The online racing simulator
barrier bug
(62 posts, started )
I believe a "standard" easy method to deal with the issue is, that when you detect the collision and penetration (ie. the car is a certain distance inside the barrier) you will "go back" in time using smaller time steps to find the point and time of collision with much higher accuracy and then calculate the appropriate behaviour for that collision, taking into account the time that has already passed since it occured. Currently what looks like is being done is a typical "push the object away from the collision" when the objects intersect, which, with deep penetration, leads to very large forces that throw the car around.

It's pretty much a non-issue for any game today really, maybe around 2015 we'll finally see it fixed in LFS aswell :P
Search..
Scawen already posted that he will address this very problem soon. It was at the top of the list so it has high priority. EDIT: Well, it's ON the list, that's enough for me.

Quote from Scawen :
[snip]
-Improve collision physics.[snip]

Quote from kiss me :
[snip]
when will this bug be adressed?
[snip]

He told us why he doesn't give exact release time frames.

Quote from Scawen :I've explained a few times, that anything we mention that is planned, or a possibility, or something we might like to do at some time, soon becomes, in the eyes of many readers, a promise that we have made, and is later held against us when the feature is not done in the time scale imagined by the reader. So, why give people the stick to hit us with? This we have learned from some not very nice experiences. You should try to learn from your experiences!

Quote from JasonJ :Scawen already posted that he will address this very problem soon. It was at the top of the list so it has high priority.

Ok good, I'll change my estimate to 2012 then
Quote from Kegetys :Ok good, I'll change my estimate to 2012 then

Quote from Scawen :
[snip]
- Improve collision physics
- Break off wings instead of bending
- Finish and release Westhill updates
- Improve track shadow rendering DONE
- RB4 / UF1 / UFR interiors
[snip]

How about an estimate now sir?
Quote from JasonJ :How about an estimate now sir?

Same, 2012. Maybe 2013 - 2014 if it's the last of the list to be done (I'd love to be wrong but I'm afraid I might not)
Oh well, don't take me the wrong way. I was just saying that things on that list have started. I'm just glad it's there on the to-do. I really love this sim and I would probably wait 50 years for it to be finished. I'm used to delays in game releases. I think I'm immune to it now.
this bug really sucks. i hope they fix it soon.
i can drive, not so well, but i can..
but everyone makes mistakes, and when they do... they fly off
ok, i only play cruise servers... but still...
well, just hope it gets fixed soon
or maybe, a program of some sort wich integrates them in the track, making them (non-static)? allways confused between the two

grts
ill be done.... in this long
|----------|
Quote from chavm481 :ill be done.... in this long
|----------|

with each '-' representing the time it takes to implement a Volkswagen car into LFS.
GOD DAMMIT PATIENCE. It's a piece of alpha software, there are going to be bugs and delays!
I agree s14. However, from what i understand, this particular bug has been there since pretty much the beginning of LFS, which is quite a while now. You couldn't be blamed for thinking that the devs would maybe fix existing problems first, before creating something new to LFS that adds to the possibilty of more problems and bugs.
A translation to English would be nice.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :A translation to English would be nice.

LOL don't you understand? I do ("original, modified, car-bumping, barrier-bumping, go-through")
Sorry I don't speak "Eastern European"

I saw the difference, just didn't y'know.. match the words.
I remember this bug from the first time i played, it could be used to have some fun tho...
The bug is not bad =) its fun to fly around
If they aren't going to continue developing the game like it should be developed, then they need to start allowing a little more game modification from outside sources.

I've said it for years, this is one of the poorest managed game development groups I've ever seen. Everone says, "Well you have to remember it's just three guys..." The thing is, there should be a lot more people working on this, and the reason their isn't is management. The problem is, they've waited so long to do anything about it that it's almost a lost cause if they want to catch up with iRacing.
Quote from BigTime :if they want to catch up with iRacing.

Even if they wanted, funnily enough the only part of iRacing which has been expanding steadily is content. One year after going public they still have no transmission simulation to speak of
LFS is the worst flight sim ever
lol!!!!!!!!! the barrier bug makes lfs what it is
... a hardcore simulation?
Quote from John5200 :... a hardcore simulation?

Yes. Hardcore simracers never crash so they would never experience this bug.
Quote from Shadowww :Yes. Hardcore simracers never crash so they would never experience this bug.

Wrong. Hardcore simracers would sit in their ultra-realistic motion simulators and get killed in the crash, resulting in them being a bit too dead to care

barrier bug
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG