The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
might be true, but the MX-5 (especially the Mk.1) is not as aerodynamic as one would think..
#502 - ssm
Well, being a roadster, it isn't that aero dynamic..

But I am so in love with the TSX right now, I am going to try hard and save up...
Any more opinions on the Volvo 460?
Buy Pagani, its cheap and best to drive it from home to school
Also perfect as a first car!

Quote from Spangler_CZE :Buy Pagani, its cheap and best to drive it from home to school
Also perfect as a first car!

It's black. That means you'd have to wash it very oftenly (-ly?), which is a downside to be honest. You can't see anything through the center rear view mirror either. What a rubbish car, it's soooo unpractical
Quote from Jakg :Any more opinions on the Volvo 460?

whats your main reason for a change? And what your usual jurney (type and length)
Quote from Jakg :
I hate the fact that in the US a young-driver of my age can get an MX5 as their first car...

I'm a young driver of around your age, and I hate it to. I personally think its not a great idea to give someone with fairly limited driving exp. a fast small nimble, RWD car. So many things to go wrong. Personally, I want to get myself a scooby or an older quattro (if I could afford insurance, I'd love a bimmer). But I'll probably end up driving a CR-V. But at least its a 5 speed and can drift like a true AWD car in the snow/ice (as I found out during a recent ice storm). But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Quote from speed1 :I'm a young driver of around your age, and I hate it to. I personally think its not a great idea to give someone with fairly limited driving exp. a fast small nimble, RWD car. So many things to go wrong. Personally, I want to get myself a scooby or an older quattro (if I could afford insurance, I'd love a bimmer). But I'll probably end up driving a CR-V. But at least its a 5 speed and can drift like a true AWD car in the snow/ice (as I found out during a recent ice storm). But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I think he meant the fact that cars are so cheap to buy, insure and maintain in the US and A. Buying and running a Corvette costs as much in the US as doing the same with a Peugeot 106 in the UK.

Did you know that (most) cars cost 2.5 to 3 times less in the US than they do in the Netherlands?
Quote from robt :whats your main reason for a change? And what your usual jurney (type and length)

No change yet - but my car has a fair few things wrong with the engine (supposedly) and it's nice to know that if it did cost £500 to fix it I could swap for a car with a years MOT, Leather, AirCon, Alloys, Heated Seats & 2L engine and use slightly less fuel for the same insurance and only spend £250 extra

Usual Journey - 10 miles of country road then 10 miles of 70MPH dual carriageway to work,
7 miles of country roads to School,
4 miles of country roads to the GF.

EDIT - For reference - Fuel costs $1.31 per litre, the insurance on my car is costing $3,000 for one year on a 1.5 litre engined car - I've spent probably over $600 on driving lessons etc...

Insurance on anything fast is ridiculously expensive (i.e. if it's over 2L or remotely fast - I can't get it).
Thing is on English roads I bet you can as much fun with 100bhp as you can with 400 on American roads. (Yes I know, massive generalisation).

There's a little road by me, single track, that is just sublime for driving. When we were young and foolish you'd get some mates at either end to watch and warn you about traffic, then go for a proper blast. TBH there were usually only 1 or 2 cars coming along per hour, twas just a back-route for the main road. Full of first and 2nd gear corners, when you're spinning the wheels in 2nd with only 90bhp like we had at the time, you wonder if you really need any more.
Fun things you didn't think your car could do - wheelspin in 2nd gear on tarmac :P
Ahh the joy of open diffs and skinny tyres. Never gets old.
Quote from hrtburnout :I think he meant the fact that cars are so cheap to buy, insure and maintain in the US and A. Buying and running a Corvette costs as much in the US as doing the same with a Peugeot 106 in the UK.

Did you know that (most) cars cost 2.5 to 3 times less in the US than they do in the Netherlands?

I understand that completely; I wasnt real clear on that (the only thing that one of my Brit friends did was talk about how expensive cars and the things surrounding them were in the UK was). What I mean, is just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Personally, I would love a Miata, but I think that would be a bad idea for a number of reasons that I said before. Plus I would prefer a 4 door sedan/wagon to carry my bikes and crap in.
Quote from Jakg :No change yet - but my car has a fair few things wrong with the engine (supposedly) and it's nice to know that if it did cost £500 to fix it I could swap for a car with a years MOT, Leather, AirCon, Alloys, Heated Seats & 2L engine and use slightly less fuel for the same insurance and only spend £250 extra

Usual Journey - 10 miles of country road then 10 miles of 70MPH dual carriageway to work,
7 miles of country roads to School,
4 miles of country roads to the GF.

EDIT - For reference - Fuel costs $1.31 per litre, the insurance on my car is costing $3,000 for one year on a 1.5 litre engined car - I've spent probably over $600 on driving lessons etc...

Insurance on anything fast is ridiculously expensive (i.e. if it's over 2L or remotely fast - I can't get it).

so larger engine is better then smaller MPG wise for you, as lots is in the "high power" range (40+mph) Quite sure you could find something a little better for the price. mitsubishi carisma GDi models have good MPG (my girlfriends 1.8 gets about 45mpg!)
Quote from pb32000 :Ahh the joy of open diffs and skinny tyres. Never gets old.

But it is. Like people when they think they are doing a burnout but they are smoking their clutch. hahaha
Quote from pb32000 :
There's a little road by me, single track, that is just sublime for driving. When we were young and foolish you'd get some mates at either end to watch and warn you about traffic, then go for a proper blast. TBH there were usually only 1 or 2 cars coming along per hour, twas just a back-route for the main road. Full of first and 2nd gear corners, when you're spinning the wheels in 2nd with only 90bhp like we had at the time, you wonder if you really need any more.

Sounds like a bit same what we like to do here, but in gravel road.
I like to play on asphalt too but it's more random I think.

It's like the best thing what I can do, go mad with my Sierra in nice gravel road... Tho I don't agree with the power thing, I have about 140hp and I still keep thinking I need seriously more power. Only in winter it feels like enough. But well I'm a Finnish petrol-head so it explains something I think.

Tho when you think of it, nobody really NEEDS more than 70hp.
Quote from Jakg :

I hate the fact that in the US a young-driver of my age can get an MX5 as their first car...

why?
Quote from hrtburnout :You should press the 'engage brain'-button. Look a few posts up.

oh funny :dopey:

f u c k you
Quote from BlueFlame :Fail. Gigi Galli is Italian not Finnish.

He probably knows that but only meant that all Finns drive like that.
Quote from BigPeBe :He probably knows that but only meant that all Finns drive like that.

True. You got me there.
Quote from pb32000 :Thing is on English roads I bet you can as much fun with 100bhp as you can with 400 on American roads. (Yes I know, massive generalisation).

There's a road near mine that's amazing fun to drive down.

It goes through a wooded area, then to a more open area. Brilliant, probably less than 2 minutes if you drive it quickly. It's also wide enough for two cars to pass eachother, but it's still a national speed limit area.

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG