The online racing simulator
barrier bug
(62 posts, started )
Quote from morpha :Wrong. Hardcore simracers would sit in their ultra-realistic motion simulators and get killed in the crash, resulting in them being a bit too dead to care

Quote from morpha :Wrong. Hardcore simracers would sit in their ultra-realistic motion simulators and get killed in the crash, resulting in them being a bit too dead to care

This would solve a few problems.
Quote from Flame CZE :But Scawen will fix it when he wants to do it.

ah yea when he wants to do it, but its a very realistic, high respected online racing simulator, and it comes down to "he'll do it when he wants" isnt very good is it? it should be done straight away weather he wants to or not.
Quote from xtraction :ah yea when he wants to do it, but its a very realistic, high respected online racing simulator, and it comes down to "he'll do it when he wants" isnt very good is it? it should be done straight away weather he wants to or not.

I still don't agree. It's his decision whether he will do it or not. It's his sim and it should be a sim that he would like to play. So we can't command him to do something. He knows it but now he has got some more important things to do in LFS than this.

It's like... "come on, this is a realistic simulator, why there are not dynamic reflections, sun glare, visible pedals, working wipers, dust on the windshield etc? Please do it now!". It's not possible.
But to be honest, it's starting to get a little funny, that bug has been in LFS since day one, maybe it's time to finally fix it?

And the worst thing is that there are users that have fixed this bug themself, so it canot be that hard. Why not just make it rock-solid like fences on autocross track, I canot think that will be to hard to just code it to work like that - but having the same good old shape.

Hopefully we'll see it fixed in the next patch, when that comes out!
Have you ever coded 3D applications before? Object collision is a bitch, if it was an easy fix as you say, it would have been fixed already, but I don't think it is such an easy thing to fix. Layouts add floating objects, so it needs to have a more dynamic engine to make these extra object work. I don't wanna go into details because most would be speculation, but from my small experience with coding for 3D it is really difficult to keep frame rate down when dealing with object collision.

I have seen the fixes you mention. However, they do not show how the rest of the game functioning. My guess is that the rest of the physics is mashed to allow the solid barrier to work.
I agree, saying it's easy is a wrong statement, because if it was easy it would be fixed long time ago. The reason why it happens, the space-launch, is due to lag, physics and other things that happens when you hit that barrier.

I just think that new shiny stuff can wait, that bug need to be fixed ASAP, the game has been out for over 7 years, and with a game-breaking bug like that it should be one of the main priorities to find a work-around on.

I know it's not just to push the "FIX" button, but are there no way to redefine that object as a wall? Sure, you can go through wall with enough force and speed, but at least it's much harder than getting into space after hitting a barrier.

Again, sorry for saying it was easy, it's not easy do not missunderstand me on that. But if the developers put down all their time and effort and just focusing on that particullary bug, and fix it / finds a workaround for it, it would make a lot of the old, and new users happy. Think of the new fun you could do with autocross editor when you don't have to think about space-launch pads (aka barriers)
Believe me, I would like nothing more than damage and collision bugs fixed of course. I think it has been put to the bottom of the to-do list because it doesn't effect race-track racing, I mean, normal racing doesn't use barriers so it's not so important to fix it ASAP. Also (I think) it's been put aside for so long because of the massive job it is to fix, almost to the point where we would have to wait along time between patches. ( sound familiar? /me hopes )

The barrier collisions involve a lot more things than just that. Notice when you are on-line you can easily get a space flight, yet in single player the crash physics are much more realistic and less objectionable; proof that the barrier physics are interacting with a lot more we may perceive on the surface. A really, really big job to fix this in my opinion.
Quote from JasonJ :Have you ever coded 3D applications before? Object collision is a bitch, if it was an easy fix as you say, it would have been fixed already, but I don't think it is such an easy thing to fix.

So what you're suggesting is that video we've all seen is a fake?
No,

I once hacked a save file in Wolf3d and it game me 999 bullets and side-effect was wall hack.

Just because the barrier bug was fixed in that video, doesn't mean collisions with other solid objects still works fine nor multiplayer, many things could be messed up.... meh.
Well, how is this problem fixed in physics engines like ODE? Is collision checking simply running at a higher rate?
I supose there should be a simple 2d collision system getting updated much more frequently than the 3d collision one, and if the 2d collision system detects a collision between the car and the bareer, it calls the 3d collision system to sort out the stuff.

That solves the things in this way: when the 3d collision system is updated 200 times per second, the collision may be detected when the car is already on the barrier, as we know. However, the 2d collision system is much faster and won't slow down the game if it runs at much higher rate. It will detect when the car has touched the barrier (in a 2d way), and in this case it will update the 3d collision system one more time then the usual 200 times per second.
However, if the car is above the barrier, the 3d collision system will not detect collision at all so that's not an issue.
-
(bunder9999) DELETED by bunder9999
I think Scawen has always know what the problem is. If he did not fix it (wich certainly needs a re-code) is because is not worth the time (can't be for compatibility issues)

Maybe he is waiting for a new damage model to do a new collisions detection system, nobody knows

barrier bug
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG