The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Well, it doens't really take that much of a hit to do serious damage to cars in real life either, and very often the 'slight brushes' are harder than you think. But admittedly, the damage model needs work, no denying that!
That's what the licence system is here for, it automatically weeds out drivers who are not able to drive safely and prevents them from getting into higher series. There's no resets either, which means crashing out will completely destroy your SR since you won't be able to reset and then cruise around trying to get laps in for lowering "corners per incident" ratio for that race.

Reckless driving and/or dangerous driving can also be protested and I'd highly encourage you to do so.
Quote from Crommi :That's what the licence system is here for, it automatically weeds out drivers who are not able to drive safely and prevents them from getting into higher series. There's no resets either, which means crashing out will completely destroy your SR since you won't be able to reset and then cruise around trying to get laps in for lowering "corners per incident" ratio for that race.

Reckless driving and/or dangerous driving can also be protested and I'd highly encourage you to do so.

Just checked out your last MAZDA race. That's a really strong field you had there with many of the top people in it
In LFS you can always choose another server, but here you're stuck with what's there. I guess one could cruise around the track for the whole race, to improve the rating, but that defies the whole meaning of racing.

Regarding the damaging - I was pretty sure there would be some sort of repair. The first time I was in an accident, I nursed the car around the track and parked in a free pit box, like you would in LFS. Stood there for a while, but nothing happened. So I did a reset, but you only have 1 of those, right? Then someone said you have to stop in the pitbox where the guy holding a stick is. So the next time I was in an accident, I nursed the car around again, pitted in the box in front of the guy with a stick. But again, nothing happened. And no more resets, so race over.

I really like how the cars handles, compared to LFS. They feel much more like what a rwd car handles in real life, than the rwd cars in LFS. But there's still things LFS is tons better at, like pickup racing and website. LFS World is a masterpiece compared to the confusing stuff at iRacing. I haven't even figured out how to check if someone on your friends list is online and where. Some sort of "XXX has signed up for race x at x time" would be nice.

One more thing, I only see smoke from my own car when locking up the brakes, never seen any smoke from someone else. It's supposed to be like that? Or maybe everyone else just do perfect braking?
Got the same thing too.. i think that you can see only own braking and skidmarks, you cant even see other driver moving wheel while looking at replays LFS has those features, which is a good thing..
Quote from arco :I haven't even figured out how to check if someone on your friends list is online and where. Some sort of "XXX has signed up for race x at x time" would be nice.

One more thing, I only see smoke from my own car when locking up the brakes, never seen any smoke from someone else. It's supposed to be like that? Or maybe everyone else just do perfect braking?

At the moment there's no way to check who is online. Smoke from other cars also isn't visible yet.

But yeah, damage isn't repairable except by one available reset per race in the lowest classes (rookie and D). Even though dozens of people seem to crave for repairs in the forums, it would be useless anyway since there's really no repairable damage even modeled. If and when damage will affect aerodynamics, repairs will be more important.
Quote from arco :Not too impressed with the online racing so far. People going off track and backing out to the middle of the track while you're coming around a bend, with no chance of avoiding a hit. Happened 3 times the last 2 races I did. And the typical T1 carnage is there as well. Further more, is the Solstice made of paper? Touching another car in like 5km/h totally screws the suspension. And ffs, no repairs when pitting?

Well said , all these things really need fixing before iracing can rival LFS for quality fun racing. They say their system does not attribute blame, well it dam well should . I mean how difficult is it for the software to figure out who is pointing in the correct direction & traveling forwards. It could easily attribute blame in a lot of collisions.

Also the damage on the solstice is just bloody stupid, it feels like the body is made out of paper & the wishbones, axels, & suspension are made from lollipop sticks. The lightest of contact & it just crumbles.

I was pleased to see they announced Brands & Oulton being added but until they can improve the damage engine & the way penalty points are given out I doubt i will be going back. (i might be temped by the jetta though)
According to Mr. Jason Lovett the Solstice's chassis is made out of cheese, really soft cheese
Quote from anttt69 :Also the damage on the solstice is just bloody stupid, it feels like the body is made out of paper & the wishbones, axels, & suspension are made from lollipop sticks. The lightest of contact & it just crumbles

I have found that even the open wheel cars can withstand some bumping as long as wheels don't touch. Next time you crash, try to figure out from the replay the real speed difference between the car and the object it collides with. A 30 km/h crash already does a lot of damage in real life while it seems like a walking pace in the game.
sometimes if you just brush against another car in iracing, there will be quite a bit of cosmetic damage done at least.
Quote from Gabkicks :sometimes if you just brush against another car in iracing, there will be quite a bit of cosmetic damage done at least.

Yeah, I agree it is slightly overdone, but not by much from my experience. Probably netcode-related issues sometimes exaggerate the results of contact.
Quote from EliteAti :Got the same thing too.. i think that you can see only own braking and skidmarks, you cant even see other driver moving wheel while looking at replays LFS has those features, which is a good thing..

I also noticed in the replays, that the other cars sounds totally different from your own. Weird...
iRacing doesn't seem to want to fix any of those issues though, all we need is MORE CONTENT
Quote from UncleBenny :iRacing doesn't seem to want to fix any of those issues though, all we need is MORE CONTENT

The number of subscribers is increasing steadily, though. So from a business point of view, it seems their strategy is working pretty well. But yeah, I think they'd do themselves a disfavour if they ignore the most blatant problems for much longer.
Quote from Gnomie :The number of subscribers is increasing steadily, though. So from a business point of view, it seems their strategy is working pretty well. But yeah, I think they'd do themselves a disfavour if they ignore the most blatant problems for much longer.

i think they are doing a good job to keep updates coming as fast as they are..... if you think where they were a year ago, its excellent the difference now. However, I do think some more big changes should come soon rather than MORE content.....
Had a much better race just now. Pole position, no incidents, won by 22 seconds to 2nd guy and lapped everyone but 2 drivers.
Quote from arco :Had a much better race just now. Pole position, no incidents, won by 22 seconds to 2nd guy and lapped everyone but 2 drivers.

God job
i am so missing Iracing but i've got a shoulder injury so i'm leaving well alone for another week or so as i can't stand not having the FF on

still it has got me playing cod 4 again so not all bad
Quote from arco :Had a much better race just now. Pole position, no incidents, won by 22 seconds to 2nd guy and lapped everyone but 2 drivers.

Ok, so here's probably where the mindset of many LFS'ers differ from iRacers. See, I'd rather be in a hard battle for 7th place for 22 laps than lap all but two and win by a mile.
Not my fault the others was that much slower, and no, I'm not gonna slow down when I'm in the lead.
I guess I'll meet more competitive fields eventually.
Quote from atledreier :Ok, so here's probably where the mindset of many LFS'ers differ from iRacers. See, I'd rather be in a hard battle for 7th place for 22 laps than lap all but two and win by a mile.

but I'd rather be able to take part in a complete race (more races than not) than be taken out on T1 my muppets....... which happens a lot more in LFS than in iRacing...

too many T1 collisions in LFS. Of course they happen in iRacing too but certainly less.
Quote from arco :Not my fault the others was that much slower, and no, I'm not gonna slow down when I'm in the lead.
I guess I'll meet more competitive fields eventually.

Exactly. My first 10-15 races were pretty easy and i generally drove away from the field. Once you build a decent irating it all gets a lot more competitive as you get grouped with drivers of the same ability. The action really starts to hot up I'm really enjoying the races now they are a lot tougher.
Quote from The Moose :Exactly. My first 10-15 races were pretty easy and i generally drove away from the field. Once you build a decent irating it all gets a lot more competitive as you get grouped with drivers of the same ability. The action really starts to hot up I'm really enjoying the races now they are a lot tougher.

yeah, I bet you're one of those 1.39 freaks on VIR North
Quote from StableX :yeah, I bet you're one of those 1.39 freaks on VIR North

My best is a 1.39.600.
Quote from UncleBenny :iRacing doesn't seem to want to fix any of those issues though, all we need is MORE CONTENT

Not sure we need MORE CONTENT. It would be nice if we lesser mortals got to use some of the content already there. For example: Barber,(3 layouts) Silverstone,(5 layouts!) Road Atlanta,(3 layouts) Daytona, Road America(2 layouts) and Watkins Glen.(4 layouts) I've not seen these used in Skip Barber or anything else except hotshot series. Guess I'll just have to become a hotshot. They really ought to show a little imagination as far as track selection is concerned.
A never ending succession of Lime Rock, Summit Vaginia and Laguna Seca is getting a little tedious.

IMO.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG