his prefered language...
          - If I buy the FULL version some day... are the !rules, !info and !event commands localizeable too?
          - You added an option to check skins. Where can I specify the skin-name to be checked?
          Quote from JustForFunRacing :- The FAQ / Rules / Info in different languages have to be written in ONE line separated with a ++ this makes it complicated to keep a good overview

Just use the items on separate lines in config, like this:

TextNotes=First line of standard Server Notes...
          TextNotes=Second line of standard Server Notes...
          TextNotes=(more lines)

TextNotes=||GE Erste Linee des standard...
          TextNotes=Zweite Linee...
          TextNotes=(sorry, my lack of German language should be obvious now)

TextNotes=||CZ První řádek standardních...
          TextNotes=Druhý řádek...
          TextNotes=(další řádky)

You'll have a reasonable overview then, I believe.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :- is it possible to localize the Welcome text too? Once a driver is known Airio should know his prefered language...

Currently this is not possible, but I plan to add this soon, also to all other items defining some text to be shown.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :- If I buy the FULL version some day... are the !rules, !info and !event commands localizeable too?

The above point applies here.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :- You added an option to check skins. Where can I specify the skin-name to be checked?

Currently items defined as PName in CFG file are used. I'm not sure creating new PSkin key is necessary now, but if it turns out it is really not possible to use for nicknames and skin names the same definitions, it is always an option.
          Ah... great that works

But I discovered an other little localisation thing:

The German (and other languages too) shif+i menu is showing a lot of English buttons now... Is it possible to translate them?
          Quote from JustForFunRacing :The German (and other languages too) shif+i menu is showing a lot of English buttons now... Is it possible to translate them?

Uhm, yes, version 2.2.8 has some updated button texts, items not yet localized. I'll be sending the new items to the translators in one or two days, and then I'll update the language files...

In case you want to do it yourself, take the current Airio.msg.ge.txt file, add the items from the file appended to this post, translate them, save the file, type !rld, check the buttons...
          Attached files
          _.en.txt - 984 B - 267 views
          Hi, i have a problem: I saved some correct hotlap in LFS Desktop but in some tracks i can't run because i have insufficient pb !But my hotlap are best than pb limit !What's happen?
          Sorry for my bad english !!
          Airio currently does not download/use hotlap (uploaded replay) times, only the more readily available online recorded lap times, LFS World lap times. If you find Airio server using time lock, just jump to another server allowing the same track/car combination (or create your own server), and make necessary lap time there.

Still, it is a good point, I'll try to implement hotlap downloads, because they are in fact more reliable than online LFSW lap times. Airio setup should then allow to specify which time can be used.
          Improved "Allowed Limad Actions":

I was wondering if it´s possible to setup some "virtual limad5"-rule...
          Just to check that limad4/admins are not allowed to do some "stupid" things by misstake. Same rules for everyone.

For example: At the moment AIRIO can´t send limad4/admins to spec after idling on track. limad4/admins are allowed to drive cars without the proper restriction without a warning...etc.

Sometimes I´d like to race by myself too, and the last thing I want is to break my own rules (by misstake).
          No probs, just put number 5 after the actions that no one should be allowed to do. Admins are virtual limads 4, entering 5 there will disable that option for them as well.

But to say the truth, I'm not absolutely sure this would be functional on all checks, some may still be bound directly to admin status. I'll try to go through code and make sure the admin status is used only when really necessary.

EDIT: OK, I checked, the admin status is really used only in allowing special commands (such as the dangerous stats manipulation), not in joining and other checks. So using the number 5 (or higher) should really be effective.

Also Airio 2.2.9 (not yet released) implements hotlap table downloads, with the better time of online/hotlap data used as LFSW PB e.g. in time lock.
          Hello!

I am planning to open a demo server soon on my home computer.

As I can see Airio seems to "phone home" to be listed in the list of Servers using Airio.

I am very concerned about software phoning home... A friend told me that he recently used a modified Lapper version with some extras the normal Lapper does not have. But one of these "extras" was sending some unwanted data like the Admin pass, some statistics etc...

So I really fear to install a software I really don´t know what it is sending to whom.

Could you clearly describe what Airio exactly is sending to whom and perhaps make this part of the code public to prove it? Or is it possible to turn off that phoning home for privacy reasons?
          Hi! Yes, security is a valid concern, no doubt. Publishing parts of code used for external communication is really of no use to you though, because you never can say if something was omitted from the list or such. So I'll describe what communication is happening.

1) The primary communication is of course between Airio and the LFS server (local or remote). Here all data flow from first establishing connection to server and then from processing all events (car positions, split/lap times, races starting, people connecting) as they are reported via InSim packets, and responding to this by sending request packets (commands, settings). This communication is necessary, it may over time represent significant data flow, and for this reason it is best to keep it local (one PC with both Airio and the LFS server).

2) If a PubStat key is provided, there'll be communication with the LFS World site. World Recodrd table will be updated every hour, which is important because many calculations depend on current WRs. Still, external WR table may be used and communicating with LFSW is not required. But if it is allowed, for each driver his online PBs (and newly also hotlaps) are downloaded and used in some parts of the application (e.g. as a time comparison base). This communication is not required, but it does not repesent large amounts of data and except your generated PubStat key no sensitive data are being sent away. In response Airio gets text/number tables with split/lap times from the LFSW site.

3) You'll be probably most concerned about the last communication type used to gather global Airio usage stats as shown on this page and used also in !ver output. In newer Airio versions this communication cannot be disabled. Basically, every minute Airio sends to my server data about all servers it is connected to. These are the following: Server name, track name, cars being currently used, current number of connections and drivers, basic server state (race or quali, midjoin, reset status, ...) and usernames of all currently connected people. This happens once a minute and usually less that 1 KB is sent, not a significant load. In response Airio gets total number of instance, servers, connections and drivers (cars on track).

That's it, at least what concerns the FREE version. In FULL there may be also communication with external FTP server and an IRC channel. Well, I guess it would be from your part a question of trust to believe my statement that Airio has no backdoor/hidden communication allowing me (or anyone else) to see your server password, it is never sent anywhere except when establishing initial connection to server. Really, I'd have no use for about 150 server passwords, and when that kind of cheating would be discovered it would just kill everything I'm trying to achive with this application.

If you want to make absolutely sure, I suggest you install some network sniffer and let it output everyting going externally from Airio (LFSW downloads and global stats updates) or coming back to it. Maybe you'll sleep better then.
          Quote from EQ Worry :...OK, I checked, the admin status is really used only in allowing special commands (such as the dangerous stats manipulation), not in joining and other checks. So using the number 5 (or higher) should really be effective...

Confirmed, tested with idling on track, wrong/non restrictions, lagging, autogears, etc.. worked like a charm. Thx alot

About version 2.2.8: (The "last raced on" message is again shown with every new connection.) ...That´s nice, but, honestly, who cares..?
          In my opinion it´s a step back. The previous version was more comfortable/informative for admins and drivers. That´s the main reason why we haven´t updated LR-servers to 2.2.8.

For example:
          Rank @ yourserver - yourname : Rookie
          Jul 07 01:29:38 LFSW PB @ FE3+XFG - yourname : 2:09.73

..this clearly shows, that he´s relative new and his pb is quit bad compared to others. In other words: "hey admin, please keep an eye on him" ...or from a drivers sight "OMG, he will certainly suck on track, lets try to stay away from him"...

What about having some sort of switch to choose from both methods...maybe possible in AIRIO-setup (shift+i)...?
          Hm, the "last raced on" message isn't as bad in fact. Most existing Airios (all FREE and some FULL) do not have ranks allowed/defined, and when someone connects, you see nothing. This messages says that this drivers is not on your server for the first time or how long it is since his last visit. No message in that case means the driver is new and you may expect him trying to join race in wrong types of cars, with insufficient restrictions, bad tyres, passengers, anything you do not allow...

But naturaly this message, just like all other types of user messages, can be turned off in personal preferences. It is part of "General info" settings, which currently covers also race restart/end notice, timelock status change, track change info, pitstop data, and custom/standard car message. (Well, seeing this bunch of strange data I would make the button multi purpose, turning on/off general and race info to allow more detailed customization.)

Basically I believe 2.2.8 cannot be a step back. Everyone has 5 more customization options, allowing him to display e.g. LFSW/server/both/none PB of every new connection/improvement. This level of selection was not possible earlier, it was just LFSW or nothing. The same with points and ranks, licences and safety ratings, good/best splits and sectors (!). Holding on to 2.2.7 means you're giving less than you can to your drivers.
          Airio 2.2.9 is released, packed with things added in the last few days:
                    Enjoy, I'll be sending the update to 500servers owner in a short while so that any clients there have it available soon enough.
                    Quote from EQ Worry :Airio 2.2.9 is released, packed with things added in the last few days:
                    • All items defining some user text in SRV file are now localizable, meaning multiple languages may be defined and shown selectively to drivers.
                    • Airio may now optionally download also hotlap (uploaded) lap times for everyone, choosing the better from hotlap and online.
                    • Additional customization allows to everyone to define separately general and race information being displayed.
                    • In a similar way way LFSW (or hotlap) and server PBs may be displayed in any combination.
                    • FULL version has very interesting and long called-for addition, custom banning system. If active, all bans done using the !ban command and all other online bans (while the banned driver is connected) are converted into an Airio ban. The banned name is put on a list with additional data - when the ban happened, how long it is, who did the ban, and optionally what was the reason. Banned driver can still connect, but he is immediatelly kicked with the message when his ban ends (in UTC day/time) and optionally what was the reason (good for longer bans). To prevent endless connecting/kicking, an Airio-banned name will be LFS-banned for a short period after 3rd connect.
                    Enjoy, I'll be sending the update to 500servers owner in a short while so that any clients there have it available soon enough.

That's bloody awesome Then we don't get the topics where people ask how long their ban lasts anymore
                    I would say it has some potential, yes. But just like with everything completely new it is necessary to test the feature extensively and see if it covers all the conditions and is in fact useful to admins (because they get much better overview of currently active bans) and users (because they know up to one minute when the server will open for them again). Of course bug reports and improvement suggestions are more than welcome.
                    Hi!

thanks for the update I am currently working on my update for the config.

I have one question regarding the localisation:

Do you mean that I can EVERY custom text in different languages? I mean
                    • UsersMotd
                    • AdminMotd
                    • LimadMotd
                    • TimedMotd
                    • RestartMsg
                    • RstartBtn
                    • ButtnMotd
                    • Info, Rule and Event Messages once I get the FULL version??
                    Would be wonderful - but lots of work though
                    Yes, you can. An example multi-line definition looks like this:

UsersMotd=^3Welcome
                    UsersMotd=+^7to my server!
                    UsersMotd=+||GE ^3Wilcommen
                    UsersMotd=+^7auf mein server!
                    UsersMotd=+||IT ^3Benvenuto
                    UsersMotd=+^7a mio server!
                    UsersMotd=+||FR ^3Bienvenue
                    UsersMotd=+^7à mon server!

The above can be also specified this way:

UsersMotd=^3Welcome++^7to my server!
                    UsersMotd=+||GE ^3Wilcommen++^7auf mein server!
                    UsersMotd=+||IT ^3Benvenuto++^7a mio server!
                    UsersMotd=+||FR ^3Bienvenue++^7à mon server!

Or even this way:

UsersMotd=^3Welcome++^7to my server!++||GE ^3Wilcommen++^7auf mein server!++||IT ^3Benvenuto++^7a mio server!++||FR ^3Bienvenue++^7à mon server!

Note you can use any language-special characters, as long as they are in LFS European languages. With Asian characters it is not easily possible.

The above can be applied to all the textual items you mention and people selecting their user language once will then receive localized custom messages/buttons.

Note however the FR in the example would not be functional in fact, until Airio has FR localization available and people can select that language in their preferences.

If some text does not contain certain user language localization, the first version is shown, which should be English in most cases as the most widely used choice.

A final note: Deep apologies to Germans, Italians, and French in case I got the welcome message in the example completely wrong.

One more final note: Yes, it will be some work to create that many localizations. But the update is easy - you make new/extended definition, type !rld, select new user language in preferences and see the results (e.g. race start buttons).

Final final note: To keep server definition file at reasonable size and to get better overview of all textual items, you may put the IncludeFile key to use. You may create a separate TXT file containing only messages/buttons (by cutting them from main SRV file), link this file to the main one and do all localizations there. That way the messages would not be mingled with filter settings and other values of completely different purpose.

AIRIO - Advanced LFS Tracker
                    (2384 posts, started )
                    FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG