The online racing simulator
Self defense - help please
(67 posts, started )
Street Fighter 4.
Quote from oli17 :also, didn't bruce lee invent his own style? see if you can do that.

Bruce Lee invented Jeet Kune Do, which is basically the art of using whatever works. Some people like to dress it as some kind of super-awesome martial arts thing, but it's not. Bruce Lee was an advocate of learning as much as you can, throwing out the stuff that doesn't work for you, and keeping the stuff that works.

One thing of note: Bruce Lee was an actor. His martial arts expertise and ability is highly debatable.
Quote from samjh :One thing of note: Bruce Lee was an actor. His martial arts expertise and ability is highly debatable.

Well you could say that if you want, but here's a tale lifted directly off wiki...

Quote from Wikipedia the Almighty :
Lee's celebrity and martial arts prowess often put him on a collision course with a number of street thugs, stunt men and martial arts extras, all hoping to make a name for themselves. Lee typically defused such challenges without fighting, but felt forced to respond to several persistent individuals.
Bob Wall, USPK karate champion and co-star in Enter the Dragon, recalled a particularly serious encounter that transpired after a film extra kept taunting Lee. The extra yelled that Lee was "a movie star, not a martial artist," that he "wasn't much of a fighter." Lee answered his taunts by asking him to jump down from the wall he was sitting on. Bob Wall described Lee's opponent as "a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong," a "damned good martial artist," and observed that he was fast, strong, and bigger than Bruce.[27]
Wall recalled the confrontation in detail:
"This kid was good. He was strong and fast, and he was really trying to punch Bruce's brains in. But Bruce just methodically took him apart."[28] "Bruce kept moving so well, this kid couldn't touch him...Then all of a sudden, Bruce got him and rammed his ass with the wall and swept him up, proceeding to drop him and plant his knee into his opponent's chest, locked his arm out straight, and nailed him in the face repeatedly."[29]
After his victory, Lee gave his opponent lessons on how to improve his fighting skills. His opponent, now impressed, would later say to Lee, "You really are a master of the martial arts."[28]

Quote from samjh :One thing of note: Bruce Lee was an actor. His martial arts expertise and ability is highly debatable.

Bruce Lee yes was an actor, but he was also a very good martial artist. Hopefully soon I may get the chance to know more about him from someone who knew him personally, that person is Dan Inosanto. He visits Plymouth now and again as he is friends with the guy who owns the martial arts academy I use to train at, which hopefully I am going back to lol.

People think Bruce Lee was over rated and not a good martial artist in my opinion he was a good martial artist and why people actually look up to him as an idol. His fitness was at a very high level, he had a lot of strength, stamina and a lot of speed.

Oh one other thing, Bruce Lee if he was still alive could wipe the floor with Chuck Norris

Bruce Lee will remain in history forever. He was one of the best, if not the best in my book. He will take some beating.

Breadman: If you don't know what Martial Art to do, why not do MMA - Mixed Martial Arts. As the name suggests, it puts a multiple of martial arts together, what I mainly use to do was MMA, and I have to say, it is very good and will teach you self defence but it is also a combat sport, for example UFC is MMA.

When I go back I am hoping to start to learn Grappling and BJJ as my main sports, may also throw a bit of Karate and Kickboxing in also as the MMA I use to do was kickboxing based really.
#31 - STF
Imo if you master aikido, physically and mentally, you don't need anything else.
Quote from breadfan :Hi,

I am a skinny guy (180cm, 65kg) and although I don't have any problems with bullys nor any conflicts, I can still appear in a situation where I'd need to fight my way out.

I've bee thinking about starting to learn some form of fighting for self defense for some time now, however I don't know which "style" to choose. I've heard that Krav Maga was specifically developed for such situations (hand to hand, disarming, hostage situations etc.). Then there is kick boxing (very popular here in Bratislava). I've always seen this more as a sport than as a self defense method, although you could still kick some serious ass on the street with kickboxing. Regular boxing and wrestling (not the WWE stuff) are also to consider but not as much.

I can't think of other fighting styles right now. However, I'd like you to help me choose one, that is first of all effective, doesn't have to be very fancy and acrobatic and doesn't require a big and strong person (even though I am working on that - gym, weights, food and so on).

Mainly please post some pros and cons of Krav Maga if you have any personal experience with it. Thank you very much in advance

-avoid these situations
-if there are more of them -> run
-you can get yourself a knife or something, but please NEVER put it out first
-best practice of fighting you'll get from fighting
-what i prefer for self defense is russian SYSTEMA (search the youtube)
but usually these arts are useless...hit the nose hard first and guy won't stand up...but not very hard or he won't stand up ever
also remember to get as angry as possible, so you get your adrenalin high, that will help you to be stronger and if you get hit, it won't hurt so much...or your wounds won't bleed and being angry is also a "mental" attack, if you're going to hit first while being angry, other guy can be scared a bit which gives you an advantage of making surprising attack...but don't fight unless it's the only way...
Quote from Osco :practice on a well placed kick in the (attackers) nuts and the 100 meter sprint. Should get you out of most situations

Best advice in this thread!
I'm doing MMA- freefight for 3 month's and its quite helpfull. You will learn alot of tricks etc. Don't worry about the freefight, you could just train the trick instead of fight with other members there.

Btw, its not only a selfdefence at MMA if you know what I mean.
Quote from Osco :practice on a well placed kick in the (attackers) nuts and the 100 meter sprint. Should get you out of most situations

Well, at least someone has some sense..

Start fighting with a would be attacker and you'll most likely get your arse kicked. Simple run away technique is better and best of all you don't need any training!
From my personal experience, if I may proffer some advise:

In intimidation situations i've never yet experienced anyone threatening to hit me actually follow through with it. People who intend to hit you just will and wont bother explaining in detail what they plan to do.

Therefore, if threatened with violence, it's usually a sure bet that the situation is a lot less dangerous then it feels and you can negotiate out of it. The words "or i'll kick your <random swearword> head in" usually means you are safe. Barkers don't bite - the key here is to listen for threats (don't mistake escalating hostility as a threat).

The same is true with weapons, The times i've been attacked with weapons are the times the weapons where used at the point of draw. Any weapon brandished and not immediately used is being waved about for intimidation, people intmidating you are trying not to fight you and are easily beaten with diplomacy or a clip round the ear.

When violence comes it is usually fast, agressive, and with little negotiation.

The conclusion I draw from this is that the ability to fight is not nearly as important on the street as it at first might seem when you start out in life, the only times you will ever end up fighting in your life is when you have already exercised an error in judgement, or when defending others.

If you've any sense at all, when you do end up in a fight you'll only fight long enough to make your get away. There is no winning in fights, and the longer a fight goes on for the more chance you have of collecting an injury - and believe me when I say some of them take a long while to recover from.
Quote from Becky Rose :There is no winning in fights, and the longer a fight goes on for the more chance you have of collecting an injury - and believe me when I say some of them take a long while to recover from.

judo.

a shoulder-throw followed by a severe arm-bar (make sure you rip some tendons or pop the elbow joint) should make anyone get lost...
Quote from bunder9999 :a shoulder-throw followed by a severe arm-bar (make sure you rip some tendons or pop the elbow joint) should make anyone get lost...

That, is what I would classify as a bark. Can I ask how many tendons you've actually ripped?

Me, i've busted lots of people [in my youth], and i'll say this much too - I never warned any of them and I never fought fair. I don't hold with fair fights because I always loose.
Quote from Becky Rose :That, is what I would classify as a bark. Can I ask how many tendons you've actually ripped?

Me, i've busted lots of people [in my youth], and i'll say this much too - I never warned any of them and I never fought fair. I don't hold with fair fights because I always loose.

can't say i've had to do it... i almost had someone do it to me though, because they didn't know my arms don't straighten fully.

at any rate, judo is great exercise and good training.
Quote from bunder9999 :at any rate, judo is great exercise and good training.

Plus doing ground work against a girl you get to rip open her top and has peeksies! Oh yus, happy memories of accidental flashings come back nao, and then they come back for more! I am willing to teach the technique for 20 smokes and a half bottle of gin kk
Quote from ColeusRattus (among others) :Jeet Kune Do.

At uni I have a few friends who did Jeet Kune Do (including a guy from China who knew who'd been doing martial arts since he could pretty much walk and knew, well, I don't know how many but 'lots' ) and they all spoke very highly of it.
Im with becky on this one, if someone is standing there saying that they are gonna thump you, then they have just fked up bigtime, as they would have been much better off just clumping you one with no questions asked, now they have told you about it, 9 times out of 10 they won't do it. All bark, and no bite.

The only times i have been hit were when there were no words exchanged, just a surprise whack, without warning, the element of surprise is the key.

The other thing is with people who fight, its all for respect or some other kind of thing where the person doing the fighting wants to be idolised, or look cool or tough or whatever.

In my younger, and stupider days when involved in scraps, i wouldnt leave things, as i would want to go for a knockout on the opponent, or at least put him on the floor, especially if i didnt start it, which sometimes worked, bu this would usually result in me either, getting a bigger pasting than if i had just left it, or getting arrested, so there really are no winners TBH.

Best advice, get well out of the way if you have a reasonable inkling that there will be violence against you
Quote from Becky Rose :Plus doing ground work against a girl you get to rip open her top and has peeksies! Oh yus, happy memories of accidental flashings come back nao, and then they come back for more!

Quote from Becky Rose :In intimidation situations i've never yet experienced anyone threatening to hit me actually follow through with it. People who intend to hit you just will and wont bother explaining in detail what they plan to do.

That's generally true, but not always. I've seen someone literally get their ass kicked after ignoring a threat and not facing up to the trouble-maker. Best to keep alert regardless of impressions, especially when alcohol or other mind-altering substances are involved.

or if that fails....

I'm going with Baterryyyyy's solution

or mine
ruuuuuuuuuuuuun

Self defense - help please
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG