The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
Well I'm just saying that iRacing is the price of LFS... for ONE month, and the resources available to it are much greater. It's obviously newer so therefore is more detailed and etc. Being 'better' is a relative term, sure the GAME itself may be better, but who wants to spend that much for a pay-to-play subscription after all...

Quote from UncleBenny :Ran the Solstice and Radical some more. The cars just didn't feel attached to the road for some reason and I had no feeling for what the car was going to do. Decided to put on my headphones and cranked the volume way up, boy did that make a difference. Once I could get a feel for what the tires were doing with the headphones on it was like I was playing a whole different game, I was sliding the cars all over the place and could actually catch it now, was a lot of fun.

I can't wait to try the C6-R that will be available soon

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well I'm just saying that iRacing is the price of LFS... for ONE month, and the resources available to it are much greater. It's obviously newer so therefore is more detailed and etc. Being 'better' is a relative term, sure the GAME itself may be better, but who wants to spend that much for a pay-to-play subscription after all...

That is in fact not what you said.. maybe it's what you're saying now, because you have nothing better to say than "it's expensive - wah!" and "mm, what does better really mean? mumble".

Yes LFS is cheaper. By a lot.
Yes iRacing is better. By a lot, in ways that matter to a simulation.

Who wants to pay to play?
Quite a few people apparantly.

Not to mention, oh, around 12 MILLION World of Warcraft players. So much for the idea that a subscription business model is inherantly a mass put-off.

Now, back to your point about... erm, what was your point again? Oh right. "LFS isn't done and doesn't have as much resources". Thanks for the ground breaking revelatory insight of cataclysmic proportion!

Sorry to be harsh, but next time you feel the impulse to say something defensive because someone actually likes (the only) better sim than LFS - you won't. Do some of you collect cheques for each iteration of a LFS fanboy statement or something?
god what is with the iracing forums recently...

every day there's at least a couple new threads like,

"IM BEING LOUD AND DRAMATIC NOW DO WHAT I WANT BECAUSE ITS MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!1111111!!!!1!1"
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well I'm just saying that iRacing is the price of LFS... for ONE month, and the resources available to it are much greater. It's obviously newer so therefore is more detailed and etc. Being 'better' is a relative term, sure the GAME itself may be better, but who wants to spend that much for a pay-to-play subscription after all...

TWO months, but that's just stupid to pay for anything less than 3 months at one time.

Yes, they have more resources, yes it has released more tracks since release than LFS has total, yes it's added more vehicles since release than LFS has since release of S2, yes it is better detailed, and yes it is better, so yes I will pay for a subscription with my pocket change.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I can't wait to try the C6-R that will be available soon

They better wait until my one month is up because I don't want to have to buy it.
Quote from spanks :god what is with the iracing forums recently...

every day there's at least a couple new threads like,

"IM BEING LOUD AND DRAMATIC NOW DO WHAT I WANT BECAUSE ITS MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!1111111!!!!1!1"

Yeah, some people get annoying, but some make really good points.

Sadly every forum has their annoying people. You should of been around in beta when people was joining just to say on the forum that iRacing is going to fail because of what they did to NR2003.

It's everywhere sadly.
... I'm in no way a 'fanboy' of LFS, I myself think that it's lacking behind the times in terms of outright simulation, you have to consider and understand that there's only so much a team of 3 can do.

But it's true, being 'better' is all a matter of opinion. Some say NFS is better than LFS because it's more customizable, same goes with rFactor. Some say iRacing is better because it's more detailed, has real tracks (LAZAR SCANNED WOW!!!!!!) and real cars.

To me, it seems YOU are the fanboy (but of iRacing) because you only seem to be interested in the outright simulation, as opposed to the whole package.

When LFS is in a S2 final, or possibly S3 Alpha, then it's probably fair to directly compare LFS to iRacing, but what you're doing is comparing a piece of ALPHA software designed by 3 blokes to a piece of NON ALPHA software and definatly has a MUCH larger team than 3, working to higher budgets. Yet I don't see any overly large flaws in LFS, considering it's a piece of Alpha software, it's much more stable than any other game I've tried, and that's not some fan-boy talk, that's genuine.

iRacing may be a superior simulation, but it's much newer and is... well, for the same amount of time playing LFS, to do the same in iRacing would be... $936, not forgetting that LFS is the full game, not a pay to play and use this content service.

And you are comparing a racing simulation to an MMO, which is like comparing Tomato Ketchup to Branston Pickle.

To ME, LFS is better because it offers amazing pickup and play racing, great value and a semi-decent community, and what's more, I get free updates for life.
£24 for LFS, don't make me laugh....
  1. New home made PC - circa £600
  2. New 24" Monitor - circa £500
  3. Ordered sim cockpit - circa £1300
  4. G25 - circa £200
  5. Ordered SST Lighning shifter - circa £100
  6. Ordered TH2Go - £280
  7. Around 10 LFS S2 license voucher codes - £240
  8. Soon to be ordered 3 x 22" monitors - £500
  9. Around another 15 sim software titles since getting LFS- £300
  10. Leo Bodnars pedal adapter and Nixim mod - £Can't remember
  11. I can see CST pedals on the horizon- £mucho
  12. LFS Server last year £5 per month from Storm servers
  13. Payment to RSR members for leather gear, whips etc - £ too furckin much, PVC would have been cheaper guys come on!
  14. Payment to wife to allow me to get all the above - £3 x above +
  15. Loss of reputation amongst real life friends and continual slagging - £ lots of beers
  16. Fun times sim racing - £ well worth the above
Quote from UncleBenny :They better wait until my one month is up because I don't want to have to buy it.

Hehe, I figured you'd be interested so I just had to mention it

Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah, some people get annoying, but some make really good points.

Sadly every forum has their annoying people. You should of been around in beta when people was joining just to say on the forum that iRacing is going to fail because of what they did to NR2003.

It's everywhere sadly.

I think he's actually referring to me Too much of a pup to realize I used to say useful things here on occassion I suppose

Quote from S14 DRIFT :... I'm in no way a 'fanboy' of LFS, I myself think that it's lacking behind the times in terms of outright simulation, you have to consider and understand that there's only so much a team of 3 can do.

Yeah, but I don't really care about that excuse anymore. I used to though. Also, that same three used to do a lot more in a lot less time (and don't bother giving me that 'the standard is higher, things take longer' now line, it only works for the first two years).

Quote :But it's true, being 'better' is all a matter of opinion. Some say NFS is better than LFS because it's more customizable, same goes with rFactor. Some say iRacing is better because it's more detailed, has real tracks (LAZAR SCANNED WOW!!!!!!) and real cars.

No, being better in terms of a simulation - which is the whole context here - is not subjective, at all. Fun is subjective, accuracy is not. And for a sim, accuracy is what attacts the user first and foremost. FWIW, I thought that the lazer scanning was a gimmick as well, but I see the error of my ways now. iRacing's tracks really are fantastically done - the road surfaces do feel very alive.

Quote :To me, it seems YOU are the fanboy (but of iRacing) because you only seem to be interested in the outright simulation, as opposed to the whole package.

Heh, I used to be accused of being and LFS fanboy too. But never by you

Quote :When LFS is in a S2 final, or possibly S3 Alpha, then it's probably fair to directly compare LFS to iRacing, but what you're doing is comparing a piece of ALPHA software designed by 3 blokes to a piece of NON ALPHA software and definatly has a MUCH larger team than 3, working to higher budgets. Yet I don't see any overly large flaws in LFS, considering it's a piece of Alpha software, it's much more stable than any other game I've tried, and that's not some fan-boy talk, that's genuine.

Scawen himself has stated that it's 'fair to compare LFS to whatever you like', and I agree. iRacing could have an Alpha tag right now, it has a lot of missing features that they plan to implement. It still doesn't even have stalling. Engine damage was just added recently, etc. So, really, let's call it the iRacing Alpha from now on mmk? After all, it is still being worked on and has many features planned. And I submit to you that it's just as incomplete feature wise as LFS is at the moment, and in some ways more incomplete and thus should be given even more special consideration for comparisions.. right?

And yes, LFS is very well designed and very stable etc and whatnot, ad nausem.

Quote :And you are comparing a racing simulation to an MMO, which is like comparing Tomato Ketchup to Branston Pickle.

Ridiculous. You commented on the business model, and the context of it really is no different. Log on, play with others. Both require other humans to make it work. You act like the cost itself is just such a big issue, when it's not. If it was an issue, or reserved it for the rich, then WoW could not be successful. Therefore, the price really is not a relevant negative aspect if iRacing, from a business viability standpoint. If you don't like it, that's fine nobody is forcing you to. But that's a personal idea - unlike accuracy.

Quote :To ME, LFS is better because it offers amazing pickup and play racing, great value and a semi-decent community, and what's more, I get free updates for life.

Indeed, nobody is disputing what you prefer - prefer what you will mate.
Quote from AlienT. :Loss of reputation amongst real life friends and continual slagging - £ lots of beers

So true.

I'm paying subscription for both iRacing and WoW at the moment

In any case, it's really up to personal preference. I don't have an issue paying small monthly fee for using product that I find to be better than it's alternatives.

Edit: Anyhow, there's that huge iRacing topic for price discussion and everything else. Let's keep this one on topic
Edit2: Rating one product higher does not mean that other is bad, LFS is still fun to drive around autocross layouts and just unwind.
I'm officially an LFS fanboy but I'm not so bull-headed as to believe that iRacing doesn't offer a viable alternative to many people. Although I'm serious about sim racing in my own way, I'm not $20/month serious.

If Jak doesn't connect with iRacing, he doesn't connect. He isn't stupid because of it. I really find that kind of evangelism irritating - I can draw far too many parallels to Christian evangelists, who tout that you're not a Christian if you haven't been "born again". They just leave me thinking "wanker", in the same way their equivalents in sim racing do.

What really tickles me more than irritates me are the ones that declare the paramount importance of iRacing's realism from behind DFPs, Momos and G25s. Not, it must be noted, from inside Force Dynamics motion simulators, but desk-mounted, single-monitor 70 degree FOV setups. I just think "if you wish to address me, first climb back out of yer own arsehole".
Quote from SamH : I can draw far too many parallels to Christian evangelists, who tout that you're not a Christian if you haven't been "born again". They just leave me thinking "wanker", in the same way their equivalents in sim racing do.

I just think "if you wish to address me, first climb back out of yer own arsehole".

LOL. Almost gonna put that in my sig, but as you can see I've still got my CTRA userbars waiting for CTRA 2 "The revenge of the sim junkie" starring TBA

It's all about fun really isn't it? I'm sitting here drinking coffe smoking a cigarette with the odd word to my new best friend the gunea pig in the corner while waiting to get my asses whooped by some Southern Amercican gentlefolks at Las Vegas speedway in my pixelated truck, while picking the skin of blisters on my hand
hehe! Yep, it IS all about fun. If you don't got fun, you don't got nuttin'!

I would love to see laser scanned tracks in LFS. Perhaps some day we'll get them, or perhaps Eric might decide to take an aging stick to Aston and achieve the same thing. It doesn't honestly matter to me whether or not a pothole on iRacing's Laguna Seca mimicks the real-life pothole precisely to the millimetre, but its presence in iRacing undoubtedly adds profoundly to the sim experience.

Other aspects of LFS - being able to choose precisely when and with whom to race and to precisely what end, as just one of many examples - far outweighs the laser scanned track and the monthly subscription. Not that I think iRacing is crap - what do I know? - but as I write it's no more capable of meeting my sim racing needs than Need For Speed.
OMG this thread is taking a surreal turn
Very subtle Sam, very subtle - I would've thought a mod with some life experience would have to be above religous bigotry .

Anyway, in the same way that if you think Mariokart(tm) is as realistic as LFS, then you're stupid - same thing. And the fact that I don't need a force dynamics to say so just means the point is even more valid.

That is my official wanker opinion, no one's forcing you to take it!

I come from a very religious family. I've BEEN very religious in the past. I got better though

[edit] PS: having your opinions or your bollocks removed is not a prerequisite for becoming an LFS forum moderator. I'm still allowed to voice one, and play with the other two.
What you say about the laser scanned tracks is true up to a point for me.

If it is THE laguna seca, then I do care if that pothole is right there in the right spot. Especially since laser scanning is not just about bumps and holes. It gives slight variations in pitch and camber that really authenticates the experience. Plus those nasty bumps or crests in turns that get you loose every time.

After iracing real life tracks in sims are judged to a different level.

If they are fantasy tracks, then sure..make them how you wish. However the bumps at South city in the sim don't give the same feel as the bumps in iracing. I don't know if this is a difference in the bumps or the engine itself, but I greatly prefer the feel of iracing.
Quote from SamH :

I come from a very religious family. I've BEEN very religious in the past. I got better though

[edit] PS: having your opinions or your bollocks removed is not a prerequisite for becoming an LFS forum moderator. I'm still allowed to voice one, and play with the other two.

Heh, fair enough. And I know your background. You should listen to your father

Quote from spanks :What you say about the laser scanned tracks is true up to a point for me.

If it is THE laguna seca, then I do care if that pothole is right there in the right spot. Especially since laser scanning is not just about bumps and holes. It gives slight variations in pitch and camber that really authenticates the experience. Plus those nasty bumps or crests in turns that get you loose every time.

After iracing real life tracks in sims are judged to a different level.

If they are fantasy tracks, then sure..make them how you wish. However the bumps at South city in the sim don't give the same feel as the bumps in iracing. I don't know if this is a difference in the bumps or the engine itself, but I greatly prefer the feel of iracing.

100% agree.
Well just finished my first Oval race of the season, managed a 5th place in the trucks and an increase in SR (very unusual for me). Oval is fun fun fun and very very intense running door to door round the bends.

Only problem is I didn't realise the race would last so long with all the stops for cautions and what not, so I had to multitask during one of the cautions and wee in my used coffee cup....even my guinea pig was looking at me with strange disbelief....maybe I should not have mentioned that but ach well whats one meant to do when there's iRating at stake
Quote from AlienT. :Well just finished my first Oval race of the season, managed a 5th place and an increase in SR (very unusual for me). Oval is fun fun fun and very very intense running door to door round the bends.

Only problem is I didn't realise the race would last so long with all the stops for cautions and what not, so I had to multitask during one of the cautions and wee in my used coffee cup....even my guinea pig was looking at me with strange disbelief....maybe I should not have mentioned that but ach well whats one meant to do when there's iRating at stake

lol
If it makes you feel any better I gave iR a try again for an hour with 900 degrees and my opinion remains unchanged.

It in no way pulled me in and I honestly can't see what you guys are paying for but meh.
Banging my head against a brick wall. :doh:
I had a quick go last night before it went down for maintenance*.
The interface is horrible, and if their website isn't working then you can't even practice offline.

The netcode seems appalling, I was entering T2 at Laguna and could see a car in my mirror exiting T1...next thing I know his car is INSIDE my car.

As far as the driving goes, it wasn't too bad...certainly better than rFactor or any of the GTR games, I will reserve judgement on NKPro until they have a tintop to compare with. The feel was there, but it will obviously take a little adapting to.

* - Maintenance implies planned downtime, it seemed very much like it broke and they stuck the page up as an afterthought.
Quote from Bean0 :* - Maintenance implies planned downtime, it seemed very much like it broke and they stuck the page up as an afterthought.

The word maintenance doesn't necessarily imply being scheduled or planned, and using the maintenance page is the planned action, not an afterthought, when maintenance is performed on their site. Other than that, you are correct. It broke.

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG