The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from StableX :ROFL!!!! I tell you, the INDYCAR sounds awesome! I love the oval racing for some reason on iRacing. The system works very smoothly. My driving is the opposite though and I am rarely smooth turning left all the time

You could learn a lot from this video..
Quote from Gnomie :You could learn a lot from this video..

if thats the ONION video I'm going to scream...

*goes to check the video*

:doh:

AARRRGGH GOD DANGIT !!!
Quote from richard dk :

I don`t wanna race the Spec Racer Ford this season. I don`t like the idea going down in the Rookie class, but i`m sure I will drive SRF when private leagues are coming..it`s such a great and rewarding car to drive and I think the sound is the best in iRacing...

I think your missing some good racing Richard. Just because its open to rookies does not mean you have to race against them. As long as you put a half decent quali lap in you will always be near the front of the grid, racing guys that know how to & avoiding the mid pack carnage.
Quote from anttt69 :I think your missing some good racing Richard. Just because its open to rookies does not mean you have to race against them. As long as you put a half decent quali lap in you will always be near the front of the grid, racing guys that know how to & avoiding the mid pack carnage.

I am always near the back of the pack, and somehow always avoid the 'carnage' you guys talk about... I wonder how some guys get all the bad luck and always get taken out by others by no fault of their own...

Takes two to tango, and it takes two to have a collision...
I've got a few spare minutes, so...
Quote from anttt69 :Whilst im not going to argue with you about this I object to your harsh reactions.
You call me cheeky & then accuse me of taking advantage of the forum. If i am not mistaken this forum is here to be used by all of us. I haven't broken any of the forum rules so I dont see the problem. Why not just move it to the thread that YOU want it in?

I closed the thread you posted and suggested creating one on the iRacing forum. Not really much of an outburst, I don't think.
Quote from StableX :He's looking after the Dev's in essence. I do see his point and really, the thread should be within the iracing forums directed at iRacing members that also play LFS.

My point exactly.
Quote from StableX :However, as you rightly put, you're not breaking a rule and the personal opinions of a moderator should not come in to the moderating of a post or thread, particularly when you don't break a rule!

Being a forum moderator does not diminish my right to post my opinions, just as everyone else and in equal measure. That was made clear to me by the devs before I accepted the offer of the position. I choose the hymn sheet I sing from, myself. Nevertheless, when I moderated anttt's original thread, I posted:
Quote from SamH :Not being funny but this is a topic that should be created on the iRacing forum, not the LFS forum.

I didn't post "my opinion" until afterwards, when anttt complained that:
Quote from anttt69 :For some reason SamH closed my thread down (even though this is the off topic section of the forum & we are free to discuss anything we like).

So I explained my reasoning further. I didn't think I'd need to, but despite giving what I felt was a pretty plain reason for closing anttt's thread, for some reason anttt wasn't quite getting it. I didn't close it because a rule was broken, I closed it because it wasn't the right place to post it.

Everyone has their opinions about what moderators should and shouldn't do, but the deal is struck between the moderators and the devs. We explain our actions at every juncture, directly to the devs and all other moderators, and that's entirely sufficient as far as we're concerned.. but yanno if you have a problem with me because of some history or other, or about the way I moderate on the forum, I suggest that it'd be much more grown-up to complain directly to me or the devs than to snipe on the forum. I'm not upset or wotnot, but I'm pretty confident that there ain't much grounds for complaint, really.
Quote from atledreier :I am always near the back of the pack, and somehow always avoid the 'carnage' you guys talk about... I wonder how some guys get all the bad luck and always get taken out by others by no fault of their own...

It's one thing to start at the back and just ride around to increase your SR. It's another thing to start at the back and try to work your way up through the field for iRating. A couple days ago I did a modified race and a Legends race. Both races I started near the back and was picking guys off working my way up, and both times I was underneath someone, they got loose and spun down into me, nothing I could do about it. Sucks, but that's racing sometimes.
Quote from atledreier :Takes two to tango, and it takes two to have a collision...

Far too glib, IMO. That's the problem.. it doesn't necessarily take two. Sometimes it takes one idiot and one victim. A system that doesn't differentiate between two people dancing a tango and one person with his arms flailing, striking another, is deficient.
Quote from atledreier :I am always near the back of the pack, and somehow always avoid the 'carnage' you guys talk about... I wonder how some guys get all the bad luck and always get taken out by others by no fault of their own...

Overall I agree with you. Many people are just incapable of realizing that in most accidents there was at least a little something they could have done to avoid it or minimize it's impact.

However, there are definitely places in a race where you're more prone to get tangled up in other people's mishaps. That would be the midfield. I've found that, when I start pretty far in the back, I'm usually able to stay out of most trouble, dodge the wrecks in front of me and end up with at least top half finishes more often than not (depends on the strength of field, of course, but even higher rated drivers do seem to go off by themselves quite frequently). If you start in the front, well it's obvious, as long as you don't mess it up into T1 you should do fine.

The midfield is a lot more complicated. Trying to avoid wrecks in front of you without people behind you driving into you, is impossible at times. In my skippy season (that was 2008 4, I believe), probably more than half my incidents came from people rear-ending me on lap 1. That said, I was still able to maintain around 2.5 incidents per race, which is not great, but decent for a midpacker, as I'd like to think.

Last season, where I drove the Mazda and mostly started in the back, I averaged 1.3 incidents per race (without Milwaukee that figure would have been below 1).
Quote from Linsen :Overall I agree with you. Many people are just incapable of realizing that in most accidents there was at least a little something they could have done to avoid it or minimize it's impact

A good point. The whole SR system is making me evaluate my driving more and more now that my rating took a huge hit after getting promoted last season. I want to be aggressive and gain spots when I can but you have to know when to back off and give a guy space so he doesn't wreck into you.
Quote from SamH :Far too glib, IMO. That's the problem.. it doesn't necessarily take two. Sometimes it takes one idiot and one victim. A system that doesn't differentiate between two people dancing a tango and one person with his arms flailing, striking another, is deficient.

Sure it's deficient, but it's much better than nothing. Plus, there's the possibility to protest drivers who are reckless and/or driving stupidly. Unfortunately, it seems to be greatly underused, because people prefer to come to the forums and bitch and moan about being taken out. I have a feeling, however, that a large percentage of those people are the ones who fail to see any fault in their own driving.
Just as a heads-up to people with a link to their iRacing stats in their sig: it's outdated
Quote from Linsen :Sure it's deficient, but it's much better than nothing. Plus, there's the possibility to protest drivers who are reckless and/or driving stupidly. Unfortunately, it seems to be greatly underused, because people prefer to come to the forums and bitch and moan about being taken out. I have a feeling, however, that a large percentage of those people are the ones who fail to see any fault in their own driving.

I concede that it's better than nothing! Perhaps it's the die-hard LFSer in me that regards league-level marshal-eyes as a prerequisite for anything describing itself as a league.

And I absolutely, 100% agree with you that a significant percentage of racers who have an issue with the driving of others are completely blind to the MASSIVE deficiencies in their own driving
One crash does not ruin your rating, don't worry about it. If it was caused by reckless driving, go ahead and file a protest too. Blame-game is pointless because clean racer will end up with low incidents/race average even if he ends up being victim couple times.
Quote from anttt69 :I think your missing some good racing Richard. Just because its open to rookies does not mean you have to race against them. As long as you put a half decent quali lap in you will always be near the front of the grid, racing guys that know how to & avoiding the mid pack carnage.

Ant... do you know how big SR hit you will get with a A license if you just gets x4 inc? Ohh my god....

But it`s not only for Rookies I know that..but I`ll wait to private leagues with that car...

I know someone from Denmark..he got x14 in two races and went down from, I think it was from 4.6x with a A license to 3.56...

But it`s a great car and I will drive it later in the year..i guess..
Quote from atledreier :

I can tell you that 99% of my incidents is not made by me ( I never spins on my own..)..hand on my heart...

Two to Tango yes..but in maybe 90% I simply can`t avoid it - the rest I could with a little bit of luck). People are either hitting me ( I brake where i should brake) in the back or spinning in front of me..but yes two to tango...but it`s hard to do anything by these things I just mentioned..at least for me... And i`m not crying about it, shit happens...

My average inc in Road is very good.. I think it`s 2.3xx and 3.5xx in oval.. but still I can`t simply avoid these inc most of the times. If i brake on the oval and try to steer away from it..I`ll bet that the the guy behind me will hit me... Especially on ovals. Guys are focused on my bumper and does not look 5-6-7 cars away..and thats a mistake from them..

But still very clean and fair racing in iRacing - I love it..
Quote from Crommi :One crash does not ruin your rating, don't worry about it. If it was caused by reckless driving, go ahead and file a protest too. Blame-game is pointless because clean racer will end up with low incidents/race average even if he ends up being victim couple times.

Unless a guy is blatantly crashing into you on the straightaway or driving in reverse in the rookie league, it seems unlikely that they'll get punished extra. I got wrecked by a rookie who avgs 14 incidences per race and he's already missed one promotion because his safety rating was too low.

Only reason he was in front of me was cus i spun out 1st lap

Guys who wreck and drive badly wont make it past rookie or at least wont make it past D I realized the guy was not a good driver and I just decided not to back down at that moment, even though i knew he'd be dumb and smash into me.
i assume after today's update that the reset ban is now operational for class C and above ?
Quote from Gabkicks :I realized the guy was not a good driver and I just decided not to back down at that moment, even though i knew he'd be dumb and smash into me.

Yatzee! If everybody drive like all the other guys on track don't know squat about driving we'd be seeing alot less incidents.

Keep your eyes on the road and mirrors, and you'll avoid alot of the carnage, midfield or not. I have quite a few incidents, and I believe only one or two of them are not caused by me in some form. Realizing that can be tough for some. Also, having been hit, I realize it could just as easily been me causing grief for some other guy.
Quote from tinvek :i assume after today's update that the reset ban is now operational for class C and above ?

Yeah, release notes:

Quote :
Resets

When you run out of resets and try to reset again you will no longer get pulled out of the car ending your race.

Exiting the car is considered a reset, when your limit is reached you will not be able to re-enter the world.

You can exit your car and re-enter the world without limit while people are getting onto the grid at the start of the race, but the instant everyone is on the grid exits are no longer free, so only do this with caution (wrong setup, fix calibration, etc) or you may get locked out of the race.

Here's a funny Radical set I found from forums. I think name says it all
Attached files
kangaRadical.rar - 1.2 KB - 175 views
Anyone else finding the SRF a little slice of heaven?

Quite a contrast from the Solstice but I'm really enjoying it. It REALLY hates coming right off the throttle, you have to be gentle with it on deceleration if there's any lateral movment going on.
I'm not too keen on the SRF, but I've not tried it much to be honest. I'll try and do some practice laps and jump in the next race.
I hated it the first 10 laps

Then I realized it's just a sassy car giving me the finger, and I had to show it a thing or two about obedience.

Now we work well together... if only I wasn't mentally retarded at T1 of Summit Point, I would have decent times there. Running low 24s but am losing 2 seconds+ at T1 alone somehow...
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG