The online racing simulator
free up space on my HD
(53 posts, started )
free up space on my HD
I have a 500GB drive and, it almost full, i deleted my recycle bin, disk cleanup, defrag, i wanted to know how i can free more space beacause im running out, i dont have many large files.. the bigest is 12GB of rfactor. any ideas?
"deleted my recycle bin" - As in emptied it or deleted the shortcut ?

If anything, that wont help. I'm sure files are slightly compressed whilst stored in the recycle bin ?

If you have FRAPS or other recording programs, check the files sizes of videos. Some videos I had were about 30 seconds in length yet took up a gig or 2 each !

Music: Go through it & delete any unwanted tracks. That can often free up a fair bit of space.

Any school/college/uni work, save on external harddrives or USB sticks. Helps transporting them & saves space from the main drive
no documents :S... i empty the bin twice daily, no videos, they kill, and i heard about deleting shadow copies somewere...
Delete any unnecessary files/programs?
#5 - Woz
If you have Vista run a disk cleanup and remove all but the latest restore point. With a drive that size you will get over 20+Gb back (No joke)

I have a 110Gb Vista paartition and it can eat 20Gb on restore points (Tops out around that level for me)
If you have a 500gb hard drive and it's full, then you've put that much on it. You simply have to delete stuff. Uninstall programs you don't use, delete music or video files you don't use, delete torrents you've downloaded. Just using a computer doesn't fill up a 500 gig hard drive. It's full of stuff you have put on there.
#7 - Jakg
CCleaner?
Go to My Computer, Find the drive, open it, go into all of your Program Files, My Documents..etc See how big they are - then delete things you don't use.

There aren't any tools in existance that will just give you extra space.
Quote from chavm481 :I have a 500GB drive and, it almost full, i deleted my recycle bin, disk cleanup, defrag, i wanted to know how i can free more space beacause im running out, i dont have many large files.. the bigest is 12GB of rfactor. any ideas?

Get rid of rFactor, will sort you right out.

I have to say I only have a 160gb HD (132gb usable, rest is backup stuff) and I'm fine, with plently of music and movies, games and the like.. I don't see why people have big issues.

CCleaner cleaned about 5gb of stuff off my PC that I never even knew was there..
I use a little tool called Spacemonger. It creates a graphical representation of the contents of your HD where the size of the file or folder is represented by its' size on the screen. This is zoomable, scrollable and you can perform options like cut & paste, and delete on them. It's brilliant for finding what files are taking up the space.

http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/

In the download section, the official Spacemonger 2 is feature complete and free to use, but nagware. In the 'free software' tab is the older Spacemonger 1.4, which is totally free. I use 2, as I find the app more useful than the nagware is annoying.

Thanks alot Crash, Program working fine!
Quote from Jakg :CCleaner?

+1

I only have a little 70gb drive and i still have 42.1gb free space, and i have a hell of a lot of pictures and music, plus loads of programs.

I run ccleaner once a week and it usually clears about 700mb of junk, which means i get more or less 1% more of my drive back. i guess with a bigger drive with more contents this formula still work roughly, so you could theoretically expect to get possibly up to 5gb or so of space back.
Go to your downloads folder and delete all of the contents in there.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Get rid of rFactor, will sort you right out.

I have to say I only have a 160gb HD (132gb usable, rest is backup stuff) and I'm fine, with plently of music and movies, games and the like.. I don't see why people have big issues.

CCleaner cleaned about 5gb of stuff off my PC that I never even knew was there..

pssh i have a 160 too, but rfactor takes up 40gb, mirror's edge 6gb red alert 3 2gb and maybe another 10gb of music. All the videos i made in the past are probally worth 10gb too. Fallout 3, it's mods, and music that i backed up eat up my 40gb backup drive.
Yeh I had F3 installed a while ago.. it's like omnomnom HD space.
hot rid of restore points and got 50gb back
had to cleanup our other pc (has 'just' a 80gb drive) and was quite surprised how many useless files you find in the various C:/Documents and Settings folders, like a 580mb of savegames from (deinstalled) NFSU2, or the Temporary Internetfiles folder, that fills up even if you use Mozilla. And watch out if you have duplicated files, like for instance in both your music and torrent/download folder.
Strangely enough The old "EMPTY RECYCLING BIN" has got me a few gig back before
Quote from chavm481 :I have a 500GB drive and, it almost full, i deleted my recycle bin, disk cleanup, defrag, i wanted to know how i can free more space beacause im running out, i dont have many large files.. the bigest is 12GB of rfactor. any ideas?

delete all your pron ?
NEVER!!!! lol... i dont collect it (-.-)
TBH, I don't see how you can fill up a 500GB drive with everything you need. My 500GB contains everything I've ever downloaded (incl. Music, Games, Movies, etc.), all my music collections, an entire backup of my last Vista install that went tits up, every program, video and skin I've created. And it still has 185GB free Where are the days when I struggled to fill the 12GB drive on our first PC :rolleyes: (And that was a massive HDD back then)

If you have programs you don't use very often, uninstall them, but keep user files and the installation. That way you can re-install them at any time and still keep everything
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Get rid of rFactor, will sort you right out.

I fly flight simulator with FS9. My FS9 install is around 30 gig. I have never removed any LFS version folder because I like keeping old replays. LFS contains about 15 gig. I pretend I am a photographer. I have Adobe Lightroom and CS3, that takes up quite a bit of space. I also have around 15,000 photos as well as many digital videos of my kids. That takes up about 40 gig. Right there is 85 gig used up of my 200 gig hard drive. Add to that the XP install and that's probably at least half if not more of my drive. Install some more games such as GTA:SE, NR2003, a handful of games my kids play, Office, Firefox, some 3D home design programs, music and some video downloads, and misc. data files and my drive is quite full also.

It doesn't take long to fill up a hard drive these days.

free up space on my HD
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG