The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
Quote from Bean0 :

The netcode seems appalling, I was entering T2 at Laguna and could see a car in my mirror exiting T1...next thing I know his car is INSIDE my car.

I think they use a similar netcode as Nascar 2003, which had it's moments from what I remember through personal experience. Having said that I haven't come across anything as bad as that, although I have seen the odd jumpy car doing a dance on the track. (Incidentally not fun trying to dodge on an oval track)
After a full night of racing I'm still pleasantly surprised. Driving the Radical around Lime Rock was one of the most gratifying single player sim racing experiences I think I've ever encountered, all the bumps felt like they were going to rip the wheel right out of my hands. I also did a race in the Solstice at Laguna Seca. I'm still trying to get the hang of the Solstice but I think I ended up in 5th without picking up too many incidents along the way. There was some guy in practice though who decided it would be funny to just get in front of me and continually slow down, then when I'd try to pass he'd swerve at me to block. Can I get incident points in practice? I was afraid I would, otherwise I would have put the guy in the wall where he belonged.
Ratings are not affected in any way under practise sessions. However, sounds like he was intentionally trying to cause trouble, next time grab a replay and send a protest even if it's a practise session. That kind of behavior doesn't need to be tolerated.
Quote from UncleBenny :After a full night of racing I'm still pleasantly surprised. Driving the Radical around Lime Rock was one of the most gratifying single player sim racing experiences I think I've ever encountered, all the bumps felt like they were going to rip the wheel right out of my hands. I also did a race in the Solstice at Laguna Seca. I'm still trying to get the hang of the Solstice but I think I ended up in 5th without picking up too many incidents along the way. There was some guy in practice though who decided it would be funny to just get in front of me and continually slow down, then when I'd try to pass he'd swerve at me to block. Can I get incident points in practice? I was afraid I would, otherwise I would have put the guy in the wall like he belonged.

I think that were registered in same league season
Quote from Bean0 :I had a quick go last night before it went down for maintenance*.
The interface is horrible, and if their website isn't working then you can't even practice offline.

The netcode seems appalling, I was entering T2 at Laguna and could see a car in my mirror exiting T1...next thing I know his car is INSIDE my car.

As far as the driving goes, it wasn't too bad...certainly better than rFactor or any of the GTR games, I will reserve judgement on NKPro until they have a tintop to compare with. The feel was there, but it will obviously take a little adapting to.

* - Maintenance implies planned downtime, it seemed very much like it broke and they stuck the page up as an afterthought.

Interface does get annoying at first, but once you get into it, it is very easy and quick to use.

Regarding the netcode, do you mean T2 at Laguna as the right hander? If so, that has to be user side. Even LFS does that, but it's when the user is having the problems. I am actually very pleased with the netcode. Smooth for me, even racing people with 200 ping from Australia, and best of all, NO LAG TAPS!
damn, i got an email saying "Derek, looks like youve allready tried iracing, sorry this offer doesnt apply to you". ah well, bugger it.

OT, sam, signature from a scroobius pip song?
Quote from DeKo :OT, sam, signature from a scroobius pip song?

Aye! A mate started sending me links about a year or so ago, after he did a gig in me mate's pub
Quote :Hi Anthony,

You seem to already be a member? Unfortunately this promotional code will only work for when a new account is created with it. Sorry.

Regards,

Tim Wheatley

Wtf? I think I hate iracing a little bit more now
Well I have both LFS and iRacing. I like both. I play both. If I have the choice between an iRacing scheduled well populated race, or a pick up LFS race, I will choose iRacing. Why? Because I find the physics in iRacing more believeable, and the safety rating ensures that the racing is pretty much always clean. Also, the fact that it is subscription service makes its members invest more into the sim, so you get less people acting like idiots.

However, if I just want to log on and race, thats where LFS comes in, and it does its job admirably. LFS is an incredible sim, and if I couldn't afford to subscribe to iRacing I'd be quite happy to stick with it full time. But as it is I like to have the choice. I must say however, that my iRacing time has increased since the LFS CTRA servers went down, but thats by the by....

Besides, a little competition can only be good for us simracers can it not?
Quote from AjRose :Wtf? I think I hate iracing a little bit more now

Well, are you already a member? If so, then you've got nothing to complain about
Quote from PMD9409 :Regarding the netcode, do you mean T2 at Laguna as the right hander? If so, that has to be user side. Even LFS does that, but it's when the user is having the problems. I am actually very pleased with the netcode. Smooth for me, even racing people with 200 ping from Australia, and best of all, NO LAG TAPS!

I don't know, I had far less lag issues in LFS than I have had in iRacing so far. Its very distracting to be going into a hairpin behind someone and have them COMPLETELY disappear for a few seconds, and then reappear 2 inches off your bumper. I'd rather have them be a little laggy so I still have a general idea of where they are, rather than just go "well I sure hope they don't reappear right on top of me".
I disabled auto renew on the subscription. I wanted to give it a chance, but i really think it's not worth it. It's popular, it's good. But it's not that good good to pay the monthly subscription and have to pay extra for more tracks and cars. It's hyped.

But I thank Radical for the chance to try it out and the topicstarter for mentioning it A Radical-like car in LFS would be cool
Quote from obsolum :Well, are you already a member? If so, then you've got nothing to complain about

I was a member... My membership ran out just last week. And I will not be renewing it.

Does it make sense that someone that actually payed for the game should be denied free content? When they are giving it away to anybody else?
Yeah, because they are trying to get people to try the game and if they like it they'll hopefully keep paying for it. Since you already have an account you tried it out already, if you liked it you'll pay for it, if not then why would they give you free stuff? It does suck for those who paid, but this is the kind of deal I was holding out for before trying iRacing out so I got lucky.
Quote from AjRose :Does it make sense that someone that actually payed for the game should be denied free content? When they are giving it away to anybody else?

Lots of stuff is marketed the same way. Freebies are given only to new customers to attract them to the service.
Quote from UncleBenny :I don't know, I had far less lag issues in LFS than I have had in iRacing so far. Its very distracting to be going into a hairpin behind someone and have them COMPLETELY disappear for a few seconds, and then reappear 2 inches off your bumper. I'd rather have them be a little laggy so I still have a general idea of where they are, rather than just go "well I sure hope they don't reappear right on top of me".

Well if it's just me that isn't seeing that then that's fine by me.
I have seen that very occasionally. I know sometimes the Australians, for example, can have lag problems even though they may have super fast internet...it ceratainly can add to the adreniline when it happens
I've signed up and can't wait to give this proper demo a try.
...and I'm not feeling it. It's just not drawing me in in any spectacular way.

The Radical by default is all understeer. I can full throttle out of a turn in 2nd gear and not have to worry about the rear. I'll go setup hunting to fix this of course.

Still a whole month left. Lots of time left to get myself into it.
I'm guessing you are on default?

Yeah, try some other sets, Orion racing team uploads some quality sets.

Warning: You will spin.
A week has passed and boy will I be glad when I can finally leave the rookie series behind for good... In this week, I had probably 2 clean races out of 10... I even got a wrecker (he was obviously mad for not getting by me cleanly, so he decided to wreck me - he's reported now)... But it's inexplicably satisfying to beat C-licence owners or at least give them a good run for their money...

Anyway, there are a few shortcomings for me - little things, not completely wrong, but awkward if not a bit disappointing:
1. FFB: Like I mentioned before, I think the bumps are too pronounced... I realise it's their unique selling point, but I feel they've overdid that...
2. Resets: I had plenty of opportunity to "test" the resets (like with afore mentioned wrecker), but for what tries to be an uncompromising recreation of the real deal, just being there is awkward by itself...
3. Gears: I hate not being able to put the car into gear on the grid, I can drive away in every other sim ffs! Twice now I've forgotten that I can only shift up to first once the lights appear, leaving me standing with the field behind me blasting forward...
4. Incidents: Just dipping 1-2 tyres in the dirt at the end of a rumblestrip at corner exits gives me an incident - for what? Either I've been off track the whole time (as a rumblestrip isn't part of that, or I haven't! Either I lose control or my acceleration is compromised the whole straight... So why when I can hold the car am I being given a penalty? The insides of corners I can understand - cutting has to be prohibited...
5. Schedules: 25 minutes to wait every time to get into the next session is a bit too long for my taste, and I'm not even counting in the higher classes... I can understand this is to gather as much racers as possible, but I'd prefer a race every 45 minutes anyway...
6. Website: The series homepage is quite good, the most important info is missing though: how many fecking laps? I don't care about the minimum racers to score points - that's out of my influence - but planning how long it will take (and in the higher classes, how much fuel I'll need) is!

Anyway, it's good fun, but I don't think I'll renew my subscription - it's just not that much better than it's competition to justify the monthly cost... When the Corvette is available though...
Quote from bbman :4. Incidents: Just dipping 1-2 tyres in the dirt at the end of a rumblestrip at corner exits gives me an incident - for what? Either I've been off track the whole time (as a rumblestrip isn't part of that, or I haven't! Either I lose control or my acceleration is compromised the whole straight... So why when I can hold the car am I being given a penalty? The insides of corners I can understand - cutting has to be prohibited...
5. Schedules: 25 minutes to wait every time to get into the next session is a bit too long for my taste, and I'm not even counting in the higher classes... I can understand this is to gather as much racers as possible, but I'd prefer a race every 45 minutes anyway...
6. Website: The series homepage is quite good, the most important info is missing though: how many fecking laps? I don't care about the minimum racers to score points - that's out of my influence - but planning how long it will take (and in the higher classes, how much fuel I'll need) is!

I agree with these points. The rating system could be toned down a little bit, it makes me almost a bit too cautious to try to go for a pass as I worry too much about the car in front of me not noticing my passing attempt and banging to the side of me in the progress causing massive rating loss for both of us (has happened).

I haven't met a single wrecker in any of my races yet, though I haven't been subscribed for a few months now, as I'm waiting for the 'vette untill I will renew my next subscription. I can only imagine that the free trial that is going on at the moment increases the amount of irresponsible driving and wreckers greatly. That's partially the reason why I haven't bought a subscription for a while now, I'll wait untill the test pilots bugger off or run out of subscription and things calm down a bit.
For what it's worth, just putting a tire or two off doesn't give you incidents. You have to have the center line of the car off before you'll get a 1x.
Quote from titanLS :For what it's worth, just putting a tire or two off doesn't give you incidents. You have to have the center line of the car off before you'll get a 1x.

Which can easily happen when a rumblestrip ends and that's what I'm talking about... And even then I can't think of a single reason why you'd be penalised by going off on the outside of a corner - you'll be losing (much) time anyway, so why not leave it at that? If I can manage to get back on the track safely without pointing in the wrong way in the process, isn't that something I should be awarded rather than penalised for? Or do they mean safe in a "Health & Safety" kind of way?
Quote from bbman :Which can easily happen when a rumblestrip ends and that's what I'm talking about... And even then I can't think of a single reason why you'd be penalised by going off on the outside of a corner - you'll be losing (much) time anyway, so why not leave it at that? If I can manage to get back on the track safely without pointing in the wrong way in the process, isn't that something I should be awarded rather than penalised for? Or do they mean safe in a "Health & Safety" kind of way?

I definitely agree to a certain extent, and there are some aspects of the safety rating system that aren't perfect. However, in the long run a 1x for dropping the center line really isn't that big of a deal. Even in C class you can have a few 1xs over the course of a race and still not lose safety rating.

Point being, the system may have a few flaws, but the racing for me has been the cleanest sim racing I've ever seen, ever imagined, and until that changes I won't be questioning the safety rating at all. Not once outside the rookie class have I ever been rear-ended in T1, cut off, forced off, blatantly blocked, etc. I've driven lap after lap, nose to tail, in a huge pack of cars, and everyone always respects everyone else. To me that says the system is working as it should.

Hope to see you out there!

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG