The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
So your saying that having to stop to even adjust FFB settings and start the race again is a good idea?
Quote from Jakg :So your saying that having to stop to even adjust FFB settings and start the race again is a good idea?

Wouldn't it make more sense to find settings during practise session?
It's pretty irresponsible to join a race without having any experience on the track first.
Quote from Jakg :Why do i need to stop the car before I can change the FOV even when i'm offline - wtf?!

U can use "[" and "]" to change FOV while ingame.
Quote from Crommi :Wouldn't it make more sense to find settings during practise session?
It's pretty irresponsible to join a race without having any experience on the track first.

I was offline in the most practicey mode I could find. It just seemed totally nonsensical I had to park up and start all over again just because my FFB was 1 notch too high
Quote from AlienT. :
As to whether you will get to keep the Radical and silverstone after the 1 month I really don't know, it would be real nice for the new guys if you did. Maybe check out the Radical website see if it mentions anything there?

I asked customer support about this, and they said that we get to keep the SR8 and Silverstone. W00T!
Damn you noobs I want a refund

Hehe good on you!
I have to say Jakg is absolutely right in that LFS is a lot more user friendly. LFS is a very smartly coded piece of software. The fact that you can change every single setting without even leaving the car let alone the game is brilliant. iRacing is indeed far clunkier, but then again, so are most games/racing sims, afaik.

Couldn't agree less on Jakg's complaints about the driving experience in iRacing, though. But I guess the fact that he thinks it's impossible to drift in iRacing says enough.
Jakg, it can be an annoyance to have to stop the car before doing anything, but there's a method to their madness. If everyone could exit while the car was at full speed, the iRacing safety rating system goes out the window... Everyone would just quickly hit shift-p before any impacts or incidents against their license occurred.

I know, I know, you were just in practice mode... If everyone has the option to shift-p out of sticky situations in practice, how well do you think they'd handle the same situation in a race?
Tbh, I kind of like the whole safety rating thing. Yeah, you get screwed if somebody crashes into you (happened a few times to me) or if you abandon a race, etc., but it's a good way to track the "experience" and "cleanliness" of a given racer. Kind of like mileage on LFS world, but more reflective, if you will.
Quote from Linsen :I have to say Jakg is absolutely right in that LFS is a lot more user friendly. LFS is a very smartly coded piece of software. The fact that you can change every single setting without even leaving the car let alone the game is brilliant. iRacing is indeed far clunkier, but then again, so are most games/racing sims, afaik.

Couldn't agree less on Jakg's complaints about the driving experience in iRacing, though. But I guess the fact that he thinks it's impossible to drift in iRacing says enough.

Yes i got lost the first time i was on the iRacing website. I spend 30 minutes figuring out how to get in a race. I don't think it took me more then 3 minutes to start up a demorace in LFS the first time.
Quote from Linsen :Couldn't agree less on Jakg's complaints about the driving experience in iRacing, though. But I guess the fact that he thinks it's impossible to drift in iRacing says enough.

In my defence I haven't driven anything RWD properly since Spring last year :P

It's hard to drift my FWD 84hp car :P

May give iR another try tonight if I have time...
Well, tbh the Solstice is one of the worst cars to introduce new customers to iRacing. The steering on it feels dead compared to all the cars without powersteering, and it's not really anything like the Skippy or the Radical around an intense track like Limerock Park.

In that regard, the Legends car is a far better introduction to oval racing in iRacing than the Solstice is to road racing.
Quote from Jertje :Well, tbh the Solstice is one of the worst cars to introduce new customers to iRacing. The steering on it feels dead compared to all the cars without powersteering, and it's not really anything like the Skippy or the Radical around an intense track like Limerock Park.

In that regard, the Legends car is a far better introduction to oval racing in iRacing than the Solstice is to road racing.

However once you do get into the swing of things, the solstice is loads of fun to race with
Quote from spanks :However once you do get into the swing of things, the solstice is loads of fun to race with

Yes, no doubt!
Applied with the 1month free voucher thingy
According to the first practice sessions on Lime Rock and Laguna Seca, in the Solstice, iRacing feels great
Does take some getting used to..
Prejudice is a bad thing. You'll miss out on great things like that.

Off to wait for some more sessions.
Quote from spanks :However once you do get into the swing of things, the solstice is loads of fun to race with

Indeed, racing online with the solstice round limerock is great, it is certainly fun to drive on the limit
Just got my promotional code, at 9 am, while I'm at work. Now I have to wait until 5 to go home to try it out.
Quote from UncleBenny :Just got my promotional code, at 9 am, while I'm at work. Now I have to wait until 5 to go home to try it out.

it is quite fun actually, but remember to keep your force feedback over 35, so game gives you more accurate feel of the Iracing itself.
Quote from UncleBenny :Just got my promotional code, at 9 am, while I'm at work. Now I have to wait until 5 to go home to try it out.

Are you not starting to feel ill? I think you better go home to avoid spreading you sickness bug around the workplace
Quote from EliteAti :it is quite fun actually, but remember to keep your force feedback over 35, so game gives you more accurate feel of the Iracing itself.

Well, if you adjust FFB based on Solstice which has powersteering, other cars will rip your arms off

Can you connect to your home PC and set it away downloading ?
Nah, don't have my IP on hand. I usually go home for lunch, I'll kick off the download then.
Quote from Crommi :Well, if you adjust FFB based on Solstice which has powersteering, other cars will rip your arms off

I tried it since Tuesday, and I have some major gripe with the FFB: the bumps are coming through the wheel so hard they're drowning out every bit of Self-Aligning Torque there is... Maybe my setup is wrong (105% overall, nothing else), but as it is I have the choice between getting my wrist broken by all the FFB spikes (it's really 0-100-0 % in a split-second) or not having any feel at all for what the tyres are doing...

Granted, my RL car has no downforce and it's not on wide slicks, but I've yet to feel a bump that is (so much) stronger than SAT...
Be sure to set your in-game FFB strength at between say, 9 and 15. I think the default is 12 and I've found it feels better even a little lower than that.
Ran home for lunch and got it all installed. Took the Radical out for a couple laps at Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. The tracks definitely feel awesome, they actually have some character with all the bumps and everything. The weird thing was the Radical seemed too easy to drive, maybe the default setup is just really understeery though? I obviously need more time with the game to made some more accurate judgements, those are just the first couple things I thought of thought. The feeling I got from the game was definitely not the same as LFS, it actually reminded me a lot more of how the cars in GTR feel(not that I'm saying GTR is up to iRacing standards, because I know its not). I'm looking forward to getting up to speed in iRacing though, I know driving on the limit is going to feel a lot different than slow-poking around like I just was.

Now my main problem is I'm really hungry. I forgot to eat so I only had time to grab two slices of bread on my way out the door.

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG