The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
Well, if it's any consolation here's proof that even people used to snow and ice can have the occasional slip-up on the stuff.

(It's been through Google translate, so it reads a bit like Petter Solberg wrote it, but the pictures pretty much sum it up.)
had a good 4-5 inches in Oxford last night, quite a bit melted by this evening but we're expecting another 4-5 inches tonight
There was approx 4 inches on the ground here in Thatcham this morning. Was just all mush by the time I got back this evening, but hey..
According to some of the weather reports, we are to get between 4 and 6 inches of snow where i am in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Bearing in mind we had about 3 inches this morning and the roads were total ****ing chaos, tomorrow's journey to work could be a little interesting!
Sunday night's snow only just started dissapearing today, although it rained last night, which didn't help with ice.

I hope the forecast snow doesn't come to the SE, I'm getting fed up of snow, it's made me behind on all my college subjects, and I keep stacking it while running for the bus; piss off snow.
Congrats to all of you guys. You've made the local news here in western PA with your snow. The UK gets on the national news, but never on the local broadcasts.
Why doesn't the BBC video recommend Cadence braking..... It beggars belief really... Cadence braking is the best way to slow down in icy/slippery conditions and the BBC fail to mention it?
...driving on ice and snow needs to be a prerequisite exam for the test, many many lives could be saved if people where made to sit a 'virtual hazardous driving test' imo...anyway; I think I've had just about enough of coldness.

I am in the mountains on the east coast and i am fuppen freeeeezin'

Please snow, please stop

It's notsobad with snow on it's own but when that rain comes with the snow it's bloody iceacles

IM CCCCCCCCCCCCCCOLD
First time in about 2 years we got <a lot of> snow. Schools a b**ch and does give us a break tho.

Moped + Snow = Fun

E: got a call just now, brothers been in an accident on the ice up in Michigan

Car + Snow = Damage D:
But Car + snow = not fun as well? :o
Sorry, no offense intended... but this is absolutely laughable..

We recently (maybe about 2 or 3 weeks back) got almost 2 feet of snow over the course of 24 hours and absolutely nothing stopped.... LOL... I guess you guys don't have snow tires eh?
Not even the Subway (underground) stopped nor the surface transit lines.
Quote from mrodgers :Congrats to all of you guys. You've made the local news here in western PA with your snow. The UK gets on the national news, but never on the local broadcasts.

:woohoo:
I must say, I'd rather have your very occasional 1 inch of snow rather than my bi-weekly 10 inches. Besides, when it's not snowing, you get wind cold enough to actually freeze your beard over. I'm still not sure which of the two I hate the most. Snow is annoying if you've got a car, but apart from that, assuming that you hire someone to clear your drive-way, it's pretty much a non-issue.

I'd really prefer living in England, even if it means going around perpetually with an umbrella.

/page claim. This one is mine, all mine! muahah!
Quote from boosterfire :....assuming that you hire someone to clear your drive-way....

Clear the driveway? What's that?

I gave up on the driveway. My wife has 4WD (well, actually "automatic" AWD which sucks) and I leave my car and take her car (Ok, actually SUV, but small one) to work when the snow flies. I'd rather her not go out in it with the kids anyways, so if her car is at my work, she can't leave.
So; I've had 1 day of school this week. I'm fed up of the snow now. I have important work and I have to get a train to London today. I don't think either will be happening any time soon.
Hmm, no snow here anymore, just started raining heavily though, looks like it's gonna be like this all day.
A lot of snow here! 5 inches deep already and still snowing!
Attached images
PICT0361.JPG
PICT0360.JPG
PICT0359.JPG
PICT0358.JPG
PICT0357.JPG
PICT0356.JPG
PICT0355.JPG
PICT0354.JPG
PICT0353.JPG
PICT0350.jpg
Quote from shaun463 :A lot of snow here! 5 inches deep already and still snowing!

That ain't 5 inches! More like 3cm... But yeah, what a lovely suburban scene.
Yeah Shaun that's kinda nothing really
Loving the snow, no less than 14 buses stuck over a third of a mile (according to google maps) on Headington Hill, a small hill in Oxford.

Quote from BlueFlame :Why doesn't the BBC video recommend Cadence braking..... It beggars belief really... Cadence braking is the best way to slow down in icy/slippery conditions and the BBC fail to mention it?

Cadence braking is not an effective way to stop a car in snow. Locking the wheels and letting the snow build up can be the only way of stopping, precisely the time you don't want ABS.
Attached images
n692291076_2502693_4769.jpg
n692291076_2502694_5023.jpg
n692291076_2502695_5551.jpg
n692291076_2502696_5821.jpg
n692291076_2502697_6191.jpg
n692291076_2502698_6474.jpg
Those picutres are of Monday. Today we have about 5 inches .
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Quiet alot came down here in Somerset

It's still fecking snowing in good old Bristol atm. No gritters have been out where I live either

If only I didn't work from home
Quote from ajp71 :Loving the snow, no less than 14 buses stuck over a third of a mile (according to google maps) on Headington Hill, a small hill in Oxford.

yeah they've stopped the buses going up there now. I never knew you were an Oxfordian, whereabouts do you hail from?

still snowing in Oxford, albeit lighter than earlier
Quote from ajp71 :Loving the snow, no less than 14 buses stuck over a third of a mile (according to google maps) on Headington Hill, a small hill in Oxford.

Cadence braking is not an effective way to stop a car in snow. Locking the wheels and letting the snow build up can be the only way of stopping, precisely the time you don't want ABS.

Well, as much as I never thought of that, I'd rather Cadence brake, there's bound to be ice underneath the snow and it's not generally driving on snow that is the issue it's driving on snow that is on ice that is the issue, that's why the crashes happen, if your tyres are in contact with the tarmac there shouldn't be a problem slowing down.

If you are the first person onto a freshly snowed-on road I can understand a locking technique, but if it has been tracked or 'footprinted' by previous vehicles going on the road before me, I'd trust cadence braking as a first instinct.
Quote from mookie427 :yeah they've stopped the buses going up there now. I never knew you were an Oxfordian, whereabouts do you hail from?

still snowing in Oxford, albeit lighter than earlier

I hail from the drunken haze that is Brookes, not a true Oxfordian

Quote from BlueFlame :Well, as much as I never thought of that, I'd rather Cadence brake, there's bound to be ice underneath the snow and it's not generally driving on snow that is the issue it's driving on snow that is on ice that is the issue, that's why the crashes happen, if your tyres are in contact with the tarmac there shouldn't be a problem slowing down.

If you are the first person onto a freshly snowed-on road I can understand a locking technique, but if it has been tracked or 'footprinted' by previous vehicles going on the road before me, I'd trust cadence braking as a first instinct.

If you're on ice and having difficultly braking cadence braking isn't going to help you stop, finding a patch of snow or tarmac is your only real hope, just getting out of the worn tracks and locking up on slush will be better than sitting on ice.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG