The online racing simulator
Would You Let Him Carry On?
(39 posts, started )

Poll : What would you do for the boy in the article?

Explain what will happen but let him keep the saw and make his own decision.
Let him keep sawing.
Give him a chainsaw.
Take the saw off him to stop him injuring himself.
#1 - amp88
An interesting article from BBC News. It debates the pros and cons of letting children expose themselves to an element of risk. Today's society is all about cotton wool, trying to avoid risk (and any resultant lawsuits). There have been numerous generations who have grown up without being stifled by this and we all came away with a few grazed knees/elbows and the occasional broken wrist...but we learnt from the experience.

So, what would you do for the kid in the picture?
#2 - th84
If it were my son I would stop him and ask him what he was doing and if he understood the consequences. If he didn't understand I would explain it to him and then let him decide if he wanted to continue... and then laugh like hell when he hit the water.
Explain what will happen but let him keep the saw and make his own decision.

Told him it will hurt, now its up to him if he wants to continue.
Explain what might happen, but let him find out for himself if I'm telling the truth. It'll do him good in the long run, and the chances of injury are miniscule.

However, this isn't a good example, because it wouldn't be that wrong to take the saw off him and give him a good slap. But if he was climbing a tree or wanted to learn how to saw stuff, or use big nails, or wire a wall socket then I'd positively encourage it. My children are going to spend the best part of their youth millimeters from certain death
the world needs more engineers... with any kid whod try this without understanding what will happen we can only hope its a nasty fast stream with lots of spiky rocks in it
Where's the "nick the saw and push him in anyway" option?

I think I'd leave him continue. But stay nearby to stop him drowning when he does fall. What's the worst that could happen?
at the end of the day, it all comes down to common sense. The kids around us now are growing up in a society increasingly dependant upon a state that informs us all what to do/eat/drink etc, which is eroding the need for common sense as they will just end up thinking along the lines of 'the government says thats good so I'll do it'

Let kids (and adults) learn from their mistakes, and remove this ever-present nagging nanny state from our lives
#8 - 5haz
Advise the kid that it might not end well, but don't go on about it and let them carry on, then when they fall in they'll realise that you were right.

I wouldn't be letting small kids run around with a tenon saw in the first place anyway!

Quote from mookie427 :at the end of the day, it all comes down to common sense. The kids around us now are growing up in a society increasingly dependant upon a state that informs us all what to do/eat/drink etc, which is eroding the need for common sense as they will just end up thinking along the lines of 'the government says thats good so I'll do it'

Let kids (and adults) learn from their mistakes, and remove this ever-present nagging nanny state from our lives

Hah indeed, in one of Clarkson's books he says about how when he was in America one cop told him "Who needs logic when you have laws and regulations?"
I would explain what will happen if he continues (not that he could though, as his weight would pinch the saw between the two bits of half cut wood) If he carries on it is very much up to him.

In order to grow up, you need to know the meaning of danger. I certianly had no fear when i was really small as i had no reason to, it takes a few knocks, falling over, or in on case for me, learning to ride a bike and ignoring the advice not to pull the front brake hard when going fast, but it teaches you that pain hurts, and it is an essential life skill, and defence mechanism, to know what is and is not dangerous. Its pretty much as important as knowing right from wrong i think.

Wrap kids in cotton wool, and they will be a walking accident with no sense of danger when they finally have to come to terms with the big bad world and all the danger in it. A few grazes and nosebleeds as a youngster never did me any harm.
I generally agree with the notion that many kids today are coddled and overprotected, but I'm not sure that picture represents the best situation for backing off and allowing him to figure it out for himself. That saw is sharp and could do some serious (i.e. permanent) damage. Admittedly that isn't all that likely, though.

A better scenario is one where he goes out to a mostly-frozen two-foot deep puddle in winter and tests the thickness of the ice by standing on it. At worst he'll get wet and muddy and we'll have a laugh.
very bais poll, theirs no " beat him until her gets smart " option...

BOT: id whoop him till he sees about as good as stevie wonder...

you wouldn't want me as yoru father....

Perfection is everything, give it everything or dont bother at all....
Chainsaw ftw!
To be honest when I was a little boy, my father explained to me what would happen. So I made the decision, sometimes they weren't the best... but... okay I guess. As I grew older I took more safety precautions, due to knowing what would happen if I didn't.

What he's doing is dangerous, he could ruin his whole life. I wouldn't let him do it. I'd take away the saw, and explain to him never do it again. Which my father did in some situations.
Let him carry on. He wouldn't believe you whatever you said. Don't you know, kids know everything.
Quote from Doorman :Let him carry on. He wouldn't believe you whatever you said. Don't you know, kids know everything.

Ah.... kids... I got a picture of something like you said.
People are free to do whatever they want, aslong as that hurt other people, so I would first ask him if he knew what he was doing there, and if he didnt, Id explain it to him, and then its his desicion(sp?) to make what he thinks is the best for him.
Anyway Id be less likely going into an area where a, the kids are that stupid to do that and b, a bridge, made of one wooden pice, in the middle of the woods of nowhere, is.

So I dont think ill ever be in this situation.

Time errors may be in there, but hey, it's 1:45am here, so don't blame me.
"Explain what will happen but let him keep the saw and make his own decision."

Telling a kid "No, its bad, don't do it" will just increase their curiosity.

I find it hilarious that parents go around saying drugs are bad don't do them.
Yet they never actually do any research and give their kids proper educated reasons (Both pros and cons) as to why they're bad.
Quote from Klutch :
I find it hilarious that parents go around saying drugs are bad don't do them.
Yet they never actually do any research and give their kids proper educated reasons (Both pros and cons) as to why they're bad.

I think I wouldnt educate my kid after pro and con lists, but I think I'd give em some reasons why they shouldnt be doing that, and should be doing this.
"here, sonny... try this on for size" (hands kid the chainsaw, as he is in a hurry, but also wishes to see something amusing)
Quote from Stefani24 :I think I wouldnt educate my kid after pro and con lists, but I think I'd give em some reasons why they shouldnt be doing that, and should be doing this.

If a person has their eyes set on doing drugs, no ammount of "No, dont do it" will tell them otherwise.

Educating them on the risks and how to be safe about it is the best bet.
Alot of people says that encourages them to do it..but lets face it, if a kids going to do them he'll do it anyway
Quote from Lateralus :I generally agree with the notion that many kids today are coddled and overprotected, but I'm not sure that picture represents the best situation for backing off and allowing him to figure it out for himself. That saw is sharp and could do some serious (i.e. permanent) damage. Admittedly that isn't all that likely, though.

A better scenario is one where he goes out to a mostly-frozen two-foot deep puddle in winter and tests the thickness of the ice by standing on it. At worst he'll get wet and muddy and we'll have a laugh.

I agree with this. I voted to take the saw away from him in this particular case because a saw could do some serious damage if he's unlucky. Plus it's not really clear how deep or shallow the stream below him is (is it deep enough from him to drown in should he fall and break something?) and I see some nasty rocks there as well. If he should fall and land his head on those...

However, in less hazardous circumstances I would let my kid find out for himself, either after having warned him or not, depending on the situation. No better lesson than experience!

Quote from Klutch :If a person has their eyes set on doing drugs, no ammount of "No, dont do it" will tell them otherwise.

Educating them on the risks and how to be safe about it is the best bet.

Alot of people says that encourages them to do it..but lets face it, if a kids going to do them he'll do it anyway

Exactly. I think when you raise children in the end all you can hope for is that you've educated them enough about the dangers - and possible consequences - of such things and that they will have enough sense to make the right decision for themselves.
I'd tell him that he'd fall and hurt himself if he'd continue. I wouldn't stop him though. He'll from it.
Give him a chainsaw, that way he will learn even quicker!
Quote from Bladerunner :Give him a chainsaw, that way he will learn even quicker!

Yeah, but he'll be learning how to eat through a straw.

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG