The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Dang that video makes me want to sign up for iRacing.....oh wait I already have

If iRacing hired Jessica and her most wonderous breastacels for their marketing campaign they'd be on to a winner

Nice video anyway.

I'm pretty sure a few TV adds in the UK with say Jackie Stewart and/or Jeremy, James and Richard would attract a whole load of folks that would be interested from this country.

The issue is at the moment is that most race fans see 'sim racing' as still a computer game. If it was sold to them as more a simulator then I could see plenty of middle aged men in the middle of a mid-life crisis interested. By heck it's cheaper for those coffin dodgers to take up sim racing than it is for them to buy a 911 like they normally do.
That really was a good video.

::glances at calendar::

Two weeks left until I'm out.
man bristol is absolutely nuts.

I'm having trouble however....I'm not so much worried about how quick I can go, but rather how sideways I can get and for how long

I haven't done any oval racing higher than latemodel stuff, and I must say I suck quite a bit. I can mimick videos pretty well, but it seems like the oval community is a bit more protective of setups...

Day 1 of the track change and theres multiple setups posted in the road car forums...zilch in the COT forum that I can find.

I know the default sets are capable of way faster than I'm going (16.15 I think was the best in my last TT).
Setups you see posted are probably from last year, COT is still quite new and it takes some extra effort to figure out what works on each track. Even with Mazda, you can run same setup for almost every track and be quick; softest springs with softest dampers and just adjust camber once you see how tires heat up.

I'm going with little different approach for Silverstone set, so I've been messing around with it for past couple days already.
Anyone else having trouble updating? Mine says it needs updates, but when i click update, the usual little window pops up telling me that its connecting to wherever it gets the updates, then just sits there doing nowt. It's normally ok, but it's been like this for 3 days now...
Mine has been updating just fine, have you tried if it happens on other browsers too? You could also try contacting support, they've been really helpful in resolving all kinds of issues.
I've not tried an alternative browser to be honest, i shall give that a try, and if that fails, then i'll try contacting support.

Thanks
"C:\Program Files\iRacing\Start_iRacingService.bat"

Try starting this mate.
all those on the free one month trial say aye. Lets arrange a LFS Rookie solstice race. This iRacing is very addictive I'm loving the realism but hating the no contact lame racing part. If only we could turn safety rating off. (the slightest tap = disaster )
Saying that I haven't touched LFS since I started my free trial 3 days ago.
Quote from anttt69 :This iRacing is very addictive I'm loving the realism but hating the no contact lame racing part. If only we could turn safety rating off. (the slightest tap = disaster )

You don't need the SR for that... I was in a race with Bawbag on Laguna Seca... He overtook me right before the Corkscrew and I went on the kerb under braking, locking the right tyres up... I had maybe 1-2 km/h difference in speed when my front left side touched his rear, yet my suspension was so out of shape I got understeer in left-hand corners and oversteer in right-hand corners... Plus my bonnet was bent so far up the nearest ground I could see was 30 metres away...

But yeah, I hate tip-toeing around people just to not take a dive in SR, it takes out so much of the immersion... :banghead:
Hehe just looked at Ray's (Bawbags) stats. I see it hasn't taken him long to get to grips with iRacing
Quote from bbman :You don't need the SR for that... I was in a race with Bawbag on Laguna Seca... He overtook me right before the Corkscrew and I went on the kerb under braking, locking the right tyres up... I had maybe 1-2 km/h difference in speed when my front left side touched his rear, yet my suspension was so out of shape I got understeer in left-hand corners and oversteer in right-hand corners... Plus my bonnet was bent so far up the nearest ground I could see was 30 metres away...

But yeah, I hate tip-toeing around people just to not take a dive in SR, it takes out so much of the immersion... :banghead:

I agree the damage is way exaggerated atm...especially in the closed fender cars.

However its better imo to have it more exaggerated until you get a better damage model in place then something like LFS where you can bounce open wheel cars off the wall repeatedly to no ill effect.
Quote from anttt69 : If only we could turn safety rating off. (the slightest tap = disaster )

When you get used to it it`s the best thing in the world. All my races has been very clean from day one. Off course accidents happens. One week after I got my D license ( I think it was in July 2008) in Road my SR was above 4.99 and has only one time since, been on 4.68 and it took me 4 or 5 races to get it above 4.99 again. I`m now on a B license and it`s still above 4.99.

In oval it`s the same story, although i`m only on a C license there..

Having a high SR has really nothing to say (other than you can race "up" before the season ends IF your SR is above 4.0). You only needs 3.0 to get your next license at the end of a season. And when your SR is higher it`s also more difficult to maintain your SR because you needs more corners pr. incident.

You can see CPI - Corners Per Incident in the attachment. The OLD is not interesting, it`s the new who counts..

In the last couple of weeks I have raced two liga races in LFS for the first time since june last year, and all I can say is that SR rules..I wish it was in LFS..
Attached images
CPI_Chart.jpg
Quote from richard dk :When you get used to it it`s the best thing in the world. All my races has been very clean from day one. Off course accidents happens. One week after I got my D license ( I think it was in July 2008) in Road my SR was above 4.99 and has only one time since, been on 4.68 and it took me 4 or 5 races to get it above 4.99 again. I`m now on a B license and it`s still above 4.99.

In oval it`s the same story, although i`m only on a C license there..

Having a high SR has really nothing to say (other than you can race "up" before the season ends IF your SR is above 4.0). You only needs 3.0 to get your next license at the end of a season. And when your SR is higher it`s also more difficult to maintain your SR because you needs more corners pr. incident.

You can see CPI - Corners Per Incident in the attachment. The OLD is not interesting, it`s the new who counts..

In the last couple of weeks I have raced two liga races in LFS for the first time since june last year, and all I can say is that SR rules..I wish it was in LFS..

I don't think there is a system that covers all bases and I think the SR for most is a positive thing. To some though, I know their experience in iRacing races has made them dislike the SR. If you constantly get taken out by peope [at no fault of your own] then you lose SR as a result and I can see why it will get frustrating.

I think having SR is a great thing to have but could do with some way of gauging where the fault lies in an incident. I also think there needs to be work done so that little nudges or taps do not incur the same SR penalty.
As with accidents in real life, it often takes 1 mistake each by 2 separate drivers to have an accident. There is almost always that gray area of fault.

Case in point:
1. I pass a guy up the inside into T1 at Jefferson in the Skippy.
2. He holds his line on the outside.
3. We enter the esses side by side.
4. Neither one of us backs off. (2 mistakes right there)
5. At the first apex I hold my line on the outside.
6. At the second apex, I'm on the inside but the other driver turns in hard, thinking he's ahead even though he can't see me in his mirrors. (mistake #3)
7. I suddenly see him cutting over on me and brake hard but it's too late and we collide.
Quote from Forbin :As with accidents in real life, it often takes 1 mistake each by 2 separate drivers to have an accident. There is almost always that gray area of fault.

Case in point:
1. I pass a guy up the inside into T1 at Jefferson in the Skippy.
2. He holds his line on the outside.
3. We enter the esses side by side.
4. Neither one of us backs off. (2 mistakes right there)
5. At the first apex I hold my line on the outside.
6. At the second apex, I'm on the inside but the other driver turns in hard, thinking he's ahead even though he can't see me in his mirrors. (mistake #3)
7. I suddenly see him cutting over on me and brake hard but it's too late and we collide.

that's true but a lot of assumptions. I was on a Silverado race twice last month and both times while warming up a few drivers were saying they should have practised first and this was tier first time on the track. Not suprisingly, they got in to trouble and took quite a few people out throughout the race. That was their fault for not practising and iRacing's fault for not enhancing the system to stop that.
Quote from StableX : If you constantly get taken out by peope [at no fault of your own] then you lose SR as a result and I can see why it will get frustrating.

There will always be people who dislikes things and even I doesn`t like everything, not even in iRacing. But I can cope with it and still enjoying my racing..

I has never ever seen a guy taken out constantly. And if there is, there must be something wrong.
I had also been taken out and had a bad race and got 12 Inc. points (in road) but I got the SR back in no time. It`s also about my driving and doing the right things my self. I must adapt to the situations on the track. And shit will happen at some point. I don`t know the numbers of people who has problems with the SR ( I think the last time we had a promotion to the next license, only two failed, IF i`m remembering it correct), I just know that all the danish guys who is racing in iRacing is very well secure in the SR, no one has been demoted to a lower license because of their SR, but I know at least one who didn`t get his promotion because he forgot to do the 4 TT or 4 races in the season.. .

Yes you can be an innocent part in a collision, and so what? The next race will be better... IRL your car are destroyed and you must pay for the repair even you are innocent, in iRacing you are only loosing a little bit of SR, but you are not loosing money..
I think I can find statistic for how many there is under 2.0 in SR. Will find it later.

The right thing to do is to forget about SR and just race. A couple of weeks before the season ends, look at you SR and if it is below 3.0, then it will only take you a very few races to get it above 3.0 so you can get your next license. Your CPI is very easy if you are below 2.99 - or even at 1.99
Quote from bbman :... I had maybe 1-2 km/h difference in speed when my front left side touched his rear, yet my suspension was so out of shape I got understeer in left-hand corners and oversteer in right-hand corners... Plus my bonnet was bent so far up the nearest ground I could see was 30 metres away...

It seems a little erratic at times. Sometimes you can rub tyres in the Mazda quite heavily and only get a 0x (has happened to me twice in Mazda practice at Milwaukee), and at other times you get a 4x when you didn't even touch according to the replay. But overall collision detection has been relatively good for me, I must say. And as long as you keep an extra margin of safety, you should be good in 95% of the cases, I'd say.

For me personally, SR actually adds to the immersion, because the fear of crashing and being "hurt" is a little more real that way.
Look at the iRacing Stats in Rookies Road..

There are also some with other licenses who is below 2.50, but I have no time to find them ( Edit: I just took my time to do it).. So this is only in Rookie

In iRacing you starts with a SR at 2.50 in Rookie class.

Rookie license Road:
There has been 7.499 people through iRacing. There are 600 drivers at this moment who is below 2.50 in SR. Some are still driving iRacing at Rookie level, but there are also people in between that has left iRacing.

78 drivers is on 2.47 - 2.49. They don`t need many races to get it up to above 2.99 even with few incindents here and there..

I think some people just looks too much on their SR.. and forgets to have fun..

To get promoted for the next license you must be above 3.0.
To stay at your license you must be above 2.0.
To get demoted you must be below 2.0.. But who wants that..

I can see that B license drivers there are only 29 below 2.50 and still 6 weeks left of the season to get above 3.0.
Quote from richard dk :There will always be people who dislikes things and even I doesn`t like everything, not even in iRacing. But I can cope with it and still enjoying my racing..

I has never ever seen a guy taken out constantly. And if there is, there must be something wrong.
I had also been taken out and had a bad race and got 12 Inc. points (in road) but I got the SR back in no time. It`s also about my driving and doing the right things my self. I must adapt to the situations on the track. And shit will happen at some point. I don`t know the numbers of people who has problems with the SR ( I think the last time we had a promotion to the next license, only two failed, IF i`m remembering it correct), I just know that all the danish guys who is racing in iRacing is very well secure in the SR, no one has been demoted to a lower license because of their SR, but I know at least one who didn`t get his promotion because he forgot to do the 4 TT or 4 races in the season.. .

Yes you can be an innocent part in a collision, and so what? The next race will be better... IRL your car are destroyed and you must pay for the repair even you are innocent, in iRacing you are only loosing a little bit of SR, but you are not loosing money..
I think I can find statistic for how many there is under 2.0 in SR. Will find it later.

The right thing to do is to forget about SR and just race. A couple of weeks before the season ends, look at you SR and if it is below 3.0, then it will only take you a very few races to get it above 3.0 so you can get your next license. Your CPI is very easy if you are below 2.99 - or even at 1.99

yeah, you're right

So what is your favourite road and oval car and WHY?????

I'll start....

Road - Mazda Single Seater - I just love the extra downforce and the feel of the car when on the edge.... awesome!
Oval - Chevy Silverado - the sound alone makes me smile! The iRacing oval system for racing is absolutely wicked!
My favourite cars and tracks? There are many tracks, ooohh my GOD..

At Road courses Skip Barber for sure and the Radical. Skip Barber on any configs. at Virginia is just awesome. The Radical on Sebring.. Why Skip and Virgina? Because the track is just simply awesome and the Skip Barber is a real beast to tame, but very awarding to drive.
The Riley on Daytona Road is also a blast.

In oval it`s Silverado, no ones matches that car, it`s a blast. I just love it on Las Vegas, Daytona and Lowe`s.. I`m looking forward to Talledega.. Oval? Because I likes CLOSE racing and the strategy..

Ok now to my SR countings in Road..

At license C there are 90 drivers below 2.50 in SR. If they are still driving iRacing it will be easy to get above 3.0

At license D there are about 250 drivers below 2.50 and it should be easier to get them above 3.0 than the C license.

So imo SR just rules..
Quote from richard dk :
I think some people just looks too much on their SR.. and forgets to have fun..

You're probably right. I'm one of those that probably fall in the middle of that. I don't really care about SR or incident points but what I cannot abide is the constant NAGGING! 'You put a wheel on our nice grass, that'll cost ya' 'You lost control, that'll cost ya' I frickin' KNOW I lost control, I don't need it rubbing in! 'You were in a collision, that'll cost ya' No shit? So that's what that bump was!
The principal is great, the operation stinks. Dock me the points, tell me what a dick I've been AFTER the race. THAT'S the reason I've given up on iRacing.
No I can't ignore the messages and they infuriates me beyond what is reasonable. I understand that, but it does. £200+ down the Swanee (hey that's good. . Swanee? River in the southern states somewhere? No? Oh well.)
Quote from Linsen :It seems a little erratic at times. Sometimes you can rub tyres in the Mazda quite heavily and only get a 0x (has happened to me twice in Mazda practice at Milwaukee), and at other times you get a 4x when you didn't even touch according to the replay. But overall collision detection has been relatively good for me, I must say. And as long as you keep an extra margin of safety, you should be good in 95% of the cases, I'd say.

For me personally, SR actually adds to the immersion, because the fear of crashing and being "hurt" is a little more real that way.

Just to be clear, I got a 0x (and it shows only the one incident I had after in the results), this was just the damage I took from this slightest of bumps...

Another example: Being frustrated with crashing while testing, I positioned my "Slowstice" () against a wall and let it rip... The car wiggled a bit, resulting in getting more damage on both front corners! WTF?!
iRacing is not for you then. Be happy with the game you are playing..
I have never seen any nagging and has not been in trouble...

Putting a wheel of (its half of your car) and you will get 1 Inc. point and so what? Either stop putting half of your car off the track or just live with that Inc. point. Spinning your car will get you 2 Inc. point. Thats fair because you are not safe if your are spinning, thats what SR is for. And after all, in Rookie I think you can have over 14 Inc. point before you are loosing SR.
SR is a good way to have people to drive on the track and not on the grass...

Sry if you has seen so much nagging, i have not heard it from anybody else than you, but sure it excists, like in all the other games I have played.. but as I wrote I have not seen it. Guys are complaining from time to time, but thats normal. I just keeps my mouth closed, I never ever discuss anything.....
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG