The online racing simulator
I think its an idiot with and bad teeth and the sense of humor of an 11yr old.

Big difference between bad taste and poor judgment and racism.
That guy IS an idiot, and Mosley and friends should be better getting proper rules for 2010 before half of the field leaves
Quote from richo :I think its an idiot with and bad teeth and the sense of humor of an 11yr old.

The chaps around him jumping up and down and cheering with him didn't help the matter.
#229 - col
Quote from richo :I think its an idiot with and bad teeth and the sense of humor of an 11yr old.

Yes, there is a big difference:
I could gate crash a funeral wearing a clown suit and sing the chicken song. Bad taste and poor judgement, but not racist.

BUT they are not mutually exclusive:
That guy at the grand prix was displaying very bad taste and poor judgement and at the same time he was being racist.

Col
Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

While we agree that guy's sense of humour is retarded, I still can't see any racism. He wasnt making fun because Hamilton is black, he was messing up with his inability to push the right button, no white power trash in that pic.
Quote from BurnOut69 :Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

While we agree that guy's sense of humour is retarded, I still can't see any racism. He wasnt making fun because Hamilton is black, he was messing up with his inability to push the right button, no white power trash in that pic.

It's like talking to walls, tbh.
#232 - col
Quote from BurnOut69 :Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

#The fan was intent on ridiculing Hamilton. (everyone seems to agree on this, apart from the few idiots who try to suggest he is a Hamilton fan?!)
#To ridicule a person you would normally try to select an attribute of that person that you perceive as worthy of ridicule.
#That fan chose skin colour as an attribute of Hamilton that was to him, worthy of ridicule.

That last part fits with your definition - normally something is chosen as a target for ridicule because it is percieved as inferior in some way.

What that says about that fan whether he realises it or not is that he believes that hamiltons skin colour is worthy of ridicule. It also suggests that the same belief is shared by a reasonalby large number of his peers, or he wouldn't be so public about his expression of this belief.

It doesn't matter what his personal reasons for targeting Hamilton were. What matters is that the feature of Hamilton he chose to target was race.

Its got nothing to do with Political Correctness either as many folk here seem to be suggesting.
PC is all about what should or shouldn't be acceptable. I'm not arguing about whether what this guy did is acceptable or not (I don't think it is BTW) I'm arguing that it can be correctly defined as racism.

Col
Quote from col :That fan chose skin colour as an attribute of Hamilton that was to him, worthy of ridicule.

no he chose hamiltons inability to press the right buttons to ridicule him
based on the evidence if you can even call a 5 second clip on the bbc evidence all you can clearly say that he was impersonating hamilton which may just as well have been the entire reason for the make up and you cant discuss away that the make up is very effective at making clear the hand on wheel gesture is aimes at hamilton instead of kovalainen

everything else is just you projecting either your exaggerated politcal correctness or your own feelings against different races

heck with hamiltons previous comments on backmarkers and his current grid positions you could probably portrait him as a monkey (at the back) without offering any proof of irrefutable racism
i cant believe how in denial and out of touch with reality people are. col explained it as it is, + dwb's link. yet its not racist? especially as its already been done and labelled as racist.
Quote from col :#That fan chose skin colour as an attribute of Hamilton that was to him, worthy of ridicule.

No, he chose him wrongly pushing a button on his wheel as the action of Hamilton that was to him (and many others) worthy of ridicule.

It just happens that Hamilton is the only driver on the grid with a dark skin colour so he chose this thing which distinguishes Hamilton visually from the other drivers to let people know that he wants to portray Hamilton.

Again: It's stupid but not racist.
i see your chosing to ignore DWB's link and the fact that it's been done and already criticised for being a racist act. ok...
#237 - col
Quote from zeugnimod :No, he chose him wrongly pushing a button on his wheel as the action of Hamilton that was to him (and many others) worthy of ridicule.

It just happens that Hamilton is the only driver on the grid with a dark skin colour so he chose this thing which distinguishes Hamilton visually from the other drivers to let people know that he wants to portray Hamilton.

Again: It's stupid but not racist.

If pushing the wrong button on his wheel is something so unique that Hamilton can be singled out and ridiculed for it, then the guy wouldn't need to black up to use it as his target. He would just need the Maclaren t-shirt and the wheel.
He could have easily written 'Lewis' on his t-shirt to make it clear anyhow.
He could have worn a yellow helmet - he would then have looked a whole lot more like Hamilton than he did.

If he was really just a naive idiot who was trying to look like Hamilton, why was his skin so different in colour from hamiltons, and so close in colour to a minstrel show style 'blackface' characature ?

And why is he looking a lot more worried and uncomfortable than his mates after seeing the camera? maybe he knows full well how offensive and racist he is being and is worried about getting in trouble?
Seems to me that his mate is going 'wahay we're on telly', but the blacked up guy is going "oh shit............look it's the button on the wheel, honest...... I'm not really racist... f*$k I'm in deep shit now..."
Of course the act is not racist...The fact that the man makes fun of Hamilton is just that. The man MAY be racist, but the act itself is not. If you chose to make fun of a famous woman you would wear a wig wouldn't you? Would that make you sexist? He just impersonates someone by copying his most characteristic attribute in his field. I'm sick of this fear of these kinds of witch-hunts. Get a humor.
Back to the gimp with the black face and steering wheel, how do you lampoon Mark Webber or Jenson Button? You would use there most recognizable feature so everybody knows exactly who your putting shit on.

Is walking around with a big red hat holding an ice cream and a coke racist or offensive to Kimi?
Quote from BenjiMC :the fact that it's been done and already criticised for being a racist act. ok...

I don't get what you mean.

Some people criticised it for being racist, yeah. But that doesn't mean that I can't have another opinion, does it?

Completely agree with the 2 posts above.
Quote from richo :
Is a black dude who's painted his face white walking around with a big red hat holding an ice cream and a coke, mumbling about having missed the start while taking a shit, racist or offensive to Kimi?

fixed?

Personally I think FIA has no interest in thoroughly investigating whether the facepaint was for the purposes of genuine impersonation or for ridiculing. And tbh, 'omg ban one spectator cuz he looks funny' is going to change diddlysquat.
If anything, talking about here and in the media, plus the FIA 'investigating' it just proves to those that did it that they're technique worked (it got exposure) and will just increase the chances of it happening again.

The best thing to do is ignore it. When the blacked out people realise nobody reacts then they'll try to come up with something else. And we shouldn't rise to that either if it's as bad or worse.

Having said that, I sit on the side of the fence that thinks the blacking of the face and (iirc) the dodgy teeth was merely to make it clear who he was impersonating, rather than insinuating all black people are little more than monkeys in clothes. Yes, he could have written Lewis on his T-shirt, but that's like trying to impersonate a clown by writing Clown on your clothes; it's not quite the same.
I was thinking the same Tristan. It's just a twat who doesn't deserve any attention, so move on people. Christ.
Oh my.. not again...

Maybe you should know this guy was on his slagparty, and it's traditional here to dress the guy who's going to marry with ironic or ridiculous costumes.

Being a fan of Alonso, they made him a Hamilton's costume, but NOT for any f*ing racist reason, it's like you dress a Boca Junior supporter with a River Plate dress.

¿Haven't anyone ever been on a f*ing costume party?

¿What's your problem with racism? ¿do you know what racism is? If you dress like Pamela Anderson you're going to add some huge tits, if you dress like Michael Moore you'll dress like a fat guy, if you dress like Hamilton, you'll have to paint your skin!

Being black is not a taboo, at least in my country you can be of any colour, you can be from any part of the world, nobody cares, nobody makes a difference, maybe it's you who have those colour differences in your mind, maybe it's you who are racist.

How sad must be lives without sense of humor.
Agree, it's like the ones that actually find that offending are racists. The guy IS black, why is coloring yourself in his skin color racists? It was just a period of time in America, will people let that go? Jesus christ..
I think it's quite interesting how the world has become so sensitised to racism that it seems to have lost the point entirely - that a person's skin colour shouldn't be an issue at all. The vast majority are respectful but they still tippy-toe around any aspect of differing race because culture has told them to be so mindful of what they say or do in case it's taken the wrong way. Which is surely a double standard as it's an acknowledgement that people of a different race need to be treated differently

/srs cat
Some people seem to have forgotten we enslaved an ENTIRE race of people not THAT LONG AGO! The issue is still very fresh regardless of what people say.

OK I hate the PC freaks who go mental over anything but this is how I draw the line -

Would this man dress like that if there was a large population of black people that attended the Grand Prix? No of course he freakin' wouldn't!
it was a very nice GP
Quote from Eldanor :it's traditional here to dress the guy [...] with [...] ridiculous costumes. [...] they made him a Hamilton's costume

So you're saying being black is ridiculous

just kidding!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG